Arena Junkies was shut down on July 1st, 2018. You're viewing an archive of this page from 2018-06-25 at 20:01. Thank you all for your support! Please get in touch via the Curse help desk if you need any support using this archive.

Photo

Woes of an arena noob

3v3 warlock lock noob

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Axenation

Axenation
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Twisting Nether
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents:
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:07 PM

Some background info on myself:

I quit playing mid season 4 back in tbc and picked up wow again mid season 13 as an warlock. I haven't been able to do arena very much mostly because I was on a really low pop server and there were probably 10 people above 1500 rating and they consider themselves gods of arena lol. Our guild transferred to Kel'Thuzad, then after a month of being noobed to death, they all transferred back to the low pop server where they could once again be the best pvp guild on that server. I'm not a tard so I stayed on KT because it's a real server. My problem now is it's very hard to find other people that are willing to play with a low mmr player,1600 - 1700 cr w/no achieves, so I end up playing with friends from my old low pop server anyways. Half way through this season, I finally found some old friends there that actually wanted to do arenas for fun / rating instead just doing enough games to cap every week.

Our team make up is Affliction Lock (me). WW Monk, Holy Priest. We easily hit 1650 with me and the monk in 510 ilvl, and the priest in 496 pve gear, but we've plateaued and are stuck. We're geared now and can still only hit 1700s a few times before falling back down to 1650. Obviously I'm a warlock so most games I die in a fire (to double melee cleaves *woohoo*) but our problems don't lay on just me getting wtfpwned every game.

My partners complain because I more or less play open-mic (ventrilo sucks for that) and they always tell me to switch it to push-to-talk. Of course I argue with them because it's 2014 and who the fuck plays with push-to-talk for 3s! Peels / kills are hard because CC gets overlapped 50% of the time. I call out my CCs 90% of the time, but I always end up dotting or fearing someone who just got sapped by the monk, or mind controlled by the priest because they aren't calling out what they're doing .. because they have to push a button.

Here's a list of things that I believe are "wrong":

1) Bad synergy between Lock & Priest / Priest's talent choices:
He insists on using Mind Control. Yes, we've won games because he MC'd healers or dps for peels, but imho we would have won those games anyways. Psyfiend would be bad because of fear DRs. I've suggested using Void Tendrils, but that hasn't happened yet. I've also suggested that the priest spec into feathers / spectral guise for games where he gets targeted, but he says it isn't worth it because it gets broken right away anyways. I place more blame on the bad synergy between locks/priests more than anything else.

2) Double melee cleaves: I get wtfpwned 75% of the time we face 2x melee, hunter/melee, or mage/warrior usually with little or no peels .. This is partially my fault because I'm not specifically calling out for peels, but I do call out things like when they pop all their cooldowns. Should I even have to ask for peels??? Another thing I do wrong is try to kite the melee around pillars while I end up being next to perma slowed / stunned and I end up los'ing my healer. If I port or gateway, I still end up with little or no heals because I still have to los the melee cleave and end up los'ing my heals there too, but considering I call out my gates/ports before I take them I feel our priest should either take the gate with me or atleast be able to anticipate that I need to los the melee so they aren't instantly on me again.

3) Overlapping / breaking CCs: I don't need to explain this, it's a communication error and isn't likely to get fixed anytime soon.

4) Not eatting hunter traps: Priest doesn't call out when he's scattered .. don't need to explain this either.

5) Offensive Dispels: Our priest just realized he has an offensive dispel last time we played .. also found out he can still mass dispell blocks / bubbles if he glyphs for it, but isn't able to anticipate when the opponent is going to do so, so they're topped off before their immunity get's dispelled. I can't really place blame here, he's been away most of MoP and just needs some more experience I guess.

6) I just remembered that I have Curse of Exhaustion: I'm a noob too I guess :D

7) Breaking News: The Dalai Lama nerd rages then lights himself on fire!! My monk like's to rage and yell at everyone. I thought monk's were supposed to be peaceful creatures that believe in karma and ressurrection, not yelling and placing blame on everyone lol. Sometimes he has a point, other times he's just raging. Usually this is about me or the healer not asking for peels when we have 2 people dead set on killing one of us before the world ends, other times it's about me not helping him kill a target with low heath. About 50% of the time I will help with kills by doing fel flame spam or haunt if I know i can get it off, other times I'm not close enough to the kil target so I focus on cc'ing who ever is most likely to peel our monk. Not sure if I'm right or wrong here.

8) Going on the wrong target: For some reason EVERYONE I play with loves tunneling the opposing healer, while our team just gets wtfpwned. I personally consider killing healers only viable if it's a resto sham, or if we get off a good howl / swap, but 90% of the games I play, no matter who I'm partnered with, they seem to think tunneling the healer is the only way to win games. I try to tell them that isn't going to work once we get out of the 1600 bracket, but to no avail.

10) This brings up the whole reason I decided to make a noob post here .. When you enter the arena, what factors do you consider when picking who to "go on"? Do you pick the person you're able to do the most damage to and pressure them, or do you go on the person who's most likely to wtfpwn your team in order to slow their damage output and do hard swaps for kills? I'm honestly clueless here..

Soooooo:

Considering slaying dragons, and farming mounts / gold gets really boring, and I can't find partners for viable 3s comps .. wtf do I do from here? I'm thinking about jumping on the bandwagon and leveling my 81 warrior to 90 and using my free 90 for a mage once the WoD pre-order becomes available so I can always have a fotm class with many viable comps no matter what season it is instead of struggling through every melee cleave I face ..

Sad face :(

/end rant

PS .. any 1600 - 1700 resto druids / ele shams need a lock for LSD or any other viable lock comp??? I'm not asking to be carried, would just like to find similar people that I feel I am able to progress with.

• Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Mistweaver 1/1/2/2/0/1/2
  • 2v2: 2019
  • 3v3: 2549
  • RBG: 1906

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:00 PM

make a mage

#3 Icyfresh420

Icyfresh420
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Bleeding Hollow
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Frost 1/2/1/2/2/2/.
  • 2v2: 2401
  • 3v3: 2766
  • 5v5: 2403
  • RBG: 2316
  • LocationFreshland

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:16 PM

Make an enhance shaman or a dk

let the crying commence

#4 Bocalol

Bocalol
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Protection 0/1/2/1/0/2
  • 2v2: 1546
  • 3v3: 1759

Posted 25 January 2014 - 04:56 PM

It sounds like you're doing things to improve your team's play. Who the fuck uses vent for arena anyway? Doesn't everybody use skype?

You seem to realize the mistakes you make, which is good. Make sure to be critical of your play, when you think it's not your fault, you usually keep making the same mistakes. And I 100% would not play with those people you described. They sound like assholes with egos.

And choosing who to go on depends on the comp you play I guess. Someone with more recent experience can give advice on this. You can watch Snutz when he's streaming his lock and pick up stuff from that.

I would like to touch on one thing you said though:
"5) Offensive Dispels: Our priest just realized he has an offensive dispel last time we played .. also found out he can still mass dispell blocks / bubbles if he glyphs for it, but isn't able to anticipate when the opponent is going to do so, so they're topped off before their immunity get's dispelled. I can't really place blame here, he's been away most of MoP and just needs some more experience I guess."

Mass Dispelling blocks/bubbles has been around for a long, long, time. So basically this priest never got good at doing it?Tell your priest when they start getting low to precast MD (if nobody is in danger).

#5 Vulcon

Vulcon
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Kul Tiras
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Affliction 0/2/0/0/0/0
  • 2v2: 1560
  • 3v3: 1801

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:37 PM

Khazo,

Shoot me your real ID for some games. Also get skype :P

Always looking for people to play with who want to improve. currently multi-classing several toons in the 1800-2k area. I'm sure we can fix some of the issues your having and get you higher :)

V

#6 Nympheu

Nympheu
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Frost 0/0/0/2/1/2
  • 2v2: 1501
  • RBG: 2312
  • LocationLondon

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:19 PM

RE the bad synergy between locks & priest, I *think* maybe it is also down to your priest.

MC is fabulous - in 2s. I highly doubt at our kinda level of rating the priest would get any kind of time to freecast and get a full MC off. I get why he wants it, because it is great in 2s, but it's relatively useless in 3s. Against things like warr/dk and double melee teams they're probably going to just sit on the priest so having tendrils means he can pw:s, roots and then take feathers to gtfo. Also guise doesn't get broken straight away :) Against other teams he can take psyfiend if he makes a macro to automatically shield it to give it a bit of health, might live long enough to get a fear off as they only have 2k hp... alternatively the other team may just use a proc to kill it but that's more of an advantage to you than a talent he can't even use. It is down to preference but I'm under the impression that in 3s MC is relatively useless.

Twitter.com/Cheninix

#7 Axenation

Axenation
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Twisting Nether
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents:
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:38 PM

@Amexx - I'm gonna use my free 90 to roll a mage once the WoD pre order comes out :ph34r:

@Icyfresh - I have no interest in playing either of those classes and being trained 24/7 doesn't really bother me.

@Broozr - They really aren't that bad. They're actually way more level headed than most people that I've played with. I just don't think they really share the same mindset that I have. So after we finish each session, I leave frustrated. They do improve, but at this rate we mite hit 1700 once or twice again before the season is over :(

@Vulcon - Of course I have / prefer skype. I'll pm you my info. I'm very interested in doing this :)

Against things like warr/dk and double melee teams they're probably going to just sit on the priest so having tendrils means he can pw:s, roots and then take feathers to gtfo

I wish. Most double melee teams we face sit on me and I generally flop over within a minute. If they go on the our priest it's usually a win for us. Regardless, roots / feather would be equally beneficial to me.

Also guise doesn't get broken straight away :) Against other teams he can take psyfiend if he makes a macro to automatically shield it to give it a bit of health, might live long enough to get a fear off as they only have 2k hp... alternatively the other team may just use a proc to kill it but that's more of an advantage to you than a talent he can't even use. It is down to preference but I'm under the impression that in 3s MC is relatively useless.

I agree MC is completely useless in 3s. Even if the cast goes off, someone is still taking damage from two people while the priest is not healing. (Yes, I died today was I was 50% with a warrior on me saying "I need heals" while the priest was trying to MC someone...)

--------------------------------------------------

We did a few games this morning. I paid more attention to what was happening overall and I realized even with bad talent choices we were losing games simply due to lack of communication from the priest. Not calling out when he is CC'd and me using cool downs early because I can't rely on the priest to say if he can or can't heal me. I generally eat cookies anytime i'm 50% - 60% even if no one is on me, one game I've even asked if I needed to eat it and got no reply (seconds later I ate my cookie as they swapped to me and i died anyways). It's also become 2nd nature to do things to prevent any situation that could cause one of us to die, for example every time a mage deeps one of us I react by spell locking or coiling, then fearing him till the deep wears off...not sure if that's good or bad that i'm ALWAYS doing that. Atleast I convinced him to start taking gates with me when im getting roflstomped .. before the dps would just get to me before he would.

Also, I figured out why they bitch about me playing open-mic with ventrilo. It cuts off the first few words that I say because vent sucks. Next time we play I'll just tell them that I won't do it unless they use skype. That alone should hopefully cut out half of our communication errors.

Ps... anyone know what exactly causes lock gates to bug out? It's really frustrating to lose by default just because my gateway isn't working.

#8 Vulcon

Vulcon
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Kul Tiras
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Affliction 0/2/0/0/0/0
  • 2v2: 1560
  • 3v3: 1801

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:21 PM

The issue with lock gate if I remember correctly is roots, if you are rooted anywhere near the gate you will need to run away from it before you can use it again.

MC for priest is horrible in 3s period. Also lock priest synergy isnt that bad so long as your communicate with your priest about using aoe fear and watching your DR's.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 3v3, warlock, lock, noob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users