• Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Magtheridon
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Fury 1/0/1/1/2/2/1
  • 2v2: 1440
  • 3v3: 384
  • RBG: 576

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:55 PM

I'm the warrior in the group for WLS (both myself and the shaman have 2400+ xp, warlock not as much) so I'm trying to get insight on where he could improve. We ran games last night and it was rough...

On average I was doing a bit over double his damage. His complaint was that anytime that he was being trained he could do no damage and even when he wasn't being trained it still seemed like his damage was low. When the enemy team trained our shaman, no amount of peels was able to keep him up (from what I gathered was due to a severe lack of offensive pressure). We won about half the games we played last night but still feel like there was something severely wrong since there was such a struggle and many games I feel were won due to luck.

Is this normal? Should the warrior in this comp being doing that much more damage? What advice would you give someone in this situation?

#2 Feliclandelo

Feliclandelo
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Shattered Hand
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Holy 0/0/1/2/2/1

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:01 PM

Some players will tell you anything, even if their entire arsenal consists of instant damage, as to why they can't get off pressure.

It's like a Hunter saying he can't do damage because a melee is trying to hit him.

Edited by Feliclandelo, 27 January 2015 - 07:02 PM.

#3 Huxleylol

Huxleylol
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Zuluhed
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Protection 1/0/0/1/0/2/2
  • 2v2: 1877
  • 3v3: 1663

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:03 PM

tell him to shut up and coordinate with you when he wants to port so you can charge root/shockwave so his little whiny ass doesnt get connected to instantly and he can cast

#4 Tekkys

Tekkys
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Stormrage
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Affliction 0/2/0/0/0/0/2
  • 2v2: 2043
  • 3v3: 2228

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:07 PM

There are a lot of things that can contribute to this, especially as WLS. Are you running stormbolt, or are you running shockwave? If stormbolt, your lock should always run shadowfury. Shadowfury to me is way too valuable in so many different situations. Howl is still good obviously, but i personally almost always prefer shadowfury.

As the poster above me said, you have to coordinate your damage, at least in the opener. Once the melee are off him he needs to get his damage going and spread it to your targets. Once he gets it going it is really easy to keep things rotting.
Posted Image

#5 Fizion

Fizion
  • Premium Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Affliction 0/0/0/2/0/0/0
  • 2v2: 1814
  • 3v3: 2101
  • 5v5: 1777
  • RBG: 768
  • LocationAshburn, VA

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:08 PM

The easy fix is find a new lock. I see them spamming all day when I'm on my 2nd lock spamming for 3s (p's me off).

#6 oMiNouSWaNDeReR

oMiNouSWaNDeReR
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Magtheridon
  • Ruin

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:13 PM

Definitely some true points here... He's a RL friend - very interested in learning but new to the class. Has 2k+ exp on his priest so he's not completely new to arena. I swap between stormbolt/shockwave and warbringer charge with blitz depending on who we're facing to help with peels. He is pretty much always running Shadowfury and I'm calling out when to use what for the most part as I'm more experienced with watching buffs/debuffs/DR's.

Opener I could definitely see using some work. What does an ideal opener for WLS look like?

#7 Knaittiz

Knaittiz
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Defias Brotherhood
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Affliction
  • 2v2: 574
  • 3v3: 3067
  • RBG: 1744
  • LocationFinland

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:11 PM

Really hard to judge without actually seeing him play, but I guess he needs to work on fakecasting and keeping soulburn haunt up? Is his gear bad?

Edited by Knaittiz, 27 January 2015 - 08:12 PM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

BUY MY MIXTAPE

#8 Fizion

Fizion
  • Premium Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Affliction 0/0/0/2/0/0/0
  • 2v2: 1814
  • 3v3: 2101
  • 5v5: 1777
  • RBG: 768
  • LocationAshburn, VA

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:23 PM

Since he's an IRL friend, I recommend having him start by applying agony and corruption to all targets before casting so he'll have damage rolling before he gets kicked. If possible, get soulburn haunt out and UA while being safe from kicks and then soul swap UA, cor, and agony around. Then if he gets kicked at least he'll get shards back. He'll eventually work his way up to being able to juke more and get damage out in a more efficient manner.

Have him watch Maldiva or other lock streamers or Knaittiz's (Suomensnutz in this thread) youtube to see what good locks are supposed to do.

#9 oMiNouSWaNDeReR

oMiNouSWaNDeReR
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Magtheridon
  • Ruin

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:45 PM

Great advice, I really appreciate it. His gear is getting there - he's in full 620-626 pvp with like 5 or 6 epics including weapon, so that puts him at like 635-640 ilvl.

I'll have him try following that spell order to see if that makes any different. He's also currently only using gate/port defensively as more as an escape mechanism to avoid damage than to get damage out so that could be a positive change.

#10 panooc

panooc
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Darkspear
  • Cyclone
  • Talents: Enhancement 2/1/0/2/0/2/1
  • 2v2: 765
  • 3v3: 1940
  • 5v5: 96
  • RBG: 1592
  • Locationcape coral florida

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:51 PM

the only warlock iv ewver played with that out damages a warrior or comes is maldiva, and he has legit pve gear, but the lock should be rotting things so you can finish them, one CS on the healer and it should be GG if you are playing it correctly, make sure you arent going imp dispell vs hunter teams the shaman should be able to ground most of them + spell reflect
my hobbies include lifting impossible weights,gigantisim, unskinking the titanic, being invincible, and reading to baby deer

http://i.imgur.com/Bs9h4vO.png

#11 Lolflay

Lolflay
  • Premium Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Kor'gall
  • Cruelty / Crueldad
  • Talents: Discipline

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:24 PM

Warlock should pretty much always outdamage a Warrior unless Warrior is allowed to aoe them like mongs and/or he's left to do w/e he wants while Warlock is being trained and controlled. ( or the enemy team has a cunt resto shaman that gets rid of agony stacks, in which case find him irl and kill him )

Bad locks imo.

[13:49:14] Creed: u have 20min to find a healer, going for a jog
[13:49:53] Creed: nothing like running through the bush being chased by wild animals to get a proper workout
[13:50:01] Creed: you europeans and ur silly gyms

#12 yosisters

yosisters
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Xavius
  • Glutsturm / Emberstorm
  • Talents: Destruction 0/2/2/0/2/1/0
  • 2v2: 1133
  • 3v3: 1888
  • 5v5: 864
  • RBG: 1622

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:01 AM

As a person that just overcame this same problem I can only agree with Suomensnutz. The key is Soulburn Haunt and fake casting. Fake casting takes experience but Shadowfury into SB haunt shouldnt be a problem. And if he knows that he has a problem getting it off, just pop the cooldowns when he gets it off.

You can also communicate to set up shockwave into SB haunt. Is he running 4 piece felweave? then also port offensivley when he gets it off for the vers buff.

One thing I use to keep track of the haunt buff is the "tell me when" (TMW) addon which I set to show a big icon in the center of my screen when I miss the buff. It is irretating as fuck but it tought me how to get it off -> get damage in :P

Also Bloodhorror is useful to get one cast off. with CD popped you can get two casts off during this time. One could be fear to get even more casts off.

Make him use interuptbar to track one the DPS is out of kicks.

Also drain soul is a HUGE damage boost when he is NOT being focused. might help him push his damage when you are trained.

#13 Rawsteel

Rawsteel
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Affliction 1/1/0/0/0/1/1
  • 2v2: 860
  • 3v3: 2920
  • RBG: 1660

Posted 04 February 2015 - 01:14 PM

Am I the only warlock who pretty much never play with Sfury in WLS, except against godcomp? - Where Sfury is for stopping deep-sheep behind any obstacle.
I see howl and coil just being the better options.

#14 Reda

Reda
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Mannoroth
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Affliction 1/1/0/0/0/1/1
  • 2v2: 1579
  • 3v3: 2369
  • 5v5: 288
  • RBG: 384

Posted 05 February 2015 - 10:09 PM

I usually play shadowfury except vs monk teams(coil and swap them with stun).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: affliction, WLS, 3v3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<