Photo

Do death knights have a way to close the gap

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Slappywag

Slappywag
  • Junkies

Posted 25 July 2008 - 11:46 AM

Sure some of their talents are interesting but they pretty much are looking like Ret Paladins 2.0 with no healing debuff or way to "close the gap".
Posted Image

#2 Krigare

Krigare
  • Members
  • Goblinclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Protection

Posted 25 July 2008 - 12:00 PM

Death grip is on a 25 sec CD with talents and it serves this purpose well.

#3 Liolin

Liolin
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Stormreaver
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Subtlety

Posted 25 July 2008 - 01:16 PM

Looks like they have some roots/snares in frost (not sure how many are base abilities or talents) and a 25 second death grip ability (which I think is just about the coolest ability in the game and has significant ramifications in arena PvP).

They do seem to be prone, on paper, to kiting away from their melee strike abilities which I think is the point. However, I haven't quite pinpointed any class in particular that seems like it's supposed to have an upper hand against the DK, cause it seems like their talents are so diverse that they could counter certain classes.

I think once beta settles down and DK's abilities are adjusted up and down, we'll have a better idea where they fit in the scheme of things.

As for no healing debuff, yeah, it seems like they probably want a healing debuff melee with them for both the debuff and the snare.

#4 Exiledshmoo

Exiledshmoo
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Laughing Skull
  • Vindication
  • Talents:

Posted 25 July 2008 - 04:32 PM

Deathknights have various snares in the frost tree including a frost nova that breaks on damage which is one a 1 minute cd.

Death Grip is the infamous "get over here" which does close the gap.

Death knight also has a ranged 4 second silence on a 20 or 25 second cd

SO they have tools to prevent being kited, but you will be able to get away from them to some degree unlike ss rogues.

As for no healing debuff, not a factor in 2s really, but 3s and 5s you will have a warrior or rogue anyway.

#5 Goblinmatt

Goblinmatt

Posted 25 July 2008 - 06:13 PM

I think the tradeoff is pretty fair. No healing debuff but silence, dots, nova, death grip etc.

I dont think its anything to worry about.

#6 Mekila

Mekila
  • Junkies
  • Goblinclass_name
  • US-Spinebreaker
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Blood

Posted 25 July 2008 - 09:45 PM

Sure some of their talents are interesting but they pretty much are looking like Ret Paladins 2.0 with no healing debuff or way to "close the gap".

The DK abiltiy 'Degeneration' is a melee strike which applies a DOT disease that removes existing hots on your target and makes the DOT stronger.

Its currently bugged and will only remove one hot at a time. Nice thing is it removes lifebloom but doesn't make it bloom.

The damage from the dot is worse than rend, it does 15/tick and around 85-100/tick or so if you remove a hot with it.

#7 Lysander

Lysander
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Marksmanship

Posted 25 July 2008 - 10:40 PM

Ghouls apparently have a Kick/Intercept skill also, so spell interrupts shouldn't be too bad.

#8 Mekila

Mekila
  • Junkies
  • Goblinclass_name
  • US-Spinebreaker
  • Rampage

Posted 25 July 2008 - 11:41 PM

Ghouls apparently have a Kick/Intercept skill also, so spell interrupts shouldn't be too bad.

Spell Interrupts available to DK:

Death grip - Interrupts casting by moving target into melee range. 30 yard range, 35s cooldown (25 w/ talents)
Strangulate - 5s silence, does shadow dmg at end of silence. 30 yard range 30s cooldown.
Mind Freeze - Spell interrupt that locks out the corresponding school for 4s and does frost damage. Melee range, 10s cooldown.
Gnaw (ghoul pet) - Stuns for 4s and does physical damage. 20s cooldown
Thrash (ghoul pet) - Spell interrupt that locks out the corresponding school for 4s and does physical dmg. 10s cooldown.
Hungering Cold - AOE freezing trap, lasts up to 10s with 40 runic power in pvp (w/ talents). Can last 26 in pve. 10 yard radius, 1 min cooldown.

#9 Shaeden

Shaeden
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Stormscale
  • Cyclone
  • Talents: Affliction

Posted 26 July 2008 - 02:01 AM

Looks like there are going to be a lot more 1 healer teams in 3s/5s in wotlk so with all the dps coming, I imagine DKs won't have a hard time.

Err, I haven't read all the healer talents yet, so maybe I shouldn't say that.

#10 Slappywag

Slappywag
  • Junkies

Posted 26 July 2008 - 09:12 AM

Yeah the the pull is good. I just wasn't entirely sure if it worked in PVP / didn't hear much about it.
Posted Image

#11 Kadrix

Kadrix
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Retribution 2/0/0/1/1/.

Posted 27 July 2008 - 12:35 AM

Yeah the the pull is good. I just wasn't entirely sure if it worked in PVP / didn't hear much about it.

Yeah it works in pvp bro, cancels the spell being cast since technically it makes the target move.
Posted Image

#12 Shaeden

Shaeden
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Stormscale
  • Cyclone

Posted 27 July 2008 - 06:58 PM

Can't wait to pull people off cliffs.

#13 Mekila

Mekila
  • Junkies
  • Goblinclass_name
  • US-Spinebreaker
  • Rampage

Posted 29 July 2008 - 03:54 AM

Can't wait to pull people off cliffs.

Shaman can use Thunderstorm to knock people 20 yards back... now this is quite lovely to have people fall to their death by blasting them off a cliff, but its especially magical when they actually encounter their first DK in this situation.

They will Thunderstorm you off the edge and start to laugh, but then choke in disbelief he gets pulled over with you to splat on the bottom. Good ol' Death Grip :)

Do unto others...

#14 Fest

Fest
  • Members
  • Worgenclass_name
  • US-Doomhammer
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Assassination

Posted 29 July 2008 - 12:49 PM

Shaman can use Thunderstorm to knock people 20 yards back... now this is quite lovely to have people fall to their death by blasting them off a cliff, but its especially magical when they actually encounter their first DK in this situation.

They will Thunderstorm you off the edge and start to laugh, but then choke in disbelief he gets pulled over with you to splat on the bottom. Good ol' Death Grip :)

Do unto others...

Thunderstorm + EotS Flag area = lol

#15 Krigare

Krigare
  • Members
  • Goblinclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Protection

Posted 29 July 2008 - 12:51 PM

Thunderstorm + EotS Flag area = lol

oh man...least it only takes 1 death knight to make the shaman go too

#16 Fest

Fest
  • Members
  • Worgenclass_name
  • US-Doomhammer
  • Nightfall

Posted 29 July 2008 - 03:45 PM

oh man...least it only takes 1 death knight to make the shaman go too

I was just thinking about that. Some good times will be had in the expansion. WTB now.

#17 Zanny

Zanny
  • Xanny
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Agamaggan
  • Shadowburn

Posted 30 July 2008 - 04:13 PM

They should give DKs a self buff like Frozen Core or somthing that whenever you hit an enemey with a melee attack or spell, their movement speed is reduced by 5%, that stacks up to 10 times.
Dont flame me I burn easily.

#18 Mekila

Mekila
  • Junkies
  • Goblinclass_name
  • US-Spinebreaker
  • Rampage

Posted 30 July 2008 - 04:47 PM

They should give DKs a self buff like Frozen Core or somthing that whenever you hit an enemey with a melee attack or spell, their movement speed is reduced by 5%, that stacks up to 10 times.

They have chillblains in deep frost that gives mind freeze and icy touch a snare.

#19 Shaeden

Shaeden
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Stormscale
  • Cyclone

Posted 31 July 2008 - 02:35 AM

I bet the knock backs will get nerfed to prevent whacking people have cliffs - We have to make sure that doesn't happen.

#20 Zanny

Zanny
  • Xanny
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Agamaggan
  • Shadowburn

Posted 31 July 2008 - 02:44 AM

They have chillblains in deep frost that gives mind freeze and icy touch a snare.

How many classes in the game have a functional dps spec that doesnt include a snare in pvp?

Ret paladins excluded, because 1 shotting is not pvp.
Dont flame me I burn easily.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<