Photo

Dilly's Survival Hunter PvP guide (6.2.3)

• Please log in to reply
395 replies to this topic

#61 Rawrbertlol

Rawrbertlol
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Survival 0/0/2/2/0/0/0
  • 2v2: 1900
  • 3v3: 2672
  • 5v5: 1656
  • RBG: 1576

Posted 06 November 2014 - 02:55 AM

Hmm, one thing perhaps worth noting in your guide Dillypoo, is how strong BM potentially can be in WoD. As much as you dislike it, BM has quite a few perks going for it right now, for one access to devilsaur which grants both crit AND and MS effect. Their pvp set bonus (You and your pet share DR's on CC) also completely made up for the beastial wrath nerf imo. BM doesn't really need top of the line gear to do good damage at the start of an xpac thanks to how they scale, where as marksmanship is very haste and weapon damage dependent and with all the casting we will have to do at the start you will feel it. Another little bonus for BM is as of 6.0.2 AMOC scales with BM mastery, which is VERY noticeable, crows being our highest damage ability and all.

I feel like you are correct about MM working better with ATC and a handful of other melee cleaves though, it will allow our mastery to really be useful if we can have a melee to keep things off of us.

Anyway just my two cents.

Edited by Rawrbertlol, 06 November 2014 - 05:25 AM.

#62 Remade

Remade
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Frost 1/0/0/2/1/2/.
  • 2v2: 1440
  • RBG: 576

Posted 06 November 2014 - 05:35 AM

Honestly I am actually enjoying the way BM plays too. I agree about MM better with controlling Melee but BM looks like it could be good too

#63 Matusai

Matusai
  • Junkies
  • Trollclass_name
  • US-Ragnaros
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Guardian 2/2/1/2/0/1/0
  • 2v2: 1483
  • RBG: 1141

Posted 06 November 2014 - 05:51 AM

How do you think hunters fare in terms of dueling in WoD? Is there any spec that seems to be standing out? Does any particular class/spec give hunters trouble?

Great detailed guide!

#64 Dills

Dills
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Survival 1/2/1/0/2/1/1
  • 2v2: 672
  • 3v3: 2867
  • RBG: 1680

Posted 06 November 2014 - 06:26 AM

Yeah BM is not bad, and it does come down to playstyle preference. The best comp it would probably do in is ret hunter because while rets offer a lot of support as a melee they dont give true peels, only off heals, freedoms, sacs etc, but that can be useful for bm for keeping you mobile. Being BM also gives you the option to tranq shot more frequently because your damage is tied in mostly to your pet. Because of that you don't really lose much of your damage when you are getting dispels out, and that is very strong when you have a ret on your team. And of course crows does more damage as BM plus Bestial Wrath and crows share the same CD, so the spec can be very very strong when having a ret on your team.

It is not my preference however, so it's not something I will probably play a lot but I will not deny that it can be viable. I just didn't really include too much of it into the guide as the way BM works is just more of a simplistic spec. You do your basics as a hunter and that's really it. So any of the information in the guide and tips and tricks or little things that you do as a hunter even as marks really apply the same way to BM.

All 3 specs have their pros and cons, my favorite is Marksmanship with it's ability to heavily punish someone especially when having a melee on your team, and survival second for it's mass amounts of utility and kiting potential. BM is my least favorite, but that doesn't mean that I believe it is not strong.

@Pokeplz I think hunters are a lot better at dueling at 100, your leveling perks make you a stronger dueler in all 3 specs, and tbh, I think hunters are weaker in duels during the pre patch. Rets and DKs in particular are very challenging, due to high amounts of healing, ranged damage, and good uptime. Also binding shot bugs a lot vs ret pallies and as marksmanship you really need that stun to work for you to get a kill >.>

But continued onto dueling the leveling perks for all 3 specs, BM, SV, and MM are all great for duels. Not only that but Adaptation is awesome for BM and Ammunitions is awesome for SV/MM in duels. I feel hunters really become a lot stronger and their design for WoD becomes more concrete more than any other class once they are level 100. A lot of people that worry about the class I feel haven't seen how hunters are on Beta but as long as bugs are fixed and each spec could get a few tweaks here and there, I feel level 100 will be very fun as a hunter.

the only hunter i approve of is dillypoo. the remainder of hunters' existence offends me to my core. when i wake up, i am troubled that in some parts of the world, there are other humans who still partake in slavery, sex trafficking, and hunter playing on world of warcraft

Posted Image

did you ever get round to taking it? It's actually the best free site i've found :)

Gonna take that as you flopped hard and couldn't get near my score with repeated tries :)

#65 Rawrbertlol

Rawrbertlol
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Survival 0/0/2/2/0/0/0
  • 2v2: 1900
  • 3v3: 2672
  • 5v5: 1656
  • RBG: 1576

Posted 06 November 2014 - 06:48 AM

Well said Dilly, one thing i'm sort of considering as BM is, the new talent "Adaptation".

I noticed using this talent that while we get a lot of the abilities of all of the specs, there is a few choices we will have to make, one being pet spec. when using adaptation each spec has a unique ability or abilities that aren't bundled into the talent, Tenacity for example has the abilities "Charge" (a 1 second root on 25 second cooldown), and Thunderstomp an AoE attack. The possible uses I see for the spec is that charge root could be very good for trapping off of since the CD's are so close.. the thunderstomp AoE doesn't seem too useful, but one use I thought of with it, is now that we no longer have hunters mark or serpent sting, we could use it on a priest as they spectral guise to immediately pull them back out, since it is not on our global cooldown as it is a pet ability, and an Aoe. Just one possible use.

The Drawbacks of Tenacity is that we lose Access to Dash, and Bullheaded.

For Cunning we gain access to Dash and Bullheaded our pets trinket so to speak, that is the only perks from picking that pet talent tree. It's very useful I feel for teams that are intelligent and catch your pet in a ring / fear, it sort of guarentees we will be able to sac, even if the pet gets caught in CC.

For Ferocity the only perks at all we have is Dash and Heart of the Phoenix, I personally can't ever see a use for that with how low pet rez time is these days, especially on an 8 minute cooldown, but I just thought I would mention it for completeness. There still may be a few situations where it could be handy.

I'm really not 100% sure which spec I like best, any thoughts Dilly?

Edited by Rawrbertlol, 06 November 2014 - 06:52 AM.

#66 Dills

Dills
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn

Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:00 AM

It's just going to come down to preference and situation. You can have the same pet type and just have 3 different ones, and rotate between the 3 specs with your adaptation talent depending on what comps you're playing against. If your pet is going to die a lot vs something (think warlock teams possibly) you can use the ferocity. Vs a thugcleave I'd say tenacity can be useful, and vs rmp or just any other mage team I'd go bullheaded. But I really would always keep high value to cunning because bullheaded>ros has saved my life many times. You never know when your pet will get fucked over by little cc, so I would only choose the other specs at the right timings and under key circumstances vs comps that will not require you to bullheaded ros.

the only hunter i approve of is dillypoo. the remainder of hunters' existence offends me to my core. when i wake up, i am troubled that in some parts of the world, there are other humans who still partake in slavery, sex trafficking, and hunter playing on world of warcraft

Posted Image

did you ever get round to taking it? It's actually the best free site i've found :)

Gonna take that as you flopped hard and couldn't get near my score with repeated tries :)

#67 Spartan0921

Spartan0921
  • Members

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:27 AM

Really THX Dilly!The best Hunter PVP guide I ever seen.

My question is: How do you value Glyph Black Ice for SUV hunter in PvP situation (RBG and Arena especially)?

I've checked many top Hunter's armories, almost never seen this glyph. This makes me confused, coz I really think it is highly valuable for SUV hunter, a spec which can have at most 3 ice traps working simultaneously.

Another question: Will you add SUV hunter's content in this guide in the future? I really think SUV's short CD trap and high gross dot damage makes the spec has strong differential advantage in RBG and Arena. .

Also: What is the stat priority for SUV hunter in WOD?

#68 Dills

Dills
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:08 AM

Really THX Dilly!The best Hunter PVP guide I ever seen.

My question is: How do you value Glyph Black Ice for SUV hunter in PvP situation (RBG and Arena especially)?

I've checked many top Hunter's armories, almost never seen this glyph. This makes me confused, coz I really think it is highly valuable for SUV hunter, a spec which can have at most 3 ice traps working simultaneously.

Another question: Will you add SUV hunter's content in this guide in the future? I really think SUV's short CD trap and high gross dot damage makes the spec has strong differential advantage in RBG and Arena. .

Also: What is the stat priority for SUV hunter in WOD?

Black ice glyph is good in situations where you are kiting a lot around slow traps and only spamming them but it's not something that's useful all the time. Honestly I've gotten the most use out of it in duels, but not so much in arenas. In bgs it could be better, but yeah for arenas the glyph isn't as worthwhile, unless you're fighting a specific melee match up that you're just going to have them only focus you while you run around in ice traps which is pretty unlikely to happen often honestly.

Yes, I will add more survival portions to this guide.

I can't remember the stat priority at this moment, so I can't answer your question now but I can by the time WoD is out. I believe that Multistrike was really valuable for survival as well as mastery, but I could be wrong and am not 100% certain atm what's the go to for priority on Survival. Those will be updated with WoD, but just are not 100% certain right now.

Posted Image

#69 spreadlol

spreadlol

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:05 AM

So MM would be the spec to go on WOD? No more Survival?

#70 Wayreth

Wayreth
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Stormrage
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Frost 1/1/0/2/2/0/2
  • 2v2: 2032
  • 3v3: 2277
  • RBG: 1758

Posted 06 November 2014 - 02:25 PM

Personally, I think survival will certainly be viable. Not sure about high ratings but the damage is decent, however consistent and not bursty. Really depends on the comp. I could see PHD or jungle being strong with survival.

Having a 12s cd on traps is really good. It gives a lot of different options for using traps not available to MM/BM. One, if gives you some room for error if you fuck up and miss your trap, its back up again in 12 seconds. Two, it gives you the option of a DR'd trap when going for a kill (Trap -> 4 second cc -> DR'd trap). Or three, it allows you to use frost trap in between full traps (4 second root with survival is a nice kiting tool). Not to mention more frequent knockbacks - but you have to be wary of DR.

The downside is obviously that survival has lower burst and literally zero cooldowns outside of talents. No rapid fire, no kill shot are pretty substantial losses. Of course it will remain to be seen how everything plays out at 100, but I am willing to bet survival will be at least playable, if not preferred for various comps.

#71 Dills

Dills
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn

Posted 06 November 2014 - 06:21 PM

So MM would be the spec to go on WOD? No more Survival?

I feel MM will be very strong in a lot of melee hunter x compositions, but survival and BM will be viable as well. However I feel MM has the best potential to secure kills of all 3 specs, while the others bring their own pros and cons as well.

Oh and @Wayreth yes Survival is good in that situation. Something that's also neat to remember is that as survival in some situations you can give up one of your major glyphs (most likely animal bond or solace or something) and replace it with snake trap depending on what you're fighting. This will be useful if you're wanting to specifically use freezing traps a lot more vs a specific team while still keeping your entrapment root :) That will come in most handy vs teams with priests in my opinion, so it's something neat to remember.

But yeah, survival brings a lot of consistent damage to the table. I've honestly thought about it a lot and it might do really well with a warlock because you'd have a lot of potential to kite and make a longer game with more spread damage. You'll have the consistent damage from Survival and Aff dots, and you'll have peels from fears and from 12 second ice traps + knocktraps. It could have a lot more potential as a rot comp than what Hunter Lock was last season (Spam CC 420 years of CC onto the healer, Wyvern>Trap>Scatter>Silence>Shadowfury>Fear>fear>fear rinse repeat and just get kills because their healer never plays). You'd be able to swap a lot, kite a lot, and just spread aids everywhere so I don't think it would actually have bad potential.

BM would succeed most with ret paladin, possibly some situations with feral, but I'd still prefer a feral with marksman. It's really going to come down to your preferences, but like I've said again and again, I feel Marksman will bring the most potential to secure kills out of the 3 specs.

Posted Image

#72 Ksp

Ksp
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Beast Mastery 2/2/2/0/1/1/.
  • 3v3: 192

Posted 07 November 2014 - 06:07 PM

The cool thing about this next season to me is that I feel like all of our specs will actually be viable. Like Dilly said above, survival I think could be very good with aff lock. I'm interested to try it with other classes too, as it's my current favorite.

It'll be really interesting to see diversity of specs/glyphs in the ladder. Hunters are in a very good place imo.

#73 Megatf

Megatf
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Marksmanship 0/0/0/2/0/1/0

Posted 08 November 2014 - 06:25 PM

hunter hero
Posted Image

#74 Megatf

Megatf
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Marksmanship 0/0/0/2/0/1/0

Posted 08 November 2014 - 06:25 PM

on a side note, doing bg's right now and barrage is just godly...
Posted Image

#75 Dills

Dills
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn

Posted 09 November 2014 - 11:13 PM

The cool thing about this next season to me is that I feel like all of our specs will actually be viable. Like Dilly said above, survival I think could be very good with aff lock. I'm interested to try it with other classes too, as it's my current favorite.

It'll be really interesting to see diversity of specs/glyphs in the ladder. Hunters are in a very good place imo.

Yup survival with aff will be good. Oh and with fire too because we increase fire damage and just seems like fire and survival have good synergy now.

Posted Image

#76 Mattadoro

Mattadoro
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Mannoroth
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Marksmanship 0/1/2/2/0/2/.
  • 2v2: 2090
  • 3v3: 2769
  • 5v5: 2517
  • RBG: 767
  • LocationGAINSville, The Gym

Posted 11 November 2014 - 03:03 PM

:hunter: :hunter: :hunter: :hunter: :duckers: :hunter: :hunter: :hunter: :hunter:

Edited by Mattadoro, 11 November 2014 - 03:04 PM.

Posted Image

#77 Thrakmar

Thrakmar
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Frostmourne
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Balance 1/0/0/1/2/2/2
  • 2v2: 2211
  • 3v3: 1627
  • RBG: 1723

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:23 AM

Best class guide I've ever seen. Thanks man.

I've always enjoyed MM the most and BM the least of all specs (I hate the clunky feeling of KC when swapping targets), but I can't help but feel BM gets far better uptime in arena.

Even when the target is out of LOS, you can still keep the majority of your damage on them.

Opinions?

#78 Elbareth

Elbareth
  • Moderators

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:39 AM

Excellent post Dilly.

#79 Dills

Dills
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:36 AM

Best class guide I've ever seen. Thanks man.

I've always enjoyed MM the most and BM the least of all specs (I hate the clunky feeling of KC when swapping targets), but I can't help but feel BM gets far better uptime in arena.

Even when the target is out of LOS, you can still keep the majority of your damage on them.

Opinions?

Yes BM has better uptime. Marks has higher burst potential though and has the ability to secure kills better, if played properly.

Posted Image

#80 Dills

Dills
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:36 AM

Excellent post Dilly.

Thank you ^^

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<