• Curse Sites
Help

Shadow 5.4.7 Guide

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 jaimex

jaimex

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:51 PM

Hey there, some of you may remember I posted a guide back in 5.4 but it never got updated due to that account getting banned slightly later. So, I'll repost it here with the necessary changes for 5.4.7.
Also, even though atm I don't have a sp, I still feel I know enough about my old main to post a guide, esp. since the current sticky is 3 patches out of date. The rest is just copy/pasta after this point with the required changes

Introduction
Hi there - as the other guide is now outdated and it doesn't look like Neyz is active anymore I decided to put this together. As neyz also said in his guide, I am by far not one of the best priests but a lot of changes have happened since 5.2 so I want to give a rough outline. I'll also be copying vanguard's format as it looks clean. So without further ado, let's begin.

Shadow Guide (5.4.7)

Important Changes for Shadow in 5.4.7
General:
Leap of Faith no longer has a positional/facing requirement.
Shadow Word Death does 15% more damage
Shadow Word Pain does 25% more damage
Feathers are now a 80% speed boost
Psyfiend now has 75% less health, and no longer benefits from haste

Increased Resi to 80%

Shadow Specific:
Shadowform no longer reduces damage taken by 15%, but increases armor by 60%
VT now deals 20% more damage

Shadow Apps cannot be killed anymore
FDCL now has a additional 5% chance to proc for shadow
Dark Binding is now baseline

Reflective Shield now reflects 70% of the damage absorbed, up from 45%

I have highlighted the really important changes.

Talents
Posted Image

Tier 1
Clear winner here for me is psyfiend. Previously I chose void tendrils but as I faced more and more teams I found psyfiend is just better. I recommend using a shield macro for it, which I will cover in my macro section, and it is just as unkillable as last patch. Use psyfiend agressively vs non hunter teams, out of range of melee if needed, or defensively vs hunters as you can put your psyfiend just over a hunter trap and the psyfiend can 'eat' the trap. The only time I recommend void tendrils would be say vs a dk/rogue/priest that has no way out of roots OR if you are playing with a melee easily peeled like a dk and you want to train something, can be useful to root a resto shaman if you are playing Unholyplay for example. Otherwise it is not worth it. Likewise, never take mind control as shadow in 3s.

Tier 2
As before, I think there is a real dominant choice here. Since 5.4 feathers are now a 80% increase in speed, which makes you effectively immune to slows if you use it correctly. Feathers + guise is overpowered for getting fears on healers. Time your guise/feather with the end of a hamstring/chains of ice and sprint and you can cross the map ridiculously quickly. I would take phantasm vs mage teams that train you in conjunction with the fade glyph, when you don't have freedom on your team (i.e godcomp.)

Tier 3
This is arguably the tier where you have the most choice. As mentioned above, FDCL now has a 20% chance to proc every time your VT ticks. This means theoretically every 5 ticks of your VT you will be granted one spike proc! Although, sometimes dependent on comp I personally believe insanity is still 100% better. If I am playing either godcomp or Melee/Sp/Rshaman I play insanity as the small burst windows in stuns are very important. Dotcleaves and RNG Damage comps I prefer spikes though.

Tier 4
One real choice here, that is spectral guise. Not only is this very good for getting fears, if you time a shield/feather with this you can get away from most melee easily (read: not warriors). The other two are just not worth it as shadow as both are affected by battle fatigue.

Tier 5
It looks like there is a pattern here, isn't there. Once again, clear choice is DI. Power infusion can be spellstolen/the long cd doesn't work well with most of our partners. If you play with a mage, it could be semi viable if you turtle until you have 3 orbs and global in the first deep, but I personally do not see PI being viable.

Tier 6
Divine star. The amount of lockdown in the game and the long cd/mana cost of halo means getting VTs and the consequent mana returns means it is nearly impossible to stay high mana if you play halo. Also, considering the interrupts and the ability to cast divine star when locked out makes it a great 'ohshit' heal along with pom for around 70-80k if both crit.

Glyphs
Mandatory Glyphs:
Glyph of Prayer of Mending
Glyph of Fade
Optional Glyphs:
Glyph of Inner Fire
Glyph of Inner Sanctum
Glyph of Mass Dispel

When to which glyph:
Inner Fire; always take this when there is a melee on the opposing team.
Inner Sanctum; always take if you are vs a double caster team or melee/caster with no better 3rd glyph.
Mass Dispel: Use vs mage/paladin teams that you do not need anything else. Can also be useful vs warlocks who play dark bargain.
Mind Blast: Very useful if your team has no slows and no better 3rd.

Enchants / Gems / Reforges
Enchants:
Shoulder: Greater Crane Wing Inscription
Back: Greater Intellect
Chest:  Glorious Stats
Bracer: Super Intellect
Gloves: Greater Haste
Belt: Living Steel Belt Buckle
Legs: Greater Pearlescent Spellthread as anything except for human, if you are human (1% extra spirit) go for Greater Cerculean Spellthread
Boots: Pandaren's Step
MH: Jade Spirit/Spirit of Conquest
OH: Major Intellect

Gems:
Red: 320 Haste
Yellow: 320 Haste
Blue: 320 Haste
Meta: 665 Resi + 775 Power / 3% Crit and Intellect

Reforges:
6% Spell Hit (Spirit) > Haste > Crit > Mastery

Offpieces
Use the mooncloth gloves as they give haste instead of crit and get your 4 set via the other satin pieces.
Neck: of Alacrity
Back: of Cruelty
Bracers: of Prowess
Belt: of Meditation
Boots: of Alacrity

General Playstyle Tips
Stay in Inner Fire and Shadowform 100% of the time.
If your healer is getting trained, position yourself far away from him, say between two pillars so you can grip him out of trouble.
Prioritise casting mind blast over casting dots for most comps (prio dots for shadowplay/boomy sp though.)
Keep Prayer of Mending and Shield on cooldown on the other team's target.
Try and fear resto shamans early to get tremor out of the way!
If you are playing insanity and land a 3 orb, but get a mind blast proc at the same time, use it before you start channelling insanity, this provides more burst.
Do not mind blast into a immunity/deter or reflects. These do not grant shadow orbs. Same goes for Shadow Word: Death.

Macros
These are in no particular order and are just taken in the order they were in my /macros tab.
1) Healer Shield
#showtooltip
/cast [@HEALERNAME] Power Word: Shield

2) Dps Shield
#showtooltip
/cast [@DPSNAME] Power Word: Shield

3) Buff
#showtooltip
/cast power word: fortitude
/script SetRaidTarget("zehjune", 6)
/script SetRaidTarget("yournamehere", 8)
/script SetRaidTarget("freshfreefly", 5)
/script SetRaidTarget("johnyblaze", 1)
/script SetRaidTarget("foxius", 2)

4) Shackle (This also shows the tooltip of your Tier 6 talent.)
#showtooltip
/cast [@mouseover] Shackle Undead
/script n_vt=GetSpellInfo(121135); n_pf=GetSpellInfo(110744); n_dm=GetSpellInfo(120517)
/run SetMacroSpell("shackle", GetSpellInfo(n_vt) or GetSpellInfo(n_pf) or GetSpellInfo(n_dm))

5) Level 15/Psyfiend Macro (Note, the macro must be called '15 Talents' for this to work.)
#showtooltip
/cast Void Tendrils
/cast Psyfiend
/cast Dominate Mind
/script n_vt=GetSpellInfo(108920); n_pf=GetSpellInfo(108921); n_dm=GetSpellInfo(605)
/run SetMacroSpell("15 Talents", GetSpellInfo(n_vt) or GetSpellInfo(n_pf) or GetSpellInfo(n_dm))

6) Disperse
#showtooltip
/cast Dispersion
/use healthstone
/use grevious gladiator's emblem of tenacity

7) Healer Pom
#showtooltip
/cast [@HEALERNAME] Prayer of Mending

8) DPS Pom
#showtooltip
/cast [@DPSNAME] Prayer of Mending

9) Healer Grip
#showtooltip
/cast [@HEALERNAME] Leap of Faith

10) DPS Grip
#showtooltip
/cast [@DPSNAME] Leap of Faith

11) Focus Horror
#showtooltip Psychic Horror
/stopcasting
/stopcasting
/cast [@focus] Psychic Horror

12) Focus Silence
#showtooltip
/cast [@focus] Silence

13) Shield Self
#showtooltip fear ward
/cast [@yournamehere] power word: shield

14) Purge Focus
#showtooltip
/cast [@focus] Dispel Magic

15) Psyfiend Shield
#showtooltip Prayer of Mending
/targetexact Psyfiend
/cast [harm] Mind Blast
/cast [help] Power Word: Shield

Spriest Comps
Tier 1
1. Godcomp. Simply the best for a sp atm. But gl finding a mage :P
2. Shatter (Godcomp with hpala or shaman) imo hpala is better atm, but shaman works too. Mage, once again, is hard to find.
3. RPS. Very good control and survivability with the resilience buff. Will degrade over time with more and more gear.
4. Shadowplay. Easily t1 this patch once everyone gets gear. Spread pressure is insane, similar to cata.
5. WPS. Extremely high burst with nice swaps. Pretty strong.
6. FPS. Not sure, haven't played this/against it but heard it was pretty strong so.
Good Spriest Streams
Not many priests stream right now, but among them are
twitch.tv/talbadar - occasionally plays his priest
twitch.tv/khryl - occasionally streams.
http://www.twitch.tv/jahmillionaire - Jah <3

And that is it. I know it was a little long, but I hope you have learned something from it. Good luck & thanks for reading! As I said, I haven't played shadow for a bit so I probably missed something. Feel free to point it out :D

Edited by jaimex, 02 March 2014 - 01:59 PM.

#2 Samyh

Samyh

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:05 PM

[img]http://i.imgur.com/FVOQhS6.png[/img]

I fixed it for you

Also, WPS is a great comp atm, add that

Edited by Samyh, 01 March 2014 - 05:06 PM.

#3 jaimex

jaimex

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:06 PM

Yeah thanks, forgot to check the images <3 will also add WPS, hadn't seen it so.

#4 Doseisfresh

Doseisfresh
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Moon Guard
  • Emberstorm
  • Talents: Retribution 1/0/0/2/0/2
  • RBG: 192

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:10 PM

Something useful from Jaime?  The world is ending.  

Real talk though, good job.
Posted Image

#5 jaimex

jaimex

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:32 PM

Thanks <3

#6 dominera

dominera
  • Premium Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Frost 0/0/0/2/1/2
  • 2v2: 1586
  • 3v3: 1833
  • RBG: 1686
  • LocationSweden

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:43 PM

I think you should add Jah to sp streams, he plays it pretty often and he is godmode on it.

[url="http://www.twitch.tv/jahmillionaire"]http://www.twitch.tv/jahmillionaire[/url]

#7 Dahjy

Dahjy
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Shadow 1/1/2/1/2/1
  • 2v2: 1615
  • 3v3: 2206
  • RBG: 2125

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:45 PM

Good guide, you should also add WW/spriest/rsham to list, it was descent last season it will be even better this season with the indirect buffs from other classes nerfs
Twitch.tv/Dahjy  WW monk / Ret arena/rbgs

#8 midney

midney
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Shadow 1/1/0/1/2/1
  • 2v2: 1652
  • RBG: 1692

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:53 PM

nice guide ty <3

#9 jaimex

jaimex

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:56 PM

Thanks guys ;D

#10 Vanguards

Vanguards
  • Administrators
  • Curse Premium
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Korgath
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Retribution 1/0/0/2/0/2
  • 2v2: 2196
  • 3v3: 2772
  • 5v5: 384

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:14 PM

Thanks for the guide! Stickied.
http://twitch.tv/VanguardsTV- Stream (Follow to know when I'm live!)
http://twitter.com/VanguardsTV- Twitter
http://facebook.com/Samk920 - Facebook

http://youtube.com/SamK920 - YouTube Videos

#11 jaimex

jaimex

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:35 PM

glad you liked it ;)

#12 AndrewB

AndrewB

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:42 PM

Good stuff. I thought it was pretty interesting that you think shadowplay might make a comeback, fingers crossed.

#13 jaimex

jaimex

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:11 AM

Yeah, shadow and warlock both benefit from the increased haste really well - looks great for 5 weeks from now.

#14 RuruLeMecano

RuruLeMecano
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Archimonde
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • 2v2: 1681
  • 3v3: 1860
  • RBG: 1121

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:06 AM

Hi, for godcomp, what are the best talents ?? (FDCL/ Insanity - Halo/DivineStar)
And RPS ? (FDCL/ Insanity - Halo/DivineStar)

#15 jaimex

jaimex

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:32 AM

Both comps/talents are situational.
As RPS play divine star always, the chances of breaking a cc with halo is just too large for it to be good imo.
Otherwise vs melee teams as both comps play spikes when vs a warrior/rogue or insanity versus anything else.
Vs Casters as either comp go insanity (EXCEPT Mage Ele, the amount of interrupts from this comp is too damn high!) and halo. Halo is also good pretty much against everything except KFC, then play divine star for the large self heal. Halo burst combined with a mage icelancespam and 3 orb is generally enough to global something quickly. That being said, you really need a feel for the range. The difference between the damage/heal from 25 and 35 yards is immense.

#16 Virent

Virent
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • 2v2: 2132
  • 3v3: 2317
  • RBG: 1827
  • LocationBulgaria

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:54 PM

Add FPS as well btw, it's a good comp again. Played it and went 15-1 with 1 really lame loss. Most games against good players as well. Not sure how good it will be with weapons tho.
Posted Image

#17 jaimex

jaimex

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:59 PM

Thanks, added.

#18 stickyjam

stickyjam
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Ravenholdt
  • Misery
  • Talents: Shadow

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:01 AM

Worth noting that for the +3 break points humans need to go haste/hit ring AND haste/spirit.

Everyone else can gear normally as the medallion reforged to haste gives you that bit of extra haste you need that the humans need the extra haste ring for.

#19 jaimex

jaimex

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:07 AM

More haste>everything though, I use that ring anyway.

#20 Toiletbreath

Toiletbreath
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Restoration 0/2/0/1/0/0
  • 2v2: 1622
  • 3v3: 2028
  • RBG: 1845

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:14 PM

This may or may not be within the scope of this guide, but what talents do you use for rbgs? I've been rolling with mostly the same skills I would use in 3v3 (always taking FDCL over insanity), except for grabbing Cascade instead of Divine Star. I'm also considering using Twist of Fate over Divine Insight. Thoughts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<