Photo

Frost DK Research and Stat Facts (Patch 6.2)

Frost Dk Stat priority Gear

• Please log in to reply
215 replies to this topic

#181 Flakkar

Flakkar
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Frost 1/1/2/2/1/1/0
  • 2v2: 1641
  • 3v3: 2089
  • RBG: 1780

Posted 25 July 2015 - 03:38 PM

GJ mate... here is +rep from me too!

Thanks for reading! Let me know if I said anything incorrect so I can adjust.

#182 UmrenTV

UmrenTV
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Silvermoon
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Frost 1/0/2/0/1/0/0
  • 2v2: 1751
  • 3v3: 1785
  • 5v5: 1723
  • RBG: 1627
  • LocationMacedonia

Posted 25 July 2015 - 04:19 PM

Thanks for reading! Let me know if I said anything incorrect so I can adjust.

Everything was awesome :D
Posted Image
---- | Twitch | YouTube | Twitter | Facebook | Umren.TV | ----
------- | Be a Cool Bro, Subscribe / Follow / Like! (m) | -------

#183 hyyalvin

hyyalvin
  • Members

Posted 27 July 2015 - 10:54 AM

Great guides~!
I have two doubts about the BIS gear.
The choices of boots and neck.
Would other options with MA be better?
Boots: MA/MS (instead of Vers/Haste)
Neck: MA/Crit (instead of MS/Haste)
Is the principle to choose any pieces with MA or choose any pieces without Crit?

#184 Flakkar

Flakkar
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 27 July 2015 - 05:52 PM

Great guides~!
I have two doubts about the BIS gear.
The choices of boots and neck.
Would other options with MA be better?
Boots: MA/MS (instead of Vers/Haste)
Neck: MA/Crit (instead of MS/Haste)
Is the principle to choose any pieces with MA or choose any pieces without Crit?

Yeah I see what you mean. The way I do it is I have a huge spreadsheet that I don't put online because it's too much information, but I essentially compute a numerical value for the relative dps increase of each piece. The pieces with the highest value become my recommendation.

I checked a little more closely, and you're probably right. Although the haste gear will have higher sustained DPS, you get a lot more mastery with the MA boots/neck, and your frost strike spam burst will hurt a lot more.

Just note that you are losing some Vers so you will take a bit more damage. If it becomes rough later in the season, I would swap the boots since there's very little difference between the two.

The neck is not the best because of the Crit. Crit is so bad for frost, it might as well not be a stat on the item. However, the neck is slanted to have more MA than Crit, so I think it's probably tolerable here.

Thanks for catching that! I have updated the post.

Edited by Flakkar, 27 July 2015 - 11:11 PM.

#185 Yossah

Yossah
  • Members

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:50 PM

Quick question about DW Frost weapons, looked around the forums for a while and couldn't find anything about it or I missed it.

Wild Gladiator's Pummeler and Cleaver have 814-1514 damage
Wild Gladiator's Quickblade has 931-1398
Other stats for all 3 are the same
(Not in PvP combat)

Which is better? Or would it be better to have a mix of both like top end damage for MH/consistent damage for OH?

My apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere I just couldn't seem to find it. Thank you in advance.

#186 Flakkar

Flakkar
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 29 July 2015 - 12:10 PM

I'm inclined to say that a smaller damage range is better because it's more consistent, but it's a small difference. The larger range on the mace will produce more spectacular bursts but it will also produce worse ones. Ultimately comes down to how consistent you want to be.

#187 hyyalvin

hyyalvin
  • Members

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:15 AM

Yeah I see what you mean. The way I do it is I have a huge spreadsheet that I don't put online because it's too much information, but I essentially compute a numerical value for the relative dps increase of each piece. The pieces with the highest value become my recommendation.

I checked a little more closely, and you're probably right. Although the haste gear will have higher sustained DPS, you get a lot more mastery with the MA boots/neck, and your frost strike spam burst will hurt a lot more.

Just note that you are losing some Vers so you will take a bit more damage. If it becomes rough later in the season, I would swap the boots since there's very little difference between the two.

The neck is not the best because of the Crit. Crit is so bad for frost, it might as well not be a stat on the item. However, the neck is slanted to have more MA than Crit, so I think it's probably tolerable here.

Thanks for catching that! I have updated the post.

Thanks a lot for the explanation and test~!!

#188 Treta

Treta
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Azralon
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Windwalker 1/1/2/2/0/2/1
  • 2v2: 1631
  • LocationBR

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:35 PM

I got the flat STR + Mastery trinket on my DK in trashran last week. Having in mind I'm a human, what do you think about it OP?

#189 Yossah

Yossah
  • Members

Posted 31 July 2015 - 07:30 PM

Thanks a bunch!

#190 Flakkar

Flakkar
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:31 PM

I got the flat STR + Mastery trinket on my DK in trashran last week. Having in mind I'm a human, what do you think about it OP?

That sounds awesome. I'd be super tempted to wear it, but I don't really know if its better than the vers/proc strength. Why don't you try it out and let us know? Definitely the on use vers trinket should be your other one.
I'll see if I can math it out and see the impact on burst and sustain. The proc strength trinket makes you hit like a truck but doesn't always kick in when you need it, so I wouldn't be surprised if yours gives better results.

#191 Flakkar

Flakkar
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:26 PM

Hey guys, I made an update to the gear recommendation:

Note: For DW I'm recommending the 4 piece bonus, but I'm not 100% sure that it's the way to go. You gain 10% more frost damage, but you're trading around 5-6% DPS and 1% damage reduction for it. If it turns out that 4 piece bonus uptime isn't close to 100% during bursts (uptime seems pretty good from my experience), then we should ditch all the set pieces and stack mastery.

I want some feedback from you guys. Which do you think is better:
Option 1) 4 piece bonus -> 10% more frost damage when rime procs for 8 sec, 45% chance to proc on Oblit. You are probably using 2 Oblits per rune cycle. Runes cycle once every 8 sec or so. If you start with full runes and pop 2 oblits going for a burst, you have a 1-(55%*55%) = 70% chance to score a Rime proc which will give you the 8 sec of Frost damage boost, and a free howling blast of course.

Option 2) 2 piece bonus -> you run the shoulders, which are BiS in all cases, and the pants. You gain 7% more overall DPS compared to option 1, but no 4 pc bonus. You also have way less Crit, so less wasted stats, and more multistrike which means more bursty KM frost strikes.

Option 3) 1 set piece only -> you run the shoulders, which are BiS, but now you wear the Vers pants. Vers gives more burst than the Haste pants, but no set bonus at all. You still have way less crit, and more MS same as option 2. You have 5-6% more DPS than option 1. However, you have 4.4% less haste than option 1 or 2. This makes your rune times quite slow compared to option 2 or 1, which feels a bit rough to me, and you get wasted globals sometimes, but you hit harder on Frost strike spams.

What do you guys think is best?

#192 Forumz

Forumz
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Argent Dawn
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Talents: Shadow 2/1/1/1/./.
  • 2v2: 2728
  • 3v3: 2279
  • 5v5: 96
  • RBG: 768

Posted 01 August 2015 - 12:42 PM

It's much better to play around rime procs for your CC chains in my experience. 10% doesn't sound like much but it's actually a lot of damage on your Frost Strikes. If you make sure you have a rime proc right before you dump your RP you'll get a lot more pressure than if you just skip it.

So in my opinion, the 4-set is worth it. Crit isn't -as- terrible for DW Frost because you still benefit from it for howling blasts.

Edited by Forumz, 01 August 2015 - 12:47 PM.

Posted Image

#193 Fennixqt

Fennixqt
  • Junkies
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Unholy 1/2/1/1/1/1/2
  • 2v2: 1199
  • 3v3: 2729
  • RBG: 1335

Posted 03 August 2015 - 08:09 AM

Thanks a lot for posting this!

Edited by Fennixqt, 03 August 2015 - 08:36 AM.

#194 Numsie

Numsie
  • Members
  • Goblinclass_name
  • US-Shattered Hand
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Survival 0/0/2/2/0/2/0

Posted 07 August 2015 - 01:14 PM

So is 2h Frost dead? I check the ranking to see what more of the top tier DK's are gear for more of, and all the Frost DK's in the top have 2h. Now I know I dont do arenas as much as them, I like to get my gear and world pvp, but is the site jsut not updating quick enough to show the weapon change on these DK's or are they prefering to stick with 2h?
ANother question(I know it's very early to start speculating on this) but with the anouncement of the artifact weapons, is 2h Frost just getting the old heave hoe? I feel I do more dmg and have more surv(for what ever reason I dont take as much dmg with 2h).
Last one I promise, lol. They said the pvp talents would not work in pve, only in bg's and arenas. Do you think they will "tick" on just like the item lvl change for world pvp?

#195 Flakkar

Flakkar
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 07 August 2015 - 02:16 PM

So is 2h Frost dead? I check the ranking to see what more of the top tier DK's are gear for more of, and all the Frost DK's in the top have 2h. Now I know I dont do arenas as much as them, I like to get my gear and world pvp, but is the site jsut not updating quick enough to show the weapon change on these DK's or are they prefering to stick with 2h?
ANother question(I know it's very early to start speculating on this) but with the anouncement of the artifact weapons, is 2h Frost just getting the old heave hoe? I feel I do more dmg and have more surv(for what ever reason I dont take as much dmg with 2h).
Last one I promise, lol. They said the pvp talents would not work in pve, only in bg's and arenas. Do you think they will "tick" on just like the item lvl change for world pvp?

2h Frost is kinda dead, yes. I don't know what you mean about top rated DKs...they are using dual wield, not 2h.
As for the expansion, it does look to me like 2h frost may not exist anymore, but that's just guessing on a super early reveal. I wouldn't hold my breath on any assumptions on what Legion will be like. As in the past, this xpac will be radically different at release than it is right now.

#196 Numsie

Numsie
  • Members
  • Goblinclass_name
  • US-Shattered Hand
  • Ruin

Posted 07 August 2015 - 07:36 PM

cool thank you:D
I meant the frost dks that are highest on the rankings list on this website. When checking their gear they all have 2h. unless they're in blood or unholy spec when blizz takes the snapshot of them for the armory

#197 Flakkar

Flakkar
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 08 August 2015 - 12:19 PM

I meant the frost dks that are highest on the rankings list on this website. When checking their gear they all have 2h. unless they're in blood or unholy spec when blizz takes the snapshot of them for the armory

Oh I'm gonna take a wild guess that most ppl don't update their profiles. I know I don't :P

#198 Jinngo

Jinngo
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Frost 1/0/1/0/1/2/0
  • 2v2: 1235
  • 3v3: 2434
  • RBG: 576

Posted 08 August 2015 - 12:53 PM

Yeah going two hand is probably not a good idea, I personally tried to make it real but the damage outside of burst is just so damn low.

#199 Numsie

Numsie
  • Members
  • Goblinclass_name
  • US-Shattered Hand
  • Ruin

Posted 08 August 2015 - 01:55 PM

cant find the delete post button quick enough, lol. my computer didnt load the newer comments quick enough until i had hit submit, lol./ so i edited to this rambling apology, haha

#200 Nicko_Lps

Nicko_Lps
  • Members

Posted 17 August 2015 - 09:29 AM

Stat Priority:
So the stat prio for 6.2 DW Frost in my opinion is the following ('>>' means much better).
Str >> MA >> Vers > Haste > MS >> Crit

The stat prio for 6.2 2h Frost remains:
Str >> Vers > Haste > MS >= Mastery >> Crit

Gear Selection:

Go DW this season. The pressure it puts out is unreal! Hope they don't nerf it...
Here is my best attempt at putting together a gearset that satisfies the above.

Note: For DW I'm recommending the 4 piece bonus, but I'm not 100% sure that it's the way to go. You gain 10% more frost damage, but you're trading around 5-6% DPS and 1% damage reduction for it. If it turns out that 4 piece bonus uptime isn't close to 100% during bursts (uptime seems pretty good from my experience), then we should ditch all the set pieces and stack mastery.

Armor option 1: 4 set pieces
Helm: Set helm
Chest: MA/Vers
Shoulders: Set shoulders
Gloves: Set gloves
Legs: Set pants

Armor option 2: 2 set pieces
Helm: MS/MA
Chest: MA/Vers
Shoulders: Set shoulders
Gloves: MA/Haste
Legs: MA/Haste (you can take the MA/Vers pants but haste is really low with this setup so I prefer the Haste)

Accessories:
Boots: MA/MS
Belt: Vers/MA
Bracer: MA/Haste
Neck: MA/Crit
Cloak: MA/Haste
Ring1: MS/Haste
Ring2: MA/Crit
Trinket1: Str with on use Vers
Trinket2: If human the alternate Str trinket or Vers+proc Str one. If any other race, the 800 Vers stun breaker trinket.
Enchants: Mastery

Weapon Enchants: Fallen Crusader mainhand, Razorice offhand

Final projected bonuses:
+8.4% MS option 1, +12.7% option 2
+43.3% MA option 1, +47.2% option 2
+11.5% Vers option 1, +13.5% Vers option 2 (with 800 Vers trinket)
+7.4% Crit option 1, +2.9% option 2
+15.5% Haste option 1, +11.1% option 2

Greetings Flakkar and thank you for the posts and research you do for us all this time been reading your updates long time now.
Im very new to wow i play like 7 months now or so.

I do have a single question though this time,this patch.
Is it really worthy to go 4 piece set? i can understand that some guys do use obliterate but i really tend to not use it, i always check my runes and toss a howling blast + plague strike instead of an obliterate damage on the tooltip seems better with the obliterates but HW scales with razorice and feels like a single HW is superrior to 1 obliterate.
Was going to use the 4 piece set but trashran gave me all this master+versatility items and kinda put me in a temptation to not use the set.
The problem with it is that i run with only 31% haste on pvp but versatility and mastery are quite well boosted.

If you combine the facts:
1 Frost seems nothing is standard is all about procs its all about luck and wouldnt want more..Luck? just straight dps increase vers+MA
2 I dont use many obliterates so the 4 piece bonus wont work alot on me
3 I feel positive to get used to 31% haste but im not sure yet if i do.

According to all these would you use a single set piece in my position or playstyle?

Thanks in advance!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Frost, Dk, Stat priority, Gear

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<