• Vengeance
  • Talents: Holy 1/1/0/1/0/1
  • 2v2: 2121
  • 3v3: 2125
  • 5v5: 2031
  • RBG: 2040
  • LocationPA

Posted 22 December 2013 - 12:50 AM

Just curious how high can I actually get playing destro.  It seems the majority of  higher locks are all affliction and i hav'nt played hardly any comps with locks it.  Only 1 destro and 1 aff..  
I understand it's mainly on how well i play it and my teammates but as a general, destro locks kinda end at what rating and the majority of aff picks up when?  Thanks!

Also, it seems i'm hardly targeted when I run with the mage but when I am, i do almost no damage and get burned like i'm naked.

#2 watchmepwn

watchmepwn
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Talnivarr
  • Reckoning / Abrechnung
  • Talents: Frost 0/0/0/2/1/2
  • 2v2: 2136
  • 3v3: 2880
  • 5v5: 2354
  • RBG: 768

Posted 22 December 2013 - 12:52 AM

rank1 US lock played it with destro, so it can be as high as the sky.

#3 Shaderz

Shaderz
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Korgath
  • Vengeance
  • LocationPA

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:27 AM

Realistically I know this, I'm not an R1 player so i'm curious as when the average destro players fails and all the affliction locks keep climbing,

#4 Filthpig

Filthpig
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Bleeding Hollow
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Restoration 0/2/0/1/0/0
  • 2v2: 1644
  • 3v3: 2264
  • 5v5: 192
  • RBG: 1945

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:32 AM

Destro will have more influential damage in a match but it's MUCH MUCH more difficult to get the damage in. I feel that you have to be better to play destro against good warriors/rogues right now so you need partners that can help you set up. Both specs can work equally as well but it's going to be harder to find teams that are willing to play destro. MLS and maybe LSD are your only options really.

#5 endocytotic

endocytotic
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Holy 1/1/1/1/0/1
  • 2v2: 1944
  • 3v3: 1854
  • 5v5: 2207
  • RBG: 959

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:02 AM

Can do anything you put your mind to.

#6 watchmepwn

watchmepwn
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Talnivarr
  • Reckoning / Abrechnung
  • Talents: Frost 0/0/0/2/1/2
  • 2v2: 2136
  • 3v3: 2880
  • 5v5: 2354
  • RBG: 768

Posted 22 December 2013 - 12:56 PM

I think HAVO + COIL + CD'S + Chaosbolt is your way to go.
Anyway you got your answer, destro can be played at the highest level at the moment.
Even though affliction is a safer and probably an easier way to do it.

#7 Shaderz

Shaderz
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Korgath
  • Vengeance
  • LocationPA

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:47 PM

Okay. I'll have to maybe tap into affliction for a few bg's and see what i can do.  I prefer destro and i'm much better at it.  Guess I have to bite the bullet.  Last night was running MLP since we couldn't find a shaman and was stuck in the 1750 (+ - 30) for almost 2 hours.  Melee cleave is just hard to fight. WMD is a much easier comp to deal with.  At least for me.   Anyhow, Thanks for the comments everyone.  Greatly appreciate the insight.

On a side note.  Main reason i'm afraid of affliction is damage mitigation.  I feel like i'm getting hit by a truck and have few abilities to stop it. If i can't get a portal off it's an instant GG.

#8 Fizion

Fizion
  • Premium Junkies
  • Curse Premium
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents:
  • RBG: 2219

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:54 PM

I quit affliction because it's so boring.  Destro is a stressful kind of fun.  You can change a match in a 5 sec span if you're able to get off two chaos bolts on someone.  The thing is that it takes the stars to align to get one off with all of the interrupts or them moving out of range/los during the cast time.

I'm finding it harder each session to get the havoc double coils off against teams with warriors using the reflect bot.  I'm prob going to use shadowfury soon.

#9 Shaderz

Shaderz
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Korgath
  • Vengeance
  • LocationPA

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:36 PM

I've also questions which one is better. DC or Furry.  Both have pros and cons.  I recently switched to coil and it seems easier to avoid breaking CC's in the heat of the moment.  Just some days I wish i still had that AOE stun when i'm getting pillared.  

Affliction is boring. I feel like i'm just a fly in the game and nobody really cares what I do.  Just spreading Aids to all the good boys and girls.  Then they get pissed off, tunnel me and I die after cd's.  

GG

#10 Hackattack3

Hackattack3
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Darkspear
  • Cyclone
  • Talents: Destruction 1/2/0/1/0/0
  • 2v2: 1609
  • 3v3: 1792
  • RBG: 2050

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:58 AM

View Postwatchmepwn, on 22 December 2013 - 12:52 AM, said:

rank1 US lock played it with destro, so it can be as high as the sky.

I definitely do not consider destruction a skill spec by any means, so in my opinion, it might be top tier viable, but only with fantastic teammates that can peel and cross-cc.  It's top tier viable b/c of the inherent abilities of warlocks, durability (soul link, self heals, ports), and some of the best spammable cc in the game w/ fear.  The spec is very limited and does not have a lot of tools to get burst off.  I know you are thinking death coil, blood horror, and havoc but in practice it just does not work out this way.  Half the time they path out of LOS, behind a pillar or down some stairs.  Dark soul for destro gives %crit, not increased casting speed to get casts through.  If you have a slow debuff on you, forget about ever landing a CS, honestly don't even bother unless the team is absolutely not paying attention.

Anyone follow boxing?  They keep track of "jabs" and "power punches" landed and the "power punches" are usually 20-30%, that's what destro feels like.  You need extremely patient and skilled teammates, a lot of getting free to cast is out of your hands.  I would love to see a chaos bolt success rate for +2k rated destro locks.

The only thing that destro brings above the other specs is an excellent execute.  Sit on an ember for shadowburn and you have one of the best executes in the game.  I think gimmicky strats like havoc + shadowburn pets is gay and will/might already be fixed.

#11 Hackattack3

Hackattack3
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Darkspear
  • Cyclone

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:59 AM

View PostShaderz, on 22 December 2013 - 01:27 AM, said:

Realistically I know this, I'm not an R1 player so i'm curious as when the average destro players fails and all the affliction locks keep climbing,

Average destro fails when he runs into people that use their kick, have a cast speed reduction, or have a wind shear focus macro.

#12 Hackattack3

Hackattack3
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Darkspear
  • Cyclone

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:01 AM

View PostFilthpig, on 22 December 2013 - 01:32 AM, said:

Destro will have more influential damage in a match but it's MUCH MUCH more difficult to get the damage in. I feel that you have to be better to play destro against good warriors/rogues right now so you need partners that can help you set up. Both specs can work equally as well but it's going to be harder to find teams that are willing to play destro. MLS and maybe LSD are your only options really.

You drop warriors/rogues as a destro lock with a teammate that can stun and some cc on a healer.  With Cds up, you just push incinerates/fel flames enough to get into execute range.  Any decent warrior will save reflects for CB and a rogue will either have you silenced or not peak around a corner w/o cloak.

#13 Hackattack3

Hackattack3
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Darkspear
  • Cyclone

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:07 AM

View PostShaderz, on 22 December 2013 - 06:36 PM, said:

I've also questions which one is better. DC or Furry.  Both have pros and cons.  I recently switched to coil and it seems easier to avoid breaking CC's in the heat of the moment.  Just some days I wish i still had that AOE stun when i'm getting pillared.  

Affliction is boring. I feel like i'm just a fly in the game and nobody really cares what I do.  Just spreading Aids to all the good boys and girls.  Then they get pissed off, tunnel me and I die after cd's.  

GG

Go with the passive unending resolve glyph.  Make sure you have a port down when game starts on arenas that are tough to get a gate down, this way you can at least port bladestorms & rogue/mage openers when they charge you aggressively.  If they interrupt you early, keep kiting and get gate up.  Never let your pet get cleaved in a bladestorm or frost orb, if pet drops you are in a pickle.  Find healers that know how to use gate.  I would recommend playing with a rdruid, you can take symbiosis and are far less reliant on the healer keeping you "topped" off.  Rdruids also help setup a lot of cross-cc opportunities and free you up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<