Purpose: Enumerate the weaknesses of Arms damage-wise, and provide potential solutions.
I am convinced that Arms is bound to receive some PvE damage buffs, since we remain the lowest dps spec on the PTR, and the premier DPS comparison sites (worldoflogs, raidbots etc), SimCraft simulations and advanced theorycrafting sites like elitist jerks, point to arms being one of the weakest dps specs in the game. My purpose is to direct some of those potential buffs to being meaningful in PvP.
Purpose: To increase warrior damage significantly and provide burst windows
Issue: Arms PvE dps is designed around doing tremendous damage while CS is up. However, this creates the following problems
- Our PvE damage is condensed in the duration of this debuff, which is approximately an 80% damage increase vs boss armor
- However since it’s only 50% armor reduction in PvP, this translates to 10-17% damage increase vs players of varying armor. Therefore, we do not reap the large benefit that it provides in PvE, and because our damage is balanced around this debuff (i.e. significantly lower outside of CS), our PvP damage is not as strong as it’s supposed to be
1) Make CS 50% both in PvE and PvP – increase duration to xx seconds
2) Make CS 50% both in PvE and PvP – recalibrate damage of other DPS abilities (overpower, mortal strike etc)
3) Make CS a passive buff, similar to Tiger Palm for monks, with an increased duration and reduced effect (30-40%)
Purpose: High uptime (PvE) buff that increases damage by a flat 10%
Issue: PvE gear provides warriors with a high enough crit chance, that this buff has a high uptime. However, in PvP warriors can barely achieve ~23% crit chance (full crit gems, reforges etc), limiting the uptime severely. High uptime is also achieved with the use of berseker rage, which however cannot be done in PvP, since berseker rage is 99.9% of the time used as a fear breaker, and not as a dps increasing ability.
1) Charge increases critical strike chance of Mortal Strike by 100% (similar to how it was in Ulduar tier). This way, the buff will have a significant uptime in PvP, and will only be a marginal DPS increase in PvE
2) Make Enrage proc from other attacks with a lower chance of procing (overpower, deep wounds etc)
3) Make enrage proc from non-crits of MS and CS
Purpose: Three extremely potent cooldowns (recklessness, avatar, skull banner), binded into one macro, with the purpose of dealing tremendous (often lethal) damage
1) If you do not manage to get a kill during the above cds your damage suffers greatly
2) The long cooldown on all three of them, makes it hard for warriors to play in teams that rely on steady pressure (warrior/lock etc). Instead, it forces warriors to team up with a class that does similar burst (but almost always has superior sustained compared to the warrior like hunters/ferals etc), and hope to win in the first few seconds of the match
Solution: The only way out, is to significantly reduce the cooldown of the above abilities, and give them a reduced effect. Eg recklessness grants 20% crit on abilities down from 30% - cooldown reduced to 1.5 minute. Avatar increases all damage by 15% - duration reduced to 15 seconds from 24, cooldown reduced to 1.5 minute etc. This way, PvE dps will remain the same, but the PvP warrior will have a more meaningful role in the team, and he/she will be able to create more kill opportunities outside of once every 3 minutes
Purpose: Different stances for different modes of combat
1) With burst being extremely high, defensive stance is the premier stance for PvP
2) Berserker stance does not have a strong niche, and it’s not useful in PvP, since to have a rage gain comparable to battle stance you must be taking ~24k dps of damage, in which case you would want to be in defensive stance
3) Our damage is designed around being in battle stance. However most of the time we are in defensive stance significantly crippling our damage in PvP. Dks (who have a similar playstyle to ours), do not have this problem, since staying in blood presence most of the game does not limit their damage as severely as ours
1) Allow some rage regeneration to continue in defensive stance for arms and fury only. Eg you gain 6 rage per autoattack while in defensive stance through Unbridled Wrath
2) Make Unbridled Wrath, grant you will Enrage every time you are hit with a critical strike. This is in my opinion the best and easiest solution since it would provide 0 buffs in PvE, but it would significantly help arms in PvP since:
a. Gives our old niche back of gaining rage and doing more damage while being trained
b. Makes training the warrior for the entire game a less viable strategy. Even now, with the defensive stance buff, training the warrior is foolproof, since it forces the warrior to stay in defensive stance completely crippling his damage3) Make berserker stance the premier PvP stance, by adding bonuses such as the ones mentioned here http://www.arenajunk...rserker-stance/
4) Give battle stance some passive damage reduction of the order of 10% (perhaps through the pvp 4 set bonus)
Purpose: The most used dps ability of Arms
Issue: While overpower is a significant portion of our sustained damage, the fact that it does 105% weapon damage, even with a high crit chance (+60%) makes it hit like a wet noodle in PvP. This leads to damage that is not meaningful (i.e. cannot force cooldowns, cannot force casted heals, cannot force mana usage). This is a more complicated problem since Cataclysm, where warrior damage moved from a few strong hits and empty globals, to being completely global capped and spamming many small hits (mastery procs, deep wounds, overpower, auto-attacks).
1) Move damage away from overpower to Mortal Strike
2) Make slam consume thirst for blood procs for a lower rage cost and slightly increased crit chance, making slam and overpower interchangeable
3) Buff overpower damage?
The last candidate that, unfortunately, no longer feels Mortal. It could use a damage buff and/or an increase in the Mortal Wounds debuff (only for warriors), increasing our usefulness and providing us with a meaningful PvP niche once again