How to last as a Warlock against melee

Lock pvp arena melee

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lysergica

lysergica
  • Members

Posted 12 August 2015 - 03:15 PM

So basically my question is, as a lock, is there a way to not get trainwrecked by melee?

I mean besides popping Blood Horror, using gate, then shadowfury (if I dont get charged or gripped or shadowstepped before I can use it) then my port.. and then everything is on cooldown and I am stunned unitl I am dead.

That is basically the jist of every melee fight as a warlock and I am wondering if there is any possible way to have a fighting chance against melee or do we just accept our fate when the clock ticks down and the gates open?

#2 Tehroxxors

Tehroxxors
  • Members

Posted 12 August 2015 - 05:12 PM

As a Warrior I can tell you that pinging between your Gates is about the only way your going to dampen the amount of damage I'm going to stack against you. I've not yet gone 1v1 with a Warlock that I didn't wreck.

I can, however, tell you what I do against you in hope that you can attempt to figure a way to counter it. First, charge. Then i'll interrupt whatever spell cast you've got going at the time. By now I usually have an Execute proc, so i'll hit you with that. Then my damage rotation starts. I'll use Bloodbath (This takes 30% of all my damage done to you in the next 12 seconds and apply it to you over time) followed by Recklessness. Then i'll hit you with 2 stacks of raging blow while using spell reflect at your incoming Chaos Bolt. You'll typically at some point in between attempt to pop all you CC's. I'll hamstring your trying to run away. I'll use Beserk when you BH. Trink out of your Shadow, and if Spell Reflect is on CD, i'll use Intervene (assuming an ally is close, however if this is a dual this doesn't apply). By now you're either dead or very close. I'll have 120 Rage built up, so i'll just Execute you until you're dead.

#3 Maleficent

Maleficent
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Blackhand
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Affliction 0/0/0/2/0/0/0
  • 2v2: 1464
  • 3v3: 2249

Posted 12 August 2015 - 05:47 PM

you don't have the tools we used to have against melee. bend over and lube up your asshole buddy.

#4 lysergica

lysergica
  • Members

Posted 12 August 2015 - 07:01 PM

you don't have the tools we used to have against melee. bend over and lube up your asshole buddy.

Sometimes it feels like I dont have to to lube it up...

#5 Tehroxxors

Tehroxxors
  • Members

Posted 12 August 2015 - 07:20 PM

Make sure you've got your Demon Chick up. If you add an extra charm to the rotation, you'll have time to get away from me. Of course, I will have stacks of Charge and Heroic Leap. If you can use the combination correctly, you can probably get a 6 second stun on me and use Cataclysm (I think this is the spell i'm thinking of, with the large AoE Ground Attack). It hits hard. Of course, make sure they're stunned by the end, because you wouldn't want a spell reflect on that.

#6 Skaggz

Skaggz
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Bleeding Hollow
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Restoration 1/0/0/0/0/0/1
  • 2v2: 1550
  • 3v3: 1918
  • RBG: 1538
  • Locationcurling in the squat rack

Posted 24 August 2015 - 12:22 AM

As a Warrior I can tell you that pinging between your Gates is about the only way your going to dampen the amount of damage I'm going to stack against you. I've not yet gone 1v1 with a Warlock that I didn't wreck.

I can, however, tell you what I do against you in hope that you can attempt to figure a way to counter it. First, charge. Then i'll interrupt whatever spell cast you've got going at the time. By now I usually have an Execute proc, so i'll hit you with that. Then my damage rotation starts. I'll use Bloodbath (This takes 30% of all my damage done to you in the next 12 seconds and apply it to you over time) followed by Recklessness. Then i'll hit you with 2 stacks of raging blow while using spell reflect at your incoming Chaos Bolt. You'll typically at some point in between attempt to pop all you CC's. I'll hamstring your trying to run away. I'll use Beserk when you BH. Trink out of your Shadow, and if Spell Reflect is on CD, i'll use Intervene (assuming an ally is close, however if this is a dual this doesn't apply). By now you're either dead or very close. I'll have 120 Rage built up, so i'll just Execute you until you're dead.

Bloodbath

#7 jaliscoautuick

jaliscoautuick
  • Members

Posted 26 November 2015 - 09:25 AM

Are we talking duels?

2v2?

Or 3v3?

For 3s (or any environment where there are 2+ melees), it's VERY hard. Even with a healer, spam healing you, double melee is brutally hard. You can blow cooldowns, have maximized gylphs/talents, which will all make you harder to kill, but against double melee+, you gonna have to kite your ass off. As the CDs will only keep you alive so long. You just can't stand there and expect to survive indefinitely.

Warning, do not use this in 3s+, because you will still get wrecked, since you will almost always get kicked, pummeled, otherwise interrupted.

2s/dueliing is similar, so try this:

1. Use 2 stamina trinkets. I love versatility trinkets, but find that my results are better if I go max stamina against melee in 2s/duels.
2. glyph improved drain life
3. first row talent: dark harvest or whatever it's called: +drain life.
4. talent: soul link + grimore of Sacrifice.
5. summon voidwalker, sacrifice it.

That should all give you around 750k+, which makes drain life even that much better, since it scales with health.

When you start to get trained, pop trinket for extra health, pop GoSac ability from VW (20% health for 20 seconds).

You should have around 1 million health, and try to fake and force a missed kick/pummel, etc..If you can, you can easily drain life back to full.

try to keep your DoTs up (I assume you are affliction, otherwise, I don't know), and use your portal, gateway as much as possible -- portal on cooldown, and kick while keeping dots up, and draining life to full.

All this will only help you to survive around 30 or so seconds -- which isn't bad against melees, and you should kill most within that time.

After that, if they are diligent, and still on top of you, it might be game over. =/ so gotta keep the damage up.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Lock, pvp, arena, melee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users