Jump to content

How do you become one of the best?


  • Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 Pericth

Pericth
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Arthas
  • Glutsturm / Emberstorm
  • Posts: 77
  • Talents: Feral 2/2/2/1/0/0/2
  • 2v2: 2448
  • 3v3: 2430

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:03 PM

View PostClickerz, on 19 January 2014 - 06:31 PM, said:

Its super important to also try to play w/ people who are better than you so you can learn from them and also play vs better teams(not gonna get anywhere by mashing low rated over and over or staying at a constant level).

Not true. I'm not trying to step on your toes, don't get feral on me. But translating your point into sports to make this more obvious: You are saying that you would not be able to improve (physically) by training alone or with / against other people unless you get to the Olympics and compete against the best. - But WoW is different, it's not a sports, bla bla, yea I know.

I am living proof that playing on an average rating against average players is a very good way to improve. I don't need super-experienced top-class players to tell me what to do if I can recognize my own mistakes and do it better next time. Improvement is self-improvement, and even when you get to play with the best and get some title, what will you do once you're playing with mediocre players again? There's nobody to tell you what to do and then what, you gonna suck? Maybe, maybe not. But you will certainly not be able to help other players who once like you sought advice to improve themselves because your range of knowledge does not encompass a critical viewpoint on gameplay.

In low rated arena many mistakes are made on your enemies' side, yes, doesn't mean you can't spot them, use them against the enemy, use them to your advantage, but in order to first realize any mistakes you'd have to have a critical mindset, look at things and wonder why that happened, why that choice was made, were there other options etc. The key to becoming "the best" in anything is posing the question "why?" and learn from its answer. Like in real life. Awkwardly!

#22 Pouncedd

Pouncedd
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Posts: 1188
  • Talents: Survival 0/1/2/2/0/0/0
  • 3v3: 2315
  • RBG: 1333
  • LocationOhio

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:11 PM

Another thing I think is really important that also helped me is finding a group of people that you enjoy playing with like the actual people themselves. If you don't like the person or favor them then you won't synergize well with them. On top of that they have to be people who are willing to grow as players also and put in the time to get better with you. You can't just rage or go emo when you lose a game, you have to sit there and figure out what went wrong. These people you play with have to enjoy the game as much as you I feel like. And when I play with others I keep the group of arena teammates I play with small. I will go through phases of cycling through people until I find the right ones and then when it feels like it works I will run with it and try to grow with them. I don't hopscotch around with other people and play with a whole shit load of people I stay loyal and learn.
Twitch.tv/pounced for my stream

#23 sapnoob

sapnoob
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Posts: 135
  • Talents: Discipline 1/1/0/1/2/1
  • 2v2: 2335
  • 3v3: 2811
  • 5v5: 960
  • RBG: 2027

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:26 PM

you lie you cheat you steal!

#24 Braindance

Braindance
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Posts: 3775
  • Talents: Arms 1/1/1/1/1/2
  • 2v2: 1638
  • 3v3: 2172
  • RBG: 576
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:28 PM

View Postsapnoob, on 19 January 2014 - 07:26 PM, said:

you lie you cheat you steal!
Quoted for truth

View Postjustchecking, on 10 November 2014 - 11:58 PM, said:

Going to blizzcon looking for a fight is like going to the official wow arena forums for pvp advice :)

View PostRenaissance_Man, on 31 July 2013 - 04:31 AM, said:

If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, bin Laden, and you, I would shoot you twice.

View Postsimonfra1234, on 25 August 2011 - 08:46 PM, said:

bro you got +rep'd by rapture...

#25 Z4muZ

Z4muZ
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Twisting Nether
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Posts: 652
  • Talents: Subtlety 1/2/2/1/0/1/.
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:52 PM

View Postsapnoob, on 19 January 2014 - 07:28 PM, said:

you lie you cheat you steal!

View PostBraindance, on 19 January 2014 - 07:28 PM, said:

Quoted for truth

Is... is this a trick?
Posted Image

#26 jaimex

jaimex
  • Premium Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Posts: 2096
  • Talents: Elemental 0/2/0/1/0/0/.
  • 2v2: 1743
  • 3v3: 3121
  • 5v5: 864

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:53 PM

free rep for everyone

#27 Braindance

Braindance
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Posts: 3775
  • Talents: Arms 1/1/1/1/1/2
  • 2v2: 1638
  • 3v3: 2172
  • RBG: 576
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:00 PM

View PostZ4muZ, on 19 January 2014 - 07:52 PM, said:

Is... is this a trick?
Posted Image

View Postjustchecking, on 10 November 2014 - 11:58 PM, said:

Going to blizzcon looking for a fight is like going to the official wow arena forums for pvp advice :)

View PostRenaissance_Man, on 31 July 2013 - 04:31 AM, said:

If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, bin Laden, and you, I would shoot you twice.

View Postsimonfra1234, on 25 August 2011 - 08:46 PM, said:

bro you got +rep'd by rapture...

#28 Persephones

Persephones
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Argent Dawn
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Posts: 342
  • Talents: Affliction 0/0/1/2/0/1
  • RBG: 2123
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:42 PM

View PostPericth, on 19 January 2014 - 07:03 PM, said:

Not true. I'm not trying to step on your toes, don't get feral on me. But translating your point into sports to make this more obvious: You are saying that you would not be able to improve (physically) by training alone or with / against other people unless you get to the Olympics and compete against the best. - But WoW is different, it's not a sports, bla bla, yea I know.

It's semi true. The best way to learn in life is learning from your mistakes. You will learn very little by smashing scrubs. Your "skill" wont improve, but you'll get more comfortable with the class/keys etc. So yes, playing with better players and against better players will vastly increase your skill compared to playing with dogpoo players and globalling other dogpoo players. It's also logical and lies in your subconscious or w/e, if you're managing just fine, why the need to improve? However if you're struggling with something, your brain will seek to develop new ways of solving the issue.

View PostBraindance, on 22 June 2013 - 07:05 AM, said:

The current season is at a very good spot balance-wise. There is a comp variety that hasn't been seen in the game since s8.

#29 cippi

cippi
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Stormreaver
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Posts: 186
  • Talents: Discipline 1/1/1/1/1/1/1
  • 2v2: 1707
  • 3v3: 1519
  • RBG: 575

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:38 PM

Be ready for rerolling

Spoiler

Edited by samppax, 19 January 2014 - 10:39 PM.


#30 Ayrasaurus

Ayrasaurus
  • Junkies
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Posts: 3869
  • Talents: Arms 1/1/2/1/1/0
  • RBG: 2379
  • LocationYorkshire mates

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:43 PM

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1jjybu5VXRR


:3



Posted Image


emotional

Posted Image

Thaya Ayra Omegatfwnogfboys2k15


#31 Pericth

Pericth
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Arthas
  • Glutsturm / Emberstorm
  • Posts: 77
  • Talents: Feral 2/2/2/1/0/0/2
  • 2v2: 2448
  • 3v3: 2430

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:07 AM

View PostPersephones, on 19 January 2014 - 08:42 PM, said:

The best way to learn in life is learning from your mistakes. You will learn very little by smashing scrubs. Your "skill" wont improve, but you'll get more comfortable with the class/keys etc. So yes, playing with better players and against better players will vastly increase your skill compared to playing with dogpoo players and globalling other dogpoo players. It's also logical and lies in your subconscious or w/e, if you're managing just fine, why the need to improve? However if you're struggling with something, your brain will seek to develop new ways of solving the issue.

You are assuming that playing with better players automatically boosts your rating and you are competing at high ratings.

#32 jaimex

jaimex
  • Premium Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Posts: 2096
  • Talents: Elemental 0/2/0/1/0/0/.
  • 2v2: 1743
  • 3v3: 3121
  • 5v5: 864

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:09 AM

View PostAyrasaurus, on 19 January 2014 - 10:43 PM, said:


so scare

#33 Gekz

Gekz
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Maiev
  • Whirlwind
  • Posts: 319
  • Talents: Discipline 1/1/1/1/1/1
  • 2v2: 2399
  • 3v3: 2829
  • RBG: 2232

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:46 AM

gotta catch em all

#34 Persephones

Persephones
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Argent Dawn
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Posts: 342
  • Talents: Affliction 0/0/1/2/0/1
  • RBG: 2123
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:32 AM

View PostPericth, on 20 January 2014 - 12:07 AM, said:

You are assuming that playing with better players automatically boosts your rating and you are competing at high ratings.

Good players are generally at higher rating than bad players.. So playing with them will obviously face you against greater opponents. How is this not common sense?

View PostBraindance, on 22 June 2013 - 07:05 AM, said:

The current season is at a very good spot balance-wise. There is a comp variety that hasn't been seen in the game since s8.

#35 hekumzx

hekumzx
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Moon Guard
  • Emberstorm
  • Posts: 526
  • Talents: Restoration 0/2/2/1/0/0/.
  • 2v2: 2048
  • 3v3: 2776

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:37 AM

People that are critical of their mistakes and think about them after the game get better.  Your rating doesn't have to increase for you to become a better player.

Or you can play one class 14 seasons, do mechanics right, rage, think you never make mistakes and achieve high rating.  A lot of people don't like the high rated, "skilled players" like that - yet they still attain rating.

A comprehensive look at resto shaman, from the inside out - http://i.imgur.com/icr36xO.png

Posted Image

Official Blizzard Quote:

11/18/10
Balance isn't as easy as some seem to think and often balance is in the eye of the beholder.. We believe priests will be in good shape if not great..

#36 thumpiex

thumpiex
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Ravencrest
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Posts: 109
  • Talents: Enhancement 0/2/1/1/0/0
  • 2v2: 2051
  • 3v3: 2200
  • 5v5: 1055
  • RBG: 1341

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:22 AM

i would suggest not to team hop alot.. otherwise you wouldn't be able to learn how they will react to each scenario. playing with better players than yourself will help alot but try stick with them. playing enough games with the same people will teach you alot.

#37 Pericth

Pericth
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Arthas
  • Glutsturm / Emberstorm
  • Posts: 77
  • Talents: Feral 2/2/2/1/0/0/2
  • 2v2: 2448
  • 3v3: 2430

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:47 AM

View PostPersephones, on 20 January 2014 - 08:32 AM, said:

Good players are generally at higher rating than bad players.. So playing with them will obviously face you against greater opponents. How is this not common sense?
It's an assumption as I already said. The common sense you're referring to would be the logical conclusion that IF (this is the assumption) you play at higher ratings with better people, then you will most likely face equally high rated opponents. But it's an assumption nonetheless and if we assume that the opposite is the case, namely you're not playing at high ratings even though you play with better people, then you won't face high rated teams. Logic hurts.
I never said you're wrong, I only said that your argument is only valid if we make that assumption. :-)

#38 Contrololold

Contrololold
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Posts: 352
  • Talents: Restoration 1/0/2/1/1/0
  • RBG: 192

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:41 AM

I am naught but a 2x r1 duelist, teach me o gladiators
twitch.tv/xrags  -- streaming boomkin PoV:  dk/boom/rsham, mage/boom/rsham, rogue/boom/rsham, etc.

Sometimes resto / Mistweaver

#39 Persephones

Persephones
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Argent Dawn
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Posts: 342
  • Talents: Affliction 0/0/1/2/0/1
  • RBG: 2123
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:58 AM

View PostPericth, on 20 January 2014 - 09:47 AM, said:

It's an assumption as I already said. The common sense you're referring to would be the logical conclusion that IF (this is the assumption) you play at higher ratings with better people, then you will most likely face equally high rated opponents. But it's an assumption nonetheless and if we assume that the opposite is the case, namely you're not playing at high ratings even though you play with better people, then you won't face high rated teams. Logic hurts.
I never said you're wrong, I only said that your argument is only valid if we make that assumption. :-)

I just don't get your logic. If you play with better people, you might not start off at high rating, but by playing with good players you will naturally climb in rating and play against gradually better players (than yourself anyways). And as I mentioned before, by playing against gradually better players, it'll give you a struggle which will force you to think differently, try new ways of playing etc in order to succeed. Where as if you continue smashing scrubs you will simply continue your way because after all, it's good enough and sufficient, right?

Edited by Persephones, 20 January 2014 - 11:00 AM.

View PostBraindance, on 22 June 2013 - 07:05 AM, said:

The current season is at a very good spot balance-wise. There is a comp variety that hasn't been seen in the game since s8.

#40 Persephones

Persephones
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Argent Dawn
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Posts: 342
  • Talents: Affliction 0/0/1/2/0/1
  • RBG: 2123
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:59 AM

double post

Edited by Persephones, 20 January 2014 - 10:59 AM.

View PostBraindance, on 22 June 2013 - 07:05 AM, said:

The current season is at a very good spot balance-wise. There is a comp variety that hasn't been seen in the game since s8.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<