3v3 Pally/DK/Mage

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 xIntencities

xIntencities
  • Members

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:58 PM

hey guys,

long time since I have even played this game and I'm trying to get back in. Looking for some opinions or tips on the team comp HPally/DK/Mage. how viable is it and what would be the best way to run it?

#2 Nesha

Nesha
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Frost 0/0/0/2/1/2
  • 2v2: 1848
  • 3v3: 2664
  • RBG: 384

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:05 AM

Hello there!
I have played this exact setup to almost 2300 in the last month of this concluded season and feel that it has a few strengths, but a lot of flaws. It is hard to say how it will be in the coming season, but judging from the PTR it looks like not much is going to change.

Your main goal: Get kills. Fast. We found out that this is definitely not a setup you can turtle around with as you are playing with a paladin and a DK. As soon as your paladin is caught without trinket/bubble somone on the team dies. DK's have shit survivability outside of Icebound Fortitude/AMS (which is almost useless at the moment).
- However it is very possible to land kills very fast with this setup due to the amount of instant CC you have. Let me go through the usual, cheesy opener we would get against most teams:
1) Deep Freeze+Orb on kill target (always a dps, sometimes Rshaman).
2) Asphyxiate --> PoM Poly x2 --> Grip --> Pally fear (if not a shaman) on healer.
3) Pala stun on second dps.

Most teams are probably already /laughing before gates open, but this ensured us a deadly opener every game where it was possible for us to force a major defensive on kill target and atleast a trinket from their healer. After this it was basically a matter of waiting for deep freeze/orb and repeating.

And while this all may sound awesome on paper, you must keep in mind that DK's, despite of their crazy damage output, are squishy. We stopped playing the setup after quite a lot of games when we realized that any good team we met (especially spellcleaves like Mage/Spriest/X, RMD, LSD) would completely shut down our burst and simply kill our DK.

I could probably write a lot more about this setup, but I hope this answered your question to some degree. Feel free to send me a PM or reply to this post if there is anything else you need answered.

TLDR: The setup is viable and if your paladin+mage are really good you can probably play it to Gladiator range. It gets destroyed by spellcleaves (because you have a DK) and outside of opening burst you don't have much pressure going out. We determined that it was viable untill ~2250 rating (EU) and from there it was simply too hard to "overwhelm" the opponent.

Edited by Nesha, 22 February 2014 - 12:08 AM.

#3 xIntencities

xIntencities
  • Members

Posted 22 February 2014 - 03:21 PM

Thanks, your post was extremely helpful. I will let you know once the season starts* if I have any further questions

#4 Nesha

Nesha
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Frost 0/0/0/2/1/2
  • 2v2: 1848
  • 3v3: 2664
  • RBG: 384

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:01 PM

The season is over already and S15 is about to start. No dates have been set, but I would imagine that S15 is starting on the 5th of March.
I'm glad that I have helped you and have fun with the setup! It takes a lot of effort to play it to high rating, but it becomes fun ones you get your strategies and synergy down!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<