• Raserei / Frenzy
  • Talents: Frost 1/0/0/2/1/1/0
  • 2v2: 1541
  • 3v3: 1511
  • RBG: 192
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 23 June 2015 - 09:16 PM

Hey There,

I play an Unholy Death Knight in Arena and, despite not doing much PvP this season, for want of a partner for even 2v2, I've been doing some 2s with a Shaman buddy of mine who decided to get full Conquest gear before 6.2.

This Shaman buddy also plays a DK and has made it to 2.3k or higher, so I'm inclined to believe he knows what he's talking about when he points out mistakes I make - he's fair about his own mistakes as well. As a result I'm very open to his criticism of my performance in arena, and I take all his advice and guidance on board; I've noticed an improvement from this, but there is still a problem. It's a problem that I don't really like acknowledging as I'm not sure how much of a problem it really is and it sounds like an excuse anyway.

I live in South Africa playing on EU realms and as a result I my ping never drops below 200ms leaving between 200 and 300ms and sometimes higher. My ping to US servers is 300-400ms so it wouldn't be beneficial for me to play there.

Now here's where the issue comes in. My partner tells me that targets should be dead long before I actually manage to score a kill, and his frustration is starting to show which bothers and irritates me since it's at 1300-1500mmr where I have made it to 1900 previously (before cross realm arena malarkey). I can put out enough damage to get close to a kill, but for some reason I can't seem to push hard enough to actually score the kill despite my best efforts. This often leads to prolonged matches and sometimes even losses due to my pressure bleeding off as my resources run dry. Probably a rune management issue on my side here as it does take a fair amount of time to run out of resources.

I believe this to be the cause of my 200-300ms ping which, as I said, I'm loathe to bring up as it does tend to sound like an excuse, but in matches where I'm able to get close to a kill (talking under 30% here) within seconds of my attack I don't know why else I can't score the kill and it's reached a point where, when my partner asks me why I couldn't get the kill, I don't know what else to tell him.

Any insight would be very much appreciated. I'm also posting here as posting to the battle.net forums feels like it would be counter productive in helping me pinpoint what the issue could be. Unfortunately I have no video footage to show so please assume I'm playing like an 1800+ player should.
The gap between my power and yours is as wide as the gap between Heaven and Earth!

#2 Rexyyoxxx

Rexyyoxxx
  • Junkies
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Enhancement 0/2/0/2/1/2/0
  • 2v2: 1529
  • 3v3: 2591
  • 5v5: 480
  • RBG: 1665

Posted 23 June 2015 - 09:48 PM

200-300 ping is not playable... in my opinion anyway - this is at 23 m. When i get above 30 I can play never mind 300

#3 Bronco30

Bronco30
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Subtlety 1/2/2/1/1/1/2
  • 2v2: 1885
  • 3v3: 2663
  • 5v5: 1054
  • RBG: 1934
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:33 AM

The ping is definitely an issue. For a melee player especially. I could never play melee on that ping. I have a multi-glad friend who plays druid with high ping and he doesn't have much issues. Playing melee requires faster reactions to kick and interrupt abilities and to also use your CC at proper times. Also, when you have high ping, you can be on top of the person you're hitting on your screen, however it will say "That target is out of range." It's just the ms.

That being said, I have no experience playing DK. But in the current meta of the game, 2s matches can last quite a while. You mostly want to make sure you're saving your cc/damage for when your cooldowns are up and you can do all the damage you possibly can. You don't wanna be wasting DR's or stuns or cc's when you're just doing regular damage. You're never going to get kills in 2v2 without having all your offensive cooldowns popped + trinket proc'd + cc, etc.

Obviously there is nothing you can do about the lag. You just have to live with it regardless of if you're on EU or US, so while that could very well be the issue, you are going to have to learn to play around it if you are going to continue pvping in WoW. I might suggest rolling a caster or maybe a hunter or something that doesn't have to be in melee range to attack because the high ms and having to be in melee range is very problematic.

EDIT: Also, there is a program called Lowerping. Check it out.

Edited by Bronco30, 30 June 2015 - 11:35 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Death Knight, Lag, 2v2, 3v3, 5v5, Arena

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<