Ret 3v3 2v2 Comp

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kittypurrry

Kittypurrry
  • Members

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:19 PM

Hi Everybody -

I just came back to the game and decided to level a Ret... YOLO. I played Rogue (RMD) to 2k+ arena/rbg in Cata and some of MoP but I don't know too much about Ret's or the current state of the game.. I just always wanted to play one. So yeah, any advice is appreciated.

Comps:
I checked out some of Vanguards and Avegelyne streams and they were running Ret Hunter Shaman. I was wondering if triple dps.. like Ret Hunter Rogue would be any good; seems like it would be fun.

Gear:
Stat priority for Ret's?

Talents:
First Tier: Long Arm of the Law vs Pursuit of Justice . LAotL seems strongest to me but I was watching Mystic take PoJ and train healers with his hunter. I guess I don't really understand why it would be better to pick up in that situation.

Holy Avenger vs Sanctified Wrath: Seems like Holy Avenger is the signature choice, but it seems like SW could be really good against Ice Block etc.

Final verdict vs plate? Empowered Seals vs casters?

Thanks so much for your time!

#2 Rexorz

Rexorz
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Retribution

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:47 PM

Are you serious right now?

http://www.arenajunk...n-pvp-guide-62/

It's a fucking stickied post by probably the best ret in the game right now...

#3 Kittypurrry

Kittypurrry
  • Members

Posted 20 August 2015 - 10:05 PM

I have already read that guide, thanks. I guess I missed where he lists stat priorities but he doesn't talk about viable comps or go into great detail about talent choices which is why I made my own post. As a returning player starting a new class I know nothing about, I'm also looking for additional material that may be helpful. Thank you though... for your warm welcome to the forum and your insightfulness!

#4 Rexorz

Rexorz
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Retribution

Posted 20 August 2015 - 10:21 PM

He goes into pretty good detail on talents. As far as comps its pretty much Ret/Hunter/Rshaman for the only "tier 1" comp. You can play pretty much anything to 2k-2.2k though

#5 smellfungus

smellfungus
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Kil'jaeden
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Shadow 0/1/1/1/2/1
  • 2v2: 1682
  • RBG: 1151

Posted 20 August 2015 - 11:19 PM

Go holy do something til Legion u will prob get glad.

#6 relegladhero

relegladhero
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Blackmoore
  • Glutsturm / Emberstorm
  • Talents: Mistweaver 1/1/2/2/0/2/2
  • 2v2: 1564
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 August 2015 - 02:18 AM

If you want a warm welcome, stop talking about how you think triple dps would be fun, punk
Who the fuck is Enrico?

#7 Soulsticeyo

Soulsticeyo

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:53 AM

It's not the best season to be a NEW Ret Player.

#8 Kizume

Kizume
  • Members

Posted 21 August 2015 - 11:02 AM

Hey there,

I am certainly not the best Ret Paladin out there (last season 2,1k on Horde) but I think I can give you at least some insight on what could work out for you.

I'd try to aim for Ret Hunter Shaman / Ret Hunter Priest or Ret Mage Shaman.
My Hunter did play Survival this season and it felt pretty smooth besides lacking Kill Shot. Can't tell for sure if BM is better. But with the recent Buffs to BM I think it will surpass SV by a lot.

Resto Shaman vs Disc Priest - a lot of ppl will argue that Resto Shaman is superior due to better healing and cds. However I feel like Ret Hunter is all about bursting someone down and vs caster comps your only chance is to 100-0 someone with your first wings or you are done anyway. Massdispel is key to this and the extra cc with fear is also a plus.
However if you face a Warlock team you will instantly lose with a Priest.
Ret Mage Heal used to be pretty fun in MoP however most Mages will refuse you since they can just faceroll to high ratings with every other class way more easily.

Also Tripple DPS is a no go if you don't want to ruin your reputation - on a side note it's also not viable (Ret Healing is garbage compared to what it used to be)

Regarding your gear question. I picked 2/5 set and used every versatility piece I could get. Reason is 4 set uptime is limited and I feel like the extra healing is not worth it. Right now I have ~20% verstility - 30% if I use my trinket - paired with wings it feels like I can do something to win the game.
You can copy the stats from Vanguards guide for gear slots you don't have versatility pieces.

Talent wise I won't go much into detail but:
SW EMP Seals is only worth in raiding environements and even then it falls behind SW Seraphim.
I always pick HA FV because it's the highest burst / lowest amount of micromanagement. FV has a big plus compared to TV. It has increased ranged and deals damage through BOPs (it's also higher damage than EMP Seals TV).

Keep in mind this has worked for me and doesn't mean it's the 100% accurate way of playing Ret.

#9 wuzzle

wuzzle
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Azshara
  • Glutsturm / Emberstorm
  • Talents: Retribution 1/0/0/2/0/2/2
  • 2v2: 1510
  • 3v3: 2108
  • 5v5: 864

Posted 21 August 2015 - 12:32 PM

Hey there,
[...]

+ repped you since it's obvious you created the account solely for the purpose of answering the new/recomer's questions. Also you did so in a non toxic way.

It's a shame that one actually has to mention such a behaviour as good as it should be the standard... but whatever.
____

regarding the questions:

Ret was definately not the easiest pick for a new approach on wow. Well in terms of skillcap it may be easy, but in terms of rating or finding mates to play with it's not that easy.

I'm like Kizume in the situation that I'm by no means a good player (2300 last season :( ) so my advice is not top notch quality either.

1) Tripple DPS is not viable atm. There are way too many defensive cooldowns that can be rotated for the enemy team to recover your burst. So nope, no tripple DPS.
Ret/Hunter/RSham is the way to go. It creates a lot of pressure with purge, the shaman can keep your hp up and stay out of cc with gorunding and shock. It enables you to keep the preassure up evene against godcomps and shatters so that they're no autoloss.
Ret/Hunter/Priest is second best but fails against all the Warlock fotm comps that currently sprout everywhere.It also struggles against said castercleaves.
Some say that there is a possibility of playing Ret/DK/Holypaladin due to it's healer killing capability (HoJ->HoJ->Strangulate). I can't really comment on that.
There isn't really anything else. Warlocks and Mages won't really bother playing with a ret.

2) Gear: was said before. Versatility is your love, 4 set bonus is neglectible. Mastery and Haste are around equal second best stats. Crit and Multistrike are mediocre. If you're Human, go for the STR/Vers on use trinket as well as the Str with Versatility procc one. For any other Race Just user the Vers trinket in combination with the Str/Vers on use. In the gearing process you should start your shopping list with the Cloak due to the vers#movementspeed enchant, directly followed by the other three enchantable items for neck and rings. After that you have earned/spent enough points for the weapon followed by the on use trinket. After that it's the Item that gives you the most benefit statwise.

3)With Tier one talents you're pretty spot on. Long arm as the standard specc, with the occasional switch to PoJ if you deem it better against some comps.
HA ist the go to talent against any comp that does not CC you overly much. Against Mages you can switch to SW to get a bit more burst uptime.
EmpSeals makes you more durable butreduces your uptime/burst potential a bit. As you said, against plate and as the standard specc it should be Final Verdict, against Godcomps or Shatters you can switch to EmpSeals.

regards
°.-/)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ret, 3v3, 2v2, Comp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<