• Gnomeclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Protection 0/0/2/0/0/1/0
  • 2v2: 2395
  • 3v3: 2426
  • RBG: 1803

Posted 09 February 2015 - 07:19 PM

im using unyielding strikes. seems VERY strong combined with glyph of hindering, and im pretty sure anger management is bugged with unyielding strikes. seems like every heroic strike is 1 sec off cds even when its reduced by the talent. Thoughts?

#242 irubuwrongtime

irubuwrongtime
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Arms 1/0/2/2/1/0/0
  • 2v2: 1511
  • 3v3: 2705

Posted 09 February 2015 - 07:32 PM

im using unyielding strikes. seems VERY strong combined with glyph of hindering, and im pretty sure anger management is bugged with unyielding strikes. seems like every heroic strike is 1 sec off cds even when its reduced by the talent. Thoughts?

Is this true? If so, this could be hella op. 1 sec off major cds for each spammable heroic strikes and other abilities. You can have 20 sec cd shockwave and 30~40 sec cd blood bath, 1 min avatar, and so on.

Memphis is the only prot above glad rating as far as I know and he doesn't stream so I can't say much but prot can actually be glad viable in cleave oriented comps like ATC or TSG/Turbo as good as arms/fury.

Can someone else try it out and confirm? I would if I can but at work atm :(

#243 GrandalMurmillo

GrandalMurmillo
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Protection 0/0/2/0/0/1/0
  • 2v2: 2395
  • 3v3: 2426
  • RBG: 1803

Posted 09 February 2015 - 07:46 PM

Is this true? If so, this could be hella op. 1 sec off major cds for each spammable heroic strikes and other abilities. You can have 20 sec cd shockwave and 30~40 sec cd blood bath, 1 min avatar, and so on.

Memphis is the only prot above glad rating as far as I know and he doesn't stream so I can't say much but prot can actually be glad viable in cleave oriented comps like ATC or TSG/Turbo as good as arms/fury.

Can someone else try it out and confirm? I would if I can but at work atm :(

im mainly playing Stormbolt, and i have to watch for DR every time i use it, it often goes down to like 17ish seconds ( base is 30 )

my sustained damage rivals fury, and the constant spam of slows from hindering is VERY usefull for druids/rogue spammings shift and burst of speed.

i can sustain 22k dps on the pvp dummy in garrison in D stance with heroic strike on #3 damage done.

i can see the random burst coming handy from sudden death, but i care more for the sustained damage, and constant slow for rogue/druids.

btw memphis if you read this start streaming XD

#244 irubuwrongtime

irubuwrongtime
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 09 February 2015 - 08:00 PM

im mainly playing Stormbolt, and i have to watch for DR every time i use it, it often goes down to like 17ish seconds ( base is 30 )

my sustained damage rivals fury, and the constant spam of slows from hindering is VERY usefull for druids/rogue spammings shift and burst of speed.

i can sustain 22k dps on the pvp dummy in garrison in D stance with heroic strike on #3 damage done.

i can see the random burst coming handy from sudden death, but i care more for the sustained damage, and constant slow for rogue/druids.

btw memphis if you read this start streaming XD

Good good. Nice find! + Rep.

I haven't tried prot pvp after the dispel nerf for glad stance but I'll see if I can gear up my alt to prot spec and run some 3s when I hit lvl 100. I don't wanna have to farm all the prot gears for my main now that I have full gears as arms/fury.

#245 Speedymart

Speedymart
  • Junkies
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Fury 2/0/1/1/0/0/2
  • 3v3: 2168
  • RBG: 576

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:46 AM

If unyielding is giving 1sec off per heroic strike then that is most certinely bugged and could very well push it over sudden death

But again this depends on what comp you're running into, as warrior have absolutely atrocious mobility and the stacks will constantly fall off, while the RRPM procs from sudden death will cause them to proc asoon as you actually can smack something again

even without unyielding i have roughly 40 second bloodbaths and 18 second stormbolts quite frequently and have to wach my own drs more often then not making it almost to the point where we can yolo stun like hunters can trap

Edited by Speedymart, 10 February 2015 - 03:47 AM.

Posted Image

#246 irubuwrongtime

irubuwrongtime
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 10 February 2015 - 05:15 PM

If unyielding is giving 1sec off per heroic strike then that is most certinely bugged and could very well push it over sudden death

But again this depends on what comp you're running into, as warrior have absolutely atrocious mobility and the stacks will constantly fall off, while the RRPM procs from sudden death will cause them to proc asoon as you actually can smack something again

even without unyielding i have roughly 40 second bloodbaths and 18 second stormbolts quite frequently and have to wach my own drs more often then not making it almost to the point where we can yolo stun like hunters can trap

So with unyielding, you can have 20 sec aoe stun and a minute avatar already... I think that's huge.

#247 Ex0cet

Ex0cet
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • EU-Archimonde
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Talents: Protection 1/0/1/1/2/1/0
  • 2v2: 1790
  • 3v3: 1598
  • 5v5: 1043
  • RBG: 1788

Posted 17 February 2015 - 11:13 AM

Just a litle return, Don't have time to play as I would but for the moment Feral + war prot comp works well. In 3v3 I play with a frost dk and a Rsham, it's nice too (need to see at higher rate but I think it can be viable).

But more important these teams composition are really fun to play, if the healer is a disci priest or rsham he will hurt hard

#248 Speedymart

Speedymart
  • Junkies
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:41 PM

Updated to 6.1.

Mainly talent changes due to avatar buff and the unyielding strikes discovery

Edited by Speedymart, 20 February 2015 - 06:43 PM.

Posted Image

#249 Kabi

Kabi
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Burning Blade
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Protection 1/0/0/2/2/1/2
  • 2v2: 1431
  • 3v3: 1556
  • 5v5: 384
  • RBG: 1755

Posted 21 February 2015 - 06:41 AM

Hey I have some questions about prot PVP.

1) You say BA = STR, but STR gets the 5% buff from stat buff, so that means it gives more damage, right?

2) I thought tank stance take more damage now?

3) Is anger management really increasing the damage more than gladiator stance and shield charge? I'm going to miss the shield charge :(

4) My plan is to use hand+Should for set bonus, since chest and legs gives mastery/versatility and the most of it. Plus those are the slots with the lowest secondary stat amount.

5) I'm thinking about using PVE trinkets, since we take so little damage, any recomendation? I'm aiming at Hans trinket on heroic, since its a lot of armor on demand, could even combo it with Pol's trinket which is mastery on demand and passive armor.

6) I dunno why you say damage is okay only, I have always been pulling crazy amounts of damage, at least using gladiator stance. Charge into trinket+shield charge+bloodbath -> SS and Revenge hits hard.

7) Is execute still the better option with this incoming nerf? SS and Revenge got buffed to the point that they are quite close to execute in damage, and with Shield charge up, they seem to do more.

EDIT: 8) I just heard that 680+ items of PVE get downscaled to 680, I'm unsure if this is true, but if so, would you still use armor ring over a 690 pvp one?

#250 Speedymart

Speedymart
  • Junkies
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn

Posted 21 February 2015 - 07:33 AM

Hey I have some questions about prot PVP.

1) You say BA = STR, but STR gets the 5% buff from stat buff, so that means it gives more damage, right?

2) I thought tank stance take more damage now?

3) Is anger management really increasing the damage more than gladiator stance and shield charge? I'm going to miss the shield charge :(

4) My plan is to use hand+Should for set bonus, since chest and legs gives mastery/versatility and the most of it. Plus those are the slots with the lowest secondary stat amount.

5) I'm thinking about using PVE trinkets, since we take so little damage, any recomendation? I'm aiming at Hans trinket on heroic, since its a lot of armor on demand, could even combo it with Pol's trinket which is mastery on demand and passive armor.

6) I dunno why you say damage is okay only, I have always been pulling crazy amounts of damage, at least using gladiator stance. Charge into trinket+shield charge+bloodbath -> SS and Revenge hits hard.

7) Is execute still the better option with this incoming nerf? SS and Revenge got buffed to the point that they are quite close to execute in damage, and with Shield charge up, they seem to do more.

EDIT: 8) I just heard that 680+ items of PVE get downscaled to 680, I'm unsure if this is true, but if so, would you still use armor ring over a 690 pvp one?

1. I mention that in the OP. It does give more damage, though very slightly, but it comes at the loss of the physical damage reduction that bonus armor gives. Honestly there isn't a single piece of gear where you need to sacrifice STR for BA anyway except ring, so it really doesn't matter stat allocation wise.

2. They reverted the big (50%) increase damage to tanks in PvP due to them instantly dieing as FCs in RBGs. I'm told there is a 20% damage increase, which effectively counters defensive stance but you still have the strong defensives.

3. Anger Management is absolutely amazing. Gladiator stance isn't viable not because of the lack of dispell, regardless.

4. Go for it.

5. No. PvP trinkets are getting buffed substainaly in 6.1. The 15% damage reduction from them is also absolutely nessecary.

6. Compared to the damage we did day one of the season, it's ok.

7. Execute is still our hardest ability. SD will provide more burst, but unyielding will provide very short avatar and stormbolt CDs, which can easily win games. Up to you.

8. Use the bonus armor ring even if it's 680. Remember, BA = STR. The ~20 str you lose from not using the 690 ring is more then made up for.

Edited by Speedymart, 21 February 2015 - 07:38 AM.

Posted Image

#251 domzae

domzae
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Dath'Remar
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Shadow 1/1/0/1/0/2/0
  • 2v2: 2119
  • 3v3: 2254
  • RBG: 1150
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 21 February 2015 - 08:53 AM

8. Use the bonus armor ring even if it's 680. Remember, BA = STR. The ~20 str you lose from not using the 690 ring is more then made up for.

Just wanted to mention that I'm pretty sure in 6.1 all PvE gear gets scaled down to 680 rather than 690, so you don't even need to raid to get the higher rings :)
Shadow.Protection.Enhance

#252 Kabi

Kabi
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Burning Blade
  • Vindication

Posted 21 February 2015 - 09:52 AM

2. They reverted the big (50%) increase damage to tanks in PvP due to them instantly dieing as FCs in RBGs. I'm told there is a 20% damage increase, which effectively counters defensive stance but you still have the strong defensives.

3. Anger Management is absolutely amazing. Gladiator stance isn't viable not because of the lack of dispell, regardless.

5. No. PvP trinkets are getting buffed substainaly in 6.1. The 15% damage reduction from them is also absolutely nessecary.

2) They are increasing our improved defense stance by 5%! so now we will have 25% reduction!

3) I guess what you tried to say is that dispell and faster CDs makes defensive stance worth the lose in damage?

5) Ah, yes I just checked, they buff is quite big, the reduction is going up by 5% which is a big deal. Though as I (sadly) play horde atm, which trinket would you recommend primarly? I assume the on use, since it gives quite a big amount of STR, and a 2k versatility on use is good enough.
I can still see PVE trinkets giving quite more damage, but that reduction is just too good to pass on, and now the damage doesn't get punished as much.

8) Bonus armor 690 items vs 680 from PVE, any way you think you would play them over the PVP ones? Like any Master/Versatility + Armor drop Ring or Cloak (neck is mastery already, still loses to a socketed 680).

And a question about stats: You put versatility above everything else, even though damage wise I think mastery is the one that gives the most? Do you still go for versatility stack even on enchants? Would you run Versatility over mastery even though mastery gives you a bit more damage? Aren't you tanky enough to give priority to versatility?

#253 Speedymart

Speedymart
  • Junkies
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn

Posted 22 February 2015 - 02:29 AM

2) They are increasing our improved defense stance by 5%! so now we will have 25% reduction!

3) I guess what you tried to say is that dispell and faster CDs makes defensive stance worth the lose in damage?

5) Ah, yes I just checked, they buff is quite big, the reduction is going up by 5% which is a big deal. Though as I (sadly) play horde atm, which trinket would you recommend primarly? I assume the on use, since it gives quite a big amount of STR, and a 2k versatility on use is good enough.
I can still see PVE trinkets giving quite more damage, but that reduction is just too good to pass on, and now the damage doesn't get punished as much.

8) Bonus armor 690 items vs 680 from PVE, any way you think you would play them over the PVP ones? Like any Master/Versatility + Armor drop Ring or Cloak (neck is mastery already, still loses to a socketed 680).

And a question about stats: You put versatility above everything else, even though damage wise I think mastery is the one that gives the most? Do you still go for versatility stack even on enchants? Would you run Versatility over mastery even though mastery gives you a bit more damage? Aren't you tanky enough to give priority to versatility?

It's 5% more armor, not damage reduction

Dispell is absolutely key. The spec isn't viable without it.

Do not replace any PvP items that have BA on it. The itemization you would get from swapping out the secondary stat isn't worth the stat loss.

I honestly ended up going full crit towards the end of the season, but on paper versa is still the best damage increasing stat. People will still go you frequently even if you're prot. Caster cleaves, though rare, will always train you

Edited by Speedymart, 22 February 2015 - 02:29 AM.

Posted Image

#254 Kabi

Kabi
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Burning Blade
  • Vindication

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:15 PM

Is there any good comp for RBG that could use protection warrior?

#255 Colours

Colours
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Auchindoun
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Arms 0/0/2/0/1/2/0
  • 2v2: 2749
  • 3v3: 2455
  • 5v5: 1963
  • RBG: 1557

Posted 23 February 2015 - 03:35 PM

rdruid/war

don't play this, terrible combo. currently hard countered by every hunter and rogue combo, which is 80% of what queues. also countered by shaman/warr and monk/warr. your best bet is to get a shaman or monk, priests are also very good.

#256 korser

korser
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Bronzebeard
  • Cyclone
  • Talents: Protection 1/0/0/1/2/2/2
  • 2v2: 1648

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:56 PM

Hi Gforce. First of all, great guide! I'm so glad prot warrior pvp is actually viable in many moments in this xpac.

I had a couple of questions about stat priority and gearing. Currently I have been going crit like you mentioned even though mastery is weighted more. How does crit compare to mastery?

Finally, I have been playing 2s with my Mistweaver friend and we seem to be in a rut. I know we both have much to improve on, but is prot warrior/MW a combo we should even bother with?

#257 Speedymart

Speedymart
  • Junkies
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:59 PM

Hi Gforce. First of all, great guide! I'm so glad prot warrior pvp is actually viable in many moments in this xpac.

I had a couple of questions about stat priority and gearing. Currently I have been going crit like you mentioned even though mastery is weighted more. How does crit compare to mastery?

Finally, I have been playing 2s with my Mistweaver friend and we seem to be in a rut. I know we both have much to improve on, but is prot warrior/MW a combo we should even bother with?

Mastery is just a % ap increase. It's just like versatility honestly. I went crit for the sole reason of it being a more interesting stat

Get a Rdruid/Rsham, and even then it might be kinda sketchy as you won't kill anyone until heavy dampening even as arms. Not having MS makes 2s really stressful for a warrior
Posted Image

#258 DjBenx

DjBenx
  • Jeffjones
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Arms 0/0/1/1/1/0/.
  • 2v2: 1871
  • 3v3: 2465
  • RBG: 2213

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:49 PM

is scabbard still viable
Review signature guidelines

#259 Drevi

Drevi
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Ragnaros
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Fury 1/0/1/0/1/1/0
  • 2v2: 2167
  • 3v3: 1720
  • RBG: 1754

Posted 03 March 2015 - 11:34 PM

is scabbard still viable

Not at all

#260 Messman

Messman
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Hellscream
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Protection 0/0/1/1/0/1/2
  • 2v2: 1682
  • 3v3: 1639
  • 5v5: 1625
  • RBG: 1720

Posted 05 March 2015 - 06:49 PM

@Geforce

What 3s comp are you playing? I needed to try something new and decided to try out some ATC with BM hunter and Hpal. Was quite satisfying tbh.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<