Ret viability in 5.4

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Voidbringer

Voidbringer
  • Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:45 PM

Hi All,

I haven't had the chance to do any tests on PTR due to IRL stuff, so I was wondering what's the state of Ret in 5.4.

Reading through the forums and patch notes it looks decent "on paper" as:

1. There are no nerfs (GoAK can be considered a nerf or a buff depending on the match length)
2. Ret gets some nice QoL changes which will make the gameplay smoother; i.e. weakened blows baked in crusader strike, increased time on inquisition, interesting glyphs (Bubble, BoG)

The thing is, with so many other classes getting buffs in the neverending buff/nerf rollercoaster, as well as meta game changing, I'd like to hear an opinion on where Ret stands in comparison to other classes/specs and in terms of comps.

I've heard that Ret is "good", but it's hardly an analysis.

As far as I understand, in 5.4 the game should be less bursty and games tend to take longer.
While this may be positive in general, I'm just wondering if we'll end up with classes like warriors, ww monks, DKs outperforming Rets since everyone has some sort of CDs for burst, but not everyone has decent sustained damage and/or passive dmg reduction.

TL;DR: Is Ret still very good with CDs up and weak without or just decent with CDs up and terribad without.
"There is nothing so uncommon as common sense"

#2 freshfreefly

freshfreefly
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Frost 0/0/0/2/1/2
  • 2v2: 1504
  • 3v3: 2421
  • 5v5: 960
  • RBG: 960
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:52 PM

View PostVoidbringer, on 08 September 2013 - 12:45 PM, said:

TL;DR: Is Ret still very good with CDs up and weak without or just decent with CDs up and terribad without.

It's obvious that you didn't play on the PTR. go try and you'll realize that they are extremely good.

View PostDillypoo, on 03 August 2014 - 09:44 PM, said:

GUYS GUYS GUYS IM RUNNING IN I GOT A FEAR OFF THAT!!! Oh wait Tremor... OK OK OK Guys I got another full fear off that!!! Aw shit nimble, OK GUYS GUYS GUYS I SWEAR I HAVE A FULL FEAR! Fuck nevermind... Will. OK OK OK NOW THIS FEAR IS FULL!!! Shit he has tremor back up omg... OK OK OK NOW I HAVE A FULL FEAR ITS FULL KILL KILL Oh whoops... prep tremor... Damnit, I got a full fear this time!!! Oh... he trinketed it... next one should be full... FULL FEAR!!! He has nimble back up WTF.

#3 Thazable

Thazable
  • Premium Junkies
  • Curse Premium
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Frostmourne
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Protection 1/0/1/1/2/1
  • 2v2: 2469
  • 3v3: 2868
  • 5v5: 1893

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:01 PM

Actually ret is still really really strong with CDs up and I'd say more than OK w/o CDs. Rets perform way better than most of the seasons before and the gameplay feels really smooth, even when I'm playing with around 150-200 ms on PTR because european. Offheals are still pretty good but if you don't pull out retarded critluck it'll be pretty hard to outheal some serious dmg and against some teams I tend to use unbreakable spirit instead of clemency, sometimes it feels a little awkward but only 30 sec CD on divine protection helps a lot when it comes to surviving stuff. So overall I'd say rets are pretty good, give it a shot. ;p
Posted Image

#4 Voidbringer

Voidbringer
  • Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:14 PM

View Postfreshfreefly, on 08 September 2013 - 01:52 PM, said:

It's obvious that you didn't play on the PTR. go try and you'll realize that they are extremely good.

View PostThazable, on 08 September 2013 - 02:01 PM, said:

Actually ret is still really really strong with CDs up and I'd say more than OK w/o CDs. Rets perform way better than most of the seasons before and the gameplay feels really smooth, even when I'm playing with around 150-200 ms on PTR because european. Offheals are still pretty good but if you don't pull out retarded critluck it'll be pretty hard to outheal some serious dmg and against some teams I tend to use unbreakable spirit instead of clemency, sometimes it feels a little awkward but only 30 sec CD on divine protection helps a lot when it comes to surviving stuff. So overall I'd say rets are pretty good, give it a shot. ;p

@Evazie
I did say I hadn't played on the PTR, but thanks for your response:).

@Thazable
Thank you for a detailed description. I won't have time to test myself so this really helps - appreciate it.
"There is nothing so uncommon as common sense"

#5 Mirionx

Mirionx
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Holy 1/2/2/2/2/0
  • RBG: 2662

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:28 PM

rets op on ptr

#6 catdaddy

catdaddy
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Marksmanship 1/1/1/0/0/0
  • 2v2: 1948
  • 3v3: 2066
  • RBG: 2369
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:46 PM

can still kwok 1 shot people as ret

#7 Rtf

Rtf
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Discipline 0/0/1/1/2/1

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:50 PM

Ret is in a very good stop on PTR. Not as good as Warriors/Monks but certainly not far behind.

Damage with CDs up is still stupidly high and sustained is actually decent if you prioritise your spells correctly. Overall your damage can rival that of a Warrior or a DK if you make use of your CDs effectively.

Survivability has improved quite a lot with the unbreakable spirit change, you can no-longer get globaled every time someone lands a stun on you. You do however lose some utility if you drop clemency as you can then only use BoP/Sac once.

TL;DR - Rets are good. Burst is great, sustained is average, survivability is good if you sacrifice some utility.

#8 Dizzeeyo

Dizzeeyo
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Frost 0/2/0/2/2/2
  • RBG: 2274

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:44 PM

View PostRtf, on 08 September 2013 - 05:50 PM, said:

you can no-longer get globaled every time someone lands a stun on you
implying this is what happens atm?

View PostPouncedd, on 12 June 2014 - 01:51 AM, said:

Feel free to call me an idiot because I'm a hunter or some stupid ass remark but I've actually written all this down on paper and have looked at the numbers comparatively for almost every class

View PostJontex, on 23 June 2014 - 04:48 PM, said:

I actually made an appearance at DH2014 and I met up with people from twitch who were involved with the dota 2 / cs tournies that where there, I talked about the game from my perspective as a professional player and we actually shared a lot of opinions. All I'm saying is a lot of people will be VERY surprised about the future of this game in the esport world :)

#9 Getfkd91

Getfkd91
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Assassination 2/2/2/0/0/.

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:56 PM

Ret has good dmg while in cds on PTR.However they still are vulnerable to casters.Will have to try out ret dk priest and see if it's viable.

#10 Speedymart

Speedymart
  • Premium Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Gnomeregan
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Arms 1/1/2/1/1/1
  • 2v2: 2429
  • 3v3: 2768
  • 5v5: 672

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:12 AM

30 second wall is crazy
Posted Image

#11 Mirionx

Mirionx
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:36 AM

View PostGetfkd91, on 08 September 2013 - 06:56 PM, said:

.However they still are vulnerable to casters.

This is such BS, what melees isn't vulnerable to wizards?

And with 30 sec CD on wall yeah such underdog spec

Edited by Mirionx, 13 September 2013 - 08:55 AM.

#12 Getfkd91

Getfkd91
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Assassination 2/2/2/0/0/.

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:07 AM

View PostMirionx, on 13 September 2013 - 08:36 AM, said:

This is such BS, what melees isn't vulnerable to wizards?

And with 30 sec CD on wall yeah such underdog spec

Rofl relax.Rets are more vulnerable to casters than all the other melee,its a fact.Even 30 sec divine protection isn't even close to the tools warriors,rogues and monks have to survive wizards.

#13 ErosiaRet

ErosiaRet
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Retribution 1/0/0/2/0/0
  • 2v2: 1712
  • 3v3: 2206

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:29 AM

I don't see why people find Unbreakable Spirit that good. I would say make it baseline if anything. Giving up clemency is a huge reduction in the team's total defenses. And against melee teams, those 20% rarely means life or death and far from most games last more than 2.5 minutes for the bubble to refresh its cooldown.

Turn Evil is also questionable due to cast time. However, at least we have some defense and CC options depending on opponents.

Edited by ErosiaRet, 13 September 2013 - 09:41 AM.

#14 Avengelyne

Avengelyne
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Illidan
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Retribution 1/0/0/2/0/2
  • 2v2: 2448
  • 3v3: 3009
  • 5v5: 960
  • RBG: 576
  • LocationOntario! TDOT

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:24 PM

Rets are okay this patch.
http://www.twitch.tv/avengtv -- Follow for Ret 3v3 Arenas on Live and Beta!

View Postgravyrainbow, on 08 October 2014 - 07:37 PM, said:

I prefer combat because my dong is large and I will face the enemy like a man rather than sprint over to a pillar for a re after my opener is up.

#15 Mirionx

Mirionx
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:27 PM

View PostGetfkd91, on 13 September 2013 - 09:07 AM, said:

Rofl relax.

What makes you think I'm not relaxed