Photo

Is there any reason not to use [nochanneling] macros?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 dekonig

dekonig
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Protection 1/0/2/1/1/1/2
  • 2v2: 1988
  • 3v3: 2212
  • RBG: 958

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:00 AM

Rolled an alt mistweaver monk for fun, thought it would be a good idea to use these macros for enveloping mists and surging mists:

/cast [nochanneling:soothing mist] Soothing mist
/cast Enveloping Mist

I did the same with thunder focus tea and chi brew as well. This way, I cast soothing mist when it's not being channelled, and the relevant instant heal when it is. I found this much more convenient than hitting two different keybinds every time, especially when stutter-casting.

Is there any downside to using these macros? For example, are there instances when a mistweaver hard casts EM/SM? I read that these macros tend to increase latency on casts but i haven't felt that personally yet.

#2 Mnmmnmmnmmnm

Mnmmnmmnmmnm

Posted 17 January 2015 - 12:08 PM

I tried this. The problem comes when you change healing targets. If you're casting a heal on one target and then use the macro on another target, it will continue to heal your current target. It will not switch.

edit: if there's some complicated way to fix that then I think it'd be good

Edited by Mnmmnmmnmmnm, 17 January 2015 - 12:09 PM.

#3 dekonig

dekonig
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 17 January 2015 - 01:17 PM

I tried this. The problem comes when you change healing targets. If you're casting a heal on one target and then use the macro on another target, it will continue to heal your current target. It will not switch.

edit: if there's some complicated way to fix that then I think it'd be good

yup I found the same problem too. I have soothing mist bound to its own dedicated key as well so I use that when switching targets, but i do find myself using surge/enveloping on the wrong target some times

#4 Stertuos

Stertuos
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Frostmourne
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Retribution 1/0/0/2/0/2/2
  • 2v2: 1053
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 January 2015 - 01:19 PM

You could try something like castsequence + reset=target. I tried to play around with it but I didn't have much luck with it.... I would end up just having the same problem as above where it would still heal my last target.

edit: You could try and just have it as a modifier, e.g. 1 = soothing mist, shift 1=enveloping mist

Edited by Stertuos, 17 January 2015 - 01:20 PM.

#5 Huxleylol

Huxleylol
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Zuluhed
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Protection 1/0/0/1/0/2/2
  • 2v2: 1877
  • 3v3: 1663

Posted 25 January 2015 - 12:16 AM

anyone have any idea how to make it so you can switch targets?

#6 Bishler

Bishler
  • Sart
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Aerie Peak
  • Misery
  • Talents: Shadow 1/1/0/1/0/2/0
  • 2v2: 2018
  • 3v3: 2181
  • RBG: 1674
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:59 PM

Not a good idea in pvp environments.

a) It makes switching targets harder

B) If the target you heal chases behind a pillar, you usually want to recast the spell on your target so it lasts longer. Nochanneling macros prevent that too
Ignorance is bliss

#7 paypayz

paypayz
  • Junkies
  • Trollclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Discipline 0/1/1/2/2/0/1
  • 2v2: 96
  • 3v3: 2480
  • RBG: 192

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:05 PM

i think since mw channel spell drains mana per second there's no need to worry about clipping like you do if your a shadow priest (not sure though)

does it take mana instantly if you were to spam it? Jw cuz i had the same question on my alt

Edited by paypayz, 27 January 2015 - 11:05 PM.

#8 jaimee

jaimee
  • Premium Junkies
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • EU-Bladefist
  • Blackout
  • Talents: Enhancement 2/1/1/1/1/2/2
  • 2v2: 767
  • 3v3: 2564
  • RBG: 192

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:18 PM

:duckers: If the target you heal chases behind a pillar, you usually want to recast the spell on your target so it lasts longer. Nochanneling macros prevent that too

Posted Image

Edited by jaimex, 27 January 2015 - 11:20 PM.

if you play a disc priest you are not a real human being 

#9 Bishler

Bishler
  • Sart
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Aerie Peak
  • Misery
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:05 AM

i think since mw channel spell drains mana per second there's no need to worry about clipping like you do if your a shadow priest (not sure though)

does it take mana instantly if you were to spam it? Jw cuz i had the same question on my alt

Don't know off the top of my head, gonna check later and edit the post, but even if it does, the other 2 reasons I've stated are enough not to use nochanneling macros
Ignorance is bliss

#10 dekonig

dekonig
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 28 January 2015 - 12:49 PM

:duckers: If the target you heal chases behind a pillar, you usually want to recast the spell on your target so it lasts longer. Nochanneling macros prevent that too

Neither of those are problems so long as you use another dedicated key for SoothingM for regular use. The nochannelling macros just prevent you from hard casting EM and SurgingM by mistake, and allow you to use 1 button to cast Thunder Focus, soothing and surging in 2 presses.

#11 Bishler

Bishler
  • Sart
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Aerie Peak
  • Misery
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:20 PM

Neither of those are problems so long as you use another dedicated key for SoothingM for regular use. The nochannelling macros just prevent you from hard casting EM and SurgingM by mistake, and allow you to use 1 button to cast Thunder Focus, soothing and surging in 2 presses.

Misread your first post, I thought your concern was clipping ticks. Nevertheless, those macros still provide problems when switching the targets you're healing, as you had to experience yourself already.

@Paypay: Checked it now, first mana cost occurs on the first heal tick
Ignorance is bliss

#12 Subservience

Subservience
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Fire

Posted 29 January 2015 - 05:18 PM

For whatever it's worth... Since Soothing triggers a short GCD, it works for me just to have Surging and EM on buttons that can be easily pressed right afterwards. I use ESDF to move/strafe. Soothing is A, Surging is R, EM is on the centermost Naga button. I don't have a problem being in position for a Surging or EM, because my finger/thumb are basically already there. My problem is unnecessarily spamming the Surging key long before the GCD is over. ><

I definitely like having Soothing Mist in my Thunder Focus macro; I can't see any reason not to do that, or any reason I wouldn't want to be using my aura mastery to cast Soothing Mist.

#13 Cardox95

Cardox95
  • Members

Posted 04 May 2016 - 01:45 AM

/cast [nochanneling:soothing mist] soothing mist
/castsequence reset=target soothing mist, surging mist, surging mist, surging mist, surging mist, surging mist

This works perfect without the problem of casting surging mist in the previous target when you already change the target.

Because the soothing mist is being casting in the previous target.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<