Windwalker pvp Chi Brew healing elixer jab xeun jade wind

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Zearamoth

Zearamoth
  • Members

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:24 AM

Hey all!

I have been doing some research on WW monks and, while not doing badly, I could improve things such as my damage and survival in pvp. As I am new to this forums I can't post links yet but to find my armory: My name is Chipoh, and Aliance Pandaren on the realm Ragnaros. I'm still gearing so don't mind any odd stats.

Having read the awesome guide of BalanceRexxar on this forum (Again can't use links but the name of the guide is How to Walk with the Wind (5.4), in the monk sub-forum) I'm still left with some questions regarding my talents and rotation.

First off I'm going to replace Power Strikes (I know Ascension has long been better but Power Strikes just fitted my playstyle better up until now). I wanted to replace it with Ascension but after some research I found out that Chi-Brew + Healing Elixers is quite a powerful tool for both damage and survival. However I'm not quite sure how to use Chi-Brew effectively. I know I can use it to benefit from my Healing Elixers when I need it instead of using TEB (Do I want to try to proc Healing Elixers everytime it's up?). But do I use it instead of Jab to build chi as it also gives stacks for my TEB eventough it doesn't do damage (Jab does little damage) but requires no target?

My next question revolves around the last tier. I have been running with Xuen for quite some time now and I still love it. It's damage and utility are quite nice. But recently I faced some monks using Rushing Jade Wind instead and their sustained damage was quite nice (seeing as Xuen has  a CD). I've found out that a lot of high rated monks use this spell so I'm going to give it a shot too. But just as my previous question about Chi-Brew, how do i use it? Do I use it as a big energy dump whenever it is possible (seeing as I will have more energy left if I use Chi-Brew instead of Jab)? Should I try to keep it up as long as possible while I'm on my target or will my DPS suffer too much from it because of the high energy cost to keep it up? Or is it just something I use following a specific rotation where I only use it like once?

Thanks in advance!

#2 Marshmellow

Marshmellow
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-The Forgotten Coast
  • Whirlwind
  • Talents: Windwalker 1/0/2/2/0/0
  • 2v2: 2026
  • 3v3: 2348
  • RBG: 960

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:45 AM

When you play Chi Brew just use it on cooldown if you don't have full chi or 20 stacks of Tigereye Brew

As for Rushing Jade Wind there are a lot of different scenarios to use this in, you can look at it as an energy dump but really your primary energy dump is going to be Jab, I only use Rushing Jade Wind when I get Tiger Strikes procs, Trinket/Dancing Steel procs and have over 60 energy, and when I use Tigereye Brew and have Rising Sun Kick on my target, if you try to use Rushing Jade Wind on cooldown you will energy starve yourself and not be able to generate Chi to build Tigereye Brew.

Also you will want to make a /cancelaura Rushing Jade Wind macro so you don't break cc

#3 glonglon

glonglon
  • Members

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:03 AM

@Darshmellow, are you sure Rushing jade wind benefits from tiger strikes buff ?

Is it ok to use rushing jade wind with tiger strikes alone or do I always need trinkets/dancing steel or consume TEB alongside ?

Thanks in advance for your future answer.

Regards.

Posted Image

#4 Marshmellow

Marshmellow
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-The Forgotten Coast
  • Whirlwind
  • 2v2: 2026
  • 3v3: 2348
  • RBG: 960

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:18 AM

View Postglonglon, on 10 February 2014 - 03:03 AM, said:

@Darshmellow, are you sure Rushing jade wind benefits from tiger strikes buff ?

Is it ok to use rushing jade wind with tiger strikes alone or do I always need trinkets/dancing steel or consume TEB alongside ?

Thanks in advance for your future answer.

Regards.

I don't think it benefits from the Tiger Strikes haste, but its actually a good amount of burst damage when they are both up.

I use it with just Tiger Strikes all the time and the consistent damage is definitely noticeable, but it is a lot better with trinkets/procs/teb obviously.

#5 glonglon

glonglon
  • Members

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:29 AM

Thanks for your answer :)

Posted Image

#6 Zearamoth

Zearamoth
  • Members

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:40 AM

Hey,

Thanks for the quick and clear reply, I'm going to test this tonight and I will drop by again to tell you about my experiences with this advice!

#7 Zearamoth

Zearamoth
  • Members

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:45 PM

I've tested it in arena and it feels quite a bit stronger. I still have to get used to it tough, but practise will fix that. So thanks for the input!

#8 BalanceRexxar

BalanceRexxar
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Rexxar
  • Vengeance
  • 2v2: 2610
  • 3v3: 2901
  • 5v5: 2269
  • RBG: 2180

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:06 PM

View PostZearamoth, on 10 February 2014 - 01:24 AM, said:

First off I'm going to replace Power Strikes (I know Ascension has long been better but Power Strikes just fitted my playstyle better up until now). I wanted to replace it with Ascension but after some research I found out that Chi-Brew + Healing Elixers is quite a powerful tool for both damage and survival. However I'm not quite sure how to use Chi-Brew effectively. I know I can use it to benefit from my Healing Elixers when I need it instead of using TEB (Do I want to try to proc Healing Elixers everytime it's up?). But do I use it instead of Jab to build chi as it also gives stacks for my TEB eventough it doesn't do damage (Jab does little damage) but requires no target?

You shouldn't worry about Healing Elixirs too much, I find that if I NEED it to proc it will proc itself when I get below 35%, if it is a live or die situation and you have the buff up and lets say your at 50% with your healer in a 8s CD and you have no karma, it's probably going to be worth it to use TEB and heal.

But outside of karma your best defensive is the pillar and running until you have a trinket + karma or Diffuse Magic depending on what you're facing.

I find that whenever I face RMD or RPS, any rogue team really. I'm always a dead rat until I have a trinket karma just because we have no damage mitigation while stunned, so if I don't have AT LEAST a trinket off CD I run and hide like a dog till I can go offensive safely.

Hope that helps.

#9 Zearamoth

Zearamoth
  • Members

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:58 PM

Yeah I found that out too, I usually try to extend fights versus rogues till I have my defensive cds up and then go all in on them.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Windwalker, pvp, Chi, Brew, healing, elixer, jab, xeun, jade, wind

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<