Competetive PvP without grinding?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Fleurdumal

Fleurdumal
  • Members

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:18 AM

Hey,

i'm thinking of giving GW2 a try but I have some questions about the competetive pvp aspect of the game. I know there has been a lot of dissapointement with how Anet has handled competetive pvp and how the competetive pvp "scene" is almost dead but I would still like to give it a try if it suits my needs.

It is quite simple really, what I want to know is if I can play GW2 as let's say Heroes of Newerth, LoL or Dota. To be able to log in 3 - 5 days a week and play 3 - 6 hours without having to level up different characters and grind different items, potions, buffs etc that might be needed (like enchantements and jewels in wow) in order to be competetive in spvp (sPvP as I understand it is equivavelnt to wow's arenas, with some tweaks and maybe more variety).

So would it be possible to 1) find a competetive team, 2) learn 3 - 4 different classes that you just have to get to level 2 (in order to be able to join the pure pvp instance if I remember correctly, where you can gear your chars etc) 3) and just play PvP/sPvP without having to grind for 5 days /played to get some boots that will increase my movement speed by 5%.

#2 Bullylol

Bullylol
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Twisting Nether
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Shadow 1/2/2/2/2/1
  • RBG: 1681

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:54 AM

I haven't played GW2 since the first 2 - 3 months, though I have just reinstalled it to have a mess around this week as a change.

The whole point, unless they have changed it, is that you could be 1 minute or 100 hours into your char, but the availability of items/stats is the same. Everything "gained" is cosmetic (like transmogs).

The only grinding in game is rank, but if you meet someone that plays 24hrs a day 7 days a week he has no better access to gear than you, his might look "better" as he has access to more skins.

#3 Fleurdumal

Fleurdumal
  • Members

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:34 PM

Ok, so you don't need to have a max lvl char that you invest time in if the only thing you want to do is sPvP? You can just log on and play whichever class you want ?

#4 Regent

Regent
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Mistweaver 1/0/2/0/0/1
  • 2v2: 2273
  • 3v3: 2634
  • 5v5: 2359
  • RBG: 2126

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:06 AM

View PostFleurdumal, on 15 July 2013 - 01:34 PM, said:

Ok, so you don't need to have a max lvl char that you invest time in if the only thing you want to do is sPvP? You can just log on and play whichever class you want ?

Yes

#5 Footler

Footler
  • Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:16 AM

View PostFleurdumal, on 15 July 2013 - 01:34 PM, said:

Yes, this is true but you also need other people to play with which the PvP doesn't have.

#6 Fleurdumal

Fleurdumal
  • Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:16 PM

View PostFootler, on 16 July 2013 - 01:16 AM, said:

Yes, this is true but you also need other people to play with which the PvP doesn't have.

So the state of the game for serious pvp/sPvP is really that shitty? Even though they have started improving it in the latest months?

#7 Rerroll

Rerroll
  • Members

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:11 PM

View PostFleurdumal, on 16 July 2013 - 10:16 PM, said:

So the state of the game for serious pvp/sPvP is really that shitty? Even though they have started improving it in the latest months?

No, gw2 is in its best state since release currently.

Anet doubled the number of dev teams, and the pvp population greatly increased since the release of custom arenas & spectator mode.

Population should be even bigger when soloq is finally released this summer.

Also the game has joined ESL and later in august there's the first LAN gw2 tournament in pax. The prize is 10.000$ and is sponsored by mmorpg.com & anet. Check the official site.

There are other weekly tournaments & leagues too, mistleague.com for example.

On topic: you don't have to grind anything. After you do the 1st quest in the game (takes 2 minutes) you can teleport yourself to the Heart of the Mists. It's a pvp lobby with NPCs that sell all gear available, and you are instantly level 80 (cap level)

#8 Hankx

Hankx
  • Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:28 AM

need to just post anything

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<