Demonology Warlock Guide (5.4.7)

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#41 glonglon

glonglon
  • Members

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:40 PM

[quote name='Eviaax' timestamp='1393874213' post='4070525']
In some cases you could run imp as main pet too if your playin with a class that has plenty of stuns such as a rogue. Double imp damage
[/quote]

If you play with an imp as main pet you're obliged to pick dark bargain instead of soul link, imp is our pet with the smallest hp pool (only 200k hp), if you play soul link with an imp he'll always die. Also Without the 20% passive damage reduction from soul link you'll be a lot less tanky.

I would never recommend to do 3s with an imp as main pet.

However in 2s you can, petskill did it when he was playing frostmage/demo :)

PS :

Also when playing with an imp, glyph of demon training is mandatory so you lose a glyph slot :(

Posted Image

#42 Eviaax

Eviaax
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Destruction 0/1/2/0/2/0
  • 2v2: 1711
  • 3v3: 2312

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:57 PM

Bargain > soulink IMO . I'll give a rundown of what I like to use and why when I get back from work. Lol this typing on phone ain't cutting it.
Highest Rated Demonology Lock US
Twitch: Http://www.twitch.tv/eeviaa
YouTube: Http://www.youtube.com/eviaax
Twitter: @eviaademo

#43 glonglon

glonglon
  • Members

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:13 PM

View PostEviaax, on 03 March 2014 - 07:57 PM, said:

Bargain > soulink IMO

Imho, Dark bargain+Imp is good for 2s if your partner already has a reliable stun but for 3s soul link+felguard is better and soul link+wrathguard is mandatory in 3s if your team doesn't have any mortal strike debuff.

Also don't forget that Dark bargain can be mass dispelled or abused by your opponents (e.g a good druid will cyclone you when you'll use it).

To conclude, Soul link is the most efficient & reliable damage mitigation talent.

Regards.

Posted Image

#44 Eviaax

Eviaax
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:27 PM

Yes but but running link will make u a better target for kills. Pets die to easily to run link. I like to have an "oh shit" button wen needed. Link also makes pet more valuable to kill. I feel as if my pet is to valuable and to squishy to run link as demo.  Yes on paper link with eternal resolve is good to have but if you use port gate and heals properly you should be fine.  There will be points when you will not be able to re summon pet and in that period of time you will be main kill target. I use bargain as a negation from opposing teams CDs on me and I found it to be of more value to me then link. That's just my opinion and what I like. I know not everyone will agree. That's just my opinion and alternative view.

#45 glonglon

glonglon
  • Members

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:52 AM

View PostEviaax, on 03 March 2014 - 08:27 PM, said:

That's just my opinion and what I like. I know not everyone will agree. That's just my opinion and alternative view.

Play what you like man, if you are having more success with a dark bargain playstyle then stick with it :)

If you browse the armory, you'll notice that all the top rated affliction warlocks (blukstack, snutz, chanimals...) are playing with soul link+observer and the glyph of eternal resolve.

Regards.

Posted Image

#46 Eviaax

Eviaax
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:40 AM

Yah it's preference really. Having success with it it ATM. Only demo lock on ladders with 2100 at 2.2k+ mmr. It's all preference really and can be situational based on comp facing

#47 glonglon

glonglon
  • Members

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:36 AM

@Eviaax,

Could you share your strategies as demo/hunter/healer like sosseri did for the demo/enhance/healer comp ? I'll add them to the guide.

Posted Image

#48 Eviaax

Eviaax
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:41 AM

Yes no problem ill make one in free time while at work tomorrow

#49 Eviaax

Eviaax
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:48 PM

WARNING: WRITTEN ON PHONE***
HLD as Demonology (2450+ exp as this comp)
This is a very strong comp and one of my favorites to run as Demonology and possibly the best in my opinion.  For this comp the hunter may play MM or Survival. I prefer survival for the constant pressure on enemy targets and is a good fill in when my burst is down. As for healer, the druid can be swapped for with a sham, monk, pally.

Pros-
Powerful CC chains
Strong Burst
Peels

Cons-
Hard to keep constant pressure if CC’s are not executed
This comp has to be played aggressively which can put you in bad positioning and a venerable target to get swapped on.
Hunter gets pooped on

Glyphs
Glyph of Fear- I use this glyph so that Hunter can trap off my fears. Instead of stunning with axe toss into trap, I could use stun on kill target.
Imp Swarm- No explanation needed
Demon Training- For Grimoire of service/Burst
Talents
Dark Regeneration
Mortal Coil
Dark Bargain
Unbound Will (to escape cc to get crucial cc on opposing team) / Blood Horror
Grimoire of Service- Imp (for maximum burst and reason why I use demon training as a glyph for the 3 round fire bolts)
Archimondes Darkness- Duh double dark soul

Strat-
The main goal of this comp is to cc heals and go on a DPS target. We NEVER go heals. It’s crucial while running this comp that we get cc out on heals as soon as possible so that we can use our offensive cool downs immediately to get defensive cool downs from them off the bat. Also were going need those offensive cool downs back up ASAP if we don’t get a kill. So the quicker their back up the better shot we have at winning the game. Gate is obviously a must due to the aggressive play style of this comp. You have to know when to play defensively when you there are no kill opportunities.
The hunter or I will set up cc chain on healer depending on who has a better opportunity. I prefer that I start off cc with a howl into a fear so that the healer can get trapped off of my fear (Glyph of Fear). If we can do that, then most likely we won the game. The possibilities are endless for cc on healer now just because of that opener. On first cc is when I pop my entire cool downs. This includes imp swarm, trinket, dark soul, and Grim of Service (imp). I dot kill target with corruption, hand of gul x2 and doom. That gives me time so that I can keep very strong pressure on target while going back to cc healer if needed.  If my cc is not needed I will go into Meta and use touch of chaos for optimal pressure. Like I said we have so many ways to control the healer that sometimes I can apply all my burst on target. We have:
Howl of terror
Fear
Sleep
Silence
Trap
Scatter
Clone
Coil
Bash
Axe Stun
Carrion Swarm interrupts/ Knock off
This is more than enough cc to have control on the healer for the whole game. So even after burst is done you are able to still apply pressure to your target. Usually if I see the chance to kill the enemy target after my burst I will immediately pop my second dark soul and spam touch of chaos. This is assuming that the cc chain is still going on healer. If not then we wait to get another cc setup on healer so I could pop my second dark soul. If my cc is not needed I will use mortal coil on kill target to get a trinket from him at around 50% then immediately stun him which usually equals a kill. This is the main reason I don’t like to use my stun into a trap. However if I see that it is difficult to cc healer because of LOS I will use stun so I can get that fear off. Usually against shaman healers I won’t bother fearing him but I will let hunter get a sleep off so hopefully that forces a tremor so that we can get a full fear on him afterword.
The burst we have is unpredictable and can change a game completely. We can be completely losing the match and look as if 100% no chance at coming back, but as soon as that chain cc goes out n burst is up its game.
As for kill targets, really anything is a viable option except healers. Really any target you know you can kill immediately or get the most defensive cool downs out of in the shortest amount of time. Usually the healer will be sitting cc at this point and makes for an easy kill.
If the opposing team has a lock then the hunter has to do anything in its power to stop their gate. If that happens it creates an opportunity to go lock if it’s the best target. This would be usually against and LSD team. Even teams such as RMP which will be hard for us to get cc out on healer because of stealth is not bad. If priest opens with fear I immediately un bound will howl and pop cds on mage. This is to counter their opener so they have to play defensively on their cool downs. After we pop cool downs then we set up cc chain on priest. The hunter or I will first get off ward (possibly already off from initial howl) and then feared. I stun rogue and unending resolve silence so it’s a guarantee cc. The priest usually then trinkets that fear due to the pressure that we have and by then I’m already casting my next fear which then leads into our never ending cc. Even when mage blocks the priest will still be cc’d by the time he’s out.
Melee cleaves are pretty easy as they basically have to play very offensive which creates terrible positioning for whatever the target you choose may be. Also don’t be afraid to choose rogues as a main kill target. There’s not much they can do defensively and can literally get killed in one stun.
LSD and LSD2- These are very hard counters because of the peels and utilities they have. Against LSD with ele the best target to go is lock. For LSD2 the best target to go is boomy.
If there is a hunter on the opposing team that will ALWAYS be your main kill target and go to guy. Hunter s get dominitated by this comp.
WLS –Warrior is main target
I am literally writing this all on my phone so I will add more when back. Please feel free to ask any questions.

#50 Eviaax

Eviaax
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:30 PM

If you also want to add my stream to streams I'll be playing not only hld but a variety of comps as demo www.twitch.tv/eeviaa

#51 glonglon

glonglon
  • Members

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:48 PM

@Eviaax,

Thanks for your feedback It was interesting to read. I'll add your feedback about this comp to the guide.

View PostEviaax, on 04 March 2014 - 05:30 PM, said:

If you also want to add my stream to streams I'll be playing not only hld but a variety of comps as demo www.twitch.tv/eeviaa

Done.

Posted Image

#52 Eviaax

Eviaax
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:50 PM

Btw that's jus my personal preference/setup as hld there are a variety of other ways you can play hld suitable for you including talents and glyphs

#53 Eviaax

Eviaax
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:51 PM

View Postglonglon, on 04 March 2014 - 06:48 PM, said:

@Eviaax,

Thanks for your feedback It was interesting to read. I'll add your feedback about this comp to the guide.

Done.

Thank you. Wasn't able to add everything because couldn't continue to write on my phone but if there's anything I missed let me know

#54 glonglon

glonglon
  • Members

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:16 PM

Seems ok for me, I added your feedback to the guide, if you think there is some missing stuff feel free to share :)

Do you stream often ?

Posted Image

#55 Eviaax

Eviaax
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:21 PM

I used to stream a lot but work in winter is rough. But hopefully all the snow is done ill stream tonight for the hell of it.

#56 Slaggy

Slaggy
  • LocationThird World New Zealand

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:28 PM

Think Demo + Arms Warrior + Tree is viable. constant pressure from warrior chewing away at something + lock pet and 1 minute burst windows? LEss sustained but more burst than affliction

#57 Eviaax

Eviaax
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:38 PM

It is a lot more constant pressure  having a war. But what lacks most with playing a war is cc. Too many drs. I will argue all day that no matter what the leader board says about damage at the end of the game, it's not about who does the most damage that always wins games but how you setup and execute a kill.

#58 Slaggy

Slaggy
  • LocationThird World New Zealand

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:19 PM

ty for the answer. Affliction it (still) is than :P

#59 Eviaax

Eviaax
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:37 PM

View PostSlaggy, on 04 March 2014 - 09:19 PM, said:

ty for the answer. Affliction it (still) is than :P

Lol np

#60 Eviaax

Eviaax
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:04 AM

Here is a clip from Benjiowns Stream yesterday against our HLM. This is an example of a good executed kill against a hunter.
http://www.twitch.tv...iaa/b/508305824

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

<