• US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Retribution 1/0/2/2/0/2/0
  • 2v2: 1525
  • 3v3: 2416
  • 5v5: 1619
  • RBG: 1739

Posted 28 November 2014 - 05:30 AM

I'm not suggesting to only use one keybind. I'm suggesting that we should adapt scientific methods to improve our gameplay through the use of improved macros, and keybinds.

On the contrary, I find alt-shift-q and alt-shift-e extremely easy to hit.

Alt-shift-S has grown on me as well.

Alt-shift-W as well, and sometimes, Alt-capslock-Q, Alt-capslock-E

Those are the only two+ modifier keybinds I use.

Alt-capslock-Q, Alt-capslock-E
Sacred Shield party1 and party2
Alt-capslock-W = self

Alt-shift-S
Sprint

Alt-shift-W
Beacon Self

Alt-shift-Q = beacon party1
alt-shift-E = beacon party2

Everything Q is party1
Everything W is self
Everything E is party2

shift-Q = target party1
Shift-E = target party2

Edited by Darkrizen, 30 November 2014 - 07:11 PM.

#44 boatznhoez

boatznhoez

Posted 28 November 2014 - 06:33 AM

holy shit you put so much effort in "this"

#45 Gashgordonv

Gashgordonv
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Frostmourne
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Holy 0/0/2/1/1/2/2
  • 2v2: 1557
  • 3v3: 2164
  • 5v5: 384
  • RBG: 1554

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:33 AM

Yeah I don't know what you're talking about either, but to stay on topic, I'm trying to write a macro that would look something like this.

/castsequence [target=mouseover] reset=1 Beacon of Light, Beacon of Faith

I just want a one button Beacon macro for when I spec into it. Any (rational) ideas on how to improve this?

Edited by Gashgordonv, 02 December 2014 - 11:33 AM.

#46 Subservience

Subservience
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Fire

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:13 PM

- Use ESDF instead of WASD
- Use a Naga

#47 Spyrö

Spyrö
  • Premium
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Dun Modr
  • Cruelty / Crueldad
  • Talents: Shadow 0/1/1/1/0/0/0
  • LocationSpain

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:21 PM

Yeah I don't know what you're talking about either, but to stay on topic, I'm trying to write a macro that would look something like this.

/castsequence [target=mouseover] reset=1 Beacon of Light, Beacon of Faith

I just want a one button Beacon macro for when I spec into it. Any (rational) ideas on how to improve this?

/use [@mouseover, talent: 7/1] Beacon of Faith
/use [@mouseover, talent: 7/3] Beacon of Light

#48 Kelarm

Kelarm
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: ./././././.
  • RBG: 2922

Posted 02 December 2014 - 10:55 PM

The 3rd guy in your party is dead. Looks like all those macros didn't help you.

Official Blizzard Quote:

Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.

Finally, I understand why pvp in this game is so bad.

#49 Relentless

Relentless
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Ragnaros
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Blood 0/0/1/2/2/2
  • LocationEngland

Posted 04 December 2014 - 03:25 PM

why are you trying so hard when you're a 1900 player, OP? :duckers:

Meanie

#50 Darkrizen

Darkrizen
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 06 December 2014 - 07:44 PM

The 3rd guy in your party is dead. Looks like all those macros didn't help you.

Your signature,

Is a reference to polymorphism in computer science. The developer probably said something to him, and it's tradition to teach it using ducks.

#51 Darkrizen

Darkrizen
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 22 March 2015 - 03:30 PM

Here's two good rebuke macro's for holy paladin.

This targets the nearest enemy player if you are targeting a friendly target or none at all and focuses them (regardless if current focus exists). In the case that you are already targeting a harmful target, then it bypasses the /targetenemyplayer and focuses your current target. It then rebukes your focus target such that if you are healing your partner, and run up to the enemy healer (without dropping targets) and you press this macro, then it will kick them. This would work say if, you have a resto druid focused, and a mage blinks to poly you: then you can hit this macro and it will automatically focus the mage (if he's the closest target in your frontal-targeting cone) and rebuke him. Some would argue that the frontal-targeting cone would be imprecise. However, consider that you must be within the frontal radius of range to rebuke anyways.

/targetenemyplayer [noharm]
/focus [harm]
/use [@focus, exists] Rebuke

#52 Darkrizen

Darkrizen
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 22 March 2015 - 03:45 PM

And yall are mean. Just one day I was like "oh hey I'm going to share my macros" since everyone keeps asking me macro questions. And that macro's are an art form, and they haven't changed very much since the first two xpac's. My concern was along the lines of, why are we still writing the same macros? It's like using C to write a webpage. Programming languages advance over time and WoW's in-game macro programming language has not. (But addons have, which they essentially use the same syntax as macros).

Edited by Darkrizen, 22 March 2015 - 03:47 PM.

#53 Hallowix

Hallowix
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Discipline 1/1/0/1/0/1/2
  • 2v2: 1405

Posted 27 March 2015 - 12:32 PM

Hello,

I am a long time lurker on arenajunkies and had to create an account to reply to this thread. I am by no means new to World of Warcraft, but I am extremely amateur when it comes to pvp. I have used the same keybinds for years and only in the last year or so did I begin attempting to wrap my head around the idea of keybind optimization. I couldn’t help but feel that there must be a better way.

I have gone over your post a couple times and am just super impressed by the form and content of it. I haven’t fully absorbed all it has to offer yet, but I couldn’t stop myself from making a response about some topics that I’ve found to be important with respect to keybinds that you might not have touched on (if you have, please forgive me).

First, what are your thoughts on character movement? I noticed that you have W bound, but what about A and D? More importantly, assuming your A and D keys are still used for strafing, how does this affect your access to the Q and E keybinds that we’re all so fond of? I myself am in the habit of using A and D quite often while moving around and if I’m strafing to the left and need to use my Q keybind, I’m confronted with either removing my ring finger from A in order to hit Q or using my middle finger to activate it. When adding modifiers to the mix (I myself have been a long time user of shift and have only recently dabbled in alt, and btw you blew my mind with the shift+alt revelation), things can get more uncomfortable. Is strafing often simply a bad habit? Do you ever face this issue?

Secondly, could you please speak to the idea of having skill macros impregnated with their targeting functions and how this compares and contrasts with other players who seem to have their targeting specifically assigned to their mousewheel for example? I myself see the merit in and prefer macros that alter their target based on their modifier, yet again I’m confronted with the issue of not having enough binds. Admittedly, I have yet to experiment with double modifier binds and will do so extensively which will probably help alleviate this.

Finally, on the topic of double modifier keybinds, are there ever problems regarding the order in which the keys are pressed? For example, say I want to press alt+shift+e, but the e engages before the shift and the game executes alt+e. Is this a problem that you’ve faced or does it not come up very often? Also, is there a rational behind which kinds of skills or functions you bind to a double modifier key? Are they automatically self-targeting? Are they longer cooldowns?

Again, if you’ve touched on any of these questions in the original post then I apologize.

#54 Tripyo

Tripyo
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Frostmourne
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Frost 1/0/2/2/1/2/0
  • 3v3: 2305

Posted 27 March 2015 - 01:31 PM

i too enjoy occasionally doing acid

#55 Keelinm1

Keelinm1
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Frost 1/1/0/2/2/2/2
  • 2v2: 1415
  • 3v3: 1702
  • RBG: 1681

Posted 27 March 2015 - 01:38 PM

Swag thread
sometimes i sit up & wonder what could have happened if i never got a job or life, but instead dedicated all my days to my 8/10 normal brf guild http://puu.sh/hd87p.jpg

#56 Filthpig

Filthpig
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Enhancement 0/2/0/1/1/2
  • 2v2: 1605
  • 3v3: 2448
  • 5v5: 288
  • RBG: 1945

Posted 27 March 2015 - 03:42 PM

This is the longest post I've ever seen on a PvP forum

#57 Violatrix

Violatrix
  • Premium Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Discipline 0/2/1/0/2/1
  • RBG: 1790
  • LocationLos Angeles, California, USA

Posted 27 March 2015 - 05:23 PM

I'm not hitting alt-shift ANYTHING.

Lightweight Chastise CD tracker:  http://www.curse.com...ixchastisetimer

Feral tears  :wub:

#58 Violatrix

Violatrix
  • Premium Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Discipline 0/2/1/0/2/1
  • RBG: 1790
  • LocationLos Angeles, California, USA

Posted 27 March 2015 - 05:28 PM

Your signature,

Is a reference to polymorphism in computer science.

It could also be a reference to Monte Python's The Holy Grail, wherein ducks are said to float because they are made of wood. If a woman weighs the same as a duck, she, too, is made of wood, and is therefore a witch. That is why we burn witches. They are made of wood, just like battlegrounds. :duckers:

You may, naturally, apply the idea of polymorphism here as well, as the duck and the witch are themselves subtypes of the wood superclass.

I though my ridiculous commentary would be apropos in this thread.

Edited by Violatrix, 27 March 2015 - 06:30 PM.

Lightweight Chastise CD tracker:  http://www.curse.com...ixchastisetimer

Feral tears  :wub:

#59 Darkrizen

Darkrizen
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 29 March 2015 - 01:24 PM

Hello,

I am a long time lurker on arenajunkies and had to create an account to reply to this thread. I am by no means new to World of Warcraft, but I am extremely amateur when it comes to pvp. I have used the same keybinds for years and only in the last year or so did I begin attempting to wrap my head around the idea of keybind optimization. I couldn’t help but feel that there must be a better way.

I have gone over your post a couple times and am just super impressed by the form and content of it. I haven’t fully absorbed all it has to offer yet, but I couldn’t stop myself from making a response about some topics that I’ve found to be important with respect to keybinds that you might not have touched on (if you have, please forgive me).

First, what are your thoughts on character movement? I noticed that you have W bound, but what about A and D? More importantly, assuming your A and D keys are still used for strafing, how does this affect your access to the Q and E keybinds that we’re all so fond of? I myself am in the habit of using A and D quite often while moving around and if I’m strafing to the left and need to use my Q keybind, I’m confronted with either removing my ring finger from A in order to hit Q or using my middle finger to activate it. When adding modifiers to the mix (I myself have been a long time user of shift and have only recently dabbled in alt, and btw you blew my mind with the shift+alt revelation), things can get more uncomfortable. Is strafing often simply a bad habit? Do you ever face this issue?

Yeah, I use a and d to strafe. This is something I highly recommend. Remember that hile strafing you are pushing down at least one button. I tend to strafe right when I hit q, and left when I hit e. No matter what you will face this issue imposed by strafing with any Keybind on any keyboard. The alternative is like you said, to use mouse buttons or the scroll wheel.

Secondly, could you please speak to the idea of having skill macros impregnated with their targeting functions and how this compares and contrasts with other players who seem to have their targeting specifically assigned to their mousewheel for example? I myself see the merit in and prefer macros that alter their target based on their modifier, yet again I’m confronted with the issue of not having enough binds. Admittedly, I have yet to experiment with double modifier binds and will do so extensively which will probably help alleviate this.

Well, algorithmically would you rather take two steps to achieve each spell cast, or one? As far as the limited Keybind space on the keyboard, is quite large as I demonstrated some of the math in the OP. But if you are concerned with using up all five bars, I recommend finding an Haddon. It is possible to Keybind macros without using the wow Keybind menu. Search for it, and also look on my github github.com/nfgallimore for Neilyo's

Finally, on the topic of double modifier keybinds, are there ever problems regarding the order in which the keys are pressed? For example, say I want to press alt+shift+e, but the e engages before the shift and the game executes alt+e. Is this a problem that you’ve faced or does it not come up very often? Also, is there a rational behind which kinds of skills or functions you bind to a double modifier key? Are they automatically self-targeting? Are they longer cooldowns?

Once you hit e, the action is sent. So the character must be the final key pressed in such a sequence.

Also, my btag is Darkrisen1#1686, whisper me if you have any questions.

#60 Odrareg

Odrareg
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Holy 1/0/2/2/1/0/2
  • 2v2: 1960
  • 3v3: 2151
  • LocationItaly

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:26 AM

I haven't fully read the thread but from what I could gather you're basically discussing keybinds optimization.

I'm going to be very honest, I think this could have been a "serious" concern back in cataclysm and maybe mists as well.
In fact we had way more spells back then, which did indeed make necessary a "clever" keybinding setup.

However this doesn't mean you shouldn't think about doing it in WoD. The point I'd like to make though is that it doesn't really matter and it won't turn you into a better player - there's many more and totally different factors that increase your skill.

I'm pretty convinced that you need a keybinding overhaul once your left hand starts HURTING, cause that means you're doing some fucked up movements with your fingers.

Example: I've always played healer since the dawn of time hence why I can heal for a week straight without feeling any stress on my hands because it's all bound to "simple" binds like 1 2 3 4 5 and a few modifiers, plus as a paladin for example BoP / Sacrifice etc is all set on binds like F C T and so on, which are all very easy to reach. This means I put dps spells on weirder and "harder" keybinds because I don't use them too often. I've always had crusader strike on CTRL+E...then I started playing ret now and then and arena sessions of a few hours with me using all weird dps keybinds would truly hurt as fuck. (I keep my flash of light on 3 for example even if I'm ret, I don't really put dps spells on 12345).

Another small problem I've encountered with my own binds is when 6.1 came and they buffed Execution Sentence; you need to try to use it with wings and on use trinket, which has always been bound on Shift+D for me. Wings+Trinket+Sentence can be used in the same gcd pretty much, and having my hand twist on 5 + 6 + ShiftD as quickly as possible is a bit hard, hence why I'm considering to make a separate macro for that or changing those binds.

Long story short, I think these are the situations that point out to you when you need to switch some keybinds. Doing it for the sake of "rotation" is excessive, in my opinion (unless as ret for example you put crusader strike on 1 and judgement on 8, but in that case you're stupid, it's not about optimization).

Remember that long sessions of playing whilst spamming keybinds do hurt your joints and fingers on the long run. After all my years of playing WoW, if my fingers stay still for a while, just bending them will make them slightly crack, and I'm afraid it can get worse.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cast Sequence Macros, Keybinds, Macros, Holy Paladin, Modifiers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<