#1 Toroko

Toroko
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Korgath
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Demonology

Posted 10 August 2007 - 11:56 PM

Seems like most locks either have or are in line to get 3 dreadweave and 2 felweave for the extra 35 res bonus. Was just curious with the new 4 piece change to .2 seconds off fear if it would be worth going for. In a lot of situations I use fear as a heal interrupt when spellock is down and there have been times where I got it off literally .2 seconds too late. I'm still leaning towards the 3/2 for the 35 resilience bonus, but I was just wonder what others thought.

#2 Reziel

Reziel
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Bonechewer
  • Reckoning
  • Talents: Affliction

Posted 11 August 2007 - 12:05 AM

I was wondering this myself, if anyone can shed some light on their opinions

#3 Rycho

Rycho
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents:

Posted 11 August 2007 - 01:07 AM

not only do we gain the fear bonus, but assuming you don't play destruction (so crit is useless) you also gain a substantial amount of stam, int, and spell damage if you wear 5/5 dreadweave, which is what thats what i'm planning on doing.

#4 untitled2jc

untitled2jc
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Warsong
  • Ruin
  • Talents:

Posted 11 August 2007 - 04:46 AM

I'm staying with 3/2.

My reason of justifying this is because If I'm getting focused I rather have 35 resil then .2 seconds off fear, when I'm not getting focused neither or them really matter much. .2 seconds on a spell that has a cast time of the GCD is Meh IMO, On my team usually the battle is done by the time bloodlust is out so I guess I'm a little bias.
Looking for DK and Ench Shaman for 5v5 (pally priest FOK rogue shaman dk)

Also Armory - Untz (Hunter Warsong), Kuzbang (Rogue) , Kuzlol (Upcoming Druid) Untz (Warlock),
Teams I Need:
Hunter: All set
Rogue: 2v2 3v3 5v5
Druid: 2v2 3v3, 5v5
Paladin: 2v2, 3v3 , 5v5
Message me in game or on any messenger if interested.
Xfire: untitled2jc Aim: untitled2jc

#5 Vlast

Vlast
  • Members

Posted 11 August 2007 - 06:45 AM

Im actually going to do 4pc. Regardless of gcd and 35 resilence, 3/2 will never make or break you in any situation. For my play style I find im always in constant "who casted first" battles with other fears and/or flash heals. 4pc ftw

#6 Chasanak

Chasanak
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kalecgos
  • Shadowburn

Posted 11 August 2007 - 06:53 AM

As good as the bonus 35 res. is, I find that all too many pvp spells are 1.5sec cast and the .2 sec off might help with CC. However, my concern is that due to latency many spells will go off anyway (Hai2uQuartz). It's hard to say which is better, I'll probably get the 4pc first with gloves so it's a cheap mistake if i don't like it.

#7 kyoshi

kyoshi
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Azuremyst
  • Retaliation
  • Talents:

Posted 11 August 2007 - 07:29 PM

right now i have both the 2 piece bonuses...but im saving and picking up the 4 set specifically for the patch. it will make a difference. 35 resi is nice and all, but fear used correctly can make/break a game

#8 Drulethen

Drulethen
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Thunderlord
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Destruction

Posted 11 August 2007 - 07:48 PM

IMO, I think it really depends what spec you play as, and what your role is in the arena team.

Are you Soul link? You can afford to not have the extra 35 resilience bonus.

Are you Affliction? Hmmm sometimes every little bit counts. I get focused and blown away with 440 resilience... sometimes its a rough world to be a clothy.

Are you Destruction? You're just dead, no matter what way you look at it ;)

#9 Feldax

Feldax
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Nathrezim
  • Reckoning

Posted 11 August 2007 - 08:12 PM

I use fear almost solely as an interrupt, and I do notice on occasion heals getting off just before my cast completes. Thus I think the new 4-piece dreadweave sounds delicious. Also remember the felweave shoulders, and I think helm too, have more stam and resilience than the dreadweave, so make sure you pick the right 4 pieces if you go for this.

#10 Vlast

Vlast
  • Members

Posted 11 August 2007 - 09:52 PM

Your pretty nieve if you think affli has anymore survivability than destro, the only difference is attacking a destro lock is extremely dangerous in 5v5 and sometimes not to smart cause of nether protection. Only soullink gives you added survivability.

#11 Agnos

Agnos
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 11 August 2007 - 10:14 PM

If you're soul link, there's almost no chance 35 resilience will make or break a game. As any spec, 1.3sec cast Fears WILL.

As affliction it's a toss up, I'd say that if you're above 400 resilience with 4pc, stay with it, otherwise go with 3dread 2fel (shoulders/helm is best in most opinions). If you decide to go with 4pc, felweave shoulders are the same stats as dread, so there's no reason to get dreadweave unless you're lacking on spell hit (which imo is the most important stat on your entire gearset in pvp - get 39.)

As destruction, well... probably resilience, but it does give you the option to go 4fel and dread gloves, which is nice.

I for one will be going with 4pc, but I have 3dread/2fel atm, and plan on, every season (I did it last season as well) picking up both set helms. Not only for ability to switch back and forth for set bonuses, but alternative meta gems.

#12 Drulethen

Drulethen
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Thunderlord
  • Vindication

Posted 12 August 2007 - 02:17 AM

Your pretty nieve if you think affli has anymore survivability than destro, the only difference is attacking a destro lock is extremely dangerous in 5v5 and sometimes not to smart cause of nether protection. Only soullink gives you added survivability.

Lets not be hasty shall we? There is a reason why Destruction isn't viable and it IS smart to focus them. At least if you are getting attacked as affliction you still have your instant dots/IHOT. As destruction if u can't cast, you are worthless; minus backlash of course ;).

The ONLY reason Drakedogg or whatever his name is does well as destro is because those Asian players play weird and focus healers first, not dps in almost all scenarios, leaving casters to do as they please.

#13 Agnos

Agnos
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 12 August 2007 - 02:40 AM

The above poster has a point about drakedog o_O

However, I think that there are alot of reasons why, 'Technically' Destruction is just as tough as affliction is, as far as survivability goes. However, there are alot more reasons why 'practically' it loses in the end. Technically, Destruction loses little to pick up Fel Stamina and Demonic Aegis (the latter of which is absolutely huge, 6% more healing in a lineup with a druid or paladin is amazing), as well as has the ability to stun players WHILE doing damage, as opposed to a utility/defense fear spell, which by default is top of the list of unreliable CC (at least when it comes to getting melee off of you, Fear by itself is powerful, but not what I meant). - 0/16/45

Practically, however, having siphon life ticking, an instant fear, as opposed to a .5sec stun, the ability to stay mobile when possible and draining (more effectively than with a dest build) otherwise, destruction needs to be played a lot more defensively in order to utilize it's strengths, which is hard as a warlock against alot of melee classes, (not to mention that usually if you're speccing destruction, playing defense is the last thing on your mind). - So who knows, maybe dest is the right choice, but just 99% of players play it with the wrong mindset and its them who suck, not the spec!

#14 Kcolraw

Kcolraw
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Deathwing
  • Nightfall
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 12 August 2007 - 07:11 AM

i'm not allowed to spec anything that doesn't have soul link for 5v5 because our priests would rather spam mana burn than heal me :(

#15 Vlast

Vlast
  • Members

Posted 12 August 2007 - 07:23 AM

Ive played destro in our 5s for quite some time. It def does more damage when attacked then affliction. We went like 72-0 with me as destro and have 6 totally seperate 5v5 teams all ranging from 2100-2260ish. Destro is AMAZING in 5s if you know how to play it. It is by far the hardest spec to play as a warlock in 5v5 and takes the most skill. SnP has a 5dps video coming out soon where you can see it in action.

Dont even mention drakedog as destro in a 5v5, he played it to about 15% efficiency of what a destro lock can do.

#16 Drulethen

Drulethen
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Thunderlord
  • Vindication

Posted 12 August 2007 - 07:52 AM

I will remain skeptical. Unless you are playing in a zomg burn them down quick team I really can't see a destro lock being left alone to do much if anything besides the zomg free shadowbolt every 8 seconds.

#17 Kcolraw

Kcolraw
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Deathwing
  • Nightfall

Posted 12 August 2007 - 08:08 AM

what are you sceptical about? warlocks with any spec have fear, curse of tongues, and spell lock, and you spend half your global cooldowns ccing anyway, you can do your main jobs just as effectively with destro

oh and leaving a destro lock alone imho is pretty much like leaving a fire mage or shadow priest alone in 5v5...

#18 Drulethen

Drulethen
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Thunderlord
  • Vindication

Posted 12 August 2007 - 08:22 AM

I looked at how you spelled skeptical, then I looked it up, and lol'ed that they are both correct spelling and both mean the same thing. English language FTL.

Anyways you contradicted yourself proving my point for me.

oh and leaving a destro lock alone imho is pretty much like leaving a fire mage or shadow priest alone in 5v5...

This is exactly why once the team figures out you don't have soul link, you're dead and a worthless pile.

#19 Kcolraw

Kcolraw
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Deathwing
  • Nightfall

Posted 12 August 2007 - 08:53 AM

didn't contradict myself at all, i thought we were talking about how destro and ua have the same survivability (well, you were laughing at destro's lack of survivability while being an affliction player yourself)

#20 Eve

Eve
  • Members

Posted 12 August 2007 - 05:38 PM

i'm not allowed to spec anything that doesn't have soul link for 5v5 because our priests would rather spam mana burn than heal me :(

Correct :D! My job in 5v5 is not to stand still and heal you the entire time (if I wanted to do that I'd be a paladin). That and our poor paladin would have a heart attack as well.

So who knows, maybe dest is the right choice, but just 99% of players play it with the wrong mindset and its them who suck, not the spec!

I'm inclined to agree with you there. There seems to always be a "token" player for every spec. A full Disc priest, a ret paladin, a destro lock. Maybe it's not that they're exceptionally good, or "pulling off" something impossible. Maybe it's just that the token player just has the right attitude/mindset as far as how the class goes and everyone else just hasn't gotten there yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<