Is Discipline still viable?

priest discipline holy viable

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 yolpie

yolpie
  • Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:36 AM

So, I realize that Holy is the way to go now. I just got back to WoW (after taking a big hiatus since 5.2), and I've been very used to Discipline priest in PvP. I absolutely adore the shields and bubbles, and I love grace.

I tried Holy for a few 2s and 3s, but I feel like I still prefer Discipline over Holy - I don't feel like I'm using chastise very much.

So, this boils down to a single question: is Discipline still viable?

#2 Hiiwa

Hiiwa
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Shadow 1/2/0/2/2/1
  • RBG: 1751

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:37 AM

disc still works if you really like it

#3 Gekz

Gekz
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Discipline 0/0/1/0/2/0/1
  • 2v2: 192
  • 3v3: 2787
  • RBG: 1730

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:10 AM

not rly

#4 Xiko

Xiko
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Blackmoore
  • Glutsturm / Emberstorm
  • Talents: Windwalker 1/0/1/2/0/1
  • 2v2: 1472
  • 3v3: 1831

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:21 AM

try to heal more than 1target mate ;<

#5 Xerox

Xerox
  • Members
  • LocationDubai

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:31 AM

Not really :/

Holy priest has higher throughput, more cc, a lightwell haha and barely (if ever) needs to cast.

Playing disc is much more fun to play, but being roflstomped every game, not so much ^^
Posted Image

#6 realgar

realgar
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Shadow 0/2/0/2/2/2
  • RBG: 1572

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:39 PM

also you need like 15k spirit to not go oom in a 3s match =/

#7 Djandawg

Djandawg
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Genjuros
  • Raserei / Frenzy
  • Talents: Shadow

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:54 AM

So, I realize that Holy is the way to go now. I just got back to WoW (after taking a big hiatus since 5.2), and I've been very used to Discipline priest in PvP. I absolutely adore the shields and bubbles, and I love grace.

I tried Holy for a few 2s and 3s, but I feel like I still prefer Discipline over Holy - I don't feel like I'm using chastise very much.

So, this boils down to a single question: is Discipline still viable?

well, this was brought up in a 5.4 release discussion, all elitist gorillas who said it's gonna be a matter of preference and/or disc is gonna be the choice of pros, are now playing holy.
So you go figure.

Edited by Djandawg, 19 November 2013 - 02:42 PM.

#8 sorrypriest

sorrypriest
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Discipline 0/0/1/2/2/0/1
  • 2v2: 672
  • 3v3: 2607
  • RBG: 960

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:48 PM

not rly bro .. i paly 2340 in 2s with disc, but in 3s / 5s u cant play disc

#9 Gekz

Gekz
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Discipline 0/0/1/0/2/0/1
  • 2v2: 192
  • 3v3: 2787
  • RBG: 1730

Posted 24 November 2013 - 01:04 PM

Played some disc earlier, it's actually sooooo bad compared to holy. I might even go as far as to say it's worse than it was in malevolent season purely because you can't ever top someone, whereas in malevolent season you could still crit heal for 150k holy spark flash heals. The only upside for disc is it's better against cleaves that train you, it's hell trying to heal teammates. You can prevent a decent amount of damage but that's about it.

#10 Xerox

Xerox
  • Members
  • LocationDubai

Posted 24 November 2013 - 01:14 PM

Played some disc earlier, it's actually sooooo bad compared to holy. I might even go as far as to say it's worse than it was in malevolent season purely because you can't ever top someone, whereas in malevolent season you could still crit heal for 150k holy spark flash heals. The only upside for disc is it's better against cleaves that train you, it's hell trying to heal teammates. You can prevent a decent amount of damage but that's about it.

^ This!
Posted Image

#11 endocytotic

endocytotic
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Holy 1/1/1/1/0/1/.
  • 2v2: 1957
  • 3v3: 1055
  • 5v5: 864
  • RBG: 768

Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:08 PM

Can't stand it anymore.

#12 Lytning

Lytning
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Discipline 1/1/0/1/2/1
  • 2v2: 2211
  • 3v3: 2505

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:23 PM

I love it, but at the same time I'm a 2200-2300 disc last season (2220 3s, and if you count 2s, 2300 in that) who hasn't been above 2050 this season. It's definitely worse but I play the game to have fun, and holy isn't fun. Not being high rated in arena also isn't fun, but I'd rather win some as disc than win more as holy.

You CAN do it, but it takes a while to find good partners and you have to play smarter and more as a team. You can't insta cc and get fears out with hots/lightwell healing meanwhile. You have to either use partner's instant cc like deep to fear out, or get good at closing gaps and juking enemy ward / displacer beast, meanwhile knowing if you need to heal instead of getting the fear at all (since when you run for fears you're usually in stealth, you need to shell or bubble before hand and still might not be able to go in for it). You need to utilize shell and the need to cast which means friendlies can't go los whenever since you're actually in the middle of casting on them, and sometimes before a burst it's a good idea to have semi-defensive positioning (basically let priest line interrupt while healing) in order to spam shell so the priest can damage and cc with the team instead of just doing it as holy.

Tl;dr: You have to think more and you can't suck, and you'll still lose more. I think it's worth it, most do not or simply can not.
Youtube: Youtube.com/LytningPvP
Live Stream: Twitch.tv/LytningPvP
Twitter: Twitter.com/LytningPvP

Posted Image

#13 zenton

zenton
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Discipline 0/0/1/1/2/1

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:21 PM

Have to agree with the above. Playing my priest(s) as Disc since TBC and there were seasons where it really shone and some - like this - where it does not. I managed to get up to ~1900 with this priest in pure gear last season and I barely can find any serious team this season. Thing is what Lytningx said - you and your teammates have to play perfectly and even then you have a high chance to lose. If you love Disc you will play it (if nothing else, BGs) but I doubt that you can reach any serious rating with a LFG/oqueue group.

#14 Seu

Seu
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Discipline

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:46 PM

i think the main problem with disc right now is that it relies on you casting, and expecting to win games by casting heals isnt realistic outside of 2v2

as people get better gear holy really scales like utter shit though and right now its hard to say if holy is any better than disc in terms of actual healing, and you are just a chastise fear bot. to the guy who said disc might be as bad as malevolent season - i think this season is the worst the priest class has ever had it. every spec is shit tier in 3s and we even got fully replaced as the rogue mage healer :(

#15 Primius

Primius
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Mistweaver 1/0/2/0/0/1
  • 2v2: 2039
  • 3v3: 2519
  • 5v5: 1150
  • RBG: 959

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:19 PM

What gearing options should you go as if you play disc? Is full mastery/int still viable? Or should you go for crazy amounts of spirit so you can heal for longer but overall weaker heals?

My priest is just sitting because I hate holy so much. I haven't even been capping out but I really want to play him again but I am going to give it a go as Disc since I always enjoyed that spec, and I just do not like the playstyle and lack of options as Holy. Since I will be playing with mostly friends 1900-2k is all I really care about on this toon.

So just need some help on how to gem/gear for Disc since spirit/haste is how I am geared since the last time I played I was trying to learn Holy.

#16 Djandawg

Djandawg
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Genjuros
  • Raserei / Frenzy
  • Talents: Shadow

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:50 AM

If you have to play 3s as disc, go mastery and crit and ignore spirit, you are likely to finish with a lot of mana as someone will die due to low healing

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: priest, discipline, holy, viable

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users