Photo

MW 3v3 comps?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Gabrielapple

Gabrielapple
  • Members

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:55 AM

What 3v3 setups are you MW playing? I have played KFC to 2150 and we have a hard time against KFC with shaman, castercleaves and Beastcleave. I would really like to try another setup.

Playing with an eleshaman looks nice because of tremor, offheals and hex dispel.

Thoughts?

#2 forumsloveme

forumsloveme
  • Junkies
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:09 PM

Playing with an Ele is almost mandatory atm. Else, cleaves.

Viable MW comps:

- PHD (never ChiHD. Never.)
- DK/Ele/MW
- Shadowcleave
- TSG (never TSChi, ChiSG or anything similar. Never.)
- DK/Boomkin/MW
- KFC (never KFChi. Never.)
- LSM
- Thundercleave
LSD making dreams come true since S7

#3 drockzo

drockzo
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Cenarion Circle
  • Whirlwind
  • Talents: Restoration 0/1/2/0/2/2/1
  • 2v2: 1486
  • 3v3: 2965
  • RBG: 1556

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:55 PM

I think LSM (destro or aff), thunder cleave, and beast cleave are the strongest options. imo there isn't enough utility in PHD or KFC to make it an amazing MW comp (not saying that it can't work), but a DPS shaman or a lock makes a huge difference.

#4 Primius

Primius
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Mistweaver 1/0/2/0/0/1
  • 2v2: 2039
  • 3v3: 2519
  • 5v5: 1150
  • RBG: 959

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:47 PM

The problem is MW is ridiculously vulnerable to mages and hunter CC. So if you don't run with a dps shaman now you are making yourself equally vulnerable to hex.

You can never really cover up the mage vulnerability but playing with a dps shaman you can at least make yourself not complete shit against every shaman and hunter team.

MW also sucks major dick against double spell caster teams.

For all the hype and talk about how OP we are by some of the player base this spec is still 100% garbage unless having your ball sack held up by a DPS shaman.

#5 Nadagast

Nadagast
  • Moderators
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Affliction 0/2/0/2/0/0
  • 2v2: 1878
  • 3v3: 2779

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:57 PM

For all the hype and talk about how OP we are by some of the player base this spec is still 100% garbage unless having your ball sack held up by a DPS shaman.

MW is really not garbage, it just has some bad matchups when playing certain comps.

#6 lehel

lehel
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Windwalker 1/0/2/2/0/0
  • 2v2: 2057
  • 3v3: 2623
  • RBG: 576

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:31 AM

Trying to figure out what the best Mw set ups will be this season, I loved playing mw ele uhdk but everyone is saying dks are trash so idk

#7 Primius

Primius
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:26 AM

MW is really not garbage, it just has some bad matchups when playing certain comps.

Nadagast

I greatly respect your opinion but if a MW isn't playing with a dps shaman they pretty much are at a major disadvantage to win against any team with a mage, shaman dps or healer, and Hunter.

Now thing about how many comps includes one or more of those classes. 70% or more?

That makes us extremely garbage in the majority of situations in arena unless we are playing with a dps shaman.

#8 Ocypode

Ocypode
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Tarren Mill
  • Misery
  • Talents: Windwalker 1/0/1/0/2/1
  • 2v2: 1774
  • 3v3: 2084

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:34 AM

I played shadowcleave at the last day of season and it worked out pretty well, mostly all the godcomps and spellcleaves we had problems on.

#9 drockzo

drockzo
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Cenarion Circle
  • Whirlwind

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:31 PM

Nadagast

I greatly respect your opinion but if a MW isn't playing with a dps shaman they pretty much are at a major disadvantage to win against any team with a mage, shaman dps or healer, and Hunter.

Now thing about how many comps includes one or more of those classes. 70% or more?

That makes us extremely garbage in the majority of situations in arena unless we are playing with a dps shaman.

I agree with primius here, there's a massive difference in the longevity of your game when you have a DPS shaman on your team. Off healing, kick, tremor, and grounding fill in some of our major gaps in 3v3 arena (such as cc vulnerability to mage wiz cleaves and certain hunter cleaves, as well as our lack of buffer healing which can be made up with ele off heals). Not to mention they eat a bunch of blanket silences/stuns for us just so the enemy team can land CC. That isn't to say that comps without a DPS shaman can't be run successfully, because there are a couple examples. But I personally think the majority of strong MW comps are when you run with an ele > enh

#10 Nadagast

Nadagast
  • Moderators
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Affliction 0/2/0/2/0/0
  • 2v2: 1878
  • 3v3: 2779

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:08 PM

Nadagast

I could totally be wrong, but my impression is that the problem is much worse when playing against a hunter than a shaman or mage. I can see how enhance shamans would be a pain with maelstrom weapon hexes, but often your DPS buddies can cure hexes, even if they aren't a shaman. Against resto or ele shamans, you really only have to deal with casted or NS hexes, which I don't see as the worst thing in the world.

I'm not as convinced that MW is screwed by mages. What is their uncounterable CC on you? Deep sheep? You have 2.5 seconds to react and tell your teammates to interrupt the polymorph. PoM sheep? Every healer gets screwed by that (although a bit less than you if they have HoTs or healing streams).

Of course, I don't play a MW monk at a high level, but when I fight against MW monks, they would win more often if they positioned themselves better, IMO.

#11 drockzo

drockzo
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Cenarion Circle
  • Whirlwind

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:33 PM

I could totally be wrong, but my impression is that the problem is much worse when playing against a hunter than a shaman or mage. I can see how enhance shamans would be a pain with maelstrom weapon hexes, but often your DPS buddies can cure hexes, even if they aren't a shaman. Against resto or ele shamans, you really only have to deal with casted or NS hexes, which I don't see as the worst thing in the world.

I'm not as convinced that MW is screwed by mages. What is their uncounterable CC on you? Deep sheep? You have 2.5 seconds to react and tell your teammates to interrupt the polymorph. PoM sheep? Every healer gets screwed by that (although a bit less than you if they have HoTs or healing streams).

Of course, I don't play a MW monk at a high level, but when I fight against MW monks, they would win more often if they positioned themselves better, IMO.

It sort of depends on what you play, if you're running lock/ele it's pretty simple to sit back and position yourself in a way in which you normally expect a healer to sit. But if you're playing something like turbo or beast cleave you're forced to come in be close enough for shaman utility. It might seem like lots of the monks you're playing against have poor positional awareness (at least the ones playing cleaves), but many of them are forced to come out to use their teams utility since their melee is pushing.

#12 Primius

Primius
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:57 PM

Positioning is very problematic for MW monks. You can only do the hide behind boxes and only come out to heal if you are using a orb bot (which a huge number of monks are especially at the top). If you don't cheat with an orb bot then our style of healing requires us to sacrifice positioning a huge amount of the time to get healing off.

Also what Grokki said is true. If you are playing with a enhancement shaman then you pretty much have to be in the open to take advantage of their utility. Playing with a shaman is pointless if you are always out of range for tremor or grounding to stop traps/ws ect..

I talked to Verdantstorm few months ago and he told me this class is not very good and only can reach the top with exceptional players. I didn't really agree with him at the time but after playing two MW monks into glad range I totally agree.

This class/spec is completely flawed, and for those like myself that are actually playing it with no orb bot it can be extremely frustrating.

Edited by Primius, 21 February 2014 - 07:58 PM.

#13 Shridevi

Shridevi
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Bleeding Hollow
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Mistweaver 1/0/2/2/0/1
  • 2v2: 1847
  • 3v3: 2218
  • 5v5: 1611
  • RBG: 2028

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:08 PM

It's hard to really gauge MWs right now if 1) Criming is right and many of the glads used bots and 2) current FOTMs.

FOTM: Even though most classes have problems with RMD, we are garbage at healing vs it. Trinket doesn't exist from blind, then add pom poly, ns clone, blanket, etc. Also we can't peel warriors very well because you can rage out of para. Mages counter MWs so much. When you queue at 2300-2400 and the first 10 teams all have mages then that is a problem with balancing, not with MW. If the appropriate nerfs go out on say rdruid, rogue burst, mage burst, some instant CC, then MWs will do better.

The ladders apparently aren't accurate, so if we knew how many carries or botters were comprised of the ranked MWs it would be easier to tell.

I think MWs just need gameplay altered, and nerfs on other OP classes. We used to have that weird lotus flower ability and honestly I'd prefer to keep it if it improves your chances of getting in combat and/or breaking shroud. I would love to have that small, useless ability, or to just have SCK fairly break rogue stealth. Just having that stupid lotus flower thing could save 2-3 team cooldowns in an opener.

I don't like how we rarely get swapped to, it completely changes the dynamics of trinket or CDs. On rsham if you use link or trinket you consider the huge risk of dying. MWs are a universal CC target. LOSing a mage, rdruid, and spriest at the same time to avoid instant CC isn't skilled gameplay, it's desperation gameplay, like old school gaming where you lose if one of King Koopa's unavoidable fire balls hits you. And it's not the same with other classes. If you hpal bubble out of CC you then enter the gameplay of staying alive, which is more challenging than avoiding instant CC. I like MW but not some aspects of the gameplay.

#14 Primius

Primius
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:44 PM

It's hard to really gauge MWs right now if 1) Criming is right and many of the glads used bots and 2) current FOTMs.

FOTM: Even though most classes have problems with RMD, we are garbage at healing vs it. Trinket doesn't exist from blind, then add pom poly, ns clone, blanket, etc. Also we can't peel warriors very well because you can rage out of para. Mages counter MWs so much. When you queue at 2300-2400 and the first 10 teams all have mages then that is a problem with balancing, not with MW. If the appropriate nerfs go out on say rdruid, rogue burst, mage burst, some instant CC, then MWs will do better.

The ladders apparently aren't accurate, so if we knew how many carries or botters were comprised of the ranked MWs it would be easier to tell.

I think MWs just need gameplay altered, and nerfs on other OP classes. We used to have that weird lotus flower ability and honestly I'd prefer to keep it if it improves your chances of getting in combat and/or breaking shroud. I would love to have that small, useless ability, or to just have SCK fairly break rogue stealth. Just having that stupid lotus flower thing could save 2-3 team cooldowns in an opener.

I don't like how we rarely get swapped to, it completely changes the dynamics of trinket or CDs. On rsham if you use link or trinket you consider the huge risk of dying. MWs are a universal CC target. LOSing a mage, rdruid, and spriest at the same time to avoid instant CC isn't skilled gameplay, it's desperation gameplay, like old school gaming where you lose if one of King Koopa's unavoidable fire balls hits you. And it's not the same with other classes. If you hpal bubble out of CC you then enter the gameplay of staying alive, which is more challenging than avoiding instant CC. I like MW but not some aspects of the gameplay.

What really makes me angry is people (those that do not play it), have a flawed view of the class because of soooo many people using an orb bot. So it makes us appear far stronger then we actually are.

There is a reason why none of the top MW will stream. The reason for that if they were to stream they would be exposed for orb botting. Cdew is like the only person that will stream on his MW at the top. No one else does and it's obvious why. I have played against every top MW in the USA multiple times, and I am not going to call people out but a bunch of them are orb botting.

So as long as orbs can be botted the player base will have a flawed perspective on our actual power, and those that don't bot will continue to be at a huge disadvantage compared to those that choose to bot.

#15 Ocypode

Ocypode
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Tarren Mill
  • Misery
  • Talents: Windwalker 1/0/1/0/2/1
  • 2v2: 1774
  • 3v3: 2084

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:53 PM

Whoa whoa wait, this is the first time I even hear about this, Orb bot? Does it like target the orbs instantly under a friendly person or what?

That's total fucking bullshit.

#16 Primius

Primius
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:39 PM

Whoa whoa wait, this is the first time I even hear about this, Orb bot? Does it like target the orbs instantly under a friendly person or what?

That's total fucking bullshit.

Yes it makes Healing Sphere work like a regular spell. You just target the person and it places the orb directly under them.

#17 Qualudes

Qualudes
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Windwalker 1/0/2/2/0/0
  • 2v2: 2072
  • 3v3: 2413
  • 5v5: 96
  • RBG: 1652

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:23 PM

monk mage warrior is viable as well

#18 ottishen

ottishen
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Earthen Ring
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Windwalker 1/2/2/2/2/0
  • 2v2: 1645
  • 3v3: 2409
  • 5v5: 288
  • RBG: 1334

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:46 PM

I will most likely sound like an utter noob, but better to ask and sound stupid than to stay silent and remain so:
How exactly are monks more vulnerable to hunters and mages than other healers? From my experience, going monk made it easier to fight hunter teams due to having disarm/ring of peace/paralysis to relieve pressure (granted, this was only at 2-2.1k cr).

I assume that it has to do with avoiding cc, but how exactly? Doesn't every healer suffer from pom polys and scatter->wyvern/trap, in what way are monks worse?

//Aspiring monk :)

#19 ottishen

ottishen
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Earthen Ring
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Windwalker 1/2/2/2/2/0
  • 2v2: 1645
  • 3v3: 2409
  • 5v5: 288
  • RBG: 1334

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:49 PM

FOTM: Even though most classes have problems with RMD, we are garbage at healing vs it. Trinket doesn't exist from blind, then add pom poly, ns clone, blanket, etc.

Thinking about stuff like this. How is this cc chain worse for monks than other healers, don't they all get put into it, since it's all instant?

#20 forumsloveme

forumsloveme
  • Junkies
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:33 PM

Thinking about stuff like this. How is this cc chain worse for monks than other healers, don't they all get put into it, since it's all instant?

The reason behind it is that other healers have some sort of short-CD spell to catch up on healing after coming out of CC, like PoM, Swiftmend, Holy Shock, Riptide/Stream, etc.

While we have: Long CDs coupled with our major healing spell requiring us not only to give up positioning a lot of times, but also, unlike every other healer, to keep calm (or use a bot, but yeah, fuck all of you disgustingly pathetic bot users, go die on cancer.). It doesn't matter if a druid is panicing, because his spells will still hit their target, if a monk panics, orb placement gets unreliable.
LSD making dreams come true since S7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<