6.1: Gforce's Guide to Protection

• Please log in to reply
290 replies to this topic

#61 Cyclonus

Cyclonus
  • Members

Posted 18 November 2014 - 06:18 AM

Hey, Thanks for linking my blog :)

I started it to try to generate hype for the stance and align some of the more common misconceptions that were popping up. People had a lot of trouble believing it would be competitive from a PVE standpoint ( top dps in both midwinter and method in the live raid was a glad ). And the obvious info had to be determined, like those breakpoints. Getting the 330 haste just gets you an extra ability in your shield charge. It's a large damage bonus.

The scaling of those numbers was generated assuming you were using Heavy Rep, I'd assume a Sudden Death build would be the same since you're going to have huge single hits either way. So this way multistrike benefits a bit better when it multi's off of huge shield slams.

#62 Speedymart

Speedymart
  • Junkies
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Fury 2/0/1/1/0/0/2
  • 3v3: 2168
  • RBG: 576

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:46 AM

Hey, Thanks for linking my blog :)

I started it to try to generate hype for the stance and align some of the more common misconceptions that were popping up. People had a lot of trouble believing it would be competitive from a PVE standpoint ( top dps in both midwinter and method in the live raid was a glad ). And the obvious info had to be determined, like those breakpoints. Getting the 330 haste just gets you an extra ability in your shield charge. It's a large damage bonus.

The scaling of those numbers was generated assuming you were using Heavy Rep, I'd assume a Sudden Death build would be the same since you're going to have huge single hits either way. So this way multistrike benefits a bit better when it multi's off of huge shield slams.

Thanks for taking the time to actually do the math on the stat weights, I'll link your blog as a source in the OP for those who need more PvE centered info on the spec
Posted Image

#63 Drevi

Drevi
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Ragnaros
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Fury 1/0/1/0/1/1/0
  • 2v2: 2167
  • 3v3: 1720
  • RBG: 1754

Posted 18 November 2014 - 06:07 PM

I guess pvp statweight is crit>vers>multi>mastery>haste (with crit closer in value to the others), right?

#64 Speedymart

Speedymart
  • Junkies
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn

Posted 18 November 2014 - 06:21 PM

I guess pvp statweight is crit>vers>multi>mastery>haste (with crit closer in value to the others), right?

No. Versatility scales like complete dogshit to even be worth considering. I nearly cried when I saw they changed the on-use trinket from STR to vers.

Bonus Armor > STR > 330 Haste Breakpoint > Crit > Multi > Mastery > Vers > Haste

If you're thinking of the damage reduction it gives, don't. You're prot, you're not going to die unless you're up against wizards which don't even exist right now.

Edited by Speedymart, 18 November 2014 - 06:22 PM.

Posted Image

#65 Korzul

Korzul
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Doomhammer
  • Blackout
  • Talents: Restoration 2/2/0/2/0/2/2
  • 2v2: 1533
  • 3v3: 2505
  • RBG: 1327

Posted 18 November 2014 - 06:27 PM

No. Versatility scales like complete dogshit to even be worth considering

Explain, it's 130 rating for 1% damage. You get 0.5% damage reduction from it. You have such low versatility compared to every other stat that it's artificially boosted stat weight wise until it gets closer too the others.

It also shits all over crit and multistrike for sustained damage in pvp.

Edited by Korzul, 18 November 2014 - 06:27 PM.

#66 Drevi

Drevi
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Ragnaros
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Fury 1/0/1/0/1/1/0
  • 2v2: 2167
  • 3v3: 1720
  • RBG: 1754

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:47 PM

No. Versatility scales like complete dogshit to even be worth considering. I nearly cried when I saw they changed the on-use trinket from STR to vers.

Bonus Armor > STR > 330 Haste Breakpoint > Crit > Multi > Mastery > Vers > Haste

If you're thinking of the damage reduction it gives, don't. You're prot, you're not going to die unless you're up against wizards which don't even exist right now.

I'm kind of confused. It's not first the time I heard of poor scaling, but so far the few pieces I got with it seem to give a nice %, so whats the deal, too much diminishing returns ?

My reasoning was that if for pve (according to the former stat weights) it's so close under mastery/armor value, then in pvp the added damage reduction bonus will push it just above them.

I miss Veevs detailed guides about this kind of things.

#67 Speedymart

Speedymart
  • Junkies
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:59 PM

Its just gut feeling mainly from the couple of blue posts saying it wouldn't be practical to stack it and the very small difference the on-use trinket makes.

My reason is that as prot the damage reduction we get isn't worth any level of damage loss, as we are prot and they wouldn't go on us. If we are being focused then its worth it.

Wouldn't you rather global people faster as well? I sure do

Edited by Speedymart, 19 November 2014 - 02:36 AM.

Posted Image

#68 Theslash

Theslash
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Gilneas
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Assassination

Posted 20 November 2014 - 02:11 PM

Well Gforce, you were totally right about Gladiator stance.

Went up against Revo's ATC about 5ish times and go absolutely demolished - Shield slams for 55k that also dispell a HoT are completely absurd.

I'm expecting to see a LOT of Gladiator TSG, Menstrual Cleave, ATC, and even WLD.
Serennia stole my sister

#69 ~Invictus

~Invictus
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Crushridge
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Talents:

Posted 21 November 2014 - 03:14 AM

I call it proper retribution.
Tried Gladstance myself after a frustrating set of bgs against an Hunter party and some BoS Rogues + some arenas.
I'm not sure I want to go back to Arms, wasn't that I feel the playstyle more compelling.

#70 Ezyo1000

Ezyo1000
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Fury 0/1/1/1/1/2
  • 2v2: 1825
  • 3v3: 2333

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:00 AM

^^
Thats what happens when you play a spec that is actually completely and has something that ties the spec together that can also feel compelling even without t45 talents taken.

Blizz was hell bound on making glad stance a thing that they destroyed the core dps specs to do it.

Its a shame really how much more you can do as glad and how useless arms and fury feel atm. hopefully they dont leave them this terrible

#71 irubuwrongtime

irubuwrongtime
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Arms 1/0/2/2/1/0/0
  • 2v2: 1511
  • 3v3: 2705

Posted 21 November 2014 - 06:29 PM

Hey guys~ I have some glad stance prot footage of my own after I finally finish gearing up. Now I know why glad stance is the next big thing... I mean I just have more skills to use as a prot and the burst set up is actually more dynamic compared to arms/fury which makes it more fun. RIP arms/fury...

http://www.twitch.tv...gtime/c/5540451

http://www.twitch.tv...gtime/c/5540477

http://www.twitch.tv...gtime/c/5540492

I'm planning to stream a lot of arena matches and other pvp stuff once the season starts, so stay tuned and I hope you guys enjoy the video.

#72 DethSlayr

DethSlayr
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Ghostlands
  • Retaliation
  • Talents: Protection 0/1/1/1/1/2
  • RBG: 1697

Posted 22 November 2014 - 04:08 AM

Having some trouble with the banner macro.
It works fine if I'm not doing anything, but in bgs or arenas it will cast the flag, but not intervene to it.
I'd assume this has something to do with the noraid/noparty aspect? If i remove that will it stick work properly or no?

just level a rogue

they are the DK S5 of S11

Computer Parts/Specs

#73 Covlol

Covlol
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Arms 0/0/1/0/0/2/0
  • 2v2: 2263
  • 3v3: 2361
  • RBG: 1831

Posted 22 November 2014 - 05:53 AM

It works fine if I'm not doing anything, but in bgs or arenas it will cast the flag, but not intervene to it.
I'd assume this has something to do with the noraid/noparty aspect? If i remove that will it stick work properly or no?

Also wondering this.
Posted Image
Lvl 1 Dk Legend Covlol

#74 Speedymart

Speedymart
  • Junkies
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn

Posted 23 November 2014 - 01:42 AM

It seems you can't intervene banner whatsoever in a BG, but it still works in arena if I'm not mistaken. I know for a fact its broken in bgs though.

I've tried simply casting the banner and intervening to it normally and it just doesn't work either. The noraid and noparty is to prevent intervening to a party member instead of the banner, as the banner isn't considered part of the party or raid. If it was, it wouldn't work outside in the world either.

I'll toy with it later when I get home.

Edited by Speedymart, 23 November 2014 - 01:46 AM.

Posted Image

#75 irubuwrongtime

irubuwrongtime
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 23 November 2014 - 02:11 AM

It seems you can't intervene banner whatsoever in a BG, but it still works in arena if I'm not mistaken. I know for a fact its broken in bgs though.

I've tried simply casting the banner and intervening to it normally and it just doesn't work either. The noraid and noparty is to prevent intervening to a party member instead of the banner, as the banner isn't considered part of the party or raid. If it was, it wouldn't work outside in the world either.

I'll toy with it later when I get home.

Yeah I think this is the exact case. Fix it Blizzard!

But then again w/o a root break, it doesn't serve much purpose anyways. I'd rather save safeguard for my teammate at the right moment.
Demo shout + Safeguard every one minute is just too good of a utility that we don't have as arms or fury.

Edited by irubuwrongtime, 23 November 2014 - 02:11 AM.

#76 Covlol

Covlol
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Arms 0/0/1/0/0/2/0
  • 2v2: 2263
  • 3v3: 2361
  • RBG: 1831

Posted 23 November 2014 - 02:33 AM

Demo shout only effects you.
Posted Image
Lvl 1 Dk Legend Covlol

#77 Speedymart

Speedymart
  • Junkies
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn

Posted 23 November 2014 - 02:36 AM

Demo shout puts a buff on you as well as everyone it hits. You only take the reduced damage from the players with the debuff on them.

It also breaks stealth.

---Update on the intervene macro

I tested it by myself, in a party, in a raid, as well as in an arena. They all work. The only place that banner intervene doesn't work in is BGs.

Tweet Holinka about it. Might get fixed, but I doubt it.

Edited by Speedymart, 23 November 2014 - 02:40 AM.

Posted Image

#78 irubuwrongtime

irubuwrongtime
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 23 November 2014 - 03:12 AM

aww... ㅠㅜ I saw it puts the debuff on enemy name plates and I thought it works for the whole team... that sux :( it was too good to be true.

#79 Selica

Selica
  • Members

Posted 24 November 2014 - 02:03 AM

That's why you play ATC with a BM hunter using MS pet. I'm excited for prot pvp.

i know everyone else hated playin against it, but i loved ATC!!

lookin forward to it
r.i.p.
nausica :warrior:
roverr :warrior:

#80 Crackmeyer

Crackmeyer
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Mal'Ganis
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Elemental 0/1/0/0/0/0/.
  • 2v2: 1416

Posted 24 November 2014 - 02:54 AM

Avatar - Bloodbath - Bladestorm ?

from 1on1 and 3v3 arena point of view . what do you guys think is the best?

I mean Bladestorm breaks roots and its also nice to use when your SS and Revenge are on CD . Its also on a short 1min cd
Bloodbath 1min CD aswell and decent dmg boost i think but is it really that much dmg? 30% of my dmg as a beed effect or just 30% of 1 SS as bleed? i dunno

Avatar is a juicy 20% dmg boost AND breaks roots like Bladestorm does. BUT its on a 3min CD .. this is a looooot imo

seems like these 3 talents make the most difference between glad warriors huh?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<