How hard is it to learn a DK

death knight

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bojangles21

Bojangles21
  • Members

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:13 PM

So I was thinking about learning a DK and I know most people say they're broke and what not so I would appreciate not getting the typical sarcastic remarks. Is it a hard to class to learn to play competitively?

#2 Forumz

Forumz
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Argent Dawn
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Talents: Shadow 2/1/1/1/./.
  • 2v2: 2728
  • 3v3: 2279
  • 5v5: 96
  • RBG: 768

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:12 PM

It's easy to start out with, the basics are simple and there aren't many intricate mechanics.

It's mostly considered hard to play against really good opponents who know how to exploit the class' fundamental weaknesses (silences and roots).
Posted Image

#3 ysnakewoo

ysnakewoo
  • Junkies
  • Trollclass_name
  • EU-Hellfire
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Frost
  • LocationBosnia and Herzegovina

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:13 PM

These are the possible problems that a new DK player really needs to get accustomed to:
- Resource system. Runic Power is the easier part, however, runes are the most difficult part, especially their management requires a lot of failed tries. Also, runes have RNG factors to them, which can be a nuisance.
- With that, often times, new DK players tend to watch their PvE rotation 90% of the time and just disregard what's going on in arena. You could have done so many things as a DK, but you were too focused on your runes, that starts to be very visible once you get to higher ratings.
- Often times, players are frustrated with the DK pet management, as it does have a buggy/retarded AI, which can frustrate you to just leave the Claw on autocast on pet and don't care about his stun, which is, of course, a bad thing to do.
- Gargoyle is currently bugged, a player can easily LoS it and not take any damage from him, another reason why people dislike DKs, is that a lot of their burst is tied into the retarded AI.
- Once you get comfortable with the class, then you can try and do some cheeky stuff, maximizing your self-heals, reapplying the aura (not sure if that still works), etc.
¯\_(⌣̯̀⌣́)_/¯

#4 Zaephyr

Zaephyr
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Haomarush
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Unholy

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:54 PM

DK probably has the highest skill-cap in the game I wouldn't bother if I were you.
"Please use an appropriate signature; thanks! www.arenajunkies.com/forum-9/announcement-3-forum-rules-2272014

#5 Synkz

Synkz
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Illidan
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Shadow 1/1/0/1/0/2/0

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:25 PM

the rune system is hard to get used to if you are coming from a different class, but it just takes a bit of playtime and you'll get comfortable with it

• Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Retribution 0/0/2/0/0/0/0
  • LocationCape Town, South Africa

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:53 PM

Quite piss to get the basics after rune management. Good pressure on switches, good use of dark sim, clever grip interrupts etc come after. To just blindly deal damage and take 2k doesn't really require much on a DK though.

E: As mentioned dk pets AI is probably the shittiest out of the lot and leads to having a pet macro baked into almost every spell and unrelenting frustration.

Edited by Sepphie, 21 October 2014 - 09:55 PM.

Posted Image

#7 Bridgey

Bridgey
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Defias Brotherhood
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Frost 1/0/2/2/0/2/2
  • 2v2: 2117
  • 3v3: 1860
  • LocationSouth West England

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:00 AM

with the removal of a few spells and what not its a bit easier to play but like any class its not really hard to "learn" you just need to play it a bit and get to grasps with the basics of the rune and runic power management.
Posted Image

#8 Bojangles21

Bojangles21
  • Members

Posted 22 October 2014 - 03:30 AM

So it seems the number one thing everyone is saying is rune management. Anyone have a link to a guide or can give me some tips on rune management? I'm playing one on the PTR and I have no idea what abilities I use and when because of all the different rune combinations.

#9 ysnakewoo

ysnakewoo
  • Junkies
  • Trollclass_name
  • EU-Hellfire
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Frost
  • LocationBosnia and Herzegovina

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:06 PM

Not sure if there is a guide for 6.0.2 DKs. You just have to sit down and learn how to and when to do it, I remember back in Cata, it used to be:
Outbreak > FS FS > SS SS (used to be NS) > 2x DC > whatever procs from DCs.
¯\_(⌣̯̀⌣́)_/¯

#10 Imbadaniel1993

Imbadaniel1993
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Rexxar
  • Reckoning / Abrechnung
  • Talents: Balance 1/2/2/1/1/1/0
  • 2v2: 2200
  • 3v3: 2168
  • RBG: 1723

Posted 29 January 2015 - 02:18 PM

eventually the most easiest class in wow, of course, with warrior.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: death, knight

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<