Affliction or Destro

warlock spec

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Xathrid

Xathrid
  • Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:03 PM

Is it just me or after all the nerfs they have done to affliction you can't put out enough pressure in 2s or 3s to make anyone really notice when you play affliction. But destro still can put out a lot of single target dps, if they can cast so many interrupts casting classes are having a hard time.

My question is which spec is better as of right now in 3s? I can always seem to pump out more damage as affliction, but it all feels like fluff damage. Destro if I can ever cast I can kill people, but that doesn't happen often because warlocks are just getting yolo trained in arenas right now.

Any thoughts?

• Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Blackrock
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Subtlety 1/1/2/2/0/1
  • 2v2: 1822
  • 3v3: 2438
  • RBG: 1779

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:39 PM

Well with warriors being on every team its stupid to even try to cast a chaos bolt so affliction is better.

#3 Tya

Tya
  • Junkies
  • Curse Premium

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:06 PM

View PostClichex, on 24 October 2013 - 02:39 PM, said:

Well with warriors being on every team its stupid to even try to cast a chaos bolt so affliction is better.

Chaos bolt isn't nearly as important to destro damage as it once was.
<Memorable quote>

#4 Breez

Breez
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Destruction 1/2/0/2/2/2
  • 2v2: 1452
  • 3v3: 2695
  • 5v5: 863
  • RBG: 2070

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:17 PM

Affliction is allright, its just few classes have really broken damage atm. Like mages and warriors for example.

#5 Fizion

Fizion
  • Premium Junkies
  • Curse Premium
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Affliction 0/0/0/2/0/0/0
  • 3v3: 2005

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:05 PM

It's not the best way of judging, but as of this morning on US realms there are 21 aff locks above 2200 and 3 destro locks above 2200.

#6 asdjbasf122

asdjbasf122
  • Junkies

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:05 PM

Affliction 3s
Destro 2s

Honestly you should learn to play both specs because you never know what's going to be better in the upcoming patches. Also it's fun to try the different playstyles.

Edited by Abolishedtms, 24 October 2013 - 09:06 PM.

#7 Tya

Tya
  • Junkies
  • Curse Premium

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:33 AM

View PostAbolishedtms, on 24 October 2013 - 09:05 PM, said:

Affliction 3s
Destro 2s

Honestly you should learn to play both specs because you never know what's going to be better in the upcoming patches. Also it's fun to try the different playstyles.

Is "destro 2s" some kind of blind guess on your part? There are more than 5x aff locks than destro locks at 2.2k+ 2v2. Destro is pretty painful in 2s.
<Memorable quote>

#8 Durok

Durok
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Aman'Thul
  • Raserei / Frenzy
  • Talents: Enhancement

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:59 AM

i wonder how you actually kill something as destro.
100k cb (while having like 450-500k hp) is nice but takes almost 3s to pull off and the rest hit like a wet noodle and is healed by every passive heal crap.
my wl has 2 grevious rest tyrannical and i tried to kill a ww monk who just stand around and used healing orbs and i couldnt kill him with pve rota lol
not to mention what happens if there is a pillar.

#9 Railander

Railander
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Azralon
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Demonology 1/2/0/1/0/0/0
  • 2v2: 1490
  • 3v3: 1516
  • 5v5: 1916
  • RBG: 1833

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:00 PM

View PostTya, on 25 October 2013 - 01:33 AM, said:

Is "destro 2s" some kind of blind guess on your part? There are more than 5x aff locks than destro locks at 2.2k+ 2v2. Destro is pretty painful in 2s.
destro pumps about double afli's single target dmg. you simply cc somebody and spamcast the other, building up pressure and forcing cds until they die.
seems to work a lot more effectively than afli in 2s
in 3s, though, destro couldn't be more garbage.

Posted Image

#10 Xathrid

Xathrid
  • Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:47 PM

Thanks for all the comments, however if affliction truly is better in 2s and 3s, what should I do as a 2v2 comp in 2s? and is DK Lock Shaman any good?

#11 Itha

Itha
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Eredar
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Demonology 0/1/1/0/0/1
  • RBG: 959

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:13 PM

I think 2s is only playable as owl / affliction. I've done some warrior / affliction on 2k mmr but you can only win because the warriors on that rating are horrible and carried by class. Destro / heal against any warrior heal is just a pain in the ass... they can fail like infinity times and still survive.

Shadowcleave in 3s is good but I havent played it that much this season and so far I have found that it has the same weakness as wls which is meleecleaves hence almost 70% of the current teams are a counter to you.

#12 Ahlaundoh

Ahlaundoh
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Anetheron
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents:
  • RBG: 1990

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:56 PM

View PostRailander, on 25 October 2013 - 05:00 PM, said:

destro pumps about double afli's single target dmg. you simply cc somebody and spamcast the other, building up pressure and forcing cds until they die.
seems to work a lot more effectively than afli in 2s
in 3s, though, destro couldn't be more garbage.
is this real life
Posted Image
Posted Image
pve the best

#13 terribleperson

terribleperson
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Lightbringer
  • Whirlwind
  • Talents: Retribution 1/0/0/2/0/2/2
  • 2v2: 1898
  • 3v3: 1708
  • RBG: 192

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:24 PM

View PostXathrid, on 25 October 2013 - 06:47 PM, said:

Thanks for all the comments, however if affliction truly is better in 2s and 3s, what should I do as a 2v2 comp in 2s? and is DK Lock Shaman any good?

I can attest to the fact that dk/lock/sham is not very strong. Granted, i'm not nearly as good as I used to be. I can tell that it's weak though, man. The fact of the matter is this; if you can build early insane pressure -good- eventually the team will just rot because the healer falls behind. If you fail to get that pressure and stick to the healer hard enough, you'll lose. Nearly every team in the queue at the moment is some sort of extreme high burst comp, and that just counters dot pressure, in my opinion. So while you're waiting for cd's to do meaningful dmg once more, the other team is probably going to ride the shit out of you and lay a fat dick out on your chest. And it's not like dk's are the tankiest spec, so if they peel for you, teams can just swap until you're available for rape once more.

Moreover, most teams are running with warriors, and warriors are particularly strong against warlocks. The reason affliction is better than destro atm, is because you don't have to cast as much to do dmg. You definitely have to cast, but getting your dots spread without penalty is a lot easier than destro burst set up, generally speaking. Warriors also tend to get the better of dks as well, so peeling is often difficult.

I'd say, if you have the choice, run warrior/lock/dru or warrior/lock/sham. Or you could run some caster cleave like mls or mld and probably do alright. Caster cleaves are always pretty fun.

Anyway, I hope I didn't come off too negative or anything like that. warlocks are actually fun to play right now, and relatively easy, too.

#14 Luminary

Luminary
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Elemental

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:39 PM

View PostTya, on 25 October 2013 - 01:33 AM, said:

I think he's assuming that people aren't aids ridden toolbags who love playing healer/lock in 2s, and is instead operating under the assumption that people are playing double dps 2s, where destro is the choice.

Seriously though, you're a masochist if you do aff/healer in 2s.

View PostDurok, on 25 October 2013 - 01:59 AM, said:

i wonder how you actually kill something as destro.
100k cb (while having like 450-500k hp) is nice but takes almost 3s to pull off and the rest hit like a wet noodle and is healed by every passive heal crap.
my wl has 2 grevious rest tyrannical and i tried to kill a ww monk who just stand around and used healing orbs and i couldnt kill him with pve rota lol
not to mention what happens if there is a pillar.

Warlocks don't kill (competent) healers 1v1, but their only chance at doing it is as destro. Further, destro is perfectly fine in 3s, it just requires you remember how to actually set up damage and cycle through enemy cooldowns properly (ala, remember how the game was played pre-cata) instead of mongoing damage and spamming fear on cooldown.

My lock has 11 pieces of griev and I get 150k+ chaosbolts with ds up. Destro also relies on the player's skill in utilizing havoc, and especially so in utilizing havoc off pets. The issue with destro is the rampup time. Building up embers (and not having to use them to heal in an "oh shit" moment too early is one of the reasons people tend not to play it in 3s, where everyone is just popping cooldowns the moment combat starts, destro is just sitting there masturbating. The other reason is because people feel that with the amount of interrupts and instant cc, chaos bolts are hard to get off, but when you're consistently getting 70k+ conflags and incinerates, their stopping chaos bolt isn't too bad.

Edited by Luminary, 26 October 2013 - 06:46 PM.

#15 Tronux

Tronux

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:19 PM

I'm playing destro, and reached 2134 rating so far in 3's. Its better than affliction in the current meta game because burst is > sustained damage atm.

#16 Fistao

Fistao
  • Members

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:37 AM

Destro seems pretty good as MLS if you play the comp properly !

On my ALT lock with 505 ilvl (human with tailoring and enchanting), you can do 160K+ CB which is, I think, pretty insane !

Nobody is playing it because you can output more dommage as an affliction warlock way more easily. But if you have a 4 sec cast window with a cross-cc (even a havoc & coil can be enough) you can 100-0 someone with your mage (a deep is not even required).

But let's face it, it's way more complicated to play than an affliction comp..

#17 Megorix

Megorix
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Farstriders
  • Emberstorm
  • Talents: Combat
  • LocationPrince Edward Island

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:35 PM

Destro is underrated at the moment, you just need to play with a lockdown class. Destro/WW/RSham is the easiest comp I have played this season, by far

Protip: Succubus owns in openers, even against multiglads. Havoc deathcoil also allows free fears on healers against pesky warriors.

Also, the destro lock I am playing with is still getting 170-180k chaos bolts without sac. Combined with 170-180k rising sun kicks and the two most overpowered executes in the game, and getting kills is pretty F'ing easy. Especially vs. mages, as temporal shield and alter time aren't going to do jack shit if you are getting literally globaled. Watch out, you better block at 70%! ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: warlock, spec

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<