Photo

Destruction Warlock Guide (5.4.7)

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 Alphric

Alphric
  • Members

Posted 31 May 2014 - 04:57 PM

Is there a twitter I should follow, idol I should worship, or shrine I should pray to?

#42 glonglon

glonglon
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Retribution 1/0/0/2/0/2
  • 2v2: 1905
  • 3v3: 1990

Posted 31 May 2014 - 05:09 PM

2 questions:
Is the legendary cape better than the Grevious cape?
Who is Thugonomicz - big deal pvp, biggish deal, some guy?

Thugonomicz is one of the best destro lock currently playing. If I remember well, he made 3rd place at blizzcon. Check his stream linked in the streams section of the guide if you want to see high rated destro arenas, It'll probably help you improve your gameplay.

About the legendary cloak, the proc doesn't work against players. It is slightly better than the grievous cloak in pvp but inferior to the prideful cloak. (Remember that pve items gearscore is downgraded in pvp).

Regards.

PS :

Is there a twitter I should follow, idol I should worship, or shrine I should pray to?

Believe in yourself, it should be enough.

2928d50b7e413a8ddaf370ee54429eb5.png

#43 Alphric

Alphric
  • Members

Posted 31 May 2014 - 06:31 PM

I'll just rub my face against his armory lol

#44 Alphric

Alphric
  • Members

Posted 31 May 2014 - 08:04 PM

PS :

I meant an idol of of shrine to Thugonomicz lol, all in good jest however. The secret could be in the transmog lol.

#45 Divinious83

Divinious83
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Elemental 0/1/0/1/0/0
  • 2v2: 1959
  • 3v3: 2207
  • RBG: 1695

Posted 31 May 2014 - 08:40 PM

Thugonomicz is one of the best destro lock currently playing. If I remember well, he made 3rd place at blizzcon. Check his stream linked in the streams section of the guide if you want to see high rated destro arenas, It'll probably help you improve your gameplay.

About the legendary cloak, the proc doesn't work against players. It is slightly better than the grievous cloak in pvp but inferior to the prideful cloak. (Remember that pve items gearscore is downgraded in pvp).

Regards.

PS :

Hey glonglon-
Just about caught my destro to 90, been mashing it out this weekend to basically putz around in 2s with a RL friend and his ele shaman alt (hes been seeing what I can crank out as ele in 3s and is feening lol).

1) For 2s with an ele can i get away with a succubus like old school destro/ele?

2) If not is sac the way to go, generally speaking? (would I want link for double dps teams in prep of them bursting me down?)

3) I normally us coil, but in this comp (for 2s mind you not 3s) would shadowfury be more viable with the lower cooldown, perhaps more non DR peels faster for sham?

4) Would I change any glyphs from eternal resolve, havoc, conflag? Maybe healthstone, portal? Would potentially swapping to shadowfury mean I could get away with not glyphing havoc as I wouldn't set up with coils first?

Thanks for all the help and info!

#46 glonglon

glonglon
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:48 PM

Hi,

1) No, sac your felhunter for spell lock.

2) Sac is the way to go for the 25% dmg increase

3) Ele has no reliable stuns (capacitor totem can easily be destroyed or avoided) so yes you can go shadowfury.

4) Yes you can switch your havoc glyph with teleport or healthstone if you play with shadowfury.

Hope this helps,
Regards.

#47 Alphric

Alphric
  • Members

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:27 PM

Is stone form worth using? And if so should I use it with on it's own, or macro it with unbound will? twilight ward?dark bargain? Resolve?

#48 glonglon

glonglon
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:06 PM

Well...dwarf is not the best race for pvp as lock .

Anyways, Stone form can remove wyvern sting and para poison stacks.

You can also use it to remove high damage bleeds like feral's 5cp rip.

Ofc you can use it for the +10% dmg mitigation in conjunction of your other defensive cooldowns (DarkR, Dark bargain) when you opponents are using their burst CDs or when your healer is CC'ed.

#49 Alphric

Alphric
  • Members

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:16 PM

Yeah, I don't really care about BiS racials, I was just seeing if it was worth using a button on it. :3

#50 Divinious83

Divinious83
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:01 AM

Hi,

1) No, sac your felhunter for spell lock.

2) Sac is the way to go for the 25% dmg increase

3) Ele has no reliable stuns (capacitor totem can easily be destroyed or avoided) so yes you can go shadowfury.

4) Yes you can switch your havoc glyph with teleport or healthstone if you play with shadowfury.

Hope this helps,
Regards.

Isn't it only a 15% dmg increase? Also was mostly thinking of bringing in Sheeva for the double dps without hybrid heals so we can survive without the shaman or me imploding, something like maybe .... war/hunter or rogue/hunter rogue/feral seen a ton of these (well a ton of the first two) Just thought the spell lock would be useless and a pet peeling during lockdown might eek us through their opener. If sac is still the way to go there...15% traded for cc surviving openers/dmg reduc....has to be something better than spell lock if I would still sac. Last stand or imp i guess?

#51 glonglon

glonglon
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:20 PM

Isn't it only a 15% dmg increase?

Yeah sorry, It's only +15% dmg increase for destro but anyways it's still huge, remember that destro is a burst spec so you want to max out your burst dmg output, this is why sac is the best choice.

You can check out cobrak channel, he has some nice 2s vids as destro, should give you an idea about how to setup proper kills with your burst :

http://youtu.be/LRBHFDdsKj0

Hope this helps,
regards.

#52 Hackattack3

Hackattack3
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Darkspear
  • Cyclone
  • Talents: Destruction 1/2/0/1/0/0
  • 2v2: 1609
  • 3v3: 1792
  • RBG: 2050

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:19 AM

Isn't it only a 15% dmg increase? Also was mostly thinking of bringing in Sheeva for the double dps without hybrid heals so we can survive without the shaman or me imploding, something like maybe .... war/hunter or rogue/hunter rogue/feral seen a ton of these (well a ton of the first two) Just thought the spell lock would be useless and a pet peeling during lockdown might eek us through their opener. If sac is still the way to go there...15% traded for cc surviving openers/dmg reduc....has to be something better than spell lock if I would still sac. Last stand or imp i guess?

I'm about to give you some tough love here. Not to discourage you but encourage you by pointing out it is the game, not you.

Running as destro/ele, you will pretty much get shit on by any 2xdps, esp if one of the dps is a rogue or hunter. They will most likely dump on your elemental in less than 30 sec and cc you and there's not much you can do about it. You can peel but that will get you no where. The only way to have success is to run afflic/elemental so you can at least counter pressure when trying to peel. As afflic, even if your ele drops, you will have situations where both melee are sub 30% hp from dots or you have a 1vs1.

Even if you manage to kill a dps, you will get shit on 1vs1 vs any decent hunter or rogue as pet sac destro spec. Current state and balance of the game, 2k in 2s as destro/elemental would be extremely impressive.

#53 Divinious83

Divinious83
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:02 PM

Even if you manage to kill a dps, you will get shit on 1vs1 vs any decent hunter or rogue as pet sac destro spec. Current state and balance of the game, 2k in 2s as destro/elemental would be extremely impressive.

Challenge accepted.

Played it a bit last night for the first time. Mind you this was my first night playing lock with gear now that we hit the catch up cap with it, BUT we got to about 1700 out the gates with little difficulty....ill work on it.

One thing I did notice is that you are right about double dps being a chore! esp hunter/rogue war/hunter.
I find that with these matches (instead of succy like i thought about trying before) I bring out a blueberry to start the match (while playing sac). When the match starts i try and burn the opening disarm onto the warrior as soon as they jump in to bladestorm and then sac it for the last stand. Usually this buys us a trinket vs these teams. If that happens we aim to NS hex the war and blow cooldowns. Rogue/hunter tends to be a bit easier because of fact he can no break fear with zerker. We try and stay close for opening garrote so i can fearbomb and surround ourselves behind a pillar with magma totem/earthquake/rain of fire/earthbind split around us. The first or your second fear usually buys a rogue trinket and then NS hex onto him while you unload on hunter.

Healer/dps we consistantly shit on with the only exception being rsham war. Seems like that match is suffocating and CC worthless, any tips for that one?

After coming from playing shaman I told mine not to be afraid to open with ascendance in those hunter/melee situation (its not 3s! rules are different). On a team with no heals that wants to zerg the lock he can drop a warrior wanting to jump in and derpstorm on me in about the time it takes dark bargain to wear off. These teams look to end matches in 30 seconds or less and they have NO OFF HEALS. Get ahead of them in dmg/pressure as soon as humanly possible and it gives a little wiggle room. I also use coil instead of sfury. The double havoc bolt/coil combo is devestating even once in a 2s match vs double dps.

Edited by Divinious83, 07 June 2014 - 01:32 PM.

#54 Hackattack3

Hackattack3
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Darkspear
  • Cyclone
  • Talents: Destruction 1/2/0/1/0/0
  • 2v2: 1609
  • 3v3: 1792
  • RBG: 2050

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:55 PM

Nice sounds like you are on your way :D

Unfortunately, you are about to run into a wave of dps/healer try hards at +1800. Monk/holy that ccs you entire time and dk/healer where the dk won't come off a pillar unless all defensive Cds are up.

Best way I've found to deal with rsham/war is to blow early shit on the war w/ cc on the rsham (hex into blanket silence) etc. War will wall, go defensive, and hopefully you force the rsham's trinket. If that's the case, make sure knocking down healing stream is top priority and get ready to swap and gib the rsham next time silence is up. For healer swap strats I really like deathcoil b/c you can havvoc + coil to get free to cast a CB and prevent the healer from casting. Something like: fear on sham, open hard casts, havoc + coil + CB, follow that up w/ capacitor stun and blanket silence. Make sure you have embers for shadowburn.

#55 DeathwishArea52

DeathwishArea52
  • Members

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:41 PM

I've recently been playing some warlock pvp and some questions, but the answers I find are widely varied.

I've been told to try destruction/elemental for 2s. The reason I was given is that both are deadly freecasters so it forces double dps teams to split and dps/healer teams often lack the damage/cc to effectively counter. What I want to know how viable this is and what could counter the team combo?

Also, there seems to be a lot of debate over what demon to sacrifice, I've been saccing my voidwalker over my felhunter using the logic that not all classes can be interupted but having the 30% extra health cd is universal. I forget to use spell lock many times too. Bad warlock is bad. Anyways the question is (and I know warlocks are about as situational as it gets), when is it appropriate to sacrifice voidwalker and felhunter?

Last question, if having enough embers is not a concern, is there value in refreshing or jumping right into a burst rotation if the window presents itself?

Edit: questions and phrasing.

#56 m3shu

m3shu
  • Members

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:03 AM

destro aka the most boring spec ever in this game

#57 Brogrimmle

Brogrimmle
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Destruction 1/2/0/1/0/1
  • 2v2: 1207
  • RBG: 384

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:17 AM

destro aka the most boring spec ever in this game

Nonsense, it's amazing! Just started this Warlock, loving the class/spec!

Thanks for the great guide, helped me a lot getting started!

#58 Gravelord

Gravelord
  • Members

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:11 PM

I think you should add in to the guide that against melee heavy comps or arms warriors in general, using Supremacy and Shivarra is much better compared to GoSac. If Warr is not a human and doesn't have trinket ready, there's nothing he can do to get out of Mesmerize/Seduction (or healer dispell ofc).

#59 DkH.ZeRa

DkH.ZeRa
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Eredar
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Destruction 0/0/1/1/2/1/0
  • 2v2: 1674
  • 3v3: 2551
  • 5v5: 672
  • RBG: 1769

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:46 AM