Photo

Dampening - This has totally changed the game.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Sexyo

Sexyo
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:33 AM

Why did warcraft ever need this type of mechanic?
If this game is all about skills and "im better than you" style game, why did we get this awful shit thats called dampening?

#2 FedorOFF

FedorOFF
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Tarren Mill
  • Misery
  • Talents: Survival 0/0/2/2/0/0/0
  • 2v2: 1709
  • 3v3: 1852
  • RBG: 192

Posted 06 March 2015 - 12:00 PM

To prevent 1h games like in S3-6... Especially in 2v2

#3 Sexyo

Sexyo

Posted 06 March 2015 - 05:57 PM

To prevent 1h games like in S3-6... Especially in 2v2

prevent 1h games ? sorry love but you can just put timer on each matches and instead of forcing x healer team to autolose vs y healer team you can just make the game even

#4 HeyimJack

HeyimJack
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Darksorrow
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Combat 1/2/2/1/1/1/1
  • 2v2: 2220
  • 3v3: 2862
  • RBG: 2164
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 March 2015 - 06:02 PM

It's okay we win in dampening

88c809889bca995b4fb7f643cda2eb4f.png

#5 Sexyo

Sexyo

Posted 06 March 2015 - 06:56 PM

It's okay we win in dampening

did i miss the part where using 70% of mana just to heal 30% of health is okay? and pretty PVPish?

#6 Fudly

Fudly
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Darkspear
  • Cyclone
  • Talents: Windwalker 0/0/2/2/0/1/0
  • 2v2: 1451
  • 3v3: 1517
  • 5v5: 384
  • RBG: 957

Posted 12 April 2015 - 05:52 PM

What would be better than dampening? Having the game end in a draw after 20 minutes or whatever would feel completely unsatisfying. There are plenty of matchups where you know the match is going 15 minutes+. I wish you could fast forward that time to the part that actually matters.

An alternative would be upping everyone's damage, but that would favor classes with instant disables.
Reducing healing would favor classes with chainable CC.

#7 Hynara

Hynara
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Lightbringer
  • Cruelty / Crueldad
  • Talents: Assassination 1/2/2/1/0/1/2
  • 2v2: 1386
  • 3v3: 1648
  • RBG: 1581

Posted 12 April 2015 - 07:17 PM

What would be better than dampening? Having the game end in a draw after 20 minutes or whatever would feel completely unsatisfying.

Pretty much this. Dampening was implemented as a shitty fix to arena when they didn't take into account all the new changes with expansions.

#8 Sexyo

Sexyo

Posted 13 April 2015 - 12:41 AM

dampening pretty much is the same as berserk in PVE. it definitely makes sense in pve since you dont have the whole fucking day to down the boss (that would have been easiest shit ever).
for example if rmd plays until dampening vs rmp, they are gonna win. no matter how good rmp was.

#9 jgw

jgw
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Frostmourne
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Arms 0/0/1/1/1/2/0
  • 2v2: 1722
  • 3v3: 1949
  • 5v5: 96
  • RBG: 1741

Posted 13 April 2015 - 01:58 PM

To slow down the game and make chain CC's necessary for a kill they reduced dmg, raised healing, and raised health pools.

This made dampening necessary.

I preferred WOTLK with its ridiculous (at times) pace to this snorefest. Now instead of people dying in stupid amounts of damage we have healers CC'd for stupid amounts of time. The first one I actually preferred, it was annoying sometimes but exciting, and people payed for their mistakes.

#10 Sexyo

Sexyo

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:57 PM

To slow down the game and make chain CC's necessary for a kill they reduced dmg, raised healing, and raised health pools.

This made dampening necessary.

I preferred WOTLK with its ridiculous (at times) pace to this snorefest. Now instead of people dying in stupid amounts of damage we have healers CC'd for stupid amounts of time. The first one I actually preferred, it was annoying sometimes but exciting, and people payed for their mistakes.

you have to keep in mind "the stupid amount of damage" was started with mastery and reforging since cata (1 shot macros etc.)
wotlk had pretty unique way of everything. 1 shotting someone was 100% rng. and rng can not be avoided when you have to deal with stats and numbers (basically the idea of stats and numbers are to be mathematically organised, guess what?). so i pretty much prefer dying over rng which is like once or twice a day of normal arena push, over the games that i have (had) to play for around 20 minutes, and are guarantee lose until their resto druid wont decide to afk, and their warlock will spam shadow bolt (like even why?)

catch my drift please

#11 Lloix

Lloix
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Korgath
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Subtlety 1/1/2/1/0/1/0
  • 2v2: 2301
  • 3v3: 2106
  • RBG: 384
  • LocationDying at the bottom of a pit in the blazing sun

Posted 14 April 2015 - 06:03 PM

you have to keep in mind "the stupid amount of damage" was started with mastery and reforging since cata (1 shot macros etc.)
wotlk had pretty unique way of everything. 1 shotting someone was 100% rng. and rng can not be avoided when you have to deal with stats and numbers (basically the idea of stats and numbers are to be mathematically organised, guess what?). so i pretty much prefer dying over rng which is like once or twice a day of normal arena push, over the games that i have (had) to play for around 20 minutes, and are guarantee lose until their resto druid wont decide to afk, and their warlock will spam shadow bolt (like even why?)

catch my drift please

I read this about five times and am not even close to catching your drift.

#12 dekonig

dekonig
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Protection 1/0/2/1/1/1/2
  • 2v2: 1988
  • 3v3: 2212
  • RBG: 958

Posted 15 April 2015 - 10:53 AM

catch my drift please

Reading this made my head hurt

Dampening is a silly mechanic. People hated being viper stinged and mana burned the entire game, so they removed them. People hated going 100-0 in 2 seconds the moment they ran behind a pillar, so they made it so that everyone takes forever to die. End result was healers never went oom and people never died, so instead of scaling back those changes they just slapped on dampening and called it a day.

I'm not sure what it is you don't understand or what you're trying to advocate here...

#13 saedia

saedia
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Stormreaver
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Elemental 0/2/0/2/0/0/0
  • 2v2: 1562
  • 3v3: 1609
  • RBG: 957

Posted 15 April 2015 - 11:47 PM

naw the crowd buff was the best xD
Posted Image

#14 Sexyo

Sexyo

Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:58 AM

I'm not sure what it is you don't understand or what you're trying to advocate here...

umm viper sting was removed by anyone but priests? Oo
you were able to LOS mana burn Oo
drain mana - dispelable.
100-0 was rng or due to cc (and was quite normal)

#15 TOmjashroom

TOmjashroom
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Frostmourne
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Discipline 1/1/1/1/0/1/2
  • 2v2: 2319
  • 3v3: 2123
  • RBG: 1148

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:51 PM

Imo dapening is fine but they need to change saving grace again to not have dempen self effect cause that shits retarded. Also id like to see all defensive cds increased to a minimum of 2 min Smaybe 2.3 because creating more/longer kill windows could help speed the game up alot. Passive stances , healing and multiple cc breakers are another contributor to the long games.

I would also make alot of the offesive cds do less damage (incarn for exp) and add another offensive to classes that cant be stacked. this would make more consistant pressure gameplay would feel much faster and less dependant on dampen to score kills.

Edited by TOmjashroom, 16 April 2015 - 08:57 PM.

#16 mikebazowski

mikebazowski
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Ravencrest
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Assassination 0/0/2/2/1/1/0
  • 2v2: 1564
  • 3v3: 1565
  • 5v5: 480
  • RBG: 192
  • LocationGuandanamo

Posted 17 April 2015 - 02:37 PM

Why did warcraft ever need this type of mechanic?
If this game is all about skills and "im better than you" style game, why did we get this awful shit thats called dampening?

Damn u healers,now days u never go oom,u find a huntard carry u,u are the reason a game can last long and centuries in the past....and u still complaining!!Arenas would be more fun without healers did u ever thought of that? :)
Posted Image

#17 Sexyo

Sexyo

Posted 19 April 2015 - 08:07 PM

Damn u healers,now days u never go oom,u find a huntard carry u,u are the reason a game can last long and centuries in the past....and u still complaining!!Arenas would be more fun without healers did u ever thought of that? :)

just kill yourself please :)

#18 jam420

jam420
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Feral 2/0/0/1/2/2/2
  • 2v2: 1715
  • RBG: 1325

Posted 20 April 2015 - 12:01 AM

catch my drift please

• EU-Outland

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

moonfacer

#19 mikebazowski

mikebazowski
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Ravencrest
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Assassination 0/0/2/2/1/1/0
  • 2v2: 1564