• Orcclass_name
  • EU-Kazzak
  • Misery
  • Talents: Enhancement 0/2/2/1/0/2
  • 3v3: 1921
  • 5v5: 480

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:52 PM

I think they are referring to this math:

100 damage reduced by 80% baseline will be 20 damage.
If you add the 200 resil and get to 81% damage reduction you will take 19 damage which is 5% less than 20.
So that 1% extra on resilience reduces the damage you take compared to baseline resil by 5%.

While that is how it works with those numbers... those numbers are wrong.

Base resi + trinket bonus + meta gem = 80.38% reduction.

Base resi + trinket bonus + meta gem + Chest Enchant = 80.47% reduction.

That equates to an additional 0.46% damage reduction. It's still decent imo.

#22 Eleswon

Eleswon
  • Premium
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Holy 0/2/1/2/2/0
  • 2v2: 288
  • 3v3: 960

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:21 PM

While that is how it works with those numbers... those numbers are wrong.

Base resi + trinket bonus + meta gem = 80.38% reduction.

Base resi + trinket bonus + meta gem + Chest Enchant = 80.47% reduction.

That equates to an additional 0.46% damage reduction. It's still decent imo.

Of course, just trying to guess where the original thought was coming from.

#23 watchmepwn

watchmepwn
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Frost 1/1/0/2/2/2/2
  • 2v2: 1644
  • 3v3: 2260
  • RBG: 1142

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:28 PM

melee/caster = Frost Armor imo.

#24 Np-

Np-
  • Junkies
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Brewmaster 0/./././././.

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:41 PM

Why does no one suggest flameglow? If you do the math, it often reduces the same amount of damage you heal/reduce during temp shield(even assuming it does not get dispelled, too) and has the added bonus of also reducing damage the entire game.

Highly consider using it vs hunters, dks, locks, rogues, enh shammans. For every roughly ~5-6k attack you reduce 1000 of it. For higher attacks, up to 2000, and works for every attack. When you die to a team, check your combat log and see if from the start of dying to the point you died if flameglow would not have done better to keep you alive. You fill find very often vs rogues, locks, dks, hunters, enh shammans it would have,

#25 dominera

dominera
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Frost 0/0/0/2/1/2
  • 2v2: 2055
  • 3v3: 2256
  • 5v5: 768
  • RBG: 1684
  • LocationSweden

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:44 PM

Why does no one suggest flameglow? If you do the math, it often reduces the same amount of damage you heal/reduce during temp shield(even assuming it does not get dispelled, too) and has the added bonus of also reducing damage the entire game.

Highly consider using it vs hunters, dks, locks, rogues, enh shammans. For every roughly ~5-6k attack you reduce 1000 of it. For higher attacks, up to 2000, and works for every attack. When you die to a team, check your combat log and see if from the start of dying to the point you died if flameglow would not have done better to keep you alive. You fill find very often vs rogues, locks, dks, hunters, enh shammans it would have,

Flameglow used to be pretty good a few patches ago but due to the changes to this tier you cant really compare them, temp shield is alot better. If you only look at the damage reduction temporal is much better at resisting burst, and as you know this game is all about burst.

Also take into consideration that temporal can be used at your own choosing, it obviously has a higher skill cap and the reward is alot higher than Flameglow can ever provide. If you then add the healing that temporal offers it's clear that temp shield is the winner, no doubt about that.

#26 Dizzeeyo

Dizzeeyo
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Frost 0/2/0/2/2/2
  • RBG: 2274

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:02 PM

Flameglow used to be pretty good a few patches ago but due to the changes to this tier you cant really compare them, temp shield is alot better. If you only look at the damage reduction temporal is much better at resisting burst, and as you know this game is all about burst.

Also take into consideration that temporal can be used at your own choosing, it obviously has a higher skill cap and the reward is alot higher than Flameglow can ever provide. If you then add the healing that temporal offers it's clear that temp shield is the winner, no doubt about that.

against some comps flameglow is most definitely better after the temporal shield healing nerf

No because the difference is when I play a comp i play it close to skill cap

if anyone needs to be banned, it's you. You do nothing but sit on AJ being a passive aggressive idiot that nobody likes, sorry you stink of washing up liquid.

Feel free to call me an idiot because I'm a hunter or some stupid ass remark but I've actually written all this down on paper

I actually made an appearance at DH2014 and I met up with people from twitch who were involved with the dota 2 / cs tournies that where there, I talked about the game from my perspective as a professional player and we actually shared a lot of opinions. All I'm saying is a lot of people will be VERY surprised about the future of this game in the esport world :)

#27 Attono

Attono
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Bloodhoof
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Subtlety 0/2/2/2/0/1/0
  • 2v2: 2383
  • 3v3: 2889
  • RBG: 2330

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:48 PM

nice guide

Edited by Attono, 05 March 2014 - 09:49 PM.

#28 Sectionx

Sectionx
  • Members

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:45 PM

Hello, I just wanted to add about Incanter's Ward, since there is a lot of confusion about this spell. If you use it in pvp environment where battle fatigue applies, it will always give you 9% damage buff. That's probably cause it counts the reduction from battle fatigue as "damage absorbed" relative to the power of the spell. So I guess if you are going to burst right out of stealth, then you can prepop it if you feel that the 3% increase is significant. I'm not high rated so I don't know if it's a good idea or not.

#29 Nilen

Nilen
  • Members

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:38 AM

Hello, I just wanted to add about Incanter's Ward, since there is a lot of confusion about this spell. If you use it in pvp environment where battle fatigue applies, it will always give you 9% damage buff. That's probably cause it counts the reduction from battle fatigue as "damage absorbed" relative to the power of the spell. So I guess if you are going to burst right out of stealth, then you can prepop it if you feel that the 3% increase is significant. I'm not high rated so I don't know if it's a good idea or not.

Just to get the numbers clear: The 9% you're referring to, is that the increase when IA kicks in - from 6% to 15%? Becuase base IW damage increase is 6%, right? If that's the case, what are the extra 3%, you mention? And at any rate, it is reasonably easy to get the full IA effect since it doesn't require much more than a tickle, so even if you're bursting right out of stealth, you should get into IA pretty fast, right?

#30 Sectionx

Sectionx
  • Members

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:13 PM

The 9% is the total increase. When you use Ward you lose the passive, and get the active. The active is 9%. The extra 3% is relelvant to the passive. 9% active vs 6% passive. If you enter the arena, while in preparation, use IW on yourself and you'll see, you get 9% active buff.

The reason I posted this is because I was reading a thread about rmd that bursts out of stealth and the mages said that they pop iw before stealth and it caused confusion.

And yes you are right, its really easy to get a full absorb bonus cause it absorbs like 15k damage.

#31 OzCymru

OzCymru
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Earthen Ring
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Frost 1/1/2/2/2/2/2
  • 2v2: 1638
  • 3v3: 2146
  • RBG: 1609

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:51 PM

Will we be switching to gemming 320 haste as we get more gear like frost does in pve, or will int still remain superior at 550?

#32 dominera

dominera
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • LocationSweden

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:39 PM

Will we be switching to gemming 320 haste as we get more gear like frost does in pve, or will int still remain superior at 550?

Yes int > haste

#33 Dizzeeyo

Dizzeeyo
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:45 PM

a frost pve log is around 30% - 40% frostbolt

a pvp frost log is around 3% - 4% frostbolt

also you dont use bindings of immerseus in pvp

that being said, gemming haste as frost in pvp is almost as much fun as it was in wotlk :)

Edited by Dizzeeyo, 20 March 2014 - 08:46 PM.

if anyone needs to be banned, it's you. You do nothing but sit on AJ being a passive aggressive idiot that nobody likes, sorry you stink of washing up liquid.

Feel free to call me an idiot because I'm a hunter or some stupid ass remark but I've actually written all this down on paper

I actually made an appearance at DH2014 and I met up with people from twitch who were involved with the dota 2 / cs tournies that where there, I talked about the game from my perspective as a professional player and we actually shared a lot of opinions. All I'm saying is a lot of people will be VERY surprised about the future of this game in the esport world :)

#34 OzCymru

OzCymru
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Earthen Ring
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Frost 1/1/2/2/2/2/2
  • 2v2: 1638
  • 3v3: 2146
  • RBG: 1609

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:46 PM

Ok cheers :)

#35 Sectionx

Sectionx
  • Members

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:06 AM

What about when you reach gcd cap with icy veins, is haste still better for faster polymoprhs? I'd guess no, but what do you guys think?

#36 Asol

Asol
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Fire 0/2/0/2/1/0
  • 2v2: 948

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:41 PM

I don't think you're ever going to reach haste cap, so that shouldn't be an issue? ;o

LOL the hilarious part is, whether i read his full post or not, it wouldnt have made a difference,

-inmotionx thoughts about reading topics before posting his opinion.

#37 Dizzeeyo

Dizzeeyo
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:57 PM

I don't think you're ever going to reach haste cap, so that shouldn't be an issue? ;o

why buy an rbg boost to 2.3k only? :o

Edited by Dizzeeyo, 21 March 2014 - 02:59 PM.

#38 kannetixx

kannetixx
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Fire
  • RBG: 768
  • LocationFlorida yee

Posted 22 March 2014 - 05:22 AM

a frost pve log is around 30% - 40% frostbolt

a pvp frost log is around 3% - 4% frostbolt

also you dont use bindings of immerseus in pvp

that being said, gemming haste as frost in pvp is almost as much fun as it was in wotlk :)

im all about fun.. but does anything actually die?
US-Kel'Thuzad - Kannetix

http://www.anook.com/kannetix

www.twitch.tv/kannetix - Gladiator Mage Stream follow me and see when i go live!

#39 Maleficent

Maleficent
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Blackhand
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Affliction 0/0/0/2/0/0/0
  • 2v2: 1464
  • 3v3: 2249

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:18 AM

What are thoughts on professions? Was thinking Herbalism and Engineering.

#40 dominera

dominera
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • LocationSweden

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:06 PM

What are thoughts on professions? Was thinking Herbalism and Engineering.

I think its mostly based on personal preference. Some mages like to have passive int while some, like me, like to have procs/on use. If you are undead I think engi + X is best so you can have both trinket and on use, but if you go double dps trinket then its not a must. If you are playing human its more of your own choice, as long as you have something that gives passive int or proc/on use. Herbalism is not good.

I use tailoring cause I like the proc, most people go with alchemy cause its the cheapest to lvl. Just remember that if you do go tailoring you will lose 500 passive int (180 from cloak enchant + 320 from another prof). If you like playing around procs then go with tailoring if you dont like it then go with passive int

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<