#1 Evilinsidetko

Evilinsidetko
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • EU-Defias Brotherhood
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Frost 0/2/0/0/./.

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:00 PM

Hey guys, I'm a fairly new at mage, just gotten to level/gear the class right this season and I've got some questions for all you experienced magis out there. Since this is the first season I've got to lay my hands down on mage, I've been able to reach ~2.1k rating as shatterplay whilst , admittedly, I didn't have too much of a clue what I was actually doing :P

So one of my questions is which comps are THE comps for mages this season, and what does the mage usually do specifically for mage/melee comps. How do i keep pressure outside of burst? When to poly who? What to do in between 25secs of FoF procs from waterele freeze, and what to do/spec to play defensively especially against kfc/beastcleave. Also what talents are worth swapping out against certain comps and why?
Thanks in advance!

#2 Evilinsidetko

Evilinsidetko
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • EU-Defias Brotherhood
  • Rampage / Saccage

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:17 PM

Bump for help!

#3 Evilinsidetko

Evilinsidetko
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • EU-Defias Brotherhood
  • Rampage / Saccage

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:25 PM

Bump :)

#4 dominera

dominera
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Frost 0/0/0/2/1/2
  • 2v2: 1942
  • 3v3: 2053
  • 5v5: 768
  • RBG: 1684
  • LocationSweden

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:50 PM

The strongest comp for mages this season would probably be WMD and RMD.

I dont really understand your question. I feel like its very easy to deal damage as a mage. With deep/blanket being on such short cooldowns its quite easy to to setup kills, especially with orb every minute. When you dont have any procs (from orb or pet freeze) you should be spamming poly as well as casting frostbolts to stack icicles.

When healer is on dr you just sheep the other dps, and while he is on dr you will poly the healer etc. You just rotate like that, easy explained. Its not hard abusing poly, just spam it.

Against some comps you have to play more defensive, you need to think about your positioning. Im still in an improving phase in terms of mage since my main is feral, but i feel like i have been improving alot by starting to relize the weight of good positioning. If you really wanna see some results vs comps you believe is hard you should probably work more on your positioning, playing against melee cleaves can be a daunting task but by having a correct positioning it will be alot easier to play aggressive with CC etc.

Against KFC for example or other similar comps it could be a good idea to go with Ice Ward instead of Ring of Frost as well as Blazing Speed instead of PoM.

#5 Phatxyo

Phatxyo
  • Junkies

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:05 AM

play with tricks

#6 Ninelivesxx

Ninelivesxx

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:56 AM

View Postdominera, on 28 January 2014 - 11:50 PM, said:

The strongest comp for mages this season would probably be WMD and RMD.

I dont really understand your question. I feel like its very easy to deal damage as a mage. With deep/blanket being on such short cooldowns its quite easy to to setup kills, especially with orb every minute. When you dont have any procs (from orb or pet freeze) you should be spamming poly as well as casting frostbolts to stack icicles.

When healer is on dr you just sheep the other dps, and while he is on dr you will poly the healer etc. You just rotate like that, easy explained. Its not hard abusing poly, just spam it.

Against some comps you have to play more defensive, you need to think about your positioning. Im still in an improving phase in terms of mage since my main is feral, but i feel like i have been improving alot by starting to relize the weight of good positioning. If you really wanna see some results vs comps you believe is hard you should probably work more on your positioning, playing against melee cleaves can be a daunting task but by having a correct positioning it will be alot easier to play aggressive with CC etc.

Against KFC for example or other similar comps it could be a good idea to go with Ice Ward instead of Ring of Frost as well as Blazing Speed instead of PoM.

Any tips on positioning? Just pillar hump / stay near druid circle?

#7 Swelung

Swelung
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Guardian 1/1/2/2/0/0
  • 2v2: 2320
  • 3v3: 2745
  • 5v5: 2230
  • RBG: 2488

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:05 PM

damage attack

#8 dominera

dominera
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Frost 0/0/0/2/1/2
  • 2v2: 1942
  • 3v3: 2053
  • 5v5: 768
  • RBG: 1684
  • LocationSweden

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:28 PM

View PostNinelivesxx, on 29 January 2014 - 05:56 AM, said:

Any tips on positioning? Just pillar hump / stay near druid circle?

Its very situational obviously and also very comp based. Against some comps you need to play more defensive already from the start and against some comps you will be allowed to move around freely and play more aggressive. But even if the playstyle, in terms of positioning, is different from comp to comp there are always gonna be situations where you have to play more defensive/offensive. Even if you can move freely around the map spamming dmg/cc there are still moments where you might have to kite and play more defensive with how you positioning yourself.

Against KFC for example where you will be the target you will probably have to play very defensive and play by your healer, but there are also situations in this matchup where it can be beneficial to push in and play more aggressive. Just make sure you are max 1 blink away from your healer/pillar so if it goes to hell you can just blink to safety. If you have blink on CD and/or are too far away you will probably have to block or the healer have to use major CDs which will loose the game for you.

Positioning is something thats very hard to master, but its really worth spending time always trying to improve this. Talbadar once said that the single most important thing that has the biggest impact on your gameplay is positioning. I agree with him, you will gain alot by having proper positioning.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: magenew, help, rotation, cc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<