• Humanclass_name
  • EU-Argent Dawn
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Talents: Frost 1/0/2/2/1/1
  • 2v2: 2107
  • 3v3: 2273
  • RBG: 1528

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:55 AM

The paralysis cd is about the same as / lower than the other abilities you mentioned, so I don't really see a big problem with that. I also don't think they should make roll become a targeted gap closer, because that would be rather OP. Being able to 'charge' your target three times in a row and then having another gap closer on top of that would be way too strong. We all disliked warrior s12 mobility. Don't recreate it.
Posted Image

#22 Neverever

Neverever
  • Members

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:21 PM

The problem is, is that paralyis is our CC and quite a shit one at that which should NOT be doubling up as a way to LOCK our target in place in order to get to them or roll at them accurately. It's just bad design, and I don't think its intentional.

You were talking about dks earlier. Imagine if you had to AIM chains of ice and only had 2 tries to pull it off. If you didn't aim properly and couldn't get your target with chains and then you had to use asphyxiate to hold your target in place just so you could reach them, how would you feel? Would you not be frustrated and think this was bad design, ESPECIALLY when NO other class has to deal with this when it comes to BREAD AND BUTTER abilities?

Spinning Fire Blossom is the FILLER in our MOBILITY SANDWICH meant to help us get to our targets but the ability is WAY too punishing, WAY too affected by lag and WAY too affected by bugs

As just one of MANY possible examples, if I'm facing enhance hunter x and the enhance has his wolves/fire elemental totem out or if the hunter has unleashed his menagerie of pets and they are kiting me with posthaste or windwalk totem during my counter burst, do you think it's really fair or even good design that I can't reach them without using paralysis, (which is only a 20 yard range btw and which I actually need to set up a kill), since Spinning Fire Blossom targets the first enemy in front of me i.e. one of these random pets? And it's even worse if they're sprinting, since you're then not playing an MMO but an FPS like Quake just to be able to reach your target......... This is BAD design.

........................................................................................................................................................................................

There's nothing really that wrong with roll/fsk and you shouldn't make them targetable ever because then you couldn't use them defensively. They are mostly fine as they are.

SPINNING FIRE BLOSSOM IS THE PROBLEM AND THE KEY.

You need a RELIABLE short duration ranged lockdown so the target is held in place whilst you TARGETLESSLY roll at them.

At the moment, spinning fire blossom is poorly implemented.

The best changes would be:

- make spinning fire blossom cost ENERGY instead of CHI

- make spinning fire blossom be a TARGETED ability & ROOT the target for its current short dring duration - this is BY FAR the best solution

Good monks can still differentiate themselves from bad ones by accurately modifying their roll distance by roll jumping. A good one will be scary because they will always be on you. A bad one will still find it difficult to reach his target. But, spinning fire blossom needs to be fixed so there's no added crap to deal with.

........................................................................................................................................................................................

This change is I think one of the most important ones that could be done to monks currently. It will make them infinitely more enjoyable and satisfying to play whilst keep down frustration levels.

This is one of those issues like how badly faerie fire counters rogues or how unbelievably dumb it is that polymorph is spammable and dispel has an 8 sec cd that people should be complaining about constantly. These issues are more important than ele rng burst or hunters because they are BAD DESIGN and ROTTEN TO THE CORE not some freak of nature brought about through pve.

But more important than this is the fact that NO ONE who ACTUALLY PLAYS a monk would disagree with me on this issue, regardless of whether they are playing at 1500 or 2500 rating. That is because this issue is about FUN not competitiveness, although it still has a significant impact on the latter.

I also tweeted Holinka about this yesterday and he said he was taking a look at this thread (either that or just confirming that he was replying to my tweet :S) so I have my fingers crossed for the next PTR patch ^^.

View PostDizzeeyo, on 16 July 2013 - 12:28 AM, said:

id love to be playing the same game as you where hunters and ferals are the biggest counters to mages

#23 Syncrow

Syncrow
  • Premium
  • Curse Premium

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:46 PM

View PostNeverever, on 17 July 2013 - 04:21 PM, said:

But more important than this is the fact that NO ONE who ACTUALLY PLAYS a monk would disagree with me on this issue, regardless of whether they are playing at 1500 or 2500 rating. That is because this issue is about FUN not competitiveness, although it still has a significant impact on the latter.

then you have to see not actually the state for SFB only, but the "LAG" issue in general! You complaining about bad design for spells, but the real issue is, that they will work, if there would be no lags...  
Maybe SFB need a bit changed, like it was before. But even without, the class is not unplayable..

#24 Neverever

Neverever
  • Members

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:32 PM

NO. Even if there is no lag, most monks, even good monks, would fail to use spinning fire blossom. In many situations IT IS UNPLAYABLE because of pets, sprint effects & limited supply of spinning fire blossoms that have to be MANUALLY TARGETED.

Imagine if you are a mage and you want to cast a frostbolt at a rogue. Everything is easy. Then the rogue uses sprint and, if frostbolt was an ability you had to MANUALLY target like spinning fire blossom, suddenly it becomes x10 HARDER to hit the rogue with frostbolt.

DO YOU THINK THIS IS RIGHT OR FAIR IN AN MMO????????? ESPECIALLY WHEN NO OTHER CLASS WORKS LIKE THIS????? EVEN MORE SO WHEN THE EFFECT OF THIS IS SO MUCH MORE EASILY ACHIEVED BY OTHER CLASSES????? (i.e. ranged root & successful execution of gap closer to follow)

But, this issue is not just about lag, it's about how factors OUTSIDE of the player's control affect to an UNREASONABLE degree a key ability which you need for TARGETLESS ww monk mobility to work as whole.

Lag is only ONE of these factors - PET CLASSES making this ability awkward to use is another one.

But, aside from this, what's MOST IMPORTANT is that it's TOO PUNISHING if you FAIL to hit your target with TARGETLESS spinning fire blossoms which have a LIMITED SUPPLY.

Then you have to start doing stupid things like using your CC (paralysis) as a ranged root.

This is an MMO NOT an FPS.

Good Design = high risk, high reward

Bad Design = high risk, low reward (compared to the effort other classes have to put in to do what spinning fire blossom does for us)

The problem is, when spinning fire blossom fails, ww monk mobility fails - as I said before, it is the CHINK in ww monk mobility, exploited by top players.

So:

- make spinning fire blossom cost energy instead of chi so supply is unlimited

or

- make spinning fire blossom target the target you have selected like most other abilities in the game

People missing the point 24/7

id love to be playing the same game as you where hunters and ferals are the biggest counters to mages

#25 Syncrow

Syncrow
  • Premium
  • Curse Premium

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:03 PM

you can also remove SFB and make a Major glyph which give disable a 20-30 yard range like paralysis Talent before.

#26 Neverever

Neverever
  • Members

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:50 PM

View PostSyncrow, on 17 July 2013 - 11:03 PM, said:

you can also remove SFB and make a Major glyph which give disable a 20-30 yard range like paralysis Talent before.

Hmm, an interesting suggestion but I think that would be a bit too op considering disable snare/root is undispellable amongst other reasons!

WW Monks literally just need something to root a target in place from range for literally 1 -  3 seconds so we can roll accurately at them.

It just needs to be either spinning fire blossom that is manually targeted but with unlimited supply (i.e. energy based instead of chi) or targets the enemy you've selected like most other wow abilities but with a limited supply. Either solution would solve this problem.

#27 Syncrow

Syncrow
  • Premium
  • Curse Premium

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:24 AM

Another (hopefully good) idea!

New: Glyph of Chi Lotus: (replaces Glyph of Spinning Fire Blossom)
  • Summons a Chi Lotus at the target location, that stands in place for 5 seconds.
  • Once an enemy unit comes near the lotus, the lotus twines around the target, rooting it for 3 seconds. The Lotus withers thereafter.
  • Chi Lotus cost 1 Chi, 35 yd Range.
  • Chi Lotus replaces Spinning Fire Blossom.
(return of the Path of the Blossoms, lol)

#28 discoepfeand

discoepfeand
  • Premium
  • Curse Premium

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:26 AM

While I appreciate the effort, I hope it's not another targeting reticle that doesn't disappear until you right+click or escape.  WTB healing spheres that get placed one at a time and go back to normal cursor after placement instead of keeping the reticle.  I don't mind pressing the keyboard button 3 times.

#29 Marshmellow

Marshmellow
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-The Forgotten Coast
  • Whirlwind
  • Talents: Windwalker 1/0/2/2/0/0
  • 2v2: 2026
  • 3v3: 2348
  • RBG: 960

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:00 AM

I would rather Spinning Fire Blossom do no damage and cost energy instead of chi, add a glyph to make it a targeted ability and slow the target instead of root

#30 Neverever

Neverever
  • Members

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:32 PM

View PostSyncrow, on 18 July 2013 - 03:24 AM, said:

Another (hopefully good) idea!

New: Glyph of Chi Lotus: (replaces Glyph of Spinning Fire Blossom)
  • Summons a Chi Lotus at the target location, that stands in place for 5 seconds.
  • Once an enemy unit comes near the lotus, the lotus twines around the target, rooting it for 3 seconds. The Lotus withers thereafter.
  • Chi Lotus cost 1 Chi, 35 yd Range.
  • Chi Lotus replaces Spinning Fire Blossom.
(return of the Path of the Blossoms, lol)

Hmm, interesting. Using a ranged root like healing spheres and therefore keeping some skill in accurate placement of it whilst removing the bugginess of current spinning fire blossom implementation is not a bad idea. I like it!

View PostMarshmellow, on 18 July 2013 - 09:00 AM, said:

I would rather Spinning Fire Blossom do no damage and cost energy instead of chi, add a glyph to make it a targeted ability and slow the target instead of root

Do you mean keep the root effect whilst losing the damage of it but make it cost energy instead of chi? And then have a separate glyph to make it targeted but replace the root with a snare? If so, then these would also both be wonderful changes.

#31 Marshmellow

Marshmellow
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-The Forgotten Coast
  • Whirlwind
  • Talents: Windwalker 1/0/2/2/0/0
  • 2v2: 2026
  • 3v3: 2348
  • RBG: 960

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:41 PM

View PostNeverever, on 18 July 2013 - 01:32 PM, said:

Do you mean keep the root effect whilst losing the damage of it but make it cost energy instead of chi? And then have a separate glyph to make it targeted but replace the root with a snare? If so, then these would also both be wonderful changes.

yes, 20 energy cost would be fine

#32 Snuggli

Snuggli
  • Junkies
  • Taurenclass_name
  • EU-Steamwheedle Cartel
  • Glutsturm / Emberstorm
  • Talents: Feral 2/0/2/1/0/2
  • 2v2: 1925
  • 3v3: 2209
  • RBG: 384
  • LocationUK

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:50 PM

View PostMarshmellow, on 18 July 2013 - 09:00 AM, said:

That's actually a sweet idea - although we've already got a 'spammable' ranged attack in Crackling Jade Lightning.

The only reason I don't play my Monk anymore is because of disable being shit. Slap a 5 yard range on disable and they wouldn't have to change anything.

View PostBraindance, on 11 October 2013 - 12:44 PM, said:

Go listen to some Bieber shit and leave me alone fucko.

#33 Neverever

Neverever
  • Members

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:37 PM

View PostSnuggli, on 19 July 2013 - 02:50 PM, said:

That's actually a sweet idea - although we've already got a 'spammable' ranged attack in Crackling Jade Lightning.

The only reason I don't play my Monk anymore is because of disable being shit. Slap a 5 yard range on disable and they wouldn't have to change anything.

He wrote "I would rather spinning fire blossom do no damage" because we were talking about a reliable ranged root instead of another way of doing damage from range :S We're not talking about a replacement for Crackling Jade Lightning here.

As suggested right at the beginning of the thread, the best solution for spinning fire blossom is for it to cost energy instead of chi.

Disable might be buggy, but at least it's not flat out broken like Spinning Fire Blossom which is the absolute KEY to fixing ww monk mobility. 5 yard range on disable might be another way of solving both the disable hitbox issues and the problem of your target having moved location by the time you've finished rolling at it. However, I think a lot of people would qq about it though and I still think using energy instead of chi for SFB is the best solution.

I don't understand how they let some of this stuff slide. You just have to actually play a windwalker monk for maybe 15 minutes and you'll quickly realise how major these issues is.

#34 GrieverZ

GrieverZ
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Marksmanship 2/0/1/2/1/1
  • RBG: 1910

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:33 AM

Just need a slightly longer range on Disable and i'd be happy, but i've been playing Rogue and Feral with a wildly fluctuating latency (7 people on the same connection) for years now so i guess i'm used to being screwed by it.

#35 Neverever

Neverever
  • Members

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:47 AM

View PostGrieverZ, on 22 July 2013 - 05:33 AM, said:

Just need a slightly longer range on Disable and i'd be happy, but i've been playing Rogue and Feral with a wildly fluctuating latency (7 people on the same connection) for years now so i guess i'm used to being screwed by it.

Yeah but it's nowhere near as big a problem for rogues/ferals because their gap-closers are not targetless. I play feral as well and compared to how lag affects feral vs. monk it's like chalk and cheese. Getting shreds off is a bit harder with higher latency but that's about it. Getting onto your target isn't affected by latency for feral.

I'm eu and when I go on ptr where all the servers are in us and I have about 200ms, feral isn't great but ok however ww monk is unplayable.

Maybe make disable 10 yards?

#36 Frostwor

Frostwor
  • Members
  • LocationSilvermoon

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:15 PM

This change is simply dumb why should a melee with so much mobility have a on use root/slow, from range which he can spam, monks have already enough ways to get on their targets. Lets make the game more noob friendly and give warriors a shockwave that will hit the target if its selected because skill takes a lot.

#37 GrieverZ

GrieverZ
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Marksmanship 2/0/1/2/1/1
  • RBG: 1910

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:05 AM

View PostFrostwor, on 22 July 2013 - 02:15 PM, said:

This change is simply dumb why should a melee with so much mobility have a on use root/slow, from range which he can spam, monks have already enough ways to get on their targets. Lets make the game more noob friendly and give warriors a shockwave that will hit the target if its selected because skill takes a lot.

Yeah damn noobs with their noob internet noob connection. Lag is fine, l2 optic fiber.

Spoiler

OT : 10 yards is overkill but i'd settle with 5.

Edited by GrieverZ, 23 July 2013 - 03:15 AM.

#38 Neverever

Neverever
  • Members

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:27 AM

View PostFrostwor, on 22 July 2013 - 02:15 PM, said:

So obviously 2 things are happening here:

1) You haven't read the thread or at least not the long and detailed posts by me explaining the issues.

2) You don't or never have played a WW monk.

I don't know how many times I have to spell this out but it's not about INCREASING mobility it's about making it more RELIABLE. No one is asking to give monks another way to get to their target - we are just asking for the toolkit we have to be more RELIABLE, NOT BUGGY AND NOT UNDULY AFFECTED BY LAG COMPARED TO OTHER CLASSES.

If Spinning Fire Blossom used energy it would be capped by energy amount and regen so it would not be unlimited.

On top of this, the functionality that is being asked for was given to monks at the beginning of the expansion but then taken away, not for functional reasons but because it didn't make sense. What I'm talking about, which you would know if you played a monk, is that Spinning Fire Blossom only consumed chi IF it hit your target.

For an ability you have to AIM and which is affected by LAG not to mention anything else IN BETWEEN you and your target including PETS it's more than reasonable for it to have unlimited supply capped by a slow refresh rate i.e. energy regen.........

Of course, anyone that plays a ww monk knows this already.

And your shockwave comparison is ridiculous. If you want to compare it to anything compare it to typhoon.

Shockwave is melee range and has a wide cone which it targets in - spinning fire blossom needs to be targeted accurately from UP TO 50 YARDS AWAY and has a SMALL POINT which it targets in. It's like using the shotgun vs. the railgun in QL..........

Anyway, there is a better way to show you how dumb you sound - make a character on ptr, tell me the name and I'll come on there. We'll do a little test and see how many spinning fire blossoms you can hit me with, ok?

You don't like making the game "noob friendly" (as if that is even appropriate to describe what is being asked for, lol)? Please, tell me what class you play and let me suggest an ability you have to target from now on as well as have to manually vary the length of your gap closers and we can have a good laugh I'm sure.

View PostGrieverZ, on 23 July 2013 - 03:05 AM, said:

Yeah damn noobs with their noob internet noob connection. Lag is fine, l2 optic fiber.

Spoiler

OT : 10 yards is overkill but i'd settle with 5.

Hmm, yeah well whatever amount would work. Reason I suggested 10 is because, as I'm sure you know, there is the "disable hitbox issues" so maybe you would need more than 5 to counteract this.

Spinning Fire Blossom still needs to cost energy not chi and something has to be done about it hitting pets instead of your target. Dumb design in an mmo.

Btw, I realised it was modelled after "Skillshots" from MOBAs. Well, in mobas you get a pattern on the ground showing you the trajectory of your projectile before you fire it, so this is a pretty piss poor implementation........

Posted Image

I am actually working on my own "addon" that might help with the spinning fire blossom issues, but we'll see.

#39 Syncrow

Syncrow
  • Premium
  • Curse Premium

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:03 PM

View PostNeverever, on 23 July 2013 - 09:27 AM, said:

Spinning Fire Blossom still needs to cost energy not chi and something has to be done about it hitting pets instead of your target. Dumb design in an mmo.

Btw, I realised it was modelled after "Skillshots" from MOBAs. Well, in mobas you get a pattern on the ground showing you the trajectory of your projectile before you fire it, so this is a pretty piss poor implementation........

I am actually working on my own "addon" that might help with the spinning fire blossom issues, but we'll see.

I think you're overdoing it gradually. Calm yourself, do net so many thoughts. It's just a game.
If you can not cope with it, you must stop!

#40 Qtinha

Qtinha
  • Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:50 PM

I would have to say that ww monk is the spec, by far, most affected by lag issues and on a variety of abilities and that's what I had in mind when writing this:
Right off the bat, I disagree with the premise. However, I'll read it all.

1) Spinning Fire Blossom:

They need to make this ability the same way it was before it got stealth nerfed. It should only consume chi after successfully hitting a target not whenever the
ability is used.

It is so useful for peels after disable roots start dring but more importantly it is absolutely vital to get our targetless gap closers to work properly.
If our target isn't held in place by a root or already has a snare on them then it becomes too easy for anyone with half a brain to move around whilst
you are rolling so that another gap has been created by the time you land and, considering disable has hitbox issues, makes life an absolute pain if they moved
even 5 yards and you're rolling from max distance. Even if you try quake rocket launcher tactics and roll where the person will move to, again if they have half
a brain they'll counter this.

Top level players know how to exploit the chinks in ww monk mobility and they are partly there due to this dumb change that was done to SFB for no reason
whatsoever. You need something to reliably lock them down from a distance before you roll at them otherwise lag and other random crap just makes things
unnecessarily and unfairly problematic in the process.

Why SFB should be reverted to its previous form:

- too punishing compared to the absolute reliability of other class abilities in an mmo and online game
- affected by lag more than skill
- affected by mongoloid pets and hitting other things swarming around you
- totally necessary for our targetless gap closers to work properly
- after nerfs, it doesn't even hit remotely hard now
I gave up on SFB the moment I realized it hits pets, and only 10% of the time it hits the guy you're actually trying to hit. You don't even need it to catch up to people, it's more effective as a ranged finisher when all other abilities are not usable.

2) Roll:

Don't see why they can't make roll cancellable like FSK. They obviously have the technology so no reason not to make roll like this.

Roll jumping is fun and requires skill to use etc. etc. but it seems odd that such a mandatory technique of using this ability is unofficial and at
the point where roll is useless unless you're roll jumping.
Good points, I can see why you'd think that, but I wholeheartedly disagree. Jump rolling is part of the skillcap, I don't want Blizzard going around dumbing my main class down to the level of cata warriors just because some people can't handle the skillcap.

But more importantly, lag completely screws with this ability and again this should not be the case when other classes' gap closers are not affected
by lag in remotely a similar fashion.
What is this "lag" you're talking about? What ratings do you play on? I only run into high ping opponents at extremely rare occasions, even 1800 is high enough to get rid of them.

And you know what the best part is? You can still cc a monk mid roll/fsk even though he has to time, predict and think about how he uses these abilities LOL.
Yeah. That's what's called "mindgames". Predicting your enemy and countering him accordingly. What kind of message do you think you send when you want to have one of the few skill-requiring playstyles left removed from the game?

3) Disable's hitbox:

There is something really odd about this ability.
No, it's working just fine for me.

I guess everyone playing ww at some point has experienced being in "melee range" at a distance where, on any other melee, you'd easily be hitting your
target but as ww youre just spamming disable and nothing's happening, just hoping that tiny passive speed increase you have will put you into range
before the other guy puts a ranged instant snare on you again and you have to waste another gap closer because your snare (which you have to manually reapply) is
buggy as hell.
I have; actually, but only against lagging ferals. I think any class would have an issue then.

Why should the level of success with which you can use key bread and butter abilities of your class, namely roll
Because it's part of the skill-cap of the class. @my point above.

spinning fire blossom
Glyph it. Just do it.

And if some idiot says "different classes are different" then that mongoloid has completely missed the point of this.
So you debunk one of the counter arguements simply by calling the arguers "mongoloids" and "idiots" and without bringing any arguements against it.

Truly, you've bested your opponents on this issue.

and even FoF be so determined by lag when no other class has to put up with the same crap?

Let's say I'm playing on EU servers where I have relatively low latency (though it still affects these abilities) and I decide I want to play on a US
server.

Also, before you start ad hominem criticism

"And if some idiot says "different classes are different" then that mongoloid"
These three kind of go hand in hand, because I'll be nice and just give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you're trolling at this point.

I know I'm roll jumping and hitting my SFBs better than the vast majority but I refuse to put up with mechanics that are either buggy or unfairly affected by lag in comparison to other classes.
Counting aside the immense self-glorification, then show us a video of this "oh-so better than the vast majority" roll jumping that apparently is still not enough to catch up to anyone.

Inb4 "you're exaggerating" - go play a monk, you'll see I'm right.
Actually, I do. I've done it for quite some time now, been through harsher times than this. I don't think you're exaggerating, I just think you're doing something really wrong.

and no one complains about them or talks about them
http://eu.battle.net...opic/5644444520
http://www.mmo-champ...nks-suck-at-PvP
http://www.arenajunk...ndwalker-sucks/
http://www.gamefaqs....34914-/63409754
http://us.battle.net...opic/6794732004
http://www.mmo-champ...nk-pvp-Am-I-bad
http://eu.battle.net...opic/7211921164
http://eu.battle.net...opic/7818402821
http://us.battle.net...opic/7200080955
http://www.arenajunk...e-to-get-teams/
http://www.mmo-champ...seless-in-arena
http://www.mmo-champ...worried-for-PVP
http://us.battle.net...opic/8568958591
http://www.mmo-champ...competitive-PvP
http://eu.battle.net...opic/7713682538

I mean, it took them 10 months to give Xuen a control bar so we can make sure he doesn't break our powerful 4 second cc :S
I agree; though buffing Xuen would make it an even more obvious choice than it already was, him breaking CC was a ridiculous concept.

TLDR: success of ww monk mobility is affected by lag too much and theres other bugs aswell. Fix this shit.
Overall, I disagreed with about 95% of what you said.

/Qtinha

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ww, windalker, monk, lag, latency, ms

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<