Photo

DX 11 or DX 9 for performance?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SparkieGuest

SparkieGuest
  • Members

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:28 PM

Hey I was wondering which is the best one to use I have gtx 680, for some reason DX9 seems to be smoother than DX11 but people are saying DX11 should be smoother, is there something wrong?

#2 zenga

zenga
  • Members
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:07 PM

Well not sure about the 680 gtx, I personally have the 580 gtx. Initially I used to run wow in 32-bit mode (to record with dxtory that only supported 32bit) combined with dx9. Later on I swapped to run wow in 64-mode and with direct x11, the fps and graphics quality increase was pretty massive. However my wow would crash quite often or my nvidia driver would crash. Lots of googling later I found the cause of the problem: somehow the combination of the nvidia card, wow 64bit/dx11 requires a higher voltage to run reliable.

So downloaded msi afterburner, fire it up, chose settings in the bottom right corner, then tick unlock voltage control and voltage monitoring. Confirm, then on the first screen set the slider for core voltage (mV) to 1100 and save it to a profile. I also run msi afterburner whenever I start my computer (general properties, start with windows).

That fixed it for me, was really a spectacular performance gain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<