Photo

Warlocks in WoD

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#21 Nagrol_5582589

Nagrol_5582589
  • Members

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:00 PM

But how is the damage at lvl 100 as Affliction? Is it like in the first season of MoP when we were useless? Or can we hurt stuff?

#22 Kazoul

Kazoul
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Illidan
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Affliction 0/2/0/0/0/0
  • 2v2: 1586
  • 3v3: 2024
  • RBG: 192

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:05 PM

While fel flame, imo, is essential to Warlocks, I would actually prefer to see the return of Shadow bolt procs and Searing Pain.
I think it'd be interesting to place UA atleast partially into the fire domain, so that if you get locked on fear, you could still apply UA.
I also think they should revamp shadowflame to be more like Dragon's breath, and make it baseline for Destro in lieu of Howl of Terror.

#23 Kazoul

Kazoul
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Illidan
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Affliction 0/2/0/0/0/0
  • 2v2: 1586
  • 3v3: 2024
  • RBG: 192

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:10 PM

I love shadowflame, and it's actually been one of those things that help maintain pressure, and great utility. However, I want to see casting and procs come back across the board.
With the getting pruning going on, there needs to be some sort of give back to make this legit.

I see everyone complain about how simple WoW is nowadays, and pruning makes it even more simple. Seeing that they are not going to go back to the original talent trees, they should at least build in some of those interesting play choices we used to have using the abilities that are left after the pruning.

Warlock is one of the classes that currently has a unique feel and style of play across all 3 specs, which I appreciate, but right now the only BIG plays they're going to be capable of (Affliction) is Fear. No totem killing, no lightwell killing, just DoT and Fear.

Perhaps it's the time to see the return of Drain Mana? I'd gladly take that if they're removing everything else.

#24 Clamnesia

Clamnesia
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Fenris
  • Whirlwind
  • Talents: Discipline 0/1/1/0/1/0/2
  • 2v2: 1373
  • 3v3: 384
  • LocationUS

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:10 PM

RIP shadowflame. Never played warlock but i miss seeing the awesome animation. </3
Ya know, i was born in west philadelphia. I spent most of my days on the play ground. Usually i just be chillin, relaxin, trying to act cool by shooting some b-ball at school. But on this one, terrible, dreary, horrid day, a couple of guys that were certainly up to no good starting making trouble.. I was the first one of course to step up and fight them back. Because of this, my mom got scared and made me move in with my aunt and uncle in bel-air.

#25 Clamnesia

Clamnesia
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Fenris
  • Whirlwind
  • Talents: Discipline 0/1/1/0/1/0/2
  • 2v2: 1373
  • 3v3: 384
  • LocationUS

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:13 PM

I love shadowflame, and it's actually been one of those things that help maintain pressure, and great utility. However, I want to see casting and procs come back across the board.
With the getting pruning going on, there needs to be some sort of give back to make this legit.

I see everyone complain about how simple WoW is nowadays, and pruning makes it even more simple. Seeing that they are not going to go back to the original talent trees, they should at least build in some of those interesting play choices we used to have using the abilities that are left after the pruning.

Warlock is one of the classes that currently has a unique feel and style of play across all 3 specs, which I appreciate, but right now the only BIG plays they're going to be capable of (Affliction) is Fear. No totem killing, no lightwell killing, just DoT and Fear.

Perhaps it's the time to see the return of Drain Mana? I'd gladly take that if they're removing everything else.

Good luck. if they haven't added or brought back any old abilities by now, its not happening. Affliction is going to be just as fruitless as ever. dot dot dot, fear fear fear, reapply dots, fear fear fear another target, reapply dots, fear fear fear.. times infinity. Im not sure if malefic grasp will still be in the game, but if it is, is it even worth using if you can just fear in its place instead? Especially since fear is going to be shorter duration, is it worth channeling some grasp, just to have the possibility of cutting it short if the fear breaks early? hmmm

Edited by Clamnesia, 11 September 2014 - 08:14 PM.

Ya know, i was born in west philadelphia. I spent most of my days on the play ground. Usually i just be chillin, relaxin, trying to act cool by shooting some b-ball at school. But on this one, terrible, dreary, horrid day, a couple of guys that were certainly up to no good starting making trouble.. I was the first one of course to step up and fight them back. Because of this, my mom got scared and made me move in with my aunt and uncle in bel-air.

#26 Maleficent

Maleficent
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Blackhand
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Affliction 0/0/0/2/0/0/0
  • 2v2: 1464
  • 3v3: 2249

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:19 PM

Affliction will never see Shadowbolt return, that idea should be tossed out and will cease to ever happen. Channeled fillers are the way of the future for Affliction.

Shadowflame will never return for PvE reasons as it required you to be in melee range.

I don't want to seem like an asshole but a lot of the perks and niches that made Affliction fun will simply never happen again and we'll be doomed to being fear bots who watch mages/rogues/dk/warrs do the real damage.

#27 ajc1981

ajc1981

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:11 PM

I think warlocks will be fine imo after ppl learn to adapt. But for a fillter spell when locked out it sucks. bring bk cata playstyle :D

Edited by ajc1981, 11 September 2014 - 09:15 PM.

#28 Fakalock

Fakalock
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Demonology 0/2/0/1/0/0/0
  • 2v2: 950
  • 3v3: 2205
  • RBG: 1686
  • LocationGuthenburg, Sweden

Posted 12 September 2014 - 11:39 AM

This is so depressing to read. I've been playing Warlock sence mid vanilla (except for like 2 months in Cata when i played Disc) and more or less all the time they've been fun to play. The veriaty of spells wich you have to choose from each GCD trying to turn the game into your favor. It's been a bit like chess imo. And from what i read now thats all going away. All of those things that made the class so interesting to play is getting removed. Like some of you guys have said..... There will only be dot and fear spamming.... It will be like playing chess with only one rook... :unsure:

#29 ajc1981

ajc1981

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:16 AM

Anyone been able to test this new glyph of soul swap out on beta where it keeps our dots for 26 seconds longer? Looks promising

Edited by ajc1981, 16 September 2014 - 02:20 AM.

#30 Maleficent

Maleficent
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Blackhand
  • Rampage

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:55 AM

Doesn't matter when it costs a Soul Shard to Soul Swap. It's honestly fine to just take SS off your bars and manually casts dots.

Edit: Also, having our damage linked to Soul Shards is fucking dumb. From a design standpoint, it doesn't work like it does for embers or demonic fury. WTB 3.3.5 Affy pst.

Edited by Maleficent, 16 September 2014 - 03:09 AM.

#31 abolishedtehe

abolishedtehe
  • Aboballsack
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Elemental
  • 2v2: 1408
  • 3v3: 2917
  • 5v5: 671
  • RBG: 1741

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:45 AM

They can never balance this game so what they do instead is make something shit at the start of the season and let the underdogs cry for a bit then buff the underdogs when the next minor patch comes in...

Locks might be shit at the start of the expansion, but wait for 2-3 months until the hunters,rets,dks ect have some fun then they will eventually make them monsters again.

Edited by abolishedtehe, 16 September 2014 - 05:46 AM.

#32 ajc1981

ajc1981

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:02 PM

I still think that glyph should not be past off just yet, can understand where your coming from about the shard management and the fact it costs shards, I just think we will need unending resolve off the glyph for next patch and the only other glyph there is will be healthstone which is about 22k heal over 8 seconds. Still early days and hard to recall what's going be good and what's not.

what's drainlife talent like on beta with the glyph ?

Edited by ajc1981, 16 September 2014 - 12:04 PM.

#33 Maleficent

Maleficent
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Blackhand
  • Rampage

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:31 PM

I still think that glyph should not be past off just yet, can understand where your coming from about the shard management and the fact it costs shards, I just think we will need unending resolve off the glyph for next patch and the only other glyph there is will be healthstone which is about 22k heal over 8 seconds. Still early days and hard to recall what's going be good and what's not.

what's drainlife talent like on beta with the glyph ?

You might have a point in that, you can inhale a soul swap and save it until you want to swap a target and while it's being saved, you're still proccing Soul Shards; because it costs a Soul Shard to initially inhale the dots, not exhale them. You may be onto something.

I did a complete healing build with Drain Life talent and glyph and my self-healing was outright crazy but the prepatch BGs aren't a good measure of what it'll be like at 100; although it would be nice to in cooperate Drain Life back into the rotation. I could see MG when you want immediate damage and DL for sustained healing which could be a fun playstyle. :)

#34 ajc1981

ajc1981

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:21 AM

You might have a point in that, you can inhale a soul swap and save it until you want to swap a target and while it's being saved, you're still proccing Soul Shards; because it costs a Soul Shard to initially inhale the dots, not exhale them. You may be onto something.

Kinda, what I was thinking when I seen it.

I did a complete healing build with Drain Life talent and glyph and my self-healing was outright crazy but the prepatch BGs aren't a good measure of what it'll be like at 100; although it would be nice to in cooperate Drain Life back into the rotation. I could see MG when you want immediate damage and DL for sustained healing which could be a fun playstyle. :)

My only concern with talent and glyph of drain life is getting locked out on it more then often, and the fact we have nothing to cast bar use healthstone that needs fixed would like to see drain life off the shadow tree. It's going to hurt not having no felflame for totems just need to use pet I guess now

#35 Hackattack3

Hackattack3
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Darkspear
  • Cyclone
  • Talents: Destruction 1/2/0/1/0/0
  • 2v2: 1609
  • 3v3: 1792
  • RBG: 2050

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:47 AM

They can never balance this game so what they do instead is make something shit at the start of the season and let the underdogs cry for a bit then buff the underdogs when the next minor patch comes in...

Locks might be shit at the start of the expansion, but wait for 2-3 months until the hunters,rets,dks ect have some fun then they will eventually make them monsters again.

Because blizz did a great job toning down warriors, hunters, and mages in MOP right?

#36 AlcaMage

AlcaMage
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Nazjatar
  • Glutsturm / Emberstorm
  • Talents: Discipline 1/1/1/1/1/1/2
  • 2v2: 2106
  • 3v3: 2194
  • RBG: 576

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:19 AM

afflocks might have to use wand now for totems or damage when locked in shadow

Still thinking about using wand as a mage, but the damage is a joke (13k vs 200k something else) just to add something to do when locked

#37 Walmartshoes

Walmartshoes
  • Members

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:42 PM

This is pretty saddening to read.

I was looking forward to having the Demon Lord being the Dark Mage spec to go for as I'm enjoying it a lot in 5.4.

But as of right now, none of the Dark Mage specs look promising. I've been working with Hostinka (original, don't steal) on a few things, but he is the biggest dingus I've ever come across.
It's me baby, come kiss.

#38 Axenation

Axenation
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Twisting Nether
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents:
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:27 PM

I did about 5 hours of skirmishes yesterday as affliction. All games were 2v2 because 3v3 skirmishes a joke without having an actual team because you get stuck with retards against a set team.

Healthstone + Healstone Glyph + Dark Regen: This combination is a joke .. Blizz either needs to buff healthstone (which won't happen) or replace dark regen with something else. This used to be a nice defensive cooldown, in WoD I could only see dark regen being used to help your healer put bigger heals on you when you're about to die and the healer isn't cc'd .. worthless :-/

Drain Life + Drain Life Talent + Drain Life Glyph: In 2v2 atleast this is king. You can easily self heal your self to full anytime you know wont get interrupted or if you can fake a kick. The tradeoff is if you're healing yourself with drain life, you'll lose pressure from having your dots roll off. Make sure you refresh your agony stacks if possible so you don't lose all pressure. I'm assuming this will be good in 3v3 as well.

Haven't played against any shaman yet, but if we need to kill totems it will have to be with pet or wand (or both with a mouseover /petattack /attack macro).

Comp wise: It's hard to judge because it's skirmishes on a realm where almost no one knows how to play, but I did a long string of games with some russian ww monk i met in skirmishes and we only lost like 3 games out of about 25 due to me dying to double melee cleaves Glad Stance Warrior + DK. I also did a bunch of games with a gnome rogue that went really good as well by sapping dps and opening on the healer. Seemed like all my other partners were trash. Skirmishes are nice because once you find someone good you can use the "requeue as team" option.

Rotation wise: I found myself soulburn/soul swapping initial dots, then soulburn/haunt onto the kill target then focusing on keeping the off-target cc'd. With real partners I'm sure you could hard cast the initial dots, but 90% of the games I was the kill target so it's a little harder to get initial casts off with out help.

Teleport usages is the same.

Gateway has changed a lot. I'm still trying to figure out how to best place it since it's range got nerfed hard.
.. In Ruins, I was just pushing out slightly past the doorway and casting it toward the tomb.
.. In Blade's Edge, I there's a couple different places to put it on the bottom. From the bottom of the ramp to one of the other pillars/ramps.
.. In Nagrand, I'm not sure about yet. You can place it from a pillar to mid to use as a second teleport to get out of mid. You can put it from behind one of your pillars, to the other one of your pillars to gate/pillar hump. I think if you put it from your pillar to their pillar you need to push out a little or it only goes 2/3rds of the way.
.. In Shado-Pan, I've been placing from behind my pillar to one of the side ramps. Don't remember if it reaches pillar to pillar.

Glyph wise: I've been using Drain Life + UA + Eternal Resolve (10% static dmg reduc), but I want to play around with other glyphs to see what it feels liek without eternal resolve.

That's my 2 cents so far. I'm casual 1750 player, so take take what I said however you want. Would also like to add that I've been having a lot of fun so far playing on beta. Hopefully the build they're pushing out tonight will balance things more .. though I believe it will mostly be the healing balance pass they were talking about (bye bye drain life?).

#39 Walmartshoes

Walmartshoes
  • Members

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:50 PM

Demon Lord spec just received some damage buffs. Nothing major, but maybe enough to do decent sustained.
It's me baby, come kiss.

#40 a1entity

a1entity
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Unholy 1/2/1/1/1/2/2
  • 2v2: 1666
  • 3v3: 1893
  • 5v5: 1940
  • RBG: 960

Posted 26 September 2014 - 02:16 PM

Tried affliction and damage is real if you take soulburn: haunt, it just double melee ....... so hard to survive without decent healer/peeler. LIked playing with rogue in that sence

Tried demonology and didn't like it so much yes doombolt hits like a truck but first u need to built fury and then actually get your bolt out, not easy in gameplay of double melee.

Tried destruction and healing is awesome but damage..... dead spec

Edited by a1entity, 26 September 2014 - 02:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<