• Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Retribution 1/0/0/2/0/2
  • 2v2: 1482

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:10 AM

Better question might be is it worth maining*

Haven't played wow in a good while. Wanting to play my pally again as Ret MS but afaik Ret still isn't viable in RBGs, and from what I've seen/read ret's not great in arenas atm either. I've never been into rolling FOTM classes or rerolling whenever my class isnt the best, but I just wanna know if Ret is worth playing atm, and which 3s comp(s) it usually performs best in. All I've seen work so far is Ret/Hunter/Shaman(I'm sure there are more) and I hate having such limited viable comps to play.

Also if anyone PvEs and can fill me in on Rets viability there it's appreciated. Haven't PvE'd since WOTLK, and probably still won't, but just for a more well-rounded look at the spec.

#2 Regent

Regent
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Mistweaver 1/0/2/0/0/1
  • 2v2: 2273
  • 3v3: 2634
  • 5v5: 2359
  • RBG: 2126

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:45 AM

No pe

#3 Hankx

Hankx
  • Members

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:51 AM

hotfixs just went out there "Ret" got no dmg buff HAHA no never play ret

#4 Luminant

Luminant
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Retribution 1/0/0/1/0/0
  • 2v2: 1778
  • 3v3: 2550
  • RBG: 768

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:38 AM

View PostRegent, on 07 January 2014 - 01:45 AM, said:

No pe

#5 snugglebunny

snugglebunny

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:41 AM

simply put, there's no such thing as halfway crooks

#6 Darksoldierr

Darksoldierr
  • Junkies
  • Taurenclass_name
  • EU-Twisting Nether
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents:

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:02 AM

Its fun to play in BGs but not the best arena/rbg spec if you wish to get high. Its not impossible, just not
optimal
What do humans know of our pain? We have sung songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea.

#7 originalret

originalret
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Barthilas
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Retribution 1/0/0/2/0/0
  • RBG: 1851
  • LocationAus

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:11 PM

the way most people look at rets in arena these days:
why would i queue with that when i can take a warrior who performs just as well when operated by a chimp with a banana up its butt?

as for pve, similar story. most other classes scale better with gear. the latest hotfix to dk's blew us out of the water.

#8 ErosiaRet

ErosiaRet
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Retribution 1/0/0/2/0/0
  • 2v2: 1712
  • 3v3: 2206

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:19 PM

You must also set some expectations. For instance, what is "viable" to you. Is it 2200 or 2400? Look up the ladders and they give a clear indication of ret viability in arena. I myself skipped this season although I really enjoy ret when they can compete.

Sweet dreams.

#9 Phanact

Phanact
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Retribution 1/0/0/2/0/2/.
  • 2v2: 2414
  • 3v3: 2874
  • 5v5: 2234
  • RBG: 192

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:41 PM

Sure, ret's not "viable". But just as much fun as always if you ask me. You will be stuck to playing ret/hunt/sham though.

#10 Feliclandelo

Feliclandelo
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Shattered Hand
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Holy 0/0/1/2/2/1

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:53 PM

Either you play Ret/Hunter/priest or shaman and faceroll to 2500 or you simply stay in the 1700 bracket playing a shit spec.

Don't. Spec is shit and theres litterally no fun gameplay left as Ret in pvp.

#11 hangakuu

hangakuu
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Darkspear
  • Cyclone
  • 2v2: 2209
  • 3v3: 2712
  • RBG: 2126

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:41 PM

can confirm ret is boring

#12 Capers

Capers
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Arms 0/1/1/1/1/0/.
  • 2v2: 1391
  • 3v3: 1794
  • 5v5: 2165
  • LocationFlorida, U.S

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:56 PM

"Viable" on arenajunkies usually consists of like 2400-2600+. Ret might not be optimal for that rating simply because you can bring a warrior and do everything better. Rets aren't bad, warriors rogues and to a lesser extent DKs are just better options right now.

That being said, if you've never been a glad before, chances are you're not going to instantly get it this season. Don't worry about what's "viable" to people here, because their game is significantly different than people playing at lower ratings. You're probably not going to get rank 1 as a ret, but at the same time, you're probably not going to get rank 1 either way (not a shot at you, just that chances are you wont.) Ret's aren't trash by any means, some classes just do better at higher ratings. At lower/average ratings (2200 and below) rets work just as well. Unless you're 100% confident you can get rank 1, don't bother swapping. You won't get much higher with another class than you would as ret.
Posted Image

#13 Dahjy

Dahjy
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Shadow 1/1/2/1/2/1
  • 2v2: 1615
  • 3v3: 2206
  • RBG: 2125

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:57 PM

I enjoy playing my ret and I main it, but like they said you have an extremely limited amount of comps to play but I always love playing a support hybrid.  And IMO ret/hunter/healer is enjoyable to play but with the overlord RMD/WMD  it's like fighting an uphill battle all game.
Twitch.tv/Dahjy  WW monk / Ret arena/rbgs

#14 Luminant

Luminant
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Retribution 1/0/0/1/0/0
  • 2v2: 1778
  • 3v3: 2550
  • RBG: 768

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:48 PM

View PostCapers, on 16 January 2014 - 08:56 PM, said:

Ret's aren't trash by any means, some classes just do better at higher ratings. At lower/average ratings (2200 and below) rets work just as well. Unless you're 100% confident you can get rank 1, don't bother swapping. You won't get much higher with another class than you would as ret.
This is where you're wrong. Ret is actually that bad. An equally skilled ret will never face an equally skilled warrior simply because they're that much weaker than warriors. A warrior can never eat a trap/chase behind pillars/DR 800 stuns and still win. Warriors are a joooooooooooke.

#15 Capers

Capers
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Arms 0/1/1/1/1/0/.
  • 2v2: 1391
  • 3v3: 1794
  • 5v5: 2165
  • LocationFlorida, U.S

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:13 PM

View PostLuminant, on 17 January 2014 - 02:48 PM, said:

This is where you're wrong. Ret is actually that bad. An equally skilled ret will never face an equally skilled warrior simply because they're that much weaker than warriors. A warrior can never eat a trap/chase behind pillars/DR 800 stuns and still win. Warriors are a joooooooooooke.

And as I said, it's not exactly rets being bad, just warriors being way too good. Although I'm not sure how ratings work now, and whether or not they're super inflated because I took a few month break and just got back yesterday. Just kept track of class changes and streams and stuff.

Rets are just stuck to few comps they can play, and warriors are just overall better. It's the same with like Warlocks. Locks aren't bad, mages are just wayyy too good in comparison. If you're good as ret you should do fine to the level an average player will achieve. He's never been glad, so chances are he won't get it this season either way.
Posted Image

#16 Crlk

Crlk
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • 2v2: 1482

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:43 AM

no i didnt mean r1 viable, i just meant is playing it a complete waste of time/is it that bad. i've never been able to maintain interest in wow long enough to push for any kind of rating lol. i always get bored and play something else, or play alts, usually before i even finish a conquest set, but the way it's set up now is nice since i can be caught up with everyone else even if i come into the season late.

played around with a bunch of classes/old alts. destro seems pretty braindead, it's fun and all but taking out just under half someones health with one cb is a bit stupid imo. boomkins are meh, fire mage is awkward now, frost is as bad as destro, and didnt rly enjoy just being a dmg monster as a dk. anyway, went back to ret and been having fun. i mean i can pretty clearly see why we're not the best spec atm but i've had a bit of fun in 2s just capping pts. havent bothered with any rating or run 3s at all yet. get trained every game but i pretty muched expected that. half the time i end up having to use HA to gain hp so that i can save myself/my partner since it seems like my heals are a lot weaker than i remember.

seem to be having the best success playing with a rogue so far. i'm playing casually just to cap and not even using voice com so a lot of my success with the rogue might just be similar playstyles. since i get trained/mongo'd so hard every match the rogue stealth usually gives us a really strong opener(plus good cc) and gives me a chance to set up/burst that i usually struggle with playing with other classes due to having to use most of my hp to heal, and a lot of the time needing HA just to generate hp to stay alive lol. did alright playing with a destro lock too.

+ ye i havent seen rets working well in 3s with anything but a hunter since i've been back

#17 Darksoldierr

Darksoldierr
  • Junkies
  • Taurenclass_name
  • EU-Twisting Nether
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents:

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:18 AM

If you are a decent/good player, you can get glad rank with any PvP spec/class in game. Ret maybe not rank one material right now, but it is playable
What do humans know of our pain? We have sung songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea.

#18 Dataco

Dataco
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Frost 1/0/0/2/1/2
  • 2v2: 2208
  • 3v3: 2250
  • 5v5: 2211
  • RBG: 576

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:47 AM

just play whatever you think is fun.

#19 BigGreen87_1344806

BigGreen87_1344806
  • Members
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Exodar
  • Retaliation
  • Talents: Restoration 0/2/2/1/0/0
  • 2v2: 1939
  • 3v3: 2012
  • 5v5: 1435
  • RBG: 576

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:11 AM

Rets are fun.  Play what you enjoy and not based on what everyone else wants to play.

#20 BurncrawHD

BurncrawHD
  • Members

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:23 AM

The thing is

Rets are fun.  Play what you enjoy and not based on what everyone else wants to play.

I, personally, dont enjoy losing games.Maybe I like playing ret, but its devastating if you lose a lot of games, which results in bad mood and not having fun.

So you cant really bring that argument.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<