• Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Retribution 1/0/1/2/2/2
  • 2v2: 1586
  • 3v3: 96

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:51 PM

Hey all

I'm a returning Retadin strictly for PvP and after using last season to get accustomed to the level of burst in MoP and getting a decent understanding of all the new abilities and talents by class, I'm planning on attempting a Gladiator run in this new season.  For reference, I have a highest PR of 2654 as Ret (S8 I believe) and used to regularly be 2300+ so I'm not new to the spec as far as Arena is concerned.

That said, what would you say is the strongest comp for a Ret right now?  Is Vanguards Cleave still strong?  I have a Resto Druid friend who wants to run RDruid/Ret/DK.  Do you feel this comp is Gladiator-capable?  I may be incorrect but I thought Vanguards Cleave utilizes a Priest healer.

Thanks in advance.

#2 Dahjy

Dahjy
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Shadow 1/1/2/1/2/1
  • 2v2: 1615
  • 3v3: 2206
  • RBG: 2125

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:51 PM

Vanguard cleave isn't too great atm, it has good damage but Dks and Rets are both rather squishy and don't have amazing mobility so it would be pretty easy to shut them down vs good teams.

Your best bet is Ret/mm hunt/ sham or priest

Ret is pretty limited to comps (at least last lesson) as running with a hunter is your only choice.
Twitch.tv/Dahjy  WW monk / Ret arena/rbgs

#3 Tharvolde

Tharvolde
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:48 AM

Thanks, Dahj.  I did some Arms/Ret/HPal today just messing around.  We dubbed it "Freedom Cleave".  It went fair but it was same old, same old for Ret's in 3s.  Every comp we faced, from the moment they came out of the gate, trained me from start to finish.  This may seem an exaggeration but it really wasn't - every comp, every time (except one UH/Aff/RSham team that AIDS'd everyone up) trained me literally every second of every game.

So, with that said, how do Ret's these days survive this?  I consider myself pretty good at kiting as a Ret but while I'm kiting I'm also not doing much in the way of damage which simply postpones the inevitable as they'll never have to go defensive and can continue to train me.  Is this why Ret's really need a spec like Marks or Frost (Mage) alongside them nowadays?  So they can have a very high number of peels available?

Another thing I thought about is that Ret's like Vanguards, for example, while being an exceptional player - no doubt - is also and has always been surrounded by exceptional players.  I'm talking about players with extremely high damage output and a high level of skill in timing CC and in positioning.  How does one such as myself manage to survive as Ret when I'm probably never going to even get the opportunity to play with folks of that caliber?

#4 Tharvolde

Tharvolde
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:27 PM

So I actually watched two hours of Vanguards latest S15 stream last night and, to be honest, it looks like I play even more defensively than he does!  What I mean is that he has outstanding up-time on his targets and switches very rapidly.  He very rarely is just "kiting" or "los-ing" although he does do a bit of this of course.  This really leads me to believe that it's honestly the healer that can make or break Ret in some cases.  If you have a very strong healer, like Rhee, then Ret can really shine.  Also, something I noticed he does that I have not really been doing is that he literally switches out both Glyphs and Talents almost every match depending on the comp they're going up against.  As someone who has just returned to the game midway through last season, this isn't something I have gotten used to doing so it looks like I better get to it!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ret, Retribution, Arena, 3v3, Best, Comp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<