• Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Affliction 0/2/0/2/0/0
  • 2v2: 1878
  • 3v3: 2779

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:09 AM

POPULAR

I'm sure everyone has seen how much trolling and general douchebaggery have infected AJ. I'd like it to stop.

Trolling and assholery puts AJ on a downward spiral. People troll/asshole-it-up, which leads to less people using this as a forum for serious/reasonable discussion, which leads to more trolling, etc. AJ always was and continues to be the most popular place for new players to get into the PvP scene. Any community relies on new members to sustain itself--by making this place a wasteland we are doing nothing but ensuring our own demise.

Before you post a reply or topic, ask yourself: am I being an asshole? If you are, change your post to take a more educational tone. If you're feeling heated about something, take some time to cool off before replying. Don't immediately assume someone is trolling you, some people are just not very knowledgeable. Worst case, if you reply in a calm educational manner, you've posted something informative for the hundreds or thousands of lurkers who will view your reply. These are generally newer PvPers, and anything you do to help sustain them as arena players helps all of us.

On any set of forums, it's easy to forget that almost all of the people reading it are lurkers, who will never make any posts. Lurkers cannot be trolls, they can't be assholes, they are just here to learn or read interesting things. Post interesting, informative content. Post drama if you want, but don't be an asshole. Fuck the trolls, post for the lurkers.

#2 Weeknd

Weeknd
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Illidan
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Assassination 0/2/1/2/0/1
  • 2v2: 1928
  • 3v3: 2308
  • 5v5: 2469
  • RBG: 192

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:15 AM

Very cool.

#3 Trillebårtom

Trillebårtom
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Arms 2/0/1/2/1/2/1
  • 2v2: 856
  • 3v3: 2762
  • RBG: 959

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:17 AM

Nada <3
I really think the mods need to step it up on getting rid of toxic people!
Would really love to see AJ be more useful!
www.twitch.tv/trillebartom

#4 Nadagast

Nadagast
  • Moderators
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:20 AM

I really think the mods need to step it up on getting rid of toxic people!

I agree. Seeing as I become a mod recently, I share some of the blame. I try to mod what I can when I read it or have time, but sometimes it's a difficult judgement call, and it takes a lot of time. The report button on posts actually does help a lot, use it!

#5 Raak

Raak
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Ravencrest
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Assassination

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:21 AM

It's the overall negativity that feeds the behaviour. Majority of threads is just bitching about the game, comps, classes, player X doing this and so on.

Edited by Raak, 21 February 2014 - 12:22 AM.

Posted Image

#6 Z4muZ

Z4muZ
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Twisting Nether
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Subtlety 1/2/2/1/0/1/.
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:23 AM

Everything you wrote has been written countless times. Cut the redundant 4th grade teacher PC crap and properly moderate the forum. You're not reinventing the wheel with the "why-can't-we-all-get-along-think-of-the-lurkers" act and quite frankly you're bordering on arrogance if you're actually thinking anything's going to change by posting this.

IP ban whomever needs to be banned. Problem solved, or will at least head towards that direction.
Posted Image

#7 Mattadoro

Mattadoro
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Mannoroth
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Marksmanship 0/1/2/2/0/2/.
  • 2v2: 2090
  • 3v3: 2769
  • 5v5: 2517
  • RBG: 767
  • LocationGAINSville, The Gym

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:27 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 Weeknd

Weeknd
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Illidan
  • Rampage

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:27 AM

Everything you wrote has been written countless times. Cut the redundant 4th grade teacher PC crap and properly moderate the forum. You're not reinventing the wheel with the "why-can't-we-all-get-along-think-of-the-lurkers" act and quite frankly you're bordering on arrogance if you're actually thinking anything's going to change by posting this.

IP ban whomever needs to be banned. Problem solved, or will at least head towards that direction.

It's doubtful that it will work, but if you would like it to -- give it a chance. I don't think that bashing the idea would help the cause. He sated that he does think he could do a more proactive job as moderator. Just let it play out from there.

#9 Nadagast

Nadagast
  • Moderators
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:32 AM

I don't think that not being an asshole is '4th grade teacher crap'.

I think that words do have an impact. Obviously, a single post by me will not completely solve the problem, or even come close, maybe. But does that mean I should not do what I can to try to save something I love? Your hopeless negativity is not helpful.

I agree that bans are (obviously) very useful, but that's not the entire picture. It's not like this place is populated by two groups of people:

1. Total fuckwad assholes who are going to be immediately banned.
2. Reasonable, educational, nice posters.

There's a huge spectrum of posters between those two extremes, and bans are not appropriate for most of them. Further, I think a lot of otherwise reasonable people sometimes just don't think before they post. They can easily be closer to #2 than they are today, and I think words can accomplish that.

#10 Weeknd

Weeknd
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Illidan
  • Rampage

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:35 AM

It's the overall negativity that feeds the behaviour. Majority of threads is just bitching about the game, comps, classes, player X doing this and so on.

Eh, I kind of agree that most posts are started like this. And while these posts may feed the behavior, they do not call for it. The responses to these sorts of posts should, in an ideal world, be information on how to deal with the problem of the game, comp, or player. This is usually included in responses but it is masked by the trolling and vicious form of speech.

#11 Nadagast

Nadagast
  • Moderators
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:39 AM

I agree with you. People should reply with more helpful information and less negativity. In almost all arena games you've ever lost, your team could have won by doing something differently.

#12 Mattadoro

Mattadoro
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Mannoroth
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Marksmanship 0/1/2/2/0/2/.
  • 2v2: 2090
  • 3v3: 2769
  • 5v5: 2517
  • RBG: 767
  • LocationGAINSville, The Gym

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:40 AM

38 user(s) are reading this topic

9 members, 27 guests, 2 anonymous users

you have peaked the lurkers attention

well done

Posted Image

#13 Dizzeeyo

Dizzeeyo
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Frost 0/2/0/2/2/2
  • RBG: 2274

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:45 AM

I agree with you. People should reply with more helpful information and less negativity. In almost all arena games you've ever lost, your team could have won by doing something differently.

the increasing lack of comprehension of this point is the single biggest thing, outside of 50%+ of the ladder being boosts/carries at the end of every season, that ruins the community on this site and in the game from a pvp perspective.

you could also add some teeth to this thread by re-banning the accounts of people like abolished who were permabanned from this forum for a very good reason reason but can apparently get round a permaban if they make enough fresh accounts to post on :)

Edited by Dizzeeyo, 21 February 2014 - 12:53 AM.

No because the difference is when I play a comp i play it close to skill cap

if anyone needs to be banned, it's you. You do nothing but sit on AJ being a passive aggressive idiot that nobody likes, sorry you stink of washing up liquid.

Feel free to call me an idiot because I'm a hunter or some stupid ass remark but I've actually written all this down on paper

I actually made an appearance at DH2014 and I met up with people from twitch who were involved with the dota 2 / cs tournies that where there, I talked about the game from my perspective as a professional player and we actually shared a lot of opinions. All I'm saying is a lot of people will be VERY surprised about the future of this game in the esport world :)

#14 Marshmellow

Marshmellow
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Windwalker 1/0/2/2/2/1/2
  • 2v2: 2375
  • 3v3: 2440
  • RBG: 960

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:48 AM

yeah I don't like when Asshole Charlie tries to ruin my chicken noodle soup :(

#15 Weeknd

Weeknd
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Illidan
  • Rampage

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:51 AM

the increasing lack of comprehension of this point is the single biggest thing, outside of 50%+ of the ladder being boosts/carries at the end of every season, that ruins the community on this site and in the game from a pvp perspective.

If the players that you lost to were performing a carry, would there not still be things your team could have done to avoid the loss? I am not sure that I follow what you meant by a lack of comprehension in the post.

#16 Tsx

Tsx
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Tirion
  • Vengeance / Rache
  • Talents: Arcane 1/0/2/2/0/2/2
  • 3v3: 2284

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:52 AM

When a guy that wants to improve as a player asks tips on how to play rogue/ mage /x , and then the multi glad Regentlord responds with like ''just spam lance and faceroll into them'', am i not supposed to say fuck off at the least?Or make fun of him by the posts he did in the past?
Oh c'mon we all remember that day in s12 where he said:It doesn't matter if stampede got nerfed, i can still glad get without it (jk never 2.4 again).
So no offense, but ppl who respond like that deserve to be trolled or not taken seriously.

#17 Z4muZ

Z4muZ
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Twisting Nether
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Subtlety 1/2/2/1/0/1/.
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:53 AM

And I don't think anyone who has his mind set on trolling or who's mad for whatever reason and comes to AJ to specifically whine and complain is going to give two shits about some guy telling him to "behave". It's ignorant if you think he will, and it's arrogant if you think that you're the one to change this by words.

I think that words do have an impact. Obviously, a single post by me will not completely solve the problem, or even come close, maybe. But does that mean I should not do what I can to try to save something I love? Your hopeless negativity is not helpful.

Then why bother writing this post with that tone? It would've been thrice as efficient if you'd announce that moderation is going to be more strict from now on or something of the sort, or god forbid announce that you're going to start banning. As far as me being hopelessly negative; call it what you want, I just don't believe for a second making another redundant post with the tone of "I'm going to reeducate the uncivilized peasants" will do anything.

I agree that bans are (obviously) very useful, but that's not the entire picture. It's not like this place is populated by two groups of people:

There's a huge spectrum of posters between those two extremes, and bans are not appropriate for most of them. Further, I think a lot of otherwise reasonable people sometimes just don't think before they post. They can easily be closer to #2 than they are today, and I think words can accomplish that.

No reason to hyperbole, and as moderator you're supposed to judge what's ultimately accepted or not on the forum.

It's VERY easy to spot people who blatantly come to whine and complain with little to no regard to objectivity. Needless to say, it's easy to spot trolls either. How about you start with those and then make your way downwards towards the less obvious, first?
Posted Image

#18 watchmepwn

watchmepwn
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Frost 1/1/0/2/2/2/2
  • 2v2: 1644
  • 3v3: 2260
  • RBG: 1142

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:53 AM

Thank you.
Had an idea, run for glad the last week of the season, got stomped by rank1 teams queing on 2400 mmr.
Thanks guys!

#19 Dizzeeyo

Dizzeeyo
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Frost 0/2/0/2/2/2
  • RBG: 2274

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:00 AM

If the players that you lost to were performing a carry, would there not still be things your team could have done to avoid the loss? I am not sure that I follow what you meant by a lack of comprehension in the post.

sorry, I'm not sure i wrote my point well enough

I think the biggest thing destroying this community is the ladder at the end of every season being 50%+ boosts/carries, and the people doing those boosts and then posting in this thread that they hope the wow community will improve are a bit of a joke

the second biggest thing is precisely what nadagastt said, people need to start realising that there are things that they can do to affect the outcome of their own arena games, and not just fall back on LOL the other team had a warrior/mage/rogue/hunter/druid/dk/shaman/warlock/whatever or LOL sorry my class is horrible i cant do anything or LOL Holinka is a fucking idiot or LOL I hate this game but I still continue to play it

i think an awful lot of frustration and anger on this site comes from the fact that people have simply forgotten that a loss can be their own fault as well, and that not everyone enters their very first arena as gods gift to whatever class they are playing, and that investing time into a class that you enjoy is far more rewarding in the long term then fotm rerolling and then endlessly crying when the fotm train moves on and you get left behind

Edited by Dizzeeyo, 21 February 2014 - 01:04 AM.

No because the difference is when I play a comp i play it close to skill cap

if anyone needs to be banned, it's you. You do nothing but sit on AJ being a passive aggressive idiot that nobody likes, sorry you stink of washing up liquid.

Feel free to call me an idiot because I'm a hunter or some stupid ass remark but I've actually written all this down on paper

I actually made an appearance at DH2014 and I met up with people from twitch who were involved with the dota 2 / cs tournies that where there, I talked about the game from my perspective as a professional player and we actually shared a lot of opinions. All I'm saying is a lot of people will be VERY surprised about the future of this game in the esport world :)

#20 Braindance

Braindance
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Arms
  • RBG: 956
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:02 AM

Yes?

Going to blizzcon looking for a fight is like going to the official wow arena forums for pvp advice :)

If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, bin Laden, and you, I would shoot you twice.

bro you got +rep'd by rapture... 

XECkfsj.png

Made by Regentlord

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<