Warlocks in WoD

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#1 Walmartshoes

Walmartshoes
  • Members

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:27 PM

Hello, my friends.

Unless I'm a major dingus, I really don't see much Dark Mage discussion going on in regards to WoD. Has anyone been playing a Dark Mage on beta? Are you a swashbucklin' buccaneer and would like to contribute your two dubloons?
It's me baby, come kiss.

#2 Maleficent

Maleficent
  • Junkies

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:08 AM

Mechanically Warlocks are just a fucking mess, I'm sure they'll do fine numbers wise but they're just gross and boring to play.

#3 ajc1981

ajc1981
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Affliction 0/2/0/2/0/0
  • 2v2: 2001
  • 3v3: 2305
  • RBG: 1867

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:14 PM

anyone streaming wod as an affliction lock?

#4 Walmartshoes

Walmartshoes
  • Members

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:24 PM

It looks like we'll have to get closer to WoD release to hear more about the Dark Mages.
It's me baby, come kiss.

#5 Thasta

Thasta
  • Junkies
  • Trollclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Affliction 1/2/0/2/0/0/.
  • 2v2: 1442
  • 3v3: 2955

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:17 PM

Affliction feels really weird now. Full fears last 6 seconds and break very quickly to DoTs. The playstyle is mostly the same except with a little less spamming of soul swap because it requires a soul shard. DoTs don't snapshot buffs any more either, so you can't really maximize your damage outside of just stacking procs/buffs.

- We lost fel flame, curse of enfeeblement, exhaustion and elements to the ability prune. I'm really going to miss not having exhaustion or fel flame
- Once again we have to choose between howl of terror, mortal coil and shadowfury, which is understandable and probably overall good for the game to have less instant crowd control.  I just miss having the old death coil on a 2 minute cooldown.
- Demonic Gateway now has a 40 yard max range.

I'm not sure if it's just me getting bored because I've been playing for so long or if affliction actually became more boring to play in WoD. Possibly a little of both?

As for destro, chaos bolts crit like 40k with full cooldowns on 300k+ healthpools.  They removed the instant incinerate procs from backlash and it's really hard to cast anything when trained by even a single melee class. The only saving grace is destro can still rotate casting when locked out of the shadow or fire trees. Lots of classes have good self healing on the beta, but destro's self healing is so good it's almost impossible to kill them 1v1.

Haven't played much demo, they seem similar to s12 in strength except without the chaos wave 1 shots. I doubt they are very strong in arena because of how much the spec's damage is dependent on Doom and how easily it's dispelled.

#6 Lolflay

Lolflay
  • Premium Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Kor'gall
  • Cruelty / Crueldad
  • Talents: Discipline

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:28 PM

View PostThasta, on 02 September 2014 - 07:17 PM, said:

I'm not sure if it's just me getting bored because I've been playing for so long or if affliction actually became more boring to play in WoD. Possibly a little of both?

Cata, MoP ( and now WoD ) affliction is nowhere near the fun level of TBC/WoTLK affli locks. They butchered the class completely WoTLK -> Cata, losing the ability to kill someone 100-0 on my own is what killed the fun factor for me, personally.

So it's both, but the majority being on affliction being boring as fuck to play. These devs are chimps and don't deserve the money they get tbh.

Edited by Lolflay, 02 September 2014 - 07:29 PM.

[13:49:14] Creed: u have 20min to find a healer, going for a jog
[13:49:53] Creed: nothing like running through the bush being chased by wild animals to get a proper workout
[13:50:01] Creed: you europeans and ur silly gyms

#7 Sosseri

Sosseri
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Demonology 2/1/0/2/2/0/.
  • 2v2: 2785
  • 3v3: 2868
  • 5v5: 2518
  • RBG: 2400

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:48 PM

I don't really know about Affli and Destro since i'm maining demo. Demo is really really strong on beta atm, since we recently got corruption and doom "protection" now, when corruption or doom dispelled it gives you 100 demonic fury back. as for the burst/sustain damage, it looks really promising.

Edited by Sosseri, 02 September 2014 - 07:52 PM.

#8 abolishedtehe

abolishedtehe
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Darksorrow
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: 0/2/1/2/0/2/0
  • 2v2: 2304
  • 3v3: 2337
  • RBG: 1340

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:26 PM

View Postajc1981, on 30 August 2014 - 05:14 PM, said:

anyone streaming wod as an affliction lock?

http://www.twitch.tv/blukstack12 blukstack streams wod sometimes. follow him and rep this post cheers.

#9 ajc1981

ajc1981
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Affliction 0/2/0/2/0/0
  • 2v2: 2001
  • 3v3: 2305
  • RBG: 1867

Posted 04 September 2014 - 01:05 AM

don't like the look of affliction atm from what I've seen of it ;(

View Postabolishedtehe, on 02 September 2014 - 09:26 PM, said:

http://www.twitch.tv/blukstack12 blukstack streams wod sometimes. follow him and rep this post cheers.
cheers for the link

#10 DanAction

DanAction
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Spirestone
  • Reckoning
  • Talents: Affliction 2/2/0/1/0/0/0
  • 2v2: 2494
  • 3v3: 2877
  • 5v5: 2185
  • RBG: 2302

Posted 04 September 2014 - 03:18 AM

Destruction just feels lame to play. You literally have no abilities to effectively remove grounding or reflect anymore, since elements, enfeeblement and fel flame are all gone (unless you consider conflagrate, which is an awful use of a conflagrate). Fear being 6 seconds means it's much harder to set up chaos bolts, but I think this is helped by the fact that bolts are much faster to cast now. However, damage is literally crap besides shadowburn. And now we're back to the beginning of MOP in terms of CC (aside from blood fear). It's very difficult to actually do anything with melee on you since they still have retarded mobility, and you only have howl, coil or sfury.

I'm not saying we can't adapt, it's just that for the first time we're just losing a ton of stuff and not really getting anything to show for it. The new talents are pretty meh, since cataclysm is a ground targeted AOE with a nearly 3 second cast time, which means it requires a stun to land; the infernal/doomguard pets are pretty meh, and charred remains makes you useless, since chaos bolts don't really do much. And ember tap healing is stupid once again, except now our damage is gone, so you're better off just ember tapping all game really.

One positive note is the new PVP set bonus, which reduces chaos bolt cast time by 50% when immolate is dispelled. Sadly, chaos bolt is garbage once again, so it doesn't mean too much unless there are some number changes.

Edited by DanAction, 04 September 2014 - 03:25 AM.

#11 Walmartshoes

Walmartshoes
  • Members

Posted 04 September 2014 - 02:58 PM

View PostSosseri, on 02 September 2014 - 07:48 PM, said:

I don't really know about Affli and Destro since i'm maining demo. Demo is really really strong on beta atm, since we recently got corruption and doom "protection" now, when corruption or doom dispelled it gives you 100 demonic fury back. as for the burst/sustain damage, it looks really promising.

It looks like Demon Lord Dark Mages got some serious damage nerfs. Putting out any sort of pressure seems difficult now. The only real damage we have is constant Demon Bolt casting. Basically playing like live Arcane Magicians, but not getting those dungo numbers.
It's me baby, come kiss.

#12 cnopbl

cnopbl
  • Members

Posted 04 September 2014 - 03:48 PM

i dont know how the devs take a class and summarizes it in:
afflic: soulburn, soul swap, soul swap, soul swap, fear fear fear fear.. (3 bottons)
destr: fel flame, fel flame, fel flame, fel flame, fel flame, double coil chaos bolt
demon: pray for a bad enemy.
this isnt fun for me.

what kind of monkey they are?

#13 ottishen

ottishen
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Earthen Ring
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Windwalker 1/2/2/2/2/0
  • 2v2: 1645
  • 3v3: 2409
  • 5v5: 288
  • RBG: 1334

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:58 AM

I haven't ever really played lock but I decided to try how they felt on the beta. I am too bad of a lock to say if they are good or bad, but I did notice that Healthstone cooldown does not start unless you leave combat, the same way as potions works on live. This feels like a huge nerf, both for warlocks and their teammates.

#14 Freshlemons7474

Freshlemons7474
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Shattered Halls
  • Retaliation
  • Talents: Destruction 0/1/2/2/2/0
  • 2v2: 1926
  • 3v3: 2606
  • 5v5: 2406
  • RBG: 192

Posted 07 September 2014 - 12:42 AM

View PostThasta, on 02 September 2014 - 07:17 PM, said:

Affliction feels really weird now. Full fears last 6 seconds and break very quickly to DoTs. The playstyle is mostly the same except with a little less spamming of soul swap because it requires a soul shard. DoTs don't snapshot buffs any more either, so you can't really maximize your damage outside of just stacking procs/buffs.

- We lost fel flame, curse of enfeeblement, exhaustion and elements to the ability prune. I'm really going to miss not having exhaustion or fel flame
- Once again we have to choose between howl of terror, mortal coil and shadowfury, which is understandable and probably overall good for the game to have less instant crowd control.  I just miss having the old death coil on a 2 minute cooldown.
- Demonic Gateway now has a 40 yard max range.

As for destro, chaos bolts crit like 40k with full cooldowns on 300k+ healthpools.  They removed the instant incinerate procs from backlash and it's really hard to cast anything when trained by even a single melee class. The only saving grace is destro can still rotate casting when locked out of the shadow or fire trees. Lots of classes have good self healing on the beta, but destro's self healing is so good it's almost impossible to kill them 1v1.

Haven't played much demo, they seem similar to s12 in strength except without the chaos wave 1 shots. I doubt they are very strong in arena because of how much the spec's damage is dependent on Doom and how easily it's dispelled.

That hurt to read. Locks dont look promising to me in WoD, im glad my alt is a shadow priest.

• Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Karazhan
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Subtlety 1/1/2/2/0/1
  • 2v2: 2304
  • 3v3: 2017
  • 5v5: 96
  • RBG: 1692

Posted 07 September 2014 - 12:58 AM

warlock have been solid since forever, doubt they will do bad in WOD

#16 Freshlemons7474

Freshlemons7474
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Shattered Halls
  • Retaliation
  • Talents: Destruction 0/1/2/2/2/0
  • 2v2: 1926
  • 3v3: 2606
  • 5v5: 2406
  • RBG: 192

Posted 07 September 2014 - 01:59 AM

If i could choose one ability they dont remove in WoD it would be fel flame. RIP little buddy, Ill always remember you and mana drain.

#17 DanAction

DanAction
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Spirestone
  • Reckoning
  • Talents: Affliction 2/2/0/1/0/0/0
  • 2v2: 2494
  • 3v3: 2877
  • 5v5: 2185
  • RBG: 2302

Posted 07 September 2014 - 03:17 AM

View PostNottazzie, on 07 September 2014 - 12:58 AM, said:

warlock have been solid since forever, doubt they will do bad in WOD

Affliction has been solid since forever, and I agree that they will probably do just fine and be top tier. However, MoP was the first time in a long time where every single warlock spec was viable in pvp, and aside from some ridiculous one shot's from demo warlocks in s12, they have been relatively balanced (except affliction, which is probably the best spec in the game right now). Now it looks like we might be returning to the old "affliction or die" motto, which would be a real shame, as the other two warlock specs are just as fun and unique right now, while being competitive.

View PostFreshlemons7474, on 07 September 2014 - 01:59 AM, said:

If i could choose one ability they dont remove in WoD it would be fel flame. RIP little buddy, Ill always remember you and mana drain.

On beta, fel flame is like a phantom limb. It's my biggest complaint with beta gameplay. They expect you to hold conflagrate charges for movement, or rain of fire, or use a pet. Now when you need to move, or remove a totem or something, tough luck. Cast an incinerate at it with a melee using infinite interrupts and stuns.

Edited by DanAction, 07 September 2014 - 03:50 AM.

#18 Xerox

Xerox
  • Members
  • LocationDubai

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:04 AM

View PostDanAction, on 07 September 2014 - 03:17 AM, said:

On beta, fel flame is like a phantom limb.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Posted Image

#19 Nyeshyo

Nyeshyo

Posted 09 September 2014 - 01:26 PM

Haven't been on the beta, but from what I've read it seems like warlocks will be simplified.
Firstly, the removal of dotsnapshotting will significantly lower the skillcap of warlocks, if the dots scale dynamically, it's going to be all about refreshing your dots with pandemic manually on all targets all the time, and then just randomly pop Dark Soul and dots will automatically update and everyone will take damage.

Also, with fel flame gone, do we get another ability off shadow school as replacement?
It'd feel really awkward to cast Haunts on healing streams / lightwells...
Posted Image

#20 Maleficent

Maleficent
  • Junkies

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:41 PM

View PostNyeshyo, on 09 September 2014 - 01:26 PM, said:

Haven't been on the beta, but from what I've read it seems like warlocks will be simplified.
Firstly, the removal of dotsnapshotting will significantly lower the skillcap of warlocks, if the dots scale dynamically, it's going to be all about refreshing your dots with pandemic manually on all targets all the time, and then just randomly pop Dark Soul and dots will automatically update and everyone will take damage.

Also, with fel flame gone, do we get another ability off shadow school as replacement?
It'd feel really awkward to cast Haunts on healing streams / lightwells...
PTR feels so awful it's actually quite saddening. I've done quite a few BGs (no arenas so queues are broke) and gameplay is one-dimensional. All you do is spam dots and fear; there's no way easy way to kill totems or spell reflect and it's boring.

The only moderately fun thing is manually casting dots again and seeing Drain Life do good healing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<