Help

5.4.7 Hunter Guide, For new players

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 Flavours

Flavours

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:24 PM

Posted Image

A Nice simple guide to gearing, speccing and gemming your 5.4.7 Hunter, for PvP.

Requesting a more indepth guide from a High rated hunter, on the ins and outs of arena if possible!

Gemming, Reforging, and Gear

Currently it is:

Red: +160 Agi
Blue: +80 PvP Power + 80 Agi + 80 Agi + 160 hit
Yellow: + 80 Agi + 160 Crit
Meta: PvE Crit meta, or PvP Meta (Try buying both of these to swap out helmets vs. different comps)

Posted Image

Belt Buckle for an Extra slot

3% is the hit cap.

Reforge Into Crit wherever you can.
Reforge into Mastery where you can not.
Reforge out of haste.

Posted Image

Enchants

Shoulder: +200 Agi + 100 Crit
Back: + 180 Crit
Chest: +80 stats +200 Resi
Wrist: +180 Agi
Hands: +170 Mastery
Legs: +265 Agi + 165 Crit
Feet: +140 Agi
Weapon: Living Steel Wep chain, Glourious Tyranny

Professions

Engineering + Tailoring are BiS

Talents

Posted Image

Roots are nearly always better as they have multiple uses, Trapping off, keeping Melee at bay, forcing Freedoms out the enemy team, forcing Cloaks etc, Posthaste just isn't as good, and CTHC never feels worth it to me, personally, as you don't really have a chance to get that 3rd deter off, however could work well vs. Spellcleaves.

Posted Image

This one is really a no-brainer for me, a 6 second CC with a 30 yard range, it's too good to give up, It fool proofs your cc, Warrior eats your trap? Wyvern healer and you have double cc going. Binding Shot DR's Warrior stuns in KFC, and HLS, and Wyvern can force Tremors whilst being on a different DR.

Binding shot could work however, with Kitty cleaves and PHD's who rely alot more on huge damage, than CC, or against TSG's to stop the cleavers.

Posted Image

Exhil is out of the picture post Readiness change, So you have the choice of a base constant 10% damage reduction, or a BF affected dampening affected heal for 3% every 2 seconds, which requires your pet to be alive.

Do the math!

Posted Image

Thrill of the hunt is brilliant for preserving focus and doing big damage, paired with Blink strikes, this is Hunter talents 1 and was previously Cookie cutter.

Posted Image

However, since some theory crafting happened recently, some of the top Hunters have been running;

Posted Image

Fervor grants an instant 50 Focus, which can be what you need to score a kill after you focus dump them low, and is the exact same cost as the talent it's paired with.

Posted Image

Dillypoo on the MoC / Fervor talent choice:

Oh and PS AMoC no longer procs wild quiver mastery, it was nerfed so serpent sting and  AMoC would no longer proc wild quiver. However it is still a useful burst cd, and it is very strong against other hunters. I'm going to play around with it some more today.

I haven't used it since nerf, but I know Esandies(Hurako/Huraka) on US uses it a lot, as well as Jellybeans. On EU Souken tends to use AMoC as well, however unlike the US hunters using it, he also goes for fervor over ToTH. Will play around with it more today, prolly gunna use ToTH though over Fervor with crows since ToTH is more focus efficient overall.

Posted Image

Most reliable damage of the 3 since powershot was Nerfed, Barrage risks breaking CC, and is lackluster.

Glyphs

Posted Image

Solace: Your Freezing Trap and Scatter shot now Remove all Dots - Needed so CC won't break.

Animal Bond: While your pet is active, all healing done to you and your pet is increased by 10% - Flat healing increase, which is great for hunters who are often the kill target, and helpful for the pet too which can be targeted, and thanks to the pet res change is up nearly 100% of the time.

The third spot is open to a couple glyph's, but I find -

Explosive Trap: Add's a Knock back to the trap. Works best.

Camo Glyph: Slows your movement speed whilst in camo, but stealths you. - Great vs. Rogue teams to avoid openers.

Macros

I'm going to plug the hunter who made me pick mine back up of the shelf's Macros here, as they're written 100x better than my own:

http://pastebin.com/vwVv2UJH

In general, though, you will need:

Wyvern Arena1, 2, 3.
Scatter Arena1, 2, 3.
Tranq Arena1, 2, 3.
Ros Party 1, 2, 3.
Freedom Party1, 2, 3.

The rest are pretty standard, Swifty Macro's and Focus macro's

And an Errors + Gryphons script:

#showtooltip Every Man For Himself
/script UIErrorsFrame:Hide();
/run MainMenuBarLeftEndCap:Hide();MainMenuBarRightEndCap:Hide()

Hunter Comps

HLS - Is strong right now, the Comp has incredible amounts of CC, and plays alot like WLS, just with much more control and utility.

KFC - will have another season moving from strength to strength, the comp is constant pressure, and can train 1 target into the ground. No healer can outheal the Damage, but the comp can lack for CC if traps are missed, and has easily counterable cooldowns.

Beastcleave - Is good right now. The purge on both dps means it poses trouble for every Paladin and priest it q's into, and within small burst windows does some of the biggest damage in the game. However, alot of the CC dr's, making it much less CC reliant.

Junglecleave - The way Prideful gear has affected stats has made this comp super strong, played alot like TSG, you find a target, and you train it with unhealable damage until it dies.

SHDK - Works with SV too, SHDK plays alot like KFC, just with a DK at the helm instead. Trades surviviabilty for more damage.

RshamThug - Another 5.4.7 exclusive comp that didn't exist last season, It runs like RM/X, Stealth openers to force cooldowns, whilst the Rogue re's 24/7 and the hunter pressures and supplies CC.

Hunter streams:

http://www.twitch.tv/dillypoo69 - 2600 + R1 Hunter
http://www.twitch.tv/tosantribe - Multi R1 hunter
http://www.twitch.tv/bloodxeu (when on hunter) 2700 + Multiclasser
http://www.twitch.tv/pounced - 2500 + multi gladiator hunter
http://www.twitch.tv/glinksz - R1 Hunter
twitch.tv/nartsz - multi Gladiator hunter

Edited by Aces, 15 April 2014 - 11:40 AM.

View Postisthisnametakenyet, on 18 August 2014 - 11:24 PM, said:

fucking scum why don't you just offer him help instead of being a dick

#2 jaimex

jaimex

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:30 PM

You seriously play hunter? wut? Nice guide.

#3 Flavours

Flavours

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:35 PM

View Postjaimex, on 09 April 2014 - 05:30 PM, said:

You seriously play hunter? wut? Nice guide.

I messaged you on skype jeez, our kfc could be so real
Play is a loose term, i acquired the character, as opposed to leveling / playing it, and since i've had like 100 days of gametime playing nothing but warrior, it thought a ranged class would do me good! Thanks man!

#4 Brandnewftwarmorforsleep

Brandnewftwarmorforsleep
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Khaz Modan
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Marksmanship 1/1/1/2/1/0
  • 2v2: 1969
  • 3v3: 2352
  • RBG: 192

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:01 PM

Just a heads up, red gem is 160 agi, not crit. You show the correct gem, just wrote it wrong.

#5 Slavens

Slavens
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Korgath
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Marksmanship 1/1/1/0/0/0
  • 2v2: 2281
  • 3v3: 2733
  • 5v5: 1344
  • RBG: 576

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:05 PM

would rep but dat mog doe

also,

Kittycleave - The way Prideful gear has affected stats has made this comp super strong, played alot like TSG, you find a target, and you train it with unhealable damage until it dies.

wat

Edited by Slavens, 09 April 2014 - 06:07 PM.

#6 denn_o

denn_o
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Restoration 1/2/2/0/0/0
  • 2v2: 1811
  • 3v3: 2214
  • RBG: 1327

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:15 PM

You forgot the 90 Talent row. Glaive Toss obviously. For Glyphs you should mention Camo Glyph against Rogue Teams.
About crows, i think it's better because it is more burst. I believe in a PvE Scenario it's even with BLink Strikes, but the damage is executed over 30 seconds which is obviously better. Plus it's annoying as fuck to have it on you. Blink strikes just doesn't really do anything for you and since your pet isn't on a target 24/7 it might even be less dps (let alone burst) than crows in a PvP Scenario.

#7 Flavours

Flavours

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:21 PM

View PostBrandnewftwarmorforsleep, on 09 April 2014 - 06:01 PM, said:

Just a heads up, red gem is 160 agi, not crit. You show the correct gem, just wrote it wrong.

Fixed! Thanks!

View PostSlavens, on 09 April 2014 - 06:05 PM, said:

would rep but dat mog doe

also,

wat

Luddex is now 2.7 playing Kitty! It's super viable, and i don't see many swaps going on!
Psh, the mog is great! Working on getting the Vicious gear, but RBG's are tedious.

View Postdenn_o, on 09 April 2014 - 06:15 PM, said:

You forgot the 90 Talent row. Glaive Toss obviously. For Glyphs you should mention Camo Glyph against Rogue Teams.
About crows, i think it's better because it is more burst. I believe in a PvE Scenario it's even with BLink Strikes, but the damage is executed over 30 seconds which is obviously better. Plus it's annoying as fuck to have it on you. Blink strikes just doesn't really do anything for you and since your pet isn't on a target 24/7 it might even be less dps (let alone burst) than crows in a PvP Scenario.

Fixed, had it all downloaded and stuff, just missed it. I'll Add camo glyph!

Edited by Aces, 09 April 2014 - 06:26 PM.

#8 Slavens

Slavens
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Korgath
  • Vengeance

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:27 PM

View PostAces, on 09 April 2014 - 06:21 PM, said:

Fixed! Thanks!

[size=4]

Luddex is now 2.7 playing Kitty! It's super viable, and i don't see many swaps going on!
Psh, the mog is great! Working on getting the Vicious gear, but RBG's are tedious.

[size=4]

Fixed, had it all downloaded and stuff, just missed it. I'll Add camo glyph!

do you mean jungle cleave? kitty cleave doesn't have a hunter in it

#9 Flavours

Flavours

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:28 PM

View PostSlavens, on 09 April 2014 - 06:27 PM, said:

do you mean jungle cleave? kitty cleave doesn't have a hunter in it

I'm an idiot, thankyou <3

#10 Slavens

Slavens
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Korgath
  • Vengeance

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:29 PM

no problem broski

#11 Dillypoo

Dillypoo
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • 2v2: 2502
  • 3v3: 3028
  • 5v5: 2316
  • RBG: 1988

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:00 PM

Thanks for posting my stream! ^_^ good guide too

Edit: I can help write any advanced info if you want, a detailed hunter guide could be awesome ^_^

Edited by Dillypoo, 09 April 2014 - 07:19 PM.

View PostCapstone, on 31 July 2014 - 03:47 PM, said:

the only hunter i approve of is dillypoo. the remainder of hunters' existence offends me to my core. when i wake up, i am troubled that in some parts of the world, there are other humans who still partake in slavery, sex trafficking, and hunter playing on world of warcraft

http://i.imgur.com/QfpYL5r.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/hGw5KBu.jpg

#12 Flavours

Flavours

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:12 PM

View PostDillypoo, on 09 April 2014 - 07:00 PM, said:

No problem man, I keep tuning in and it made me grab a hunter to play aswell, Love the stream! Keep it up!

#13 jaimex

jaimex

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:14 PM

no not vicious vicious is horrible
faced luddex's jungle, was a fucking free win, so bad, the only reason they are high are they snipe rshamans and train healers, pathetic.

#14 Flavours

Flavours

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:31 PM

Vicious is hot! You hate all my transmogs, i'm beginning to think you're the one without taste!

#15 Flavours

Flavours

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:39 PM

View PostDillypoo, on 09 April 2014 - 07:00 PM, said:

Edit: I can help write any advanced info if you want, a detailed hunter guide could be awesome ^_^

Replying to the Edit, Yeah that would be great! Same way the Warrior one worked, Since i only play regularly between 2.1 and 2.3 mmr / cr i don't experience the absolute high end of arena, So i wrote a nice simple guide for Warriors like this one, and a 2.5 Warrior friend wrote something more indepth with emphasis on positioning, mindgames etc

Would be amazing if you could!

Edited by Aces, 09 April 2014 - 07:40 PM.

#16 jaimex

jaimex

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:47 PM

View PostAces, on 09 April 2014 - 07:31 PM, said:

Vicious is hot! You hate all my transmogs, i'm beginning to think you're the one without taste!

no ur just shit

#17 Flavours

Flavours

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:02 PM

View Postjaimex, on 09 April 2014 - 07:47 PM, said:

no ur just shit

i love you too
may the lsd be strong with you

#18 Dillypoo

Dillypoo
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • 2v2: 2502
  • 3v3: 3028
  • 5v5: 2316
  • RBG: 1988

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:07 PM

View PostAces, on 09 April 2014 - 07:12 PM, said:

No problem man, I keep tuning in and it made me grab a hunter to play aswell, Love the stream! Keep it up!

Haha I definitely will! Oh and PS AMoC no longer procs wild quiver mastery, it was nerfed so serpent sting and  AMoC would no longer proc wild quiver. However it is still a useful burst cd, and it is very strong against other hunters. I'm going to play around with it some more today.

I haven't used it since nerf, but I know Esandies(Hurako/Huraka) on US uses it a lot, as well as Jellybeans. On EU Souken tends to use AMoC as well, however unlike the US hunters using it, he also goes for fervor over ToTH. Will play around with it more today, prolly gunna use ToTH though over Fervor with crows since ToTH is more focus efficient overall.

View PostCapstone, on 31 July 2014 - 03:47 PM, said:

the only hunter i approve of is dillypoo. the remainder of hunters' existence offends me to my core. when i wake up, i am troubled that in some parts of the world, there are other humans who still partake in slavery, sex trafficking, and hunter playing on world of warcraft

http://i.imgur.com/QfpYL5r.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/hGw5KBu.jpg

#19 Slavens

Slavens
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Korgath
  • Vengeance

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:10 PM

i've been using crows nonstop since i got my weapon this season, i prefer them much more than blink strikes

they still feel pretty strong after the nerf

#20 TheGosuStandard

TheGosuStandard
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Marksmanship 1/1/1/2/1/0
  • 2v2: 1710
  • 3v3: 2023
  • 5v5: 2266
  • RBG: 2003

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:11 PM

Did you mean mastery enchant for gloves instead of agility, unless I've been missing out on that enchant?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

<