#1 Mendicant

Mendicant
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Destromath
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Mistweaver 1/0/2/2/2/2/.

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:31 PM

Updated for Legion (Basic overview for MW atm)

This will probably be under construction for a few days, would just like to get talents out of the way.

Table of Contents
1.0 Introduction
1.1 Talents
1.2 Healing
1.3 General Tips
2.0 Comps
2.1 Macros

1.0 Introduction

Hey. I'm Mendi. I like cleaves.

Talents

Level 15:

1. Mistwalk. I don't think anything else is even remotely worth taking and therefore won't discuss. This talents gives you insanely high mobility and it heals a decent amount.

Level 30:

1. Chi Torpedo - Helps you quickly cross the map to get a clutch para/sweep and thanks to the Yu'lons gift we don't need Tiger's Lust nearly as bad.

2. Tiger's Lust - I don't think this is needed unless you are against a SV hunter tbh. Chi Torpedo is better for you in every way, and most roots got pruned.

Level 45:

1. Mist wrap - Gives you an extra second on EM and keeps you mobile+able to channel around pillars.

2.Lifecycles - Rarely will you go this. If a composition is playing absurdly safe with the goal of ooming you to kill, this is the only reason you would take this.

Level 60:

Ring of Peace, Song of Chi-ji, and Leg Sweep.

All 3 of these are good and completely dependant on what comp you are playing. However, if you are playing with a caster, and/or playing on the Blade's Edge arena map,Ring of Peace should be used. It can knock melee off the side heavily relieving pressure

Level 75:

Healing Elixir - Only talent worth taking. I tried Diffuse, I feel Elixir is better in every way, shape, and form.

Level 90:

Jade Serpent Statue - Bread and butter. Consistent healing, best for longer games.

Invoke Chi-ji - Best for comps with 2-3 minute high damage CDs and AoE (AKA ferals w/ incarn or just feral teams in general.) This can relieve a lot of pressure instantly.

Level 100:

Focused Thunder - Probably the best. You can FT+RM everyone on your team in the opener and keep it rolling with Vivify

Mana Tea - Because we have instant cast EM, this could be good against rot-heavy comps that high semi-high burst where you'll have a period of spamming Vivify.

Honor Talents

Tier 1

If Orc - Relentless 100% of the time*

Not Orc - Regular trinket, possibly Adaptation depending on comp.

*-Very rare cases where Adaptation could possibly be better EG against rogue/mage possibly

Tier 2

1.Vim and Vigor - This is going to be your go to 90% of the time. The 20% increase gives you insane healing output and almost every comp in the game shouldn't be able to kill you in a timely manner.

2. Zen Focus - If you are being trained and can't handle the pressure and or can't kite well enough, this is probably better. Run of the mill Aura mastery, but honestly not that great. You do not take damage from UA dispels while benefitting from aura mastery

Tier 3

1. Yu'lon's Gift - Uhhhh. Uhhh. Dispels all snares when you roll. So good. So, so good.

Tier 4

1. Surge of Mist - Probably the only talent work taking. Way of the Crane is more for fun and Ancient MW arts is to buggy+makes you oom so fast. Instant EM best EM.

Tier 5

Chrysalis, Counteract Magic, and Dome of Mist

All 3 are top tier. Easy rule of Thumb:

1. Does the team have a magical DoT that will likely be on 2 or more people?
Counteract Magic.

2. Does the team have a purge? Will the team likely be purging often and is it more or less beneficial than the other 2?
Dome of Mists

3. If the team has no purge nor high spread damage, go Chrysalis.

Tier 6

1. Refreshing Breeze - Only talent able to be taken imo. Every team has so much cleave ability, and this is a flat increase. Both effuse and Vivify have a 1.33s cast time in arena, and vivify heals significantly more than effuse in the first place. (However, is more mana munchy)

Healing

I don't think this needs a write-up, but I will just point out this to note

Enveloping Mist - Increases healing received via the Monk [You] is +40%

Vivify - w/ Honor talent refreshes the duration of RM and heals 3 people

Essence Font - While you will almost never use this in PvP, the HoT effect allows your mastery (Which heals for ~66k in PvP) to double dip. Aka Essence font-hot applies to dps-vivify for 100k+66k+(Free 66k)

General Tips

I only have a few, however will add any suggestions below.

1. Port Placement - Remember to constantly replace your port. Make sure you can always port incase you get swapped on or find yourself about to be feared

2. Aura Mastery Vs. Unstable Affliction - While under the benefit of Aura Mastery, you take no damage from UA dispel (Which we know can easily hit 1m+ atm) so if you start falling behind you could [Thunder Focus Tea] and Revival to dispel everything and top your team off.

3. Provoke

/cast [@arenapet1/2/3] Provoke
You can taunt Mage/Hunter/X pets to break Poly/Trap./Wyvern ect.

It's easy to do and there's not reason to not be doing it.

*Against mages this is very buggy. I did a lot of test (All with pet on passive like a real mage would) And it only seems to work in the water ele is near the end cast of a waterbolt on another target BEFORE they cast poly.

Comps

Anything. Literally anything. Like seriously. Anything.

Macros

/cast [@arena1/2/3] Paralysis
/cast [@arenapet1/2/3] Provoke
/tar arena 1/2/3
/tar party 1/2

Twitch Streams to watch out for

*Copied from Nayokos thread, some may be inactive. I will underline those I know are currently active, please let me know if others are active.

Adellah -- twitch.tv/adellahx
Berreb -- twitch.tv/berrebii
Blackrick -- twitch.tv/rickblackx
Blacksteve -- twitch.tv/unchainedx
Blakexo -- twitch.tv/synthic123
Boople -- twitch.tv/booplesnootslol
Clammy -- twitch.tv/clammyqthehe
Dordrum -- twitch.tv/k0range4
Duck -- twitch.tv/duck489
Gaalon -- twitch.tv/gaalon
Jajajajacaob -- twitch.tv/jacobxtv
Jao -- twitch.tv/yojao
Kp -- twitch.tv/kpthemonk
Mendi -- twitch.tv/mendithemw
Monkzz -- twitch.tv/monkzz69
Nepho -- twitch.tv/nepho
Vampz -- twitch.tv/vampzqt
Verelea -- twitch.tv/rookere
Vinkz -- twitch.tv/vinkz1187
Wiggy -- twitch.tv/wiggychee
Nayoko -- twitch.tv/nayokotvx

Edited by Mendicant, 05 October 2016 - 04:26 AM.

#2 Regent

Regent
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Mistweaver 0/0/2/2/0/2/.
  • 2v2: 2318
  • 3v3: 2622
  • 5v5: 2528

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:07 PM

EDIT: You fixed the issue.
---

MW will be getting utterly destroyed unless Blizzard somehow gets rid of honorbuddy interrupts.

Edited by Regent, 24 October 2014 - 08:34 AM.

#3 Mendicant

Mendicant
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Destromath
  • Rampage

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:17 PM

All I've seen is people complain 24/7 about how bad MW is.

It's still prepatch, at 100 we have a good amount of tools on hand, we just have to play shaman pillar and rely on partners. The only issue I see is rogues, but even then damage is so retarded right now I couldn't care less. If mana turns out to matter my opinion will change, but ATM I'm pretty ok.

#4 Marshmellow

Marshmellow
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Windwalker 1/0/2/2/2/1/2
  • 2v2: 2375
  • 3v3: 2440
  • RBG: 960

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:20 PM

[quote name='Regent' timestamp='1414015648' post='4240114']
"stutter" not "studder"

MW will be getting utterly destroyed unless Blizzard somehow gets rid of honorbuddy interrupts.
[/quote]

I think the reduced GCD on soothing mists is enough to get surging mists and enveloping mists off without being kicked, honorbuddy affects everything that casts not just monks

only thing I dont like about mw is that uplift is actually decent in arena now, but the cast time makes it so awful, same in pve too

#5 Mendicant

Mendicant
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Destromath
  • Rampage

Posted 23 October 2014 - 02:34 PM

Added multiple updates, made it look a bit neater. If any improvements could be added lemme know, thx

#6 Celaurthor

Celaurthor
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Kil'jaeden
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Windwalker 2/0/0/2/0/2/1
  • 2v2: 766
  • 3v3: 1666
  • RBG: 1793

Posted 23 October 2014 - 04:48 PM

I think glyph of detoxifying will have its place against certain setups. Having 2 dispels for when your team goes for burst and the other team tries to peel and against ele shamans.

#7 Mendicant

Mendicant
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Destromath
  • Rampage

Posted 23 October 2014 - 04:58 PM

[quote name='Celaurthor' timestamp='1414082938' post='4241131']
I think glyph of detoxifying will have its place against certain setups. Having 2 dispels for when your team goes for burst and the other team tries to peel and against ele shamans.
[/quote]

:/

I know it sounds like it but after those 2 charges are up (Which will probably be within the first 30 seconds) a 12s CD dispel sounds horrid!

Remember, fears and other such CC break extremely fast now so dispels might not need to happen as often!

It could be good, or even required VS some comps but ATM a 12s CD dispel sounds disgusting :(

#8 Celaurthor

Celaurthor
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Kil'jaeden
  • Bloodlust

Posted 24 October 2014 - 06:01 AM

[quote name='Lethargicx' timestamp='1414083499' post='4241134']
:/

I know it sounds like it but after those 2 charges are up (Which will probably be within the first 30 seconds) a 12s CD dispel sounds horrid!

Remember, fears and other such CC break extremely fast now so dispels might not need to happen as often!

It could be good, or even required VS some comps but ATM a 12s CD dispel sounds disgusting :(
[/quote]True but against like mages having a dispel for 2 8 second polys by the time drs are up your dispels should be ready.

#9 Celaurthor

Celaurthor
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Kil'jaeden
  • Bloodlust

Posted 24 October 2014 - 06:16 AM

Really its gonna come down to the meta game, but having the option is nice.

#10 Regent

Regent
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Mistweaver 0/0/2/2/0/2/.
  • 2v2: 2318
  • 3v3: 2622
  • 5v5: 2528

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:26 AM

[quote name='Marshmellow' timestamp='1414016414' post='4240129']
I think the reduced GCD on soothing mists is enough to get surging mists and enveloping mists off without being kicked, honorbuddy affects everything that casts not just monks

only thing I dont like about mw is that uplift is actually decent in arena now, but the cast time makes it so awful, same in pve too
[/quote]

MW will be affected by it much more, considering they have zero instant casts, while almost all the other healers still have "actual" instant.

In theory, the .5 seconds it takes to get off sooth+sm isn't that bad, and with haste it could be considered "un-interruptable", but we all know that bots exists, and people will use it, and now your "instant" heal is a free lockout...every time.

I get that things are "different" at level 100. Things like hp/damage scaling. Mobility, new talents. But it won't change the blatantly obvious faults, unless those faults are covered by something else being incredibly broken.

Or, maybe I just can't imagine a WoW without retarded burst and short TTD.

Just because something "works" or "is viable" doesn't mean that it should exist. Orbs were a pretty good example of this. Mistweavers at their core, are very clunky, and clearly (from a design standpoint) not suited for small scale PvP. I do, however, think that they are one of the most enjoyable RBG specs I have ever played.

We will see how they are in a few weeks time when the expansion comes out, but I am almost entirely sure that unless something changes between now and then, MW will once again be a "one trick pony" and only work in very niche comps.

Edited by Regent, 24 October 2014 - 08:33 AM.

#11 Shridevi

Shridevi
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Bleeding Hollow
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Mistweaver 1/0/2/2/0/1
  • 2v2: 1847
  • 3v3: 2218
  • 5v5: 1611
  • RBG: 2028

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:50 PM

I like your perspective on lvl 100 MWs and how you list some of the options. I'll level mine but I'm not really sure what to do after. The class just feels so bare. Even if it was buffed it would still have the same 4 spells and it would be mindless gameplay. I guess one could argue that orb botters played that way anyway, but personally I was always doing 1000 things at once with old MW.

When I play my resto shaman there are so many approaches to accomplish your goal. Different talents, grounding, tremor, more instant spells, snares, roots, purge, shear. Why did Blizz remove disable from monks but on my rsham I get a free aoe snare totem that autoticks? Why do druids and pallies get a versatility buff, and WWs have 3 buffs, but MWs get nothing? Why do we not have dispel protection if we need to rely even more on hots to stay alive? It makes no sense. If I have any downtime on my rsham I can purge, on MW I just sit there or risk getting locked out with a nerfed jade lightning. Really, you can't generate soothing chi, dps, or do anything in MW downtime, which I presume won't exist anyway since we'll always be trained. It's just a shit class, maybe good for rbgs, but even then we'd get 1-shot.

Why is life cocoon on 55 seconds? It's seriously fucking stupid. Decreasing the CD on our most mongo spell doesn't improve the gameplay. I'd much rather they bring back dematerialize, it would be less mongo than that. We'll be cocooning ourselves 90% of the time anyway, same with nimble brew.

#12 Mendicant

Mendicant
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Destromath
  • Rampage

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:55 PM

[quote name='Shridevi' timestamp='1414180202' post='4242262']
I like your perspective on lvl 100 MWs and how you list some of the options. I'll level mine but I'm not really sure what to do after. The class just feels so bare. Even if it was buffed it would still have the same 4 spells and it would be mindless gameplay. I guess one could argue that orb botters played that way anyway, but personally I was always doing 1000 things at once with old MW.

When I play my resto shaman there are so many approaches to accomplish your goal. Different talents, grounding, tremor, more instant spells, snares, roots, purge, shear. Why did Blizz remove disable from monks but on my rsham I get a free aoe snare totem that autoticks? Why do druids and pallies get a versatility buff, and WWs have 3 buffs, but MWs get nothing? Why do we not have dispel protection if we need to rely even more on hots to stay alive? It makes no sense. If I have any downtime on my rsham I can purge, on MW I just sit there or risk getting locked out with a nerfed jade lightning. Really, you can't generate soothing chi, dps, or do anything in MW downtime, which I presume won't exist anyway since we'll always be trained. It's just a shit class, maybe good for rbgs, but even then we'd get 1-shot.

Why is life cocoon on 55 seconds? It's seriously fucking stupid. Decreasing the CD on our most mongo spell doesn't improve the gameplay. I'd much rather they bring back dematerialize, it would be less mongo than that. We'll be cocooning ourselves 90% of the time anyway, same with nimble brew.
[/quote]

Pretty much.

[url="http://www.twitch.tv/mendithemw/c/5246114"]http://www.twitch.tv...themw/c/5246114[/url]

Here's a great example of how disable could be used in so many different ways.

I make the joke every time I queue "WOW WHAT COMPELLING GAMEPLAY"

I'm sticking with it hoping I find another comp that I have a ton of fun with and I'm trying to stick with it, but worse comes to worse I got glad as WW so I'll just reroll specs.

I love your points, thanks Shrii!

Edited by Lethargicx, 24 October 2014 - 07:56 PM.

#13 Primius

Primius
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Mistweaver 1/0/2/0/0/1
  • 2v2: 2039
  • 3v3: 2519
  • 5v5: 1150
  • RBG: 959

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:50 PM

[quote name='Lethargicx' timestamp='1414016238' post='4240126']
All I've seen is people complain 24/7 about how bad MW is.

It's still prepatch, at 100 we have a good amount of tools on hand, we just have to play shaman pillar and rely on partners. The only issue I see is rogues, but even then damage is so retarded right now I couldn't care less. If mana turns out to matter my opinion will change, but ATM I'm pretty ok.
[/quote]

Mendi are you in beta? I thought you were not?

Live and Beta are two completely different animals.

MW are t1 on live compared to how they are at 100 in beta. Which is complete shit.

What Shrii said is 100% accurate.

In beta I can't even use Life Cocoon on anyone on my team. If I use Life Cocoon on anyone I am a free kill target. Kitty Cleave, TSG, Vanguards, Rogue/Ret, Rogue/DK, Turbo, Fury Turbo all take a massive dump on MW within 60-90sec of every match.

It's so bad that it's near impossible to find partners to wargame with as MW in beta unless you have ready made teammates already. Thank God for skirmishes but you can't get a feel for how bad the spec is because most of the people you are teamed up with in skirmishes are awful.

From my perspective no class is perfect and every class has things that can be tweaked and improved to make game play better. The problem IMO with MW in beta is the lack of choice (which was a problem in MoP but not to this degree), and the inability to heal under pressure.

With Chi-Generation greatly slowed down at 100 Enveloping Mist having zero dispel protection is a major issue.
The fact that our other HoTs heal for virtually nothing at 100 is another major issue. Renewing Mist heals for 550 at 100, and Zen Sphere heals for 600. That is only about 50 more then they heal for at 90 on live.....??? WTF

You go into a CC and it's game over. You have no ability to pick someone up quickly coming out of CC because you have no instants and no utility to save anyone. Mastery is 100% garbage in beta and with no Glyph of Enduring Spheres it's just a complete shit show.

You might get 1.5% of your healing from Mastery in a 5min 3v3 game.

I mean I don't like being overly negative because I did love the spec but it's shit atm at 100. Lvl 90 is a pure shit show but it's fooling people into thinking there is light at the end of the tunnel...

Sorry the only thing at the end of the tunnel is the melee train coming to slam a big cock up your anus.

Edited by Primius, 24 October 2014 - 09:00 PM.

#14 Mendicant

Mendicant
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Destromath
  • Rampage

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:54 PM

[quote name='Primius' timestamp='1414183843' post='4242364']
Mendi are you in beta? I thought you were not?

Live and Beta are two completely different animals.

MW are t1 on live compared to how they are at 100 in beta.
[/quote]

I'm not. And as I've said. This is all a template. Having a 20s instant port and a short Life Cocoon CD doesn't sound too bad, but I'm not 100% sure. A lot of small tweaks will be added before 100, I mean it'll take me maybe 2 days of quing to form another opinion on how MW is.

Currently, MW is the worst healer in PvE so I'm expecting a raw healing buff ;)

#15 Primius

Primius
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Mistweaver 1/0/2/0/0/1
  • 2v2: 2039
  • 3v3: 2519
  • 5v5: 1150
  • RBG: 959

Posted 24 October 2014 - 09:05 PM

[quote name='Lethargicx' timestamp='1414184080' post='4242370']
I'm not. And as I've said. This is all a template. Having a 20s instant port and a short Life Cocoon CD doesn't sound too bad, but I'm not 100% sure. A lot of small tweaks will be added before 100, I mean it'll take me maybe 2 days of quing to form another opinion on how MW is.

Currently, MW is the worst healer in PvE so I'm expecting a raw healing buff ;)
[/quote]

We actually heal against casters and melee/casters decently in beta. We are still the worst of all the healers but we can do well against those set ups.

It's when you go up against double melee where it all breaks down. Melee mobility is absurd at 100. They don't give a shit about your 20sec port. They train you till you are dead and it doesn't take long.

With reduced CC across the board that means peels are reduced as well.

MW can't even function if a rogue is on the other team. You can literally do nothing, and every rogue team in beta goes for the MW because they know we can't do anything once they are on us.

EDIT: Oh and your guide is very pretty :duckers:

Edited by Primius, 24 October 2014 - 09:07 PM.

#16 Mendicant

Mendicant
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Destromath
  • Rampage

Posted 24 October 2014 - 10:08 PM

Eh.

RLMonk

I have hopes for it.

Pgood peels + Ability to sap off DoTs so fears stick.

Edited by Lethargicx, 24 October 2014 - 10:08 PM.

#17 Splotch

Splotch
  • Members

Posted 25 October 2014 - 01:38 AM

Haste over crit? Thats completely the opposite of PvE, why are you saying Haste? Just wondering, I know you said you weren't entirely 100% sure.

#18 Splotch

Splotch
  • Members

Posted 25 October 2014 - 01:41 AM

Multistrike>Crit>Versitality>haste>mastery is what the pve guys are saying anyway.

#19 Ysteria

Ysteria
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Dun Modr
  • Cruelty / Crueldad
  • Talents: Restoration 0/1/2/0/0/2/1
  • 2v2: 671
  • 3v3: 1826
  • LocationSpain

Posted 25 October 2014 - 03:30 PM

A mistweaver guide made by mendi!! :wub:

The tags... :rolleyes:

#20 Panzerhenk

Panzerhenk
  • Junkies
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • EU-Ravencrest
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Mistweaver 1/1/2/2/0/2/2
  • 2v2: 1575
  • 5v5: 1148

Posted 25 October 2014 - 04:45 PM

Well done sir
Havent had a carb since 2004

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wod, monk, mw, mistweaver, nerf hunters, nerf mages, mendi, guide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<