• Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Retribution 1/0/0/2/0/2
  • 2v2: 1905
  • 3v3: 1990

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:30 PM

[quote name='Blaxe' timestamp='1395490672' post='4084825']
Considering a warlock going for full haste, wouldn't it be interesting to go for Harvest Life? As you said survivability is quit sloppy and depending on a 2min cd doesn't sound nice :I
[/quote]

@Blaxe,

As I said in the guide, as affliction you're GCD starved so you'll never have time to channel harvest life. It's better to rely on a 2mn instant cast defensive cooldown.

@Cvsbug, Eviaax and Jaime

I agree with you guys so I modified the PvP talents chapter to include the sac+dark bargain playstyle.

Regards.

2928d50b7e413a8ddaf370ee54429eb5.png

#22 battou64

battou64
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Affliction 0/2/0/0/0/0
  • 2v2: 1519
  • 3v3: 384
  • RBG: 1544

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:34 AM

Hey, this is a pretty great guide! Could you include a blurb about Demonic Gateway in it, though?

You could talk a bit about the ideal positioning on maps(i.e low gate vs high gate on blade's edge, diagonal vs side to side on nagrand, and where the hell to put it on dalaran), and how to react against teams that try their hardest to stop you getting one out.

It's on the teammates to help prevent warriors/mages/hunters from stopping you, but you can also make it much harder to stop by positioning yourself well.

Something I'd like to add unique to affliction is that Gateway goes out faster during our Dark Soul, and you can use this to your advantage.

If the enemy team goes ham on you from the get go to try and pressure gate, a good thing to do is to drop your circle, pop your dark soul with procs for some counter pressure while you go around LoS, perhaps get a fear/stun off (or have your partner peel) as you port back and get a quick gate out.

I find this is only really necessary on dalaran vs warrior comps, but in my opinion for locks, the setup is one of the most important parts of the match.

I do have one question though, are people really doing SoC with mannoroth's fury in RBGs? or is that just one of those theoretically possible options. I'm skeptical, but I did just see a wallirikz screenshot of it being used.

In the past, I understood that while spamming SoC swaps could technically increase your damage, it was just meter padding(not really contributing to actually wearing down targets for a swap), and it was a lot of setup, the chain was easily interrupted, and the globals could be better spent spamming CC and UA coverage.

Has this changed, or was I misinformed in the first place?

#23 glonglon

glonglon
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Retribution 1/0/0/2/0/2
  • 2v2: 1905
  • 3v3: 1990

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:38 PM

@battou64, Thank you glad you liked the guide :)

Cleaving with Sb:Soc+SoC & mannoroth's fury is your best option for RBG.

About gateway & port proper usage, I'll add a chapter about that in all my guides.

Regards.

2928d50b7e413a8ddaf370ee54429eb5.png

#24 Evil_Kmuz

Evil_Kmuz
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Drakkari
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Destruction 2/2/2/0/2/1/0
  • 2v2: 1410

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:20 AM

im not very fan of "eternal resolve" i prefer having my "inner focus time" than 10% of dmg reduction but overall nice guide

#25 Elusion

Elusion
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Affliction 0/2/2/2/2/0/.

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:46 AM

im not very fan of "eternal resolve" i prefer having my "inner focus time" than 10% of dmg reduction but overall nice guide

wouldnt it be easier to simply fake cast and take less damage 100% of the time than have an aura mastery....

#26 Nadagast

Nadagast
  • Moderators
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Affliction 0/2/0/2/0/0
  • 2v2: 1878
  • 3v3: 2779

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:36 PM

Good job. :)

#27 Bluckstack

Bluckstack
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Sanguino
  • Cruelty / Crueldad
  • Talents: Affliction 0/1/0/0/0/.
  • LocationGijón

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:48 PM

Neither sac and dark bargain are always the best choice, in general vs dot cleaves without mortal strike you should aim for petsac + SL ( +20% hp) which is +20% heal on glyph of siphon life, dark regeneration, hs etc. If you face RLS or boomer rogue for example you can surely go dark bargain and pet sac.

You get mana from life tap aswell based on your maximun hp so with SL sac you win "dmg" by doing less life taps, also if you wanna be a tryhardlord in some situations you can still make a pet and have the SL buff to reduce 20% dmg and eventually when the pet is dying go for the sacrifice again

#28 Battousai_sebas

Battousai_sebas
  • Members

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:44 PM

Really awesome guide, it finally encouraged me to try Mannoroth Fury + Seed of Corruption in RBG and totally paid off in those BGs where you can expect a lot of people to be cluttered together.

One question that I'm not sure of, does Mastery increase damage of Seed of Corruption? As written it only says Unstable Affliction, Corruption and Agony, but to be sure.

Thank you !

#29 Longshott

Longshott
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Malorne
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Affliction 2/2/2/0/2/0/.
  • 2v2: 1744
  • 3v3: 1715
  • 5v5: 96
  • RBG: 2459

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:49 PM

Glad you liked the guide Maleficient.

About races you're absolutely right, I'll change that.

Does the troll racial really effect dot damage by that much to beat out orc spell power buff, stun reduction, and slight pet dmg increase? I thought troll racial was just casting speed increase so I was unaware it effected snapshot of dots?

Nice Guide btw info really helped

#30 Warcraftlock

Warcraftlock
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Destruction 0/2/0/2/2/1
  • 2v2: 1510
  • 3v3: 2326
  • 5v5: 2224
  • RBG: 1758

Posted 22 May 2014 - 12:27 AM

Good guide but there are comps that are stronger than ones listed, and they all play so differently

#31 zivimoor

zivimoor
  • Members

Posted 31 May 2014 - 05:44 PM

great guide, has been alot of help so far!
Do people actually use curse of exhaustion? I really don't see many using it

#32 pjp1113

pjp1113
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kil'jaeden
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Demonology 0/1/2/0/1/0
  • 2v2: 1504
  • 3v3: 2006
  • RBG: 1927

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:11 PM

Great guide.

#33 Desgraciado

Desgraciado

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:40 PM

I've only recently focused on getting better at arena, so I may think differently after this months rating push or be off base but I have had a differnt experience when it comes to being trained and/or survivability.

First, on being trained:
(1) the consensus in most teams I run ith is that the team is better off when I am trained because: (a) I can get my maximum damage up on a all targets despite being trained (SB:SS as I run, and haunt whenever port and/or cc's have opened up enough space for me to haunt; (B) my portal allows me to kite in a controlled manner, out to range, back to port and out, making me easy to heal/dispel and making enemy dps easy to damage and cc; © I can work my talents /glyphs to provide damage reductoin; (d) dark regeneration may be all I have, but it is a reset button other classes do not have; (e) play is predictable b/c I have set run patters that abuse terraine--e.g., in Ruins of L my portal sits at one side of stairs, and I kite the alley extending from other side of stairs (to boxes and back--hugging the inner wall to LOS ranged form above (forcing them tto drop down to target me and heal, allowing quick dot swaps onto all targest); (f) eventually they start to make desperate hard swaps onto healer or other dps; and (2) Becasue of this, a lot of my dueilng is focused on long survivability rather than 1v1 dominance.

In that regard, and on the advice of an affliction mulitglad--I do run soulink and grim of sac, not b/c they are the most synergystic talent choices. Specifically, I run sac for the health boost provided by shadowb bulwark and I will go sofar as to soul burn summon the void walker just to sacrific it and reset my health. Again from dueling, I have gotten in the habit of ranging port and postioning so I can SB/teleport behind my oppoent , and sprint at them from behind, using HOT when I am in their midists, into a shadown fury with fears/haunt into a port or run up the stairs and back, depnding. I am the only class that can put up maximum damage, force trinkets and defensive CD.

In sum, I think the guide above is on the money in most cases. I only take issue to the extent thte giuld suggest or outright concludes t hat afflictoin lacks the tools and mobility to turn "sit on the lock," into an act of futiltiy or an outright death sentence for the opposing team. I do agree that affliction will not survive for long if trained in empty room by burst dps. Warlocks cannot expect to trade blows with an unholy dk,and come out vidtorus based on his or her talent tree alone. Terraine is involved, teams are involved--the lock must use his abiltiies to abuse the provided arena maps ad exacerbate the vulnerabilities of opponent classes. So maybe success isn't something found in the lock spell book alone. Agreed.

But successful an affliction warlock can be. I usually surprise the teams I run with b/c they don't expect my the damage output and they further remark that they have never seen a warlock survive like I do. While flattering, I am sure what they see for the first time from me is commonplace up the ladder. I don't think I am a dynamo or anyhing--most of what I do I have learned from other locks or other classes workinng whit me to discovery what an aff lcok can do to coutner their class/spec in pvp--it's been a group exploration.

I think the big difference is that I enter pvp's with the notion (perhaps deluded, perhaps justifiefd, and maybe both) that I can win any fight if play right. Approaching the battlefield thinking otherwise, is a sure way to lose and to lose in the very way convince yourself and everyone arround you that the loss was the only possible outocme.

Give yourself some wiggle room. At the every least, cheer up, it might not happen. :P

#34 Kluian

Kluian
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Blackrock
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Affliction

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:02 PM

I'm just returning to the game, and looking through the macro section, I'm wondering what the advantage of having /starattack included in macros for things like UA / Agony / Corrupt is vs just having the spell on my bar.

Thanks to anyone who can clear this up for me.

EDIT: Is there a way to condense the target spell lock / focus spell lock into a single macro if using a shift modifier?

#35 Grossefrappe

Grossefrappe
  • Members

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:22 PM

I just want to add something about haste/Mastery.
We are talking about haste caps. I want to reconsider this idea of cap.

The idea is that : when your hole corruption for example, will have its damage optimized when you hit the "corruption cap".
And a hole corruption is a corruption that lasts and finishes.

You see where I am going to ? This cap is only relevant for THE dot (I say the dot, because every dot has its cap) when it 's over.

For example : you are in arena, you cast a corruption. You get CC'd later and you can't reapply your DOT. In that case, the corruption cap is relevant.

So a work of statistics may be added to see how relevant is that concept of haste cap. If you see that in average, in your matches, you let your "dot caped" (we call it caped because it's the dot who is capped) finishes, let's say 1 out of 10 (this means 1 dot you are not able to refresh out of 10 dots cast), then you can quantify the gain you have by capping your dot, which is, in that case, not that good.

I would say, getting the cap with a 0,01% chance of not hitting would not be good.

And we could go further : diminush his haste in order not to go over a cap would not be that usefull ? This would be an invitation of stuff yourself full haste, but really full full full haste.

#36 Lolflay

Lolflay
  • Premium Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Kor'gall
  • Cruelty / Crueldad
  • Talents: Discipline

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:50 AM

I'm just returning to the game, and looking through the macro section, I'm wondering what the advantage of having /starattack included in macros for things like UA / Agony / Corrupt is vs just having the spell on my bar.

EDIT: Is there a way to condense the target spell lock / focus spell lock into a single macro if using a shift modifier?

/weaponattack is mostly to keep weapon sheathed out while casting spells I think, I see no practical use out of it besides that

and your macro is a basic shift modifier macro, I don't use them so I can't copypaste one, but I'm sure you can find one in Macro section of AJ ( rogue blind macro with shift modifier f.ex, just remove blind and place "Command Demon" in it )

[13:49:14] Creed: u have 20min to find a healer, going for a jog
[13:49:53] Creed: nothing like running through the bush being chased by wild animals to get a proper workout
[13:50:01] Creed: you europeans and ur silly gyms

#37 Brassmonkeys

Brassmonkeys
  • Members

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:34 AM

I might be wrong but I think your think of /petattack which yes you are right, if you bind /petattack to UA, Corruption, Agony then your pet will switch target a lot quicker then if you just switch targets without the macroing /petattack. Hope this helped.

Great guide very helpful with tonnes of information.
I would say one thing about the SoC swapping tho, currently the guide says SB,SoC,SoC,SS,Mannoroth's fury which is great but if you stick an Extra Soul Burn in before the Soul Swap then you pass your DoTs around aswell as cleaving. I know your pressed for time on the seeds exploding but i find its manageable and that the seeds explode quicker so you can switch the Seeds back to a target that has not long been seeded; were as with cleaving rotation in this guide id imagine the seeds take a little longer to explode.

just the clarify it looks like this Soul Burn>Seed of Corruption>Seed of Corruption>Soul Burn>Soul Swap>Soul Swap>Mannoroth's Fury>Soul Swap ect.

Note: I will add tho the way I have displayed the cleave above does depend on not getting CC'd for even the smallest amount of time, or you can't exhale the seeds in time and they just explode and I have wasted two shards doing this.

Note: you can also do this without the second Soul Burn if you short on shards and just manually apply Agony, UA, Corruption.

#38 Hulkmane

Hulkmane
  • Members

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:10 PM

Is this info still valid for 5.4.8? Or should i forget everything i just read?

#39 Hulkmane

Hulkmane
  • Members

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:11 PM

Is this info still valid for 5.4.8? Or should i forget everything i just read?

#40 Maleficent

Maleficent
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Blackhand
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Affliction 0/0/0/2/0/0/0
  • 2v2: 1464
  • 3v3: 2249

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:07 PM

All valid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic