• Curse Premium
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Holy 0/2/1/2/2/0
  • 2v2: 288
  • 3v3: 960

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:45 PM

This is my first season playing a mage. I have a particularly hard time dealing damage when I am being trained, especially by teams like KFC. There are games in which I have to block within the first 15 seconds of the opener due to overwhelming pressure. I do not know how to pressure fast enough.

What I am doing (vs KFC):
Typically during the opener, I will pet nova and apply living bomb on the dps. I will blanket cs their healer and lance the hunter. Once I run out of procs I try to focus on kiting, spell stealing, and keeping LB on both DPS.

I rarely get an opportunity to build icicles by casting frostbolt. If we can get a target to around 50% I will usually have a CS ready for the healer to keep pressure high and force defensives. I think the main problem is getting reliable CC on the enemy team.

I try to lead the CC chain which causes me to spend too much time dying. I will juke the interrupt only to be stunned multiple times. By the time I can actually get any form of CC off, I need to back off and play defensive.

Unfortunately I am never able to catch any good streamers to learn from their gameplay. Maybe once a week I can catch a few games from Mitchjones or Jah. Should I focus less on trying to initialize CC and rely more on my teammates? How can I keep pressure up when I am being trained?

Thanks,

#2 Flavours

Flavours

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:15 PM

What comp are you playing?

KFC is very strong, but blocking in the first 15 seconds? That shouldn't be happening.

You want to start invisible, and poly the enemy healer, or Rof etc, to get the CC rolling, then spend the rest of the arena Kiting the dps into bad positions, and lining the hunter. If you're stood in the open spamming lance, you're going to fall over.

Make sure you're playing Temporal shield, too.

Also, not to mention im worried about you saying you stuggled to get CC off as a mage? You have an instant CC via pom, you have Roots that are on a seperate DR, and CC on different Schools (poly/RoF) not to mention poly has no CD and can be spammed. Deep, which can be used for CC, to get a poly off, or for damage. Your class should never have trouble with landing CC.

Edited by Aces, 07 March 2014 - 05:15 PM.

View Postisthisnametakenyet, on 18 August 2014 - 11:24 PM, said:

fucking scum why don't you just offer him help instead of being a dick

#3 Eleswon

Eleswon
  • Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:24 PM

Thanks for the reply. I am running WMD. I have been running blazing speed instead of PoM. Learning how to use roots more effectively is a priority I am working on. When I am kiting the dps, what should I be doing to get pressure out? What if CC'ing the healer out of invis puts me in a vulnerable position?

As far as burst goes, when my orb and procs are up I will let my warrior know about the switch. This is when I try to poly the healer or the other dps (depending on if my druid wants to clone the healer to help).

In practice, our team is trying to push damage and out pressure their dps. The enemy dps typically pop CDs and burst hard in the beginning. I suppose I could explore the idea of surviving the opening, kiting the warrior, and pillaring the hunter.

#4 Flavours

Flavours

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:41 PM

View PostEleswon, on 07 March 2014 - 05:24 PM, said:

Thanks for the reply. I am running WMD. I have been running blazing speed instead of PoM. Learning how to use roots more effectively is a priority I am working on. When I am kiting the dps, what should I be doing to get pressure out? What if CC'ing the healer out of invis puts me in a vulnerable position?

As far as burst goes, when my orb and procs are up I will let my warrior know about the switch. This is when I try to poly the healer or the other dps (depending on if my druid wants to clone the healer to help).

In practice, our team is trying to push damage and out pressure their dps. The enemy dps typically pop CDs and burst hard in the beginning. I suppose I could explore the idea of surviving the opening, kiting the warrior, and pillaring the hunter.

Well there are your answers right there. PoM > Blazing Speed in nearly all situations. Especially for Frost. Not to mention, you can't get CC off with a Warrior covering with 3x Stuns? And a Druid with Stun/Disorient/Clone?

When you're kiting do your rotation, run round pillars and get the DPS into bad places in LoS of their healers. Ccing out of invis could put you directly onto their DPS but you're a mage, you have instant huge damage, your team, especially as a WMD should have pressure all game. You can win in the opener.

Kiting and Pillaring are huge part of Arena. If the warrior follows you round a corner then you should be swapping immediately. If you're dying your team can peel with Cross cc, with one of your over 10 CCs. Your druid should be able to play offensive all game, and Clone the warrior off you etc. Especially if you're kiting them into bad positions.

#5 Eleswon

Eleswon
  • Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:59 PM

View PostAces, on 07 March 2014 - 05:41 PM, said:

When you're kiting do your rotation, run round pillars and get the DPS into bad places in LoS of their healers.

What is my rotation if I am running and have no procs? I am sure this is something that comes with experience, but right now I have no clue. I see your point on being able to CC effectively considering the CC my other teammates have. Synergizing better with my team would help a lot with this.

#6 Flavours

Flavours

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:03 PM

As i play a Warrior and not a mage myself, i can only point you in the direction of a Mage guide which has alot of information about Mages in 5.4.7 and gameplay tips. http://www.arenajunk...mage-guide-547/

#7 Eleswon

Eleswon
  • Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:30 PM

View PostAces, on 07 March 2014 - 06:03 PM, said:

As i play a Warrior and not a mage myself, i can only point you in the direction of a Mage guide which has alot of information about Mages in 5.4.7 and gameplay tips. http://www.arenajunk...mage-guide-547/

I'll go over that thread again. Thanks so much for your replies. This is very helpful.

#8 Forumz

Forumz
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Argent Dawn
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Talents: Shadow 0/1/0/1/./.
  • 2v2: 2627
  • 3v3: 2210
  • 5v5: 96
  • RBG: 768

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:33 PM

View PostAces, on 07 March 2014 - 05:41 PM, said:

PoM > Blazing Speed in nearly all situations.
I disagree. I think Blazing Speed can be amazing if used correctly, especially vs teams that go for the Mage.
Posted Image

#9 Flavours

Flavours

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:35 PM

View PostForumz, on 07 March 2014 - 06:33 PM, said:

I disagree. I think Blazing Speed can be amazing if used correctly, especially vs teams that go for the Mage.

As he plays WMD, i couldn't disagree more.

#10 Forumz

Forumz
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Argent Dawn
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Talents: Shadow 0/1/0/1/./.
  • 2v2: 2627
  • 3v3: 2210
  • 5v5: 96
  • RBG: 768

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:36 PM

View PostAces, on 07 March 2014 - 06:35 PM, said:

As he plays WMD, i couldn't disagree more.
I believe Nolifer plays almost exclusively with Blazing Speed when he plays WMD. So there's that.

The thing with Blazing Speed is that you can use it (or Blink) offensively, and still have another way out. You can reposition much more easily because of this and it in turn gives you far more CC opportunities, because you can quickly move into a spot where your cast cannot be prevented. When you play PoM, you don't have this option and it becomes much harder to reliably land CC outside of that one instant cast.

Edited by Forumz, 07 March 2014 - 07:37 PM.

Posted Image

#11 Eleswon

Eleswon
  • Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:15 PM

The last time I watched Mitchjones stream, he was running blazing speed. I saw how he used it to his advantage and it seemed like a very useful talent. Using it really helps me eat traps that the hunter tries to land on my druid. Although if I was more pre-emptive then I would be in a better position when they were moving towards burst/trap.

#12 Flavours

Flavours

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:44 PM

View PostEleswon, on 07 March 2014 - 08:15 PM, said:

The last time I watched Mitchjones stream, he was running blazing speed. I saw how he used it to his advantage and it seemed like a very useful talent. Using it really helps me eat traps that the hunter tries to land on my druid. Although if I was more pre-emptive then I would be in a better position when they were moving towards burst/trap.

Mitch plays it exclusively. @Evelin, this season he doesn't atleast, having watched him stream and having queued into him. (I lost :() As OP says they are struggling with CC, and Warrior CC being limited to Dring stuns and 1 fear, i find PoM would suit him much more.

In regard to eating traps, your warrior should be doing this with intervene & Leap.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<