• US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Mistweaver 1/0/2/0/0/1
  • 2v2: 2039
  • 3v3: 2519
  • 5v5: 1150
  • RBG: 959

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:15 PM

Ok this is a topic I don't think has received much attention. The Dannycarey controversy got me to testing some stuff out, and I am starting to wonder if the "Healing sphere is always best" argument is true.

Stats...

Gnome Monk
22222 spell power
9500 Spirit
369,000 mana pool (2% meta, (racial) expansive mind +5%, and Ascension +15%)
17% crit

Testing 100 games between the two play styles I have found that I actually  have more longevity using Surging Mist liberally then I do using Healing Sphere spam.  

The chi you gain from Surging Mist is often over looked and as a gnome running the +mana pool set up I gain 29,520 mana per tea instead of the 24,000 if I had no bonus.

The constant flow of Chi from Surging Mist (when needed) provides far more tea and as a result far more mana regen, and helps to greatly offset the cost of using Surging.

Testing this on the PTR last night it was more pronounced without the glyph. On the PTR now that the glyph is pretty much useless, generating tea quickly is a huge pvp bonus to us. On live no matter how fast you generate tea it doesn't matter since you can only use 2 charges every 10secs.  However now their is a great benefit to generating it fast since you can soak it all up in a burst fashion without the glyph.  This single change seems to have boosted Surging Mist usage even closer to healing sphere spam mana efficiency since the latter doesn't generate Chi.

I found surging mist gave more reliable healing, and far more stable positioning in comps that didn't include a lock/ele shaman.  Being able to surging and reliably roll into a Enveloping can't be overlooked.  The major benefit that healing spheres had was it being very hard for teams to lock you out.  I just found that positioning with sphere spam was rough in traditional comps because playing in constant LoS like Dannycarey does in his videos isn't common. Most of us are not playing with teammates that are that good.

In closing having now played with both play styles I just feel that Renew/Surging/Enveloping/Soothing just felt better, and seems more in tune with what the spec should play like then spamming orbs which is boring...

#2 Shridevi

Shridevi
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Bleeding Hollow
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Mistweaver 1/0/2/2/0/1
  • 2v2: 1847
  • 3v3: 2218
  • 5v5: 1611
  • RBG: 2028

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:14 PM

I think LSD1 is just perfect for sphere:  2 casters that move very slowly where it's not necessary to stay max range with CC-breaking.  I only use spheres vs feral (or maybe mage) if skull bash is up.  When I played spriest/feral it's impossible to sphere the feral and in addition he needs env/soothing often before going behind a pillar.  Ret/hunter same, most teams go straight for the pet and good luck orbing the pet (if they even proc on pets I don't even know).  IMO there are a handful of ranged dps classes that are good for using spheres.

#3 Primius

Primius
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • 2v2: 2039
  • 3v3: 2519
  • 5v5: 1150
  • RBG: 959

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:48 PM

View PostShridevi, on 22 August 2013 - 06:14 PM, said:

I think LSD1 is just perfect for sphere:  2 casters that move very slowly where it's not necessary to stay max range with CC-breaking.  I only use spheres vs feral (or maybe mage) if skull bash is up.  When I played spriest/feral it's impossible to sphere the feral and in addition he needs env/soothing often before going behind a pillar.  Ret/hunter same, most teams go straight for the pet and good luck orbing the pet (if they even proc on pets I don't even know).  IMO there are a handful of ranged dps classes that are good for using spheres.

Yeah I had not thought about it that way. that totally makes sense.  Healing Spheres just annoy the hell out of me and while they  are effective with the right teammate I just do not enjoy that playstyle. I use spheres but not as my main go to burst healing.

Anyway I didn't make this thread to try to prove which was better because is going to be up to the individual. The main reason people dump on Surging and say never use it is because of how fast you can go oom, but the point of the thread was to prove that with the right set up you can use it whenever you need to without going oom.

#4 brad235

brad235
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • 2v2: 2101
  • 3v3: 2846

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:46 AM

I haven't done math, but I do know surging costs 26.4k mana per cast, and Sphere only costs 6k.  So idk 4 orbs for every mist...I think orb trumps mist in almost every scenario.  But maybe in the long run the chi / teas from surging outweigh orbs.  Obviously it's completely situational and you can't always land 100% of orbs but I feel much more comfortable with orbs over surging.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<