• EU-Argent Dawn
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Talents: Shadow 2/1/1/1/./.
  • 2v2: 2728
  • 3v3: 2279
  • 5v5: 96
  • RBG: 768

Posted 09 May 2015 - 12:09 PM

I felt this was interesting enough to have its own thread. Needless to say, this is just theory (with some tests). I'm writing this as I test things, so numbers will have some anecdotes.

Basically, the idea is that rather than just playing 2H or DW, you play somewhere in between instead. The reason this is now something worth trying is that our damage passive, Might of the Frozen Wastes, is now always active.

In MoP, there were two separate passives (Might of the Frozen Wastes and Threat of Thassarian) which both had a hidden cooldown if the DK would swap weapons. This cooldown seems to have been removed with the merging of these two passives.

This means we get to do some interesting things as Frost DK. First off, we get to enchant our 2H weapon with Razorice. This gives a significant boost to Frost damage, and therefor Breath of Sindragosa. We don't have to miss out on Fallen Crusader, because we can enchant one of our 1H weapons with it.

The reason you'd want to do it like this is that the Razorice debuff only stays on a target if you have a weapon with Razorice equipped. Enchanting your 2H with Fallen Crusader would remove Razorice from your target the moment you switched. The other way around is different. Fallen Crusader is a buff on you, and it doesn't vanish if you don't have a weapon with Fallen Crusader equipped.

This means you can have Dual Wield enchant benefits while wielding a 2H weapon. To illustrate, I have a burst comparison:

With regular 2H Frost gear (versatility>haste>the rest), these are some numbers (on a dummy) with all cooldowns up as Human (proc trinket + versa on-use). I'm currently using Mastery enchants however, so I have a bit less versatility than normal (~2%).

Obliterate: ~64k crits.
Breath of Sindragosa: ~13.8k ticks.
Howling Blast (rime): 13.7k hits.

With Dual Wield / Unholy gear (Mastery>Versatility>the rest). I start by Dual Wielding, stacking Razorice quickly and waiting for a Fallen Crusader proc. Once FC procs, I switch to 2-handed and burst just like I normally would when playing 2H Frost.

Obliterate: ~63k crits. (slightly lower number can be attributed to weapon damage's randomness? also slightly less versa on gear)
Breath of sindragosa: ~14k ticks. (slight gain in damage, most likely from slightly more mastery on gear. unaffected by Razorice, just like PvP 4-set? Really strange)
-Further testing shows Breath is indeed unaffected by Razorice, for whatever reason-
Howling Blast (rime): 17.5k+ hits. (attributable to Razorice and 4-set)
Razorice weapon damage: 1.8k+ during cds. (may seem insignificant but it's almost 1k dps during burst)

------------

Other benefits of swapping weapons:
- More Frost Strike damage
- More sustained pressure through smart use of the two passives
- mitigate the spec's weaknesses

Downsides:
- Swapping weapons triggers a GCD
- Requires a lot of resource and buff monitoring

Edited by Forumz, 09 May 2015 - 12:55 PM.

Posted Image

#2 zyther

zyther
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Barthilas
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Blood 1/0/2/2/1/1/0
  • 2v2: 2427
  • 3v3: 2403
  • 5v5: 2000
  • RBG: 1844

Posted 09 May 2015 - 02:41 PM

Not a bad idea at all, would make the class abit more funnier play style.
Seems like a lot of effort though waiting for things to line up for a small amount of dmg increase.

You should really test with the same gear to get a more accurate number. Like the obliterates would be hitting more with the first set due to extra vers

#3 Ownu

Ownu
  • Locationcal

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:30 AM

I only skimmed the OP, but this seems to be a lot of work and setup for a very little damage boost.

I thought everyone knew that razorice didnt work on breath. Breath is shadowfrost, and frost damage multipliers dont work on shadowfrost for some reason.

#4 Forumz

Forumz
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Argent Dawn
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Talents: Shadow 2/1/1/1/./.
  • 2v2: 2728
  • 3v3: 2279
  • 5v5: 96
  • RBG: 768

Posted 11 May 2015 - 09:24 AM

I thought everyone knew that razorice didnt work on breath. Breath is shadowfrost, and frost damage multipliers dont work on shadowfrost for some reason.

But Frost Mastery works, and that's a Frost damage multiplier as well. The conclusion is that Razorice and Frost4-set are bugged.

If they wouldn't be bugged, a 10% damage boost on Breath would be well worth the trouble.

Edited by Forumz, 11 May 2015 - 09:27 AM.

Posted Image

#5 Deloir

Deloir
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Ravencrest
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Frost 2/1/1/2/1/1
  • RBG: 1788

Posted 04 July 2015 - 11:23 PM

I remember reading up somewhere a while ago that there is a 35 sec cooldown between dw and 2h buffs when swapping weapons to prevent such a game style.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Frost, Death Knight, 2H, DW, Theorycrafting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<