Photo

Frost DK Research and Stat Facts (Patch 6.2)

Frost Dk Stat priority Gear

• Please log in to reply
215 replies to this topic

#201 Forumz

Forumz
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Argent Dawn
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Talents: Shadow 2/1/1/1/./.
  • 2v2: 2728
  • 3v3: 2279
  • 5v5: 96
  • RBG: 768

Posted 17 August 2015 - 12:38 PM

Greetings Flakkar and thank you for the posts and research you do for us all this time been reading your updates long time now.
Im very new to wow i play like 7 months now or so.

I do have a single question though this time,this patch.
Is it really worthy to go 4 piece set? i can understand that some guys do use obliterate but i really tend to not use it, i always check my runes and toss a howling blast + plague strike instead of an obliterate damage on the tooltip seems better with the obliterates but HW scales with razorice and feels like a single HW is superrior to 1 obliterate.
Was going to use the 4 piece set but trashran gave me all this master+versatility items and kinda put me in a temptation to not use the set.
The problem with it is that i run with only 31% haste on pvp but versatility and mastery are quite well boosted.

If you combine the facts:
1 Frost seems nothing is standard is all about procs its all about luck and wouldnt want more..Luck? just straight dps increase vers+MA
2 I dont use many obliterates so the 4 piece bonus wont work alot on me
3 I feel positive to get used to 31% haste but im not sure yet if i do.

According to all these would you use a single set piece in my position or playstyle?

Thanks in advance!

I'd write something more detailed but it's been done many times in this thread now:

You -should- use Obliterate as Dual Wield. It does more damage than Plague Strike + Howling Blast, has a chance to give you a rime proc, and it also saves a global you get to spend on something else.

Haste is alright but you really just want Mastery and Versatility.

DW Frost has KM procs all the time, it's really not based on luck.
Posted Image

#202 Flakkar

Flakkar
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Frost 1/1/2/2/1/1/0
  • 2v2: 1641
  • 3v3: 2089
  • RBG: 1780

Posted 17 August 2015 - 01:38 PM

I'd write something more detailed but it's been done many times in this thread now:

You -should- use Obliterate as Dual Wield. It does more damage than Plague Strike + Howling Blast, has a chance to give you a rime proc, and it also saves a global you get to spend on something else.

Haste is alright but you really just want Mastery and Versatility.

DW Frost has KM procs all the time, it's really not based on luck.

Agreed.
I might add that beside the fact that Oblit gives higher dps anyway, the only reason you wouldn't run 4 piece is if you're getting killed in 3v3 all the time. I personally notice that DK is not what it used to be in terms of survivability and we are now a decent kill target. So if there is an argument to stacking vers offpieces instead of 4 set, then I could see this being a thing.

#203 Jinngo

Jinngo
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Frost 1/0/1/0/1/2/0
  • 2v2: 1235
  • 3v3: 2434
  • RBG: 576

Posted 17 August 2015 - 02:36 PM

I think you guys might be looking at the math too much, and not at the actual game. The reason why I personally don't run 4 piece & why I might swap to dranei, is for the extra versatility. Survivability is much needed as dw, if you aren't in Frost Presence you do zero damage, and the extra versa helps you stay in FP over Blood pres.

#204 Flakkar

Flakkar
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:09 PM

I think you guys might be looking at the math too much, and not at the actual game. The reason why I personally don't run 4 piece & why I might swap to dranei, is for the extra versatility. Survivability is much needed as dw, if you aren't in Frost Presence you do zero damage, and the extra versa helps you stay in FP over Blood pres.

Agreed that we could use more survivability, but you will have to sit Blood Pres anyway sometimes. Another 2-3% Vers won't let you chill in Frost Pres all the time, but maybe being Draenei will.

#205 kazdum

kazdum
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Warsong
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Destruction

Posted 17 August 2015 - 08:54 PM

Armor option 2: 2 set pieces
Helm: MS/MA
Chest: MA/Vers
Shoulders: Set shoulders
Gloves: MA/Haste
Legs: MA/Haste (you can take the MA/Vers pants but haste is really low with this setup so I prefer the Haste)

You only mentioned one set piece, which one is the other??

#206 Flakkar

Flakkar
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 18 August 2015 - 02:41 AM

You only mentioned one set piece, which one is the other??

Oops, it's the legs actually. I'll add a note.

#207 Nicko_Lps

Nicko_Lps
  • Members

Posted 20 August 2015 - 11:14 AM

You -should- use Obliterate as Dual Wield. It does more damage than Plague Strike + Howling Blast,

Thank you for your answer but i do not know why my Combat log says howling blast alone does 2.5k more dmg from a single obliterate.
Indeed GDC is a problem but still as i see a single howling blast spreads dmg around and most times that HB does not damage only 1 player therefore thats why i feel more to go this way .But really when i see low health and wanna kinda burst i do use obliterates and only,if i see a single UH rune alone then i use PS to get the RP from it.

I have so many versatility pieces from trashran that currently i cant go other way than this,but when i dont know what to do with my conq points in a while...Will try the set as well.

#208 Flakkar

Flakkar
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 20 August 2015 - 02:19 PM

Thank you for your answer but i do not know why my Combat log says howling blast alone does 2.5k more dmg from a single obliterate.
Indeed GDC is a problem but still as i see a single howling blast spreads dmg around and most times that HB does not damage only 1 player therefore thats why i feel more to go this way .But really when i see low health and wanna kinda burst i do use obliterates and only,if i see a single UH rune alone then i use PS to get the RP from it.

I have so many versatility pieces from trashran that currently i cant go other way than this,but when i dont know what to do with my conq points in a while...Will try the set as well.

Obliterate also strikes with the offhand. Are you considering that? Also keep in mind the free howling blasts you get from obliterate procs.

#209 Nicko_Lps

Nicko_Lps
  • Members

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:57 PM

Obliterate also strikes with the offhand. Are you considering that? Also keep in mind the free howling blasts you get from obliterate procs.

Forgot to mention the 2nd time razorice that makes my howling blast hit for 18k then my obliterate 9255 and 4250 offhand.
My numbers on the gladiator sanctum dummy goes abit like this.We must note please that as Mastery scales up the damage diff between obliterate and Howling blast increases due to scale up.
The best about it is that dks are kitable by many classes this way,not much.
Again thats my personal point of view according to the numbers i read and the kite i suffer sometimes :D

#210 Flakkar

Flakkar
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 20 August 2015 - 07:57 PM

I know what you're saying and I've tried both ways, but both I and other DKs here have found that DPS is higher with Obliterate due to the faster conversion of runes to RP. Plauge strike feels like a waste of GCDs.
I agree with you though, when kited I will spam Howling Blast rather than do nothing, but you shouldn't be kited that much. Your team should be helping you with dispels/freedoms, and you can use AMS offensively if you're not being pressured in order to avoid getting snared while going for a kill.

#211 Nicko_Lps

Nicko_Lps
  • Members

Posted 25 August 2015 - 12:07 PM

I agree with you though, when kited I will spam Howling Blast rather than do nothing, but you shouldn't be kited that much. Your team should be helping you with dispels/freedoms,

Now i think you got it why i choosed this playstyle
I even do the crime(for most i guess) and replaced runic power glyph with empower rune weapon just for the 30% health to save myself when getting bursted(not oftenly tho)

#212 Covlol

Covlol
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Arms 0/0/1/0/0/2/0
  • 2v2: 2263
  • 3v3: 2361
  • RBG: 1831

Posted 25 August 2015 - 11:06 PM

I just want to play unholy.
Posted Image
Lvl 1 Dk Legend Covlol

#213 Relentless

Relentless
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Ragnaros
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Blood 0/0/1/2/2/2
  • LocationEngland

Posted 12 September 2015 - 02:54 PM

Legendary ring proc doesnt work in arena right? And its scaled down from 735 ilvl? Wondering whether to bother finished my quest chain for it.

#214 Forumz

Forumz
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Argent Dawn
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Talents: Shadow 2/1/1/1/./.
  • 2v2: 2728
  • 3v3: 2279
  • 5v5: 96
  • RBG: 768

Posted 12 September 2015 - 07:54 PM

Legendary ring proc doesnt work in arena right? And its scaled down from 735 ilvl? Wondering whether to bother finished my quest chain for it.

It doesn't proc and the secondary stats are bad, so no you don't want to use it.
Posted Image

#215 Relentless

Relentless
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Ragnaros
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Blood 0/0/1/2/2/2
  • LocationEngland

Posted 13 September 2015 - 02:24 AM

It doesn't proc and the secondary stats are bad, so no you don't want to use it.

yeh saw crit + multi on it and assumed it would be shit, ah well might just get it for the achv anyway. Cheers though

#216 Frosteye

Frosteye
  • Junkies
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Ner'zhul
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Mistweaver 0/1/2/2/0/2/2
  • 2v2: 1809
  • 3v3: 2320
  • RBG: 1773

Posted 05 March 2016 - 10:52 PM

2 Set option seems a lot more attractive since the nerf to oblit