Photo

The big fat Brewmaster PvP Thread (theorycrafting, gearing and strategy)

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Schackt

Schackt
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Ravencrest
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Windwalker 1/0/2/2/2/1/2
  • 2v2: 1433
  • 3v3: 1079
  • RBG: 766

Posted 02 January 2015 - 11:07 PM

Hey guys! New to the forums, but wanted to contribute!

Let me start off by saying I am by no means an expert PvP'er, neither am I ranked very highly (haven't really tried though). I do, however, enjoy PvP'ing in Brewmaster spec at the moment. I stumbled across it seeing as Windwalker is squishier than a sponge, and Mistweaver never really caught my attention.

Haven't found a thread like this yet, however - if there is one - please redirect me, and consider this one closed.

I won't claim to know a whole lot, but I'm gonna try an summerize my accumulated knowledge, and keep updating this thread with contributions as they come!

MAIN ABILITIES

Guard: Attack Power-based shield increasing selfhealing by 30%. Combine with setbonus from PvP gear for an IMMENSE party effect. 2 charges, recharges every 30secs.

Keg Smash: Your main hitter. Hits like a freight train (expect crits between 30-40k every 8 secs), and is AoE. Make sure you get the Glyph for this one (correct me if I'm wrong).

Serenity: (From T7 talent): Make sure you pick this talent, as it allows for spamming Blackout Kick for 10 secs. Might be an idea to save your CC-breakers for when you use this, so the entirety of your Serenity doesnt get spent in a stun lock.

Blackout Kick: Your standard chi user, hits for good damage, especially with trinkets boosting agility.

Dizzying Haste: Almost essential to slow down casters and ranged classes trying to kite you. Use with Breath of Fire to disorient in a cone.

Breath of Fire: Dmg + DoT in a cone infront of you. See Dizzying Haze for utility.

Leg Sweep (T4 talent): AoE stun for 5 seconds. Use at will, great for taking down casters and/or setting up bursts with teammates.

Paralysis: Glyph to remove dots when used. Use to incapacitate targets you're not focusing. If DR kicks in, you can still use this to interrupt spellcasting/channelig.

Chi Brew: Generates 2 chi and 5 Elusive Brew stacks. Use to maintain rotation as main, or panic-add Chi for guard and/or Breath of Fire. The 5 stacks of EB is nice to have, keeping melee dmg mitigation at a maximum.

OPTIONAL:

Rushing Jade Wind (T6 talent): Great for sustaining dmg while stunned/CC'ed, aswell as detecting Rogues/Druids in stealth. Mediocre dmg.

Invoke Xuen (T6 talent): Summon tiger to deal dmg to more or less everyone for 45 seconds. More or less equal to hunter pet in terms of dmg. I prefer this over RJW for the extra sustained dmg.

Healing Elixirs (T5 talent): Gives a 15% heal when brought under 35% health, once ever 18 secs. Also heals when you drink a brew. Same cooldown. Choose if mainly facing melee damage.

Diffuse Magic (T5 talent): Reduce magic damage by 90% for 5 secs. Reflects all harmful magic back to caster. Choose if mainly facing spellcasting damage.

GEAR and STAT PRIO:

Tl:dr - get as much PvP gear you can. Scales up nicely. It shouldn't take too long to farm enough honor to get 4 pieces of Ironskin (dunno if its a different horde name), which gives you the Guard AoE set bonus. After that, either do Arena to get conquest points (for better PvP gear), or keep doing BG's to get lockboxes rewarding either gear or a good chunk of honor points. Forget Ashran unless you're really sick of regular BGs.

Stat prio:
Agility (for attack power) > Bonus Armor (damage mitigation and more attack power) > Mastery (even more attack power) > Crit/Multistrike > Haste

Attack power boosts your shield, ergo, you want more attack power. Given your lack of SERIOUS burst, you'll want to outlive your opponents as best as possible, relying on your guard and expel harm +++ to keep you going while grinding your target to death. With a couple of good trinkets, and a well timed line of actions and a good amount of crits, you should be able to do 120-180k dmg in 6-7 seconds. In other words - not great. However, your Guard will probably absorb around 100-120k dmg, leaving you with the upper hand after it.

YOUR ROLE IN THE FIGHT:

Supportive damage, CC and defence. As a tank, you're supposed to be the hardest to kill. Dont fright. Killing you within 30 seconds of the fight will take at least 2 dps'ers focusing you. Therefore, most comps in both 2v2 and 3v3 ignore Brewmasters when opening. This leaves you with the advantage of being able to choose your battle plan. Usually, both in 2v2 and 3v3, numbers-game is a sound strategy. If the other comp has a healer, you'll usually try and either keep him out of the fight, or straight up nuke him down. In both cases you can contribute, either by using your Leg Sweep, paralysis and SHS (interrupt), or by popping serenity, Xuen and going to town with KS and BoK.

IMPORTANT: Try and make sure you are always some how in range to the rest of your teammates. The 4-set bonus on Guard has a 15 yard range, and if you are able to utilize this, it will be a MASSIVE boost to your teams defensive capabilities.

OPTIMAL SETUPS:

Here, I'm not really sure, as I'm not too experienced with different comps yet.
Given Brewmasters dont have too much damage, pure healers aren't necessarily your best choice in 2v2s.
Yet, these are my most succesful comps:

2v2:

BM + Fury Warrior | Guard + Fury burst and combined CC is powerful
BM + Boomkin | Youtube it. You'll get the gist of it.
BM + Feral Druid | more damage, and offhealing when needed.
BM + Frost DK | Insane amounts of self healing combined with Frost Burst and cleaving.

3v3:

Boomkin, Affliction Lock or Hunter with Disc Priest or Restu Druid. You'll be borderline unkillable if the healer knows his shit, alternating Powerword: Shield with Guard (Disc), or hots/cooldowns with Guard (Druid).

-----------------------------

As I said, this is all from personal experience. Feel free to contribute, and I will add to this, hopefully making this an informative opening post for all Brewmaster PvP'ers. :)

THANKS!

#2 Shaydd

Shaydd
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Darksorrow
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Shadow 1/1/0/1/1/2/0
  • 2v2: 2402
  • 3v3: 2037
  • RBG: 1904

Posted 02 January 2015 - 11:29 PM

Nice effort, hope this spec will get nerfed, no one else than u is having fun.

#3 Schackt

Schackt
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Ravencrest
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm

Posted 02 January 2015 - 11:36 PM

Well, to be honest, being hard to kill doesn't mean the class i OP. I have NO CHANCE IN HELL killing Resto Druids, Disc Priest and Paladins. I've tried - so many times -, and yet, I can't even get close.

#4 Schackt

Schackt
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Ravencrest
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm

Posted 02 January 2015 - 11:36 PM

STUPID spec, hopefully it gets nerfed, go back to reddit.

Great contribution. Thumbs up.

#5 Shaydd

Shaydd
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Darksorrow
  • Rampage / Saccage

Posted 02 January 2015 - 11:41 PM

http://i.imgur.com/qGPj6SL.jpg dunno if this is op or not...

#6 Volb

Volb
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Holy 0/0/0/2/1/1/1
  • 2v2: 1047
  • 3v3: 2205
  • RBG: 1134
  • LocationTDOT, Canadialand

Posted 02 January 2015 - 11:43 PM

I have NO CHANCE IN HELL killing Resto Druids, Disc Priest and Paladins. I've tried - so many times -, and yet, I can't even get close.

you're a tank, why should you be able to?

#7 Avicularia

Avicularia
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Argent Dawn
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Talents:

Posted 03 January 2015 - 12:10 AM

What do you think about versatility as BM? Shouldn't it be one of the best stats, especially for the 2v2 without a healer?

#8 Schackt

Schackt
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Ravencrest
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm

Posted 03 January 2015 - 12:50 AM

SHAYDE

Not really. The damage is done agains cloth and leather, so basic melee would be a substantial amount. Ergo, not down to class spesifics.

TACOZ

Nope. Ofc not. My point was that BM Monks have weaknesses, along with every other class. Movement is liable to slows and CC. If faced against a good matchup, BM-Monks will often get stuck between targets not reaching. Also, since our main dmg ability Keg Smash is ranged, LoS is used with great effect against us.

AVICULARIA

I thought so too, however, it seems you need insane amounts of versatility to actually make a huge difference. Mastery stacks alot better, giving about 15-16% extra attack power from just 10% mastery.

#9 Shaydd

Shaydd
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Darksorrow
  • Rampage / Saccage

Posted 03 January 2015 - 01:05 AM

BM is as scum as double frost dk or triple blood.

#10 Schackt

Schackt
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Ravencrest
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm

Posted 03 January 2015 - 12:03 PM

While Brewmasters may be strong, they are far from the strongest. In my opinion, the main problem in PvP is that every class can do more or less anything in terms of utility.Druids have blink, and can change in and out of any shape at an irrelevant resource cost. Priests have vanish. Mages has stealth and fucking selfhealing. And the list goes on and on.

All classes used to bring something unique to the table. Now, when all classes have everything (due Blizzard listening to 14-year olds screaming "NEEEERF" whenever they get iilled cuz of their own lack of skill), its damn near impossible to balance it.

Also, I would apreciate if this thread could used for those interested in discussing strategy and such on the Brewmaster monk.
Not hysterical people screaming nerf just for the sake of it. Dont like monks? Dont hang in our subforums...

#11 Shaydd

Shaydd
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Darksorrow
  • Rampage / Saccage

Posted 03 January 2015 - 12:43 PM

If a rogue sits on you and cannot kill you, how is that only strong? Your bubble is undispellable. You heal as much as a disc priest but do way more damage. There is nothing unique beinga raid boss. Its just plain stupid. Not screaming just for the sake of it, no one likes BM monks. Same as double frost dk in 2s.

#12 Schackt

Schackt
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Ravencrest
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm

Posted 03 January 2015 - 01:29 PM

In the events of BM's being nerfed out of PvP, they would be unviable in PvE aswell. It's the same game mechanics.

Also, if Blizzard decide to nerf BM's, Monks are left with not two, but three unviable specs in PvP, seeing as they removed EVERY defensive capability Windwalker ever had.

#13 Shaydd

Shaydd
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Darksorrow
  • Rampage / Saccage

Posted 03 January 2015 - 01:32 PM

MW not viable? Are we playing the same game? Make guard dispellable. No affect in PvE.

#14 Schackt

Schackt
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Ravencrest
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm

Posted 03 January 2015 - 01:38 PM

MWs are viable, but brings nothing to the table Disc Priests or Resto Druids can't do better.

#15 Kidneygod

Kidneygod
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Darksorrow
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Subtlety 1/2/2/1/0/1/0
  • 3v3: 2331
  • 5v5: 960
  • RBG: 1810

Posted 03 January 2015 - 01:40 PM

In the events of BM's being nerfed out of PvP, they would be unviable in PvE aswell.

Yes. This is completely true because pixelated dragons have coordinated purges.

#16 Shaydd

Shaydd
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Darksorrow
  • Rampage / Saccage

Posted 03 January 2015 - 01:42 PM

MWs are viable, but brings nothing to the table Disc Priests or Resto Druids can't do better.

Retard proof cocoon :) Discos bring nothing like that. Rdruids are gods.

Edited by Shaydd, 03 January 2015 - 01:43 PM.

#17 Kidneygod

Kidneygod
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Darksorrow
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Subtlety 1/2/2/1/0/1/0
  • 3v3: 2331
  • 5v5: 960
  • RBG: 1810

Posted 03 January 2015 - 01:46 PM

MWs are viable, but brings nothing to the table

Sap, aoe stun, can heal behind pillars, 300k absorb cocoon when someone pops offensive cd's, portal, best execute in the game, crackling jade mongo dps, nimble brew.

#18 Schackt

Schackt
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Ravencrest
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm

Posted 03 January 2015 - 01:48 PM

Forgot about the cocoon. That one is retarded. Rest isn't worse than Druids INSANELY low form-change cost, rediculous HoT's and defense. Or... you know, Disc Priests in general.

#19 Shaydd

Shaydd
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Darksorrow
  • Rampage / Saccage

Posted 03 January 2015 - 01:54 PM

Whats so op about discos?

#20 Schackt

Schackt
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Ravencrest
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm

Posted 03 January 2015 - 02:05 PM

Penance, PW: Shield every 30 seconds (absorbing alot more than guard), vanish (with decoy), psychic scream, Psyfiend (ever more fear) and Power Infusion. The heals themselves are powerful as fuck, and if you can't burst a priest down within the first 5-8 seconds of the Arena, he's likely to never go below 50%.

But again: this is a thread for Brewmasters, not Disc priests and Mistweavers. I'd be glad to discuss this some other place, but I'd like to keep this thread for those who enjoy playing BM and such. If you would...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<