• Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Ragnaros
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Demonology 0/2/1/1/2/0/.
  • LocationHungary

Posted 05 January 2015 - 06:42 PM

Hey guys!

I played warlock back in BC and therefore I though that would be a good idea to try it again for the retro feeling. I'm not even near to be a pro but I was able to play on 2-2.2k with several other classes so maybe I'm not entirely lost.

I roughtly know what should be my job as a warlock with my utility spells but I feel my pressure is really really low even if I'm free to cast. I try to maintain soulburn: haunt up, dot everyone and then do a little more dmg with drain soul on the kill target.

I feel my dmg is very low when it comes to bursting. I think the best is to show what am I doing and I made a short video maybe you can tell me what am I doing wrong: https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be
What I do: I fully dot the dummy to pretend the enemy is pre dotted and then I drain soul until my trinket procs, then I thit my burst macro and try to do some dmg with SB: Haunt and Drain Soul.

I'm also curious how can I burst on targets that are not pre dotted? I didn't made a video about that because that would be a complete joke. :) I saw few players that are starting with haunt but I feel that I waste precious time on the debuff while I'm applying my dots.

Thanks in advance, and I hope you wont hate me for these lame questions. :)

Pix

• Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Affliction 1/1/2/0/0/0/1

Posted 05 January 2015 - 07:25 PM

affliction is not a burst spec but its burst is alright if you line up procs with soulburn haunt and drain soul spam
your job is to wear down the whole enemy team at same time not burst one target

#3 Flyhigh

Flyhigh
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Ragnaros
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • LocationHungary

Posted 05 January 2015 - 07:37 PM

Yeah I know that we are not that bursty but my dmg is so low even with cd-s up so I'm sure that I'm doing something wrong with my rotation. I heard that maldiva can do 24k dps on a dummy in pvp gear while I'm only doin 12k. Unfortunately I didn't see his stream to check it out. :(

#4 Fizion

Fizion
  • Premium Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Affliction 0/0/0/2/0/0/0
  • 2v2: 1814
  • 3v3: 2101
  • 5v5: 1777
  • RBG: 768
  • LocationAshburn, VA

Posted 05 January 2015 - 07:55 PM

I didn't see much wrong with your rotation other than not keeping haunt up 100% of the time. I would also put up soulburn haunt as soon as I get my dots up (you casted drain soul first) and pop demonsoul as soon as your trinket procs and then drain soul. There are also guides (not on AJ - you'll have to google) on when to reapply dots so that you get the most out of everlasting afflction.

You also forgot to buff yourself with the spell power buff (can't remember the name for the life of me...long day at work).

I'm guessing your gear sucks, too. That's probably the biggest reason.

#5 Flyhigh

Flyhigh
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Ragnaros
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • LocationHungary

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:19 PM

I'll check out that everlasting affliction maybe that can help a lot since I always stopping my drain soul to reapply my dots. I just casted drain soul to proc trinket but yea I understand that this is a bad decision since it only ticked once. Dark Intent is up, my addon showing it next to the minimap. :)

I wonder if it is worth using the on-use trinket since im not human?

Edit: I just made a video from our last game, it shows what am I doing in real action. My first tip is my badbad position. I really don't know how to chase melee-s when they train the healer who is running around the pillar.
https://www.youtube....h?v=QcWROSi8VVI (sorry for the weird language :))

I really appreciate the advices!

ps: I would change the topic title if I could but I don't want to create a new topic just for another question.

#6 Knaittiz

Knaittiz
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Defias Brotherhood
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Affliction
  • 2v2: 574
  • 3v3: 3067
  • RBG: 1744
  • LocationFinland

Posted 06 January 2015 - 01:50 PM

I'll check out that everlasting affliction maybe that can help a lot since I always stopping my drain soul to reapply my dots. I just casted drain soul to proc trinket but yea I understand that this is a bad decision since it only ticked once. Dark Intent is up, my addon showing it next to the minimap. :)

I wonder if it is worth using the on-use trinket since im not human?

Edit: I just made a video from our last game, it shows what am I doing in real action. My first tip is my badbad position. I really don't know how to chase melee-s when they train the healer who is running around the pillar.
https://www.youtube....h?v=QcWROSi8VVI (sorry for the weird language :))

I really appreciate the advices!

ps: I would change the topic title if I could but I don't want to create a new topic just for another question.

A few tips :)

1) Your pet is not attacking anything, it does pretty sweet damage - in that game I would keep it on the dk 24/7. Also setting it to autocast dispel on the target is fine.

2) You forgot to reapply corruption for 30 seconds (0:45->1:15) that's a huge damage loss, not just because of the dot damage, but because you weren't getting any soul shards for the duration, which means you lost haunts.

3) Fear DR was kind of a problem for you, in that comp vs double melee your priest should have played with void tendrils for the root.

4) 1:05 you should have just started running after the melees and stopped on top of the tomb, it's risky to run in melee range like that because they could interrupt you. When you feel like you have to move again it's time to reapply instant dots (corruption&agony)

Edited by Knaittiz, 06 January 2015 - 01:53 PM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

BUY MY MIXTAPE

#7 Flyhigh

Flyhigh
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Ragnaros
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • LocationHungary

Posted 06 January 2015 - 03:48 PM

1) Your pet is not attacking anything, it does pretty sweet damage - in that game I would keep it on the dk 24/7. Also setting it to autocast dispel on the target is fine.

I got macros (/petattack arena1-2-3) and usually im sending him out manually but if I do that my pet is always in los or too far away when I want to interrupt someone. :S I still don't know who should be in los when I want to interrupt. Pet or me? I really tried to find it out but almost every 2. interrupt happens through pillar that makes it really difficult to decide.

2) You forgot to reapply corruption for 30 seconds (0:45->1:15) that's a huge damage loss, not just because of the dot damage, but because you weren't getting any soul shards for the duration, which means you lost haunts.

It's a shame for me. :S I guess the global cd after agony isn't ended when I was spamming corruption and then I just continued my rotation..

Thank you! Your tips really help a lot!

#8 Fizion

Fizion
  • Premium Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • 2v2: 1814
  • 3v3: 2101
  • 5v5: 1777
  • RBG: 768
  • LocationAshburn, VA

Posted 06 January 2015 - 03:49 PM

Overall, it wasn't too bad but you have a lot of room for improvement. Just a couple things to add in addition to Knaittiz:
  • You're running warrior/lock/priest (not the best healer for war/lock). The comp is all about hard switches to the healer. I would have liked you to dot their healer after the first round of fears on him to really put him far behind and able to be swapped to.
  • You let soulburn haunt fall off for a long time. It's OK to reapply before it's done since you get the extra time added to it. It's a huge damage buff and very important to keep up at all times, especially since you had the shards the whole game.
  • You didn't peel for your healer one time. You got away with it this time, but higher rated DK/rogue (or any two melees) will destroy your healer quickly if you don't.
  • Your shadowfuy was DR'ed from the stormbolt. I recommend stormbolting the healer and shadowfury the DPS to help your healer.
  • You didn't use your port for the damage buff. Dot everyone up, pop CDs, and then port to get the 10% damage buff. It makes a huge difference. I understand wanting to keep it in case they switch, but you still had trinket and a pet. You could have put it on top of the tomb and still been within range of your gateway if things gone really bad. Locks are raid tanks right now when at 100% and with all defensive CDs and trinket available.
  • Don't forget to dot the DK pet.
Edits: fixed my bad English and cleaned up some thoughts.

#9 Flyhigh

Flyhigh
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Ragnaros
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • LocationHungary

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:18 PM

Wow, I didn't expect such a lot and useful information! I'll keep these in mind next time. What healer do you suggest to go with? I know druid and shaman were the best friends of a lock, but I'm not sure after the recent changes to the DRs.

#10 phenorette

phenorette
  • Members
  • Goblinclass_name
  • EU-Frostwolf
  • Blutdurst
  • 2v2: 1933
  • 3v3: 1860
  • RBG: 1965

Posted 08 January 2015 - 10:48 AM

Shamans and Druids are still viable in my eyes, some comps can also be played with a Monk and/or Paladin depending on your preference concerning offensive/defensive play style (Shamans and Druids would allow more offensive styles while Monk and Paladin would be the defensive healers - but that can of course vary from comp to comp...).
Yes, I am THE Phenorette and I am finally back after some years of absence.

#11 Stormfart

Stormfart
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Destruction 2/2/0/2/2/0/0
  • 2v2: 1574
  • 3v3: 1589
  • RBG: 1451

Posted 09 January 2015 - 09:53 AM

Hi Pixelbuddy, got a quest for you - if you have time to answer :)

Why do you renew your Drain Soul after the first tick, in the last 20sec of the video (while killing the priest)? Why not let it channel to the end and then renew?

#12 Flyhigh

Flyhigh
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Ragnaros
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • LocationHungary

Posted 09 January 2015 - 11:16 AM

Hi Pixelbuddy, got a quest for you - if you have time to answer :)

Why do you renew your Drain Soul after the first tick, in the last 20sec of the video (while killing the priest)? Why not let it channel to the end and then renew?

Nothing useful, just a bad habit. I was melee in the last expansion and I used to spam my abilities. :/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dps, affliction, warlock

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<