• Orcclass_name
  • EU-Kazzak
  • Misery
  • Talents: Enhancement 0/2/0/1/1/2
  • 2v2: 1615
  • 3v3: 1800
  • RBG: 576

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:44 PM

Been scouting the forums for some answer to this, however cannot seem to find one. I see most high tier warlocks using SL over Sac.P and this is what I will be using myself, but hearing that pet dies on the regular a lot.

Is it just a case of people have got careless with pet management and a greater need to control pet in sticky situations with the use of HF (lame channel I know) and healer keeping pet up like in cata?

Cheers for any responses

#2 Crunozaur

Crunozaur
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Burning Legion
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Talents: Marksmanship

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:30 PM

actually ive been using lately sac + sl. 20% additional health > 20% dmg taken transfered to pet.
especially since so many of our abilities scale with health - new drain life, hs, sac heal, death coil.

i really dont want to use pet anymore. always hated it, unless it really gives a noticable benefit - im sticking to (nerfed) sac most of the time

im also thinking about reforging/gemming into haste instead of mastery

#3 Sabyth

Sabyth
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Uldaman
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Arms

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:08 AM

More so that high tier locks have better healers. 20% mitigation is much better than 20% health (20% mitigation is like having 25% more health and it reduces the healing needed to you). If you are having problems with pet survival look to improving your pet control and finding a better healer. The healing part of Link is also quite good if you can output more damage and having an interrupt and dispel on your pet is much stronger than having it linked to you.

#4 Ravin

Ravin
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Frost 0/1/0/2/2/2

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:34 AM

If you're playing vs a dot comp, you might use sac.  If you KNOW you're queing into a team which for whatever reason likes to kill your pets, go sac.  Otherwise, SL is fine, especially since you don't need as many shards anymore for soulburn soulswap (new soulswap is really OP).  You can always soulburn a pet back.

20% soul link + 10% eternal resolve + ~8% reduc dmg from pvp trinkets (2600 resi) is amazing.  

I'm more curious about how things are goin to be in terms of talent setup.  I'm probably going to run drain life glyph/talent/use soulburn on them sometimes vs e.g. wizard cleaves, but vs melee I'm really liking 0.5% hp/corruption tick, and fel regen talent.  You have SO many corruptions out now due to soulswap (you can soulburn 3 players, pets, etc. really easily).  

Might even consider dropping 25% UA glyph vs some teams to run siphon life + 0.5%, but time will tell.  Maybe eternal resolve glyph will be useful vs some teams like ret hunter, who knows.

So many good options.  On most of my classes I really feel like blizz succeeded in making many talents/glyphs all attractive in different situations.

#5 Slaggy

Slaggy
  • LocationThird World New Zealand

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:53 AM

Spec:  Affliction Haste Build
Tals:   Regen - Coil - Link - Horror - Supreme - Darkness
Glys:   Healthstone - UA - Siphon

Pressure and survivability feel really really strong. Pet dispell (clone magic) and blanket (optic blast) useable while im cc'd is fabulous. Dont like passive 10% resolve glyph casue Ilike to be able to pick my "shield wall" when the melee train pulls into my station know what I mean.

#6 Ravin

Ravin
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Frost 0/1/0/2/2/2

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:46 AM

Edit: nvm

#7 Persephones

Persephones
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Argent Dawn
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Talents: Affliction 0/0/1/2/0/1
  • RBG: 2123
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:22 AM

I'd probably run with Sac as well at this point, but for whatever reason I can't make my spell lock 1/2/3 work with a sacced pet. Tried multiple macros but they're all greyed out in the arena. :/

View PostBraindance, on 22 June 2013 - 07:05 AM, said:

The current season is at a very good spot balance-wise. There is a comp variety that hasn't been seen in the game since s8.

#8 Crunozaur

Crunozaur
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Burning Legion
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Talents: Marksmanship

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:18 AM

View PostSabyth, on 16 September 2013 - 12:08 AM, said:

20% mitigation is much better than 20% health (20% mitigation is like having 25% more health and it reduces the healing needed to you). If you are having problems with pet survival look to improving your pet control and finding a better healer. The healing part of Link is also

mitigation or not, you still have to outheal this damage from pet. and if that pet dies you loose this mitigation. healing part is nice - i guess it similiar to the one you get from sacrificed pet.

i really preffer health over transfered damage to pet, it just scales really well with warlock's skills. sac gives probably a little less damage when pet is on target, but definately gives more burst (haunt dmg)

I'm more curious about how things are goin to be in terms of talent setup.  I'm probably going to run drain life glyph/talent/use soulburn on them sometimes vs e.g. wizard cleaves, but vs melee I'm really liking 0.5% hp/corruption tick, and fel regen talent.  You have SO many corruptions out now due to soulswap (you can soulburn 3 players, pets, etc. really easily).  

Might even consider dropping 25% UA glyph vs some teams to run siphon life + 0.5%, but time will tell.

this is exactly what im thinking. go drain life talent + drain life glyph or swap it with regen talent + ua glyph, depending on comp.
with the new soul swap we don't need ua glyph that much, especially vs non mlee cleaves

#9 Chanimal

Chanimal

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:41 AM

I think for a general setup, using Soul Link / Glyph of UR is the best choice. I'm using Siphon Life glyph atm, but still debating whether it's worth it over healthstone or port glyph.

I'm not using drain life because I find myself completely global starved keeping triple dots + fears on the other team, that I hardly get any time to actually channel MG. Thus, Drain Life doesn't really have a place as a DPS filler (maybe for surviving.. but that's my next point).

With the set up I have at the moment I feel unkillable. I can sit there and tank swifties and literally stay above 80% the whole time. I haven't really fought any wizard cleaves yet, but I've fought a few good cleaves / warrior / dk / hunter teams that train me and I felt fine.

Against any team that I feel will kill my pet I think GoSac with SL will be the way to go (at least, in the current pace of the game).

I still think UA glyph is good, I don't feel like I need the survivability from other glyphs to spec out of it yet. Getting a casted UA out can be important since it is the lowest duration DoT as well.

Edited by Poobandit, 16 September 2013 - 09:41 AM.

twitch.tv/chanimaly follow me!

#10 Luminary

Luminary
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Elemental

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:51 AM

View PostPersephones, on 16 September 2013 - 08:22 AM, said:

I'd probably run with Sac as well at this point, but for whatever reason I can't make my spell lock 1/2/3 work with a sacced pet. Tried multiple macros but they're all greyed out in the arena. :/

#showtooltip Command Demon
/cast [target=Arena1] Command Demon

That doesn't work for you?

#11 sephirroth

sephirroth
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Kazzak
  • Misery

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:53 AM

Thanks all for the great responses! I feel like im certainly going to be running with SL, those DK obliterates hitting that little bit less heh. Just need to work on pet management a bit better.

View PostPoobandit, on 16 September 2013 - 09:41 AM, said:

I'm not using drain life because I find myself completely global starved keeping triple dots + fears on the other team, that I hardly get any time to actually channel MG. Thus, Drain Life doesn't really have a place as a DPS filler (maybe for surviving.. but that's my next point).

This is exactly why I will be running old school dark regen build, with haste as main stat.

Dark regen / shadowfury (love multi stunning 3s team into howl) / SL / Blood Horror or Unbound depending on opponents / Supremacy / Darkness
Glyph of Siphon / Glyph of UA / and Healthstone gylph
Gem Haste

Really looking forward to the state of affi locks in 5.4, feels like we may actually go back to S8 times.

Once again thanks all

#12 sephirroth

sephirroth
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Kazzak
  • Misery

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:57 PM

Final question would be glyph of Eternal Resolve vs others. Choosing when you can free cast for 8 seconds (ofc stuns asside) with 40% less damage taken seems perfect for me, but glyph this + SL and thats 30% damage mitigation. If Eternal resolve was taken, what glyph do you guys feel should be replaced? UA due to the soulswap change?

#13 Slaggy

Slaggy

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:14 PM

I been runnign with UR glyph (passive 10%) now for a few days and it feels wonderful. I feel so tanky even with warriors sitting on me. Supremecy + SL + UR Glyph + double trinket bonus is strong (atleast for now) I wtched chan stream some games a day or so ago and saw the same results, he seemed slightly unkillable in fact they just left him alone alot of the time.

Im doing UA-Helthstone-UR for glyphs. Debating on dropping UA for siphon for that little extra healing. Opinions anyone? Chany?

#14 sephirroth

sephirroth
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Kazzak
  • Misery

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:37 PM

Very caught between siphon / health stone / UR glyph now too

#15 Chanimal

Chanimal

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:02 AM

View PostSlaggy, on 16 September 2013 - 08:14 PM, said:

I been runnign with UR glyph (passive 10%) now for a few days and it feels wonderful. I feel so tanky even with warriors sitting on me. Supremecy + SL + UR Glyph + double trinket bonus is strong (atleast for now) I wtched chan stream some games a day or so ago and saw the same results, he seemed slightly unkillable in fact they just left him alone alot of the time.

Im doing UA-Helthstone-UR for glyphs. Debating on dropping UA for siphon for that little extra healing. Opinions anyone? Chany?

Still debating whether siphon is worth it. 0.5% seems so little that I might just drop it for HS/port glyph.

I think UA glyph is still worth it, I don't feel like I need anything more to help me survive yet.
twitch.tv/chanimaly follow me!

#16 sephirroth

sephirroth
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Kazzak
  • Misery

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:45 AM

so chain you would recommend UR glyph / UA / and siphon or HS / port?

Think I will try running with HS

#17 Slaggy

Slaggy

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:08 AM

Ty for the response chan. yeah Vul im still using healthstone at the moment. UR/UA/HS in combo

#18 smoku

smoku
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Neptulon
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Affliction 0/2/0/0/0/0

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:34 AM

You guys mean UR glyph 20% dmg/2min cd or ER glyph (eternal resolve) which is 10% passive dmg reduction? :)

#19 Slaggy

Slaggy

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:38 AM

ER, 10% passive is wut were using. sorry for the confusion

#20 smoku

smoku
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Neptulon
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Affliction 0/2/0/0/0/0