Photo

Dilly's Survival Hunter PvP guide (6.2.3)

• Please log in to reply
395 replies to this topic

#301 DreaedHunter

DreaedHunter
  • Members

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:15 PM

Got a few questions, comp is disc, fire mage, BM (I know it's weird).

3. Should I roll SV with this comp? We have come to rely on my killshots to secure the kill, would I serve better as a CC bot with high sustained damage?

4. You have mentioned we can chain CC with Trap > stun > trap. You sound like stun is guaranteed. Is there a trick to using Binding Shot so it always stuns as soon as it lands?

IMO, If you think your fire mage can get a kill with only your DoTs in the trap > stun > trap then yeah surv would be good. BM is better if you need the hard swap with BW / Killshot to secure the kill.

If my druid doesnt have a stun / cant cyclone I sometimes Binding shot > explosive trap > ice trap but it is harder to use and the healer might get a spell off before the stun (which could be all they need). Might not be worth it though because your wasting two utility abilities for one combo, not to mention binding shot doesn't work half the time. This is only in 2v2 tho, I would go wyvren in 3v3. This is only my opinion not dillys but I hope it helps.

#302 Dills

Dills
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Survival 1/2/1/0/2/1/1
  • 2v2: 672
  • 3v3: 2867
  • RBG: 1680

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:39 PM

Got a few questions, comp is disc, fire mage, BM (I know it's weird).

1. Adaptation or Exotic Ammo for BM?

2. Why you don't consider Power Shot viable?

Glaive Toss does pitiful damage, in PvE it's barely a DPS gain in single target, and I can't even imagine any use for Barrage.
Power Shot provides an extra knockback, which can be used as a peel if double melee gets on your healer, as a form of CC to knocback the enemy healer so far he can't heal his DPSers, or knockback the DPSer out of healer's reach.

3. Should I roll SV with this comp? We have come to rely on my killshots to secure the kill, would I serve better as a CC bot with high sustained damage?

4. You have mentioned we can chain CC with Trap > stun > trap. You sound like stun is guaranteed. Is there a trick to using Binding Shot so it always stuns as soon as it lands?

1. Always adaptation as BM

2. Powershot is a bit too gimmicky and inconsistent, you dont need the knock due to having explosive trap, and overall glaive toss is just more reliable, and the best use is to have it as a filler, while you dont really need powershop/barrage in an arena as your filler since they aren't too efficient.

3. Survival might be best for that comp tbh, fire damge increase buff might be nice? and also just having slow traps/constant freezing traps makes up for the fact that it's harder to hardcast sheeps and also the loss of roots and whatnot.

4. When I say that stun I usually mean a team mates stun i.e if you play with a ret, you'd want to try to get your trap on your own, have him hoj, and then you'd half trap after it. Binding is a lot more unreliable of course, but you can still use it in those situations when it's from yourself. Hopefully that hoj example makes sense of what i mean though, since most melee classes have a short cd stun (stormbolt, asphix, hoj, rogue cheaps or kidneys, feral bashing or maiming etc)

the only hunter i approve of is dillypoo. the remainder of hunters' existence offends me to my core. when i wake up, i am troubled that in some parts of the world, there are other humans who still partake in slavery, sex trafficking, and hunter playing on world of warcraft

Posted Image

did you ever get round to taking it? It's actually the best free site i've found :)

Gonna take that as you flopped hard and couldn't get near my score with repeated tries :)

#303 Grobian

Grobian
  • Members

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:36 PM

Hi, I am new to class and back to wow after a break. I am stuck on average rating. One of the things I believe I can improve is tracking of buffs on target. I often find myself trying to freeze trap/knock/stun immune target. While some of buffs are quite obvious like warrior spinning, DK with AMS I am missing some of cc immunities due to lack of knowledge of other classes. Together with that I want to improve my tranq usage for offensive dispel. I am aware of addons which can track buffs and able to setup.
To sum it up : I am looking for some up-todate- list of buffs which I am able AND are WORTH to dispel and list of buffs which will screw with my freezing, stunning and knockback (Especially on melee). Then I am able to set it up based on my needs with Raven for example. If there is already addon doing that based on class I am all ears...

Thx , Grob out...

#304 Yuni

Yuni
  • Members
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Aegwynn
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Discipline 1/1/0/1/1/1/2
  • 2v2: 2206
  • 3v3: 1813
  • RBG: 1733

Posted 06 January 2015 - 01:07 PM

buffs:
Dk's:
the blue procc (idk the name)
Priest:
everything ..^^
Monk:
theire hot is huge i guess(dont know the name)
Shamans:
Earthshield,tidal waves,ns
Pally:
selfless healer stacks,Bop,Sac(very important if ure playing vs a holy pally cuz it will break ure trap)
restoDruids
everything lol
Hunter:
Masters call (freedom)
Feral:
Reju,Predators swiftness (instant procc)
Mage:
Icy veinse,icebarrier
Rogue:
-
Warri:
-
Lock:
Dark intent(dmg buff like the mage one)

i hope i did not miss anything

things that can screw up ure bindings are druids and rets druids are able to shapeshift them and rets can just walk out of it i guess

i guess u know that but priests are able to death ure traps
Dk's icebound makes them immun to knockback
Dk's desecrated ground makes them immun to everything while they are standing in it.

and dont knockback on cd cuz the knockback dr is on 15 sec while ure traps cd is on 12

maybe that helps u <3

#305 Iridar

Iridar
  • Members

Posted 06 January 2015 - 01:33 PM

Warri:

You can dispel warrior's enrage, which will shut down Fury's damage. Quite fun to do, actually.
They're like: hurr durr me hulk smash!
Me like: lol nope (dispel enrage)
They like: FFFFuUUUUUU

#306 arkas77

arkas77
  • Members
  • Goblinclass_name
  • EU-Talnivarr
  • Reckoning / Abrechnung
  • Talents: Survival 0/0/2/2/0/0/0
  • 2v2: 1601
  • 3v3: 573
  • RBG: 1139

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:45 PM

Hey dilly! Awsome guide btw;) As am fairly new to pvp aswell would it be possible to make an 1v1 guide vs each class/specc? That would be really helpfull for all of us the newbies wanting to dive into the pvp world:)

#307 Brachy

Brachy
  • Members

Posted 07 January 2015 - 11:58 PM

Figured it'd be better to ask here than to make a new thread, even though Dilly doesn't play surv.

First question, I recently discovered the wonder of Snake Trap, but I don't know if it's better to replace Animal Bond or Solace, some insight would be nice.
Second question, I play Surv/Disc in 2s, and besides the general issues I have with peeling, I have no idea how I'm supposed to seal the deal in terms of killing people. Survival just doesn't have the bursty cooldowns that the other two specs do, and despite using Ice Trap or Explosive Trap to interrupt casts, I just can't bring people down.
I am Ornholio, I need humanity for my Thunder Pole!

#308 Dills

Dills
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Survival 1/2/1/0/2/1/1
  • 2v2: 672
  • 3v3: 2867
  • RBG: 1680

Posted 08 January 2015 - 12:16 AM

Figured it'd be better to ask here than to make a new thread, even though Dilly doesn't play surv.

First question, I recently discovered the wonder of Snake Trap, but I don't know if it's better to replace Animal Bond or Solace, some insight would be nice.
Second question, I play Surv/Disc in 2s, and besides the general issues I have with peeling, I have no idea how I'm supposed to seal the deal in terms of killing people. Survival just doesn't have the bursty cooldowns that the other two specs do, and despite using Ice Trap or Explosive Trap to interrupt casts, I just can't bring people down.

Animal bond would probably be the best replacement for taking snake trap glyph :~) I'm fairly sure snake trap still spreads dots onto random targets, so having solace would be necessary :P

And for survival in 2s you just want to try to have infinite cc chains, Survival hunter healer is one of the strongest things you can run in 2s atm. What you should try to do is trap>fear/priest 2 sec silence/binding shot>half trap>other cc over. Eventually you guys will win games, you just have to be very patient :~) As survival you basically just never let the enemy teams healer play and you gradually drain the dps's hp

the only hunter i approve of is dillypoo. the remainder of hunters' existence offends me to my core. when i wake up, i am troubled that in some parts of the world, there are other humans who still partake in slavery, sex trafficking, and hunter playing on world of warcraft

Posted Image

did you ever get round to taking it? It's actually the best free site i've found :)

Gonna take that as you flopped hard and couldn't get near my score with repeated tries :)

#309 Brachy

Brachy
  • Members

Posted 08 January 2015 - 09:34 AM

As survival you basically just never let the enemy teams healer play and you gradually drain the dps's hp

Any tips on how to beat ferals or retris and their selfhealing, or rogues and their Burst of Speed? Those in particular bring me the most grief

#310 Zentrifuge

Zentrifuge
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Feral 2/2/0/0/0/1/1
  • 2v2: 1433
  • 3v3: 2401
  • RBG: 1803
  • LocationBoise

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:57 PM

yeah as Surv/Rdruid, combat rogue spamming burst of skill and ret/feral are the hardest teams for us by far.

#311 DreaedHunter

DreaedHunter
  • Members

Posted 09 January 2015 - 12:32 AM

I am currently running Rdruid/Surv for my 2's and were floating around 2.2k and we should be higher. What I found that makes a huge difference is making sure you full trap -> stun(or any ~5 sec cc) -> half trap -> chain cyclone/interrupt/binding shot until traps DR is up again. The trick I found is to NEVER use your 1/4 DR trap. You want to make sure that after your half trap you can hold off the heals until your full trap is up again for another trap/stun/trap combo. If you can master ccing the healer like this, your slow DoT's will burn them down.

Also, on that note, it is important as well to use AMoC and Black Arrow right after your first duration trap. If you use them while the healer is not CC'd you are wasting your highest damage abilities, and the healer will be able to heal through them easy. It is important to use these when the healer is being CC chained to put on as much pressure as possible.

Surv does feel like it has no burst sometimes, but it is our strong healer control that makes us so good. Hope this helps!

#312 Iridar

Iridar
  • Members

Posted 09 January 2015 - 04:57 AM

Also make sure not to spam Explosive shot if it procs, let the first one tick out before the second is applied. Also try to use them after black arrow for the fire damage buff.

Is this a joke? Explosive Shot's DoT stacks since MoP launch iirc.
What fire damage buff?

#313 DreaedHunter

DreaedHunter
  • Members

Posted 09 January 2015 - 05:26 AM

That explains a lot, haven't played since then xD. And I have a fire dmg buff from my 4 set. Could be wrong tho since I have been gearing marks for 3s.

#314 Iridar

Iridar
  • Members

Posted 09 January 2015 - 05:44 AM

That explains a lot, haven't played since then xD. And I have a fire dmg buff from my 4 set. Could be wrong tho since I have been gearing marks for 3s.

Yeah, you're correct about fire damage buff from the 4 set.

#315 Wian

Wian
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Burning Blade
  • Blackout
  • Talents: Survival 0/0/2/2/0/1/2
  • 2v2: 2330
  • 3v3: 2303
  • 5v5: 2002
  • RBG: 1711
  • LocationSlovakia

Posted 09 January 2015 - 11:21 AM

yeah as Surv/Rdruid, combat rogue spamming burst of skill and ret/feral are the hardest teams for us by far.

yea, help with this pls

#316 xmeo7099

xmeo7099
  • Members

Posted 10 January 2015 - 12:54 AM

hey man. just wondering if you had any tips for new players? just started playing and wanted to get into pvp.. now sure how to set up macros and all that. let me know! ill be sure to check out ur live streams as well. thanks for the guide.

#317 Brachy

Brachy
  • Members

Posted 10 January 2015 - 01:50 AM

hey man. just wondering if you had any tips for new players? just started playing and wanted to get into pvp.. now sure how to set up macros and all that. let me know! ill be sure to check out ur live streams as well. thanks for the guide.

I suggest you go here http://www.arenajunk...16-jsrs-macros/ for macros. As for learning the game, hunter right now is most likely one of the easiest classes in the game to learn. Our CC is more powerful than ever, we can't be interrupted like casters can, we have 3 extremely powerful defensives, and controlling more than one target is a breeze with Explosive Trap and Binding Shot.
Just keep doing PvP until you have a very good idea of what every class can do, look up specs, enchants and glyphs, and just try to have fun!

#318 baggylol

baggylol
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Marksmanship 0/0/2/2/0/1/0
  • 2v2: 1426
  • 3v3: 1648
  • RBG: 958

Posted 10 January 2015 - 02:20 PM

Is MM better then BM for thugcleave? also would sub be better for this comp aswell or nah?

#319 Evyx

Evyx
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Jubei'Thos
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Marksmanship 2/1/2/2/0/2/0
  • 2v2: 1677
  • 3v3: 1602
  • RBG: 1748

Posted 10 January 2015 - 04:11 PM

Hi Dilly,

So I've been doing thugcleave (sub/mm/rdru) with my mates so far and we're doing ~okay~ at 1700mmr (lol) but we keep losing to fdk/ret/disc. We've tried cc-ing fdk and disc while training ret but when they spam freedom, etc etc my druid just melts and dies. Then we tried training the disc while peeling the melees and my druid still dies. We utilise all our CCs but can't seem to do much about it.

Any specific tips please?

EDIT: Also, every comp I queue into is ret/fdk/healer. Wtf?

#320 Lolzorzzzz

Lolzorzzzz
  • Members

Posted 10 January 2015 - 04:20 PM

Hunter 2s guide :

1. Spec surv
2. Find a healer
3. DR your own traps and faceroll to 2k5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<