WMD new Mage problems

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Pewlolz

Pewlolz
  • Members

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:17 PM

Hey guys,

at first thanks for taking the time reading this topic and a big thanks in advance
for answering.

I cant post my armory, but i only got 4/5 set pieces and weapons.

I've been playing Mage for the first time in 3s yesterday, before i only farmed my 10k points cap in 2s with a ret paladin. im telling you this so you understand that im most possibly doing some major errors, because capping the mage with a ret in 2s meant going mongoloid style and not playing really.

So yesterday i played 3s for the first time as mage and we went up to about 1.7k as WMD, what was quite nice for my first 3s on mage, but there were some issues you might be able to help me with:
Against all melee cleaves, hell even against any team that has a warrior my damage was always the lowest of all 4 dd's. In short matches, my damage is always top notch, but it seems to me outside my 1 min cd's my damage is really low. I dont really know what to do if i dont have FoF procs up, and im really nervous because i take a shitload of damage and as im mainly playing heal my instinct seems to be more on surviving than on doing damage. So im mainly casting poly's, RoF's and stuff to survive.

In short: How do i keep damage up outside of CD's, and do you guys think its more of an question of experience as DD/mage or am i doing something major wrong?

Thanks,
Myu

#2 stevieshankalot

stevieshankalot
  • Junkies

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:31 PM

use icelance.

Casting is a fools game.

Edited by Abolishedhey, 05 December 2013 - 01:32 PM.

brb everyone

#3 Xerox

Xerox
  • Members
  • LocationDubai

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:35 PM

Icelance forever
Posted Image

#4 Jarzombek

Jarzombek
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Elemental 0/1/2/1/0/2

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:56 PM

How much 3s experience do you have? WMX is pretty mongoloid friendly because of the absurd damage output, so I guess you can win just keeping living bomb on everything that moves and spam lances and FFBs on the weakest target all game long. But vs teams that train you, I'd suggest pushing in with the opener, if you don't get a kill, kite the melees behind pillars (with your healer in los ofc) and save the procs for that. Punish them for overextending and they will either go back or pop defensives.
CC healer when someones below 70% or so instead of trying to 100-0 someone (I know, WMX has the damage to do that several times per minute...)
Temporal Shield, don't waste it! That's about experience though, but check your recount and try to get as big heals from it as possible.
Keep track of root DR, alot of classes can get out of them on their own, but 1/4 novas are useless.
Nothing to do? Spellsteal some.

When your defense is second nature, you will waddle around less and it's easier to set up kills. Let the warrior do the retarded pressure damage, and you set up the kills. The more experience the more kill/force big CDs opportunities you'll see, and the damage meter will go up.

Edited by Jarzombek, 05 December 2013 - 01:57 PM.

#5 Accelerator

Accelerator
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Affliction 0/0/1/2/0/1
  • RBG: 2011

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:32 PM

offense is the greatest mage defense!
Swag Swag Swag

Woop

#6 Azuremars

Azuremars
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Restoration 2/2/2/1/0/0
  • RBG: 1641

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:02 PM

As a mage you need to CC and play aggressive or you're dead meat. Mages are the squishiest class in the game so you have to minimize melee contact on you. Keep them in novas (remember nova and freeze DR), poly when possible, use ring around pillars and pom ring on top of freezes or novas.

Your druid needs to keep cloning DPS because he will never be able to heal two melee training you.

#7 Azuremars

Azuremars
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Restoration 2/2/2/1/0/0
  • RBG: 1641

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:05 PM

As a mage you need to CC and play aggressive or you're dead meat. Mages are the squishiest class in the game so you have to minimize melee contact on you. Keep them in novas (remember nova and freeze DR), poly when possible, use ring around pillars and pom ring on top of freezes or novas.

Your druid needs to keep cloning DPS because he will never be able to heal two melee training you.

#8 NiNLeX

NiNLeX
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Ravencrest
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Affliction 0/1/2/0/0/0

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:31 AM

When your stuff is on CD (Frozen Orb, deep, AT) just keep living bomb applied on targets and focus on CC on healer / the other dps and keep kiting their melee. Only cast frostbolt to prepare for burst (5 icicles). Usually when you run out of blocks you're dead pretty soon so don't even think about saving your damage cooldowns, just take any opportunity to kill when you can land a full poly on healer. (You can get deep + cs on him right after + another poly). So the answer you seek is that mage actually does crappy damage outside of FoF and FFB procs. Your power comes from your insane burst and the ability to CC enemy healer for guaranteed 15 secs every 30 seconds.

#9 Dayzlol

Dayzlol
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Frost 0/2/0/2/1/2
  • 2v2: 1573
  • 3v3: 2427
  • RBG: 1838

Posted 08 December 2013 - 03:13 PM

View PostAccelerator, on 05 December 2013 - 02:32 PM, said: