#1 Barriery

Barriery
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Drak'thul
  • Reckoning / Abrechnung
  • Talents: Windwalker 1/0/1/2/0/0/.

Posted 24 August 2015 - 05:07 AM

Hey guys, lately i was thinking about a melee hunter which I'm really excited about but I also have a lot of questions, i know there isn't any official specific info so just speculate and share what you think would work.

The main problem i see with a melee hunter right now is that if you just slap raptor strike and wing clip on him it will never work, hunters are obliterated by melee in seconds so there is no way we can go toe to toe with other melee without drastic changes, the same thing can be said about range classes, our main survivability against range is piller humping and avoiding bad positioning, that is also pretty much impossible as melee.

Every other melee has some kind of defensive mechanic like self healing, big defensive cooldowns, passive mitigation and great mobility, as it stands hunter has none of these things pretty much. So my question to you is what would you do / would like to see as melee hunter?

#2 eltharyonlol

eltharyonlol
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Steamwheedle Cartel
  • Glutsturm / Emberstorm
  • Talents: Survival 0/0/2/2/0/0/0
  • 2v2: 2404
  • 3v3: 2071
  • RBG: 1510

Posted 24 August 2015 - 03:15 PM

I have the feeling that melee hunters will just be bad for a long time.

I mean, I don't know anything more than you guys, but basing myself on precedents by both blizzards and what classes need we know that:

- It needs loads of Control (think of ferals chain stuns in incarnation or rogues,garrote, into garrote, into kidney into another kidney, into kick into gauge to reset DRs/cds etc)
-It needs very high damage see enha shamans, they have been pretty shit before buffs and they really couldn't play any other comp but turbo and get carried by war's damage while they spammed purge/off heals, WW monks are still in a similar situation, although it may change with the upcoming buffs.
-Lots of utility, something we don't have right now, alot of self/off healing, lots of peels, etc etc
-Gap closers, are hunters really going to get a charge or similar? Feels extremely out of the class concept.

So all in all I can't see blizzard pulling this off, I think that if we had melee weapons back and just became a ranged with some melee utility like we were in vanilla/tbc it would work much better and would be a more interesting playstyle, in WOTLK we had a pretty interesting but kinda hard to use glyph that gave us for 3-4 sec -20% damage received when we used raptor strike, that stuff was kind of interesting.

#3 Barriery

Barriery
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Drak'thul
  • Reckoning / Abrechnung

Posted 24 August 2015 - 04:33 PM

yeah thats what im afraid too that's why im trying to get ahead of things a little and maybe who knows maybe they will do a good job :)

#4 Iridar

Iridar
  • Members

Posted 27 August 2015 - 11:34 PM

I have the feeling that melee hunters will just be bad for a long time.

I mean, I don't know anything more than you guys, but basing myself on precedents by both blizzards and what classes need we know that:

- It needs loads of Control (think of ferals chain stuns in incarnation or rogues,garrote, into garrote, into kidney into another kidney, into kick into gauge to reset DRs/cds etc)
-It needs very high damage see enha shamans, they have been pretty shit before buffs and they really couldn't play any other comp but turbo and get carried by war's damage while they spammed purge/off heals, WW monks are still in a similar situation, although it may change with the upcoming buffs.
-Lots of utility, something we don't have right now, alot of self/off healing, lots of peels, etc etc
-Gap closers, are hunters really going to get a charge or similar? Feels extremely out of the class concept.

So all in all I can't see blizzard pulling this off, I think that if we had melee weapons back and just became a ranged with some melee utility like we were in vanilla/tbc it would work much better and would be a more interesting playstyle, in WOTLK we had a pretty interesting but kinda hard to use glyph that gave us for 3-4 sec -20% damage received when we used raptor strike, that stuff was kind of interesting.

They could just change Disengage into Engage which would leap us forward instead of backwards. Is spear thrust charge really so out of place for a Hunter?

Lots of control - SV used to have Counter Attack which was a root / immobilize, there's also Intimidate (pet stun) and Wing Clip. Of course, even when combined with trap it doesn't rival rogues, but they could always add more.

It's actually an interesting question why would we want to be melee in the first place. In pure vacuum, being ranged is always better than melee. So I expect SV will need something special to make it worth.

#5 Barriery

Barriery
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Drak'thul
  • Reckoning / Abrechnung

Posted 27 November 2015 - 05:32 AM

So what do you guys think now that the talents and abilities are out? Pretty much all my fears have been confirmed, I see very little control and pretty much no defensive cooldowns and terrible mobility, all talents are just different kinds of dmg.

#6 Tazul

Tazul
  • Members

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:57 PM

Melee hunters will be completely terrible in pvp. Look at the history of the game and how there are always specs that are severely underpowered and Blizzard leaves them like that for years at a time. The next expansion will be no different. Marks will probably suck in arena too from what I can tell. Cast times will be back and you'll have no pet....will just get los'd all day and do no damage.

#7 zawadyjaka

zawadyjaka
  • Members

Posted 30 November 2015 - 05:23 PM

Melee hunters will be completely terrible in pvp. Look at the history of the game and how there are always specs that are severely underpowered and Blizzard leaves them like that for years at a time. The next expansion will be no different. Marks will probably suck in arena too from what I can tell. Cast times will be back and you'll have no pet....will just get los'd all day and do no damage.

nice logic
in legion there will be kinda big changes for every single class - weapon traits, talents, pvp talents, racials,shit,spec(and its perks)
u cant just say that some spec will suck in pvp or pve it all depends on how actually it will work(numbers, mechanics)
from what i read about surv(talents and shit) it seems pretty fun - this is most important, because they can adjust the numbers to balance it around pvp/pve, but they will never change core mechanics during expansion - example : mm hunter in wod - kinda unfinished class
u cant say that mm will suck because it sucks now - u gave an example of how its going on now, ppl are losing ur 2.5s aimed shots which crits for 30k dmg

#8 rob-hype

rob-hype
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Feral 2/0/2/1/2/2/2
  • 2v2: 1671
  • 3v3: 2490
  • RBG: 1676
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted 30 November 2015 - 05:38 PM

Survival melee has great mobility, loads of cc and depending on how hard mongoose bite is chunk wise, will a decent playstyle.
In terms of hunters kiting for defensive that barely exists now with all the melee classes already having enough mobility to pmuch stick on a hunter.

MM damage looks strong, bm is always decent. Survival is one of those things that will either be stupidly broken or not work at all.

Silence shot, binding shot, undispellable trap that is basically cyclone. Freedom, posthaste, add in gnome racial for the hell of it too. Don't even get me.started on the other new traps.

Edited by rob-hype, 30 November 2015 - 05:42 PM.

Http://lmgtfy.com/?q...ral+Tichondrius

Feral Always :)

That awkward moment when you're reading this comment, and can't stop reading because you are so intrigued by it, that you keep reading, and then you realize it says nothing important - AJ Signatures

#9 Rawrbertlol

Rawrbertlol
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Survival 0/0/2/2/0/0/0
  • 2v2: 1900
  • 3v3: 2672
  • 5v5: 1656
  • RBG: 1576

Posted 30 November 2015 - 06:35 PM

Hype said it right, the only thing i'm concerned with is teams CCing off our stacks of mongoose bite non stop since the buffs only last 3.5 seconds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<